HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft Picks this Summer/Draft

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2012, 04:41 AM
Korolyuk15

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Maybe he'll slip and still be available in the 2nd round? DW drafted Sobchenko last season, maybe he's slowing getting over it? And Tarasenko's coming over, so that might help?
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
Slephyshev looks like the real deal. He's already competing well against much older men than him in the KHL. Great puck handler. Speed. Good size.
Yea, I have to say, his skill set seems impressive, only Russian prospect to be playing in the KHL full time

Will definitely be watching to see where he goes, although the sharks don't pick until 55 in the 2nd round, so I doubt he will slip that far...team like Washington will take him before that

Old
06-03-2012, 04:51 AM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

It looks like Slephyshev got drafted first overall in the KHL last year. So that might be troublesome but it does show he's got some good stuff going on then right?

Old
06-03-2012, 09:30 AM
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
It looks like Slephyshev got drafted first overall in the KHL last year. So that might be troublesome but it does show he's got some good stuff going on then right?
Absolutely. He's a risk though...who knows if he'll stay in Russia.

Old
06-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Korolyuk15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
yea, it shows he definitely has skills but I think the biggest problem is he hasn't indicated any desire to come to the NHL...is often hard to find as much information on russian prospects and I asked in the prospects section as I know there are a lot of Russian users here with insight but no one answered yet

Not sure if he came to the combine, but an interview could definitely tip the scales one way or the other....might be a case that if a team shows interest in him and wants him all of a sudden he wants to come play in the NHL, though SJ might be a hard sale compared to New York

Old
06-05-2012, 09:47 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

We took Anton Slepyshev in the 2nd round of the mod mock.

06-05-2012, 09:50 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Who else was available when you picked?
The 5 picks right after Gaunce in the first round were:

Brady Skjei, D, USNTDP
Pontus Aberg, W, Djurgarden
Slater Koekkkoek, D, Petersborough
Mark Jankowski, C, Stanstead
Phillip di Giuseppe, LW, Michigan

Old
06-05-2012, 03:03 PM
param

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
Haha, nice! Russian factor aside, guy is supposed to be loaded with pure skill.

Old
06-05-2012, 03:22 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

If the Sharks go "safe" with Guance in the 1st, why not go for the "boom or bust" guy in the 2nd, right?

Old
06-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
Absolutely. He's a risk though...who knows if he'll stay in Russia.
Curious about this.

Why would a player declare for a draft and then not want to come. Not super knowledgeable about the NHL draft but is it a lot different than the other sports?

06-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
Curious about this.

Why would a player declare for a draft and then not want to come. Not super knowledgeable about the NHL draft but is it a lot different than the other sports?
Because it's about having options.

Old
06-05-2012, 03:41 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Quote:

Brady Skjei, D, USNTDP
Ok, I like the pick more after seeing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Because it's about having options.
Yeah, it would probably help in contract negotiations.

Old
06-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Ok, I like the pick more after seeing that.

Yeah, it would probably help in contract negotiations.
Is money in the KHL that lucrative? How does NHL money compare to it?

Are all of the new player (drafted) contracts 2 way contracts? i.e do they make lesser money if they end up playing in the AHL for a year or two as opposed to the KHL?

Old
06-05-2012, 03:57 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:

Are all of the new player (drafted) contracts 2 way contracts? i.e do they make lesser money if they end up playing in the AHL for a year or two as opposed to the KHL?
Depends on the player. KHL has a little more leeway with how much they can pay guys. Generally, they can offer more to the younger guys than the ELC the NHL offers.

Old
06-05-2012, 04:09 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Sweet. I'd take that pick, especially if we go safe pick with Gaunce in the first. I approve, Spin.

Old
06-05-2012, 05:43 PM
SJeasy

Quote:

All of the NHL new player contracts are two-way. The best an NHL team can do is promise (not in writing) that the guy will be with the big club.

The KHL doesn't have the same entry level rule, but they don't pay top dollar for players of that age. What they do is pay far more than AHL pay. The problem is the differential for players in North America, it is 10/1 or higher. In the Euro elite leagues, those same players can earn 2 times and higher what they would get in the AHL. The Euro players don't like being told that they can get the cherry on top and frequently find that the NHL teams steal the cherry before they even get here or shortly after.

Old
06-05-2012, 06:10 PM

There is a mandated maximum AHL salary in ELCs in the current CBA. This season it was $70k.

Old
06-05-2012, 11:20 PM
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks

Quote:

Brady Skjei, D, USNTDP
I'd go Di Giuseppe out of those 6. Comes from a similar upbringing as Mike Camallerri. Has high end scoring capability, great burst of speed. Might be the surprise of the 1st round if they give him a couple years to develop.

Old
06-06-2012, 06:33 AM
param

Quote:
Curious about this.

PF and Young Jeezy's cousin are spot on with the financial dilemma.

Outside of money, you have to take into account that these players are still kids. Some players probably had their tires pumped throughout the juniors in Russia, and with that inflated ego, many believe they can come into the best league in the world and make an impact. Only to find out later, that they weren't properly trained for the aggressive North American playing style. Once that reality sets in, they become more pragmatic and become serious about alternative options (KHL).

On a related note, can anyone clarify when or if English is taught in Russian primary schools? Also, how family-centric people in Russia are compared to North America? Or whether the culture there has changed to where more emphasis is being placed on an independent lifestyle, like the one in the United States? Main reason I'm curious is to better understand of how much of a cultural gap some of these guys have to overcome.

Old
06-06-2012, 06:38 AM
Korolyuk15

interesting article about Slepyshev...apparently he only missed the Combine because he had an exam in school..plans to finish out his 3 year contract in Russia before considering a move to the NH

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...raft-limelight

Old
06-06-2012, 07:04 AM
param

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korolyuk15 View Post
interesting article about Slepyshev...apparently he only missed the Combine because he had an exam in school..plans to finish out his 3 year contract in Russia before considering a move to the NH

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...raft-limelight
This excerpt isn't very assuring:
Quote:
That being said, for now Slepyshev will stay in Russia. "Next year I will play here [at home], I will play the next two seasons in Novokuznetsk". He was signed to a three-year deal, as per rules, after the KHL junior draft.

For now he doesn't think about a move. "It's too early to think about going there [in North America]. I still need to develop as a player and I think it will be better to me thinking about improving my game first." Slepyshev added that "it's absolutely not important what team will draft me. I just hope to get picked."
Usually players make a big deal about wanting to play in North America, and eventually don't. Since he's certain about not wanting to play in NA right now, does that mean he eventually will?

Old
06-06-2012, 07:47 AM
Korolyuk15

Quote:
Originally Posted by param View Post

Usually players make a big deal about wanting to play in North America, and eventually don't. Since he's certain about not wanting to play in NA right now, does that mean he eventually will?
yea, isn't the "politically correct" answer...but honesty is refreshing, better than claiming he wants to come and then never following through, means he is realistic about needing to develop and teams know what they are getting....might even get him with a 3rd round pick

Old
06-06-2012, 08:54 AM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by param View Post

I actually think it shows a level of responsibility and professionalism. He's honoring his contract and he's decided on growing as a player first. If we do get him with a second, I don't think I'd hate him too much if he stayed over there.

Old
06-06-2012, 11:47 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korolyuk15 View Post
yea, isn't the "politically correct" answer...but honesty is refreshing, better than claiming he wants to come and then never following through, means he is realistic about needing to develop and teams know what they are getting....might even get him with a 3rd round pick
Totally agree. It's nice to have some honesty... and I admit that my thoughts were exactly the bolded.

Old
06-06-2012, 01:56 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.csnbayarea.com/hockey-san...50&feedID=2798

Kurz looks at what Sharks might do with 1st round pick.

Old
06-09-2012, 08:35 AM
Le Rosbeef

I know I should be excited about the Sharks highest draft pick for 5 years but I just can't. I honestly think the team should trade backwards or use it in a deal for this year as I don't see the value of this 17th overall pick in the way it may have been in previous years, etc.

If we do use it, I absolutely don't want Subban. No disrespect to the kid - he seems like he's got his head screwed on well, but I don't think you should be spending a first round pick on a goalie. Too many variables.

Trading backwards a guy who catches my eye is Nick Kerdiles - USNDT, two way guy, terrific hockey IQ, gritty, versatile, hard worker. To me, he has 2nd line centre written all over him and the usual knock (his skating is 'average') seems to be something that the Sharks have not been disuaded by. If he turns into Logan Part Deux, I'd be delighted but at worst he looks like a solid high end 3C. Perhaps a bit conservative but he's clearly got some offense about him.

In fact, I'd arguably love to see the Sharks trade back and get two seconds, take Kerdiles and yes, I know I'll get slammed for it, Martin Frk. Disregarding his concussions and poor skating knocks, the guy has scorer written all over him to me. His ceiling is high and I'd gladly take the risk.

In so far as later/sleeper picks are concerned, I reeeeeeeeally like the look of Mackenzie MacEachern. If we could pick him up with 138th overall I think we'd be extremely happy.

Closed Thread