HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft Picks this Summer/Draft

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-17-2012, 04:22 PM
  #276
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 32,039
vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I see your point with Ceci's qualities.

Another note is that the Sharks overbalance in picking more dmen and goalies, like Nashville. They don't have the success rate of Nashville in that regard converting those picks. Philly and Buffalo overbalance to forwards and they do have success in that area. It's OK to overbalance if you are hitting with your picks and development. Not so good if you are treading water. Nashville is a good case in point as they have not translated their dman success into exchanging converts for forwards. It looks like they recently shifted their percentages on picks and may be reaping the rewards. It appalled me when Burke was quoted as saying that if there was no particular standout for a pick that the Sharks might as well go with a dman. There were multiple things wrong with that quote and the underlying thinking.
When it comes to Ceci, I'm just saying that it wouldn't surprise me at all if this front office group took a run at him. It's the most obvious thing for them to do. It's not necessarily a bad route for them to go but I don't think it's the best route for them.

Considering the organization's state beyond the San Jose Sharks, they can use a significant amount of picks and prospects. They've started to some degree with the undrafted signings that they had with Tennyson, Stalberg, and Oleksuk.

But this draft is when they need to start loading up on picks and prospects to the best of their ability without sacrificing too much of the team in San Jose. The guys they get this year are the guys that should be on track to take over spots when the big guns are up for a new contract in 2014.

I agree that they have certain issues with their drafting. It's tough to really gauge it and what the solutions are because while they do have a red flag past the top ten in the first round, they have a decent figure beyond the first round. Sometimes, you have to take the good with the bad because the reality is that if we clean house, which I have sometimes advocated, it can get worse with who you replace them with. And the reality is that this particular organization does not go outside of itself too often and likely wouldn't even if they cleaned house with the scouting because the replacements would be within DW's circle or his replacement's (likely Joe Will) circle.

In my messed up head, I've advocated trading three guys for second round picks and trading out of the first round to get three more. So obviously, I'm not being realistic myself with certain things. To me, there is just a lot of things wrong, which is no one individual's fault, but the chances are that they won't do much and hope that it was a fluke to a large degree.

Pinkfloyd is offline  
Old
05-17-2012, 10:29 PM
  #277
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I agree that they have certain issues with their drafting. It's tough to really gauge it and what the solutions are because while they do have a red flag past the top ten in the first round, they have a decent figure beyond the first round. Sometimes, you have to take the good with the bad because the reality is that if we clean house, which I have sometimes advocated, it can get worse with who you replace them with. And the reality is that this particular organization does not go outside of itself too often and likely wouldn't even if they cleaned house with the scouting because the replacements would be within DW's circle or his replacement's (likely Joe Will) circle.
I don't have problems with your trade for quantity strategy particularly with their lack of success in the area of the draft where their first pick is. Too much cost to trade up high enough.

They need a change in criteria and a retrospective assessment with a potential pink slip or two involved. Calling the draft a crapshoot is an automatic reason for a pinkslip, it is an excuse which should not be tolerated. They are hired to be better than a dartboard (or the CSB). They need to look at their failures like calling Kopitar that @#$%@ Slovenian kid when they expended significant assets to get Seto. That assessment was clearly off. The failure of Bernier as well. Both were huge misses. Why so? How do they prevent that type of miss from happening in the future? What was wrong with their criteria? If they can't admit misses and the reasons for them, that is pinkslip time.

It is hard to form a scouting group. Each guy, especially long-term guys, represents a network of connections. Lose the guy, lose the connections. IMO, they need an overhaul and they should be looking for guys with connections in the hotbeds where they are sorely lacking. Where have the connections failed in identifcation? They probably need to lose one or two guys and add one or two as well as overhaul the criteria and possibly reorganize the hierarchy.


Last edited by SJeasy: 05-17-2012 at 10:38 PM.
SJeasy is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 03:28 PM
  #278
Sharksrule04
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 115
vCash: 500
Lets be real, the Sharks problem with drafting is they choose too many "Sharks type" players. We never take risks and choose the guy who is all flash, or the guy who seems to have it all there but has an attitude problem. We always choose guys who are typical good 2-way players and don't have any glaring weaknesses. This is why the only success we have in the draft seems to come from the later rounds. I am satisfied if a guy drafted after the 2nd round even makes it to the NHL. A player in the first round needs to be a top 6 forward or a top 3 d-man. None of this safety pick BS in the first round.

The Sharks need to take risks in the first round and try to get that next superstar. Stop draft Goc's, Kaspars, Wisharts, etc...

Sharksrule04 is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 03:32 PM
  #279
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 29,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharksrule04 View Post
Lets be real, the Sharks problem with drafting is they choose too many "Sharks type" players. We never take risks and choose the guy who is all flash, or the guy who seems to have it all there but has an attitude problem. We always choose guys who are typical good 2-way players and don't have any glaring weaknesses. This is why the only success we have in the draft seems to come from the later rounds. I am satisfied if a guy drafted after the 2nd round even makes it to the NHL. A player in the first round needs to be a top 6 forward or a top 3 d-man. None of this safety pick BS in the first round.

The Sharks need to take risks in the first round and try to get that next superstar. Stop draft Goc's, Kaspars, Wisharts, etc...
It's funny because Kaspar's problem was he was lazy and unmotivated. He had physical skills just not the mental make up.

Gene Parmesan is online now  
Old
05-18-2012, 03:47 PM
  #280
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
It's funny because Kaspar's problem was he was lazy and unmotivated. He had physical skills just not the mental make up.
Thanks. Case in point, Bernier. They aren't playing safe, they are taking risks and the risks are failing. Red flag on motivation for Wishart as well although he had the "tools". Sry10 has clearly made the point that they are taking risks.

SJeasy is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 04:06 PM
  #281
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 29,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Thanks. Case in point, Bernier. They aren't playing safe, they are taking risks and the risks are failing. Red flag on motivation for Wishart as well although he had the "tools". Sry10 has clearly made the point that they are taking risks.
Would you put Setoguchi in that group as well?

Gene Parmesan is online now  
Old
05-18-2012, 04:19 PM
  #282
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,466
vCash: 500
I see a Lukas Kaspar mention...I've not read this thread in a couple days so forgive me if this has already been said.

Kaspar was one of the most talented players to ever play for the #WorSharks, and he was absolutely the laziest. We nicknamed him "butterfly" because he floated so much. If you put his talent in Andrew Desjardins' body you'd have a perennial all star on your hands...

210 is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 04:33 PM
  #283
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Would you put Setoguchi in that group as well?
Not at Bernier, Kaspar or Wishart level. Some attitude, but not laziness per se.

SJeasy is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 04:58 PM
  #284
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 29,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Not at Bernier, Kaspar or Wishart level. Some attitude, but not laziness per se.
Ok, gotcha.

Gene Parmesan is online now  
Old
05-18-2012, 06:10 PM
  #285
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking
 
hohosaregood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,005
vCash: 500
Weren't there complaints about playing it too safe in the draft lately and wanting riskier picks?

hohosaregood is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 06:46 PM
  #286
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 29,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
Weren't there complaints about playing it too safe in the draft lately and wanting riskier picks?
My only complaint is that they have too many similiar players in recent drafts.

Gene Parmesan is online now  
Old
05-18-2012, 07:45 PM
  #287
sharkfan95
Stalock is the best
 
sharkfan95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 158
vCash: 500
Do we take a risk on Mikhail Grigorenko? i heard collberg has skating issues=/

sharkfan95 is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 08:19 PM
  #288
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,342
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
Weren't there complaints about playing it too safe in the draft lately and wanting riskier picks?
Too safe as in big. Risker as in a smaller, skilled guy. Not attitude problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkfan95 View Post
Do we take a risk on Mikhail Grigorenko? i heard collberg has skating issues=/
He's an above average skater. As for Grigorenko, I would bet a large sum of money that he won't make it to 17.

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 08:59 PM
  #289
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks
 
drumzan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,135
vCash: 500
The Sharks need to become the Oakland Raiders for a few drafts and just draft the fastest skaters. Man were they ever slow this year. Speed was clearly the reason they lost to the Blues.

drumzan is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 09:01 PM
  #290
Sharksfan83
Registered User
 
Sharksfan83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 50
Someone will take a flier on Grigorenko before he falls to us.

Sharksfan83 is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 09:06 PM
  #291
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,700
vCash: 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Too safe as in big. Risker as in a smaller, skilled guy. Not attitude problems.
They've drafted smaller, skill players before ... from Massachusetts high schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
The Sharks need to become the Oakland Raiders for a few drafts and just draft the fastest skaters. Man were they ever slow this year. Speed was clearly the reason they lost to the Blues.
I don't think the Raiders have won a playoff game since this strategy was employed...

magic school bus is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 09:08 PM
  #292
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,342
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
They've drafted smaller, skill players before ... from Massachusetts high schools
Thanks for reminding me.

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 09:25 PM
  #293
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,700
vCash: 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Thanks for reminding me.
Apparently, we are "stacked" with NCAA talent like 7th rd pick Colin Blackwell.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/colin_blackwell

Funny thing is when he busts, it will discourage them from drafting more 5-9 players. (But not from drafting more MASS HS kids)

magic school bus is offline  
Old
05-18-2012, 11:24 PM
  #294
sharkfan95
Stalock is the best
 
sharkfan95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 158
vCash: 500
As for Grigorenko, I would bet a large sum of money that he won't make it to 17.

hypothetically should we take him if he's available

sharkfan95 is offline  
Old
05-19-2012, 12:10 AM
  #295
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 32,039
vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkfan95 View Post
As for Grigorenko, I would bet a large sum of money that he won't make it to 17.

hypothetically should we take him if he's available
Why would we hypothesize about a player that we know our GM wouldn't add?

Pinkfloyd is offline  
Old
05-19-2012, 05:28 AM
  #296
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
The Sharks need to become the Oakland Raiders for a few drafts and just draft the fastest skaters. Man were they ever slow this year. Speed was clearly the reason they lost to the Blues.
Yeah. No.

The Sharks need to draft better skaters, not faster ones.

210 is offline  
Old
05-19-2012, 10:22 AM
  #297
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 29,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Yeah. No.

The Sharks need to draft better skaters, not faster ones.
Thats where people tend to get confused. They assume anyone who skates fast is a good skater. Torrey Mitchell skates fast yet blows tires and falls and is easily bumped off stride yet there are other players his size that don't have that issue since they are strong skaters aside from being fast.

Gene Parmesan is online now  
Old
05-25-2012, 10:25 PM
  #298
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants
 
SpinTheBlackCircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 33,157
vCash: 500
The mods are doing a mock draft and we ended up taking Gaunce in the first round

SpinTheBlackCircle is online now  
Old
05-25-2012, 10:33 PM
  #299
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,342
vCash: 567
Ew.

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
05-26-2012, 08:33 AM
  #300
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks
 
drumzan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
The mods are doing a mock draft and we ended up taking Gaunce in the first round
I like this.

drumzan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.