HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft Picks this Summer/Draft

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2012, 10:07 AM
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks

vCash: 500
I think the Sharks need better skaters. Hampus Lindholm could arguably be the best skater in the draft. He's a class act teammate. Good offensive skills. The Sharks would be losing out on a great franchise player if they pass on him at 17.

Two other guys I really like are Phil DiGiuseppe who has a similar upbringing to Michael Camallerri. And Anton Slepyshev is a risk worth taking in the 2nd round.

Old
06-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Janney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Rosbeef View Post
I know I should be excited about the Sharks highest draft pick for 5 years but I just can't. I honestly think the team should trade backwards or use it in a deal for this year as I don't see the value of this 17th overall pick in the way it may have been in previous years, etc.

If we do use it, I absolutely don't want Subban. No disrespect to the kid - he seems like he's got his head screwed on well, but I don't think you should be spending a first round pick on a goalie. Too many variables.

Trading backwards a guy who catches my eye is Nick Kerdiles - USNDT, two way guy, terrific hockey IQ, gritty, versatile, hard worker. To me, he has 2nd line centre written all over him and the usual knock (his skating is 'average') seems to be something that the Sharks have not been disuaded by. If he turns into Logan Part Deux, I'd be delighted but at worst he looks like a solid high end 3C. Perhaps a bit conservative but he's clearly got some offense about him.

In fact, I'd arguably love to see the Sharks trade back and get two seconds, take Kerdiles and yes, I know I'll get slammed for it, Martin Frk. Disregarding his concussions and poor skating knocks, the guy has scorer written all over him to me. His ceiling is high and I'd gladly take the risk.

In so far as later/sleeper picks are concerned, I reeeeeeeeally like the look of Mackenzie MacEachern. If we could pick him up with 138th overall I think we'd be extremely happy.
http://www.chicagosteelhockeyteam.co...12/5-22-12.php
Quote:
Max Giese's Scouting Report: MacKenzie is an NHL prospect that we didn't think would fall to us at 4th overall. We were very surprised and extremely thrilled when he did. MacKenzie is a big, fast, powerful, and skilled forward who can individually dominate a game. He exuded leadership this year with Brothers Rice and for Team Michigan at the NIT were both of teams won championships. We can't emphasize enough how excited we are to have MacKenzie join our organization and we were shocked to see him fall to the 4th overall pick. We thought he could go as high as 1st overall.
Got some X-Sharkie connections going on. Max is currently the Director of Player Personnel (essentially scouting) for the Chicago Steel of the USHL. http://www.chicagosteelhockeyteam.com/team/staff.php

CS has MacEachern ranked at 138th amongst NA Skaters, and he wasn't in their mid-season rankings. Depending on who actually sent their scouts to see the kid, he may very well be available around that range. http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectbrowse.htm?pg=3

Old
06-09-2012, 06:00 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

Id like to move back, pick up a 2nd, and nab Tanner Pearson or Tom Wilson. Pearson would also fit perfectly on Thornton's wing, and before you say he wont play in the NHL this year, he's already 20, and will be AHL eligible next year. Easily could see some time there. Wilson is a Lucic or bust guy, but id chance it.

Old
06-09-2012, 06:09 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1891
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloweForbidzYou View Post
Id like to move back, pick up a 2nd, and nab Tanner Pearson or Tom Wilson. Pearson would also fit perfectly on Thornton's wing, and before you say he wont play in the NHL this year, he's already 20, and will be AHL eligible next year. Easily could see some time there. Wilson is a Lucic or bust guy, but id chance it.
I don't think much of Wilson. I have my doubts that he'll be an effective scorer in the NHL.

Old
06-09-2012, 06:29 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
I think the Sharks need better skaters. Hampus Lindholm could arguably be the best skater in the draft. He's a class act teammate. Good offensive skills. The Sharks would be losing out on a great franchise player if they pass on him at 17.

Two other guys I really like are Phil DiGiuseppe who has a similar upbringing to Michael Camallerri. And Anton Slepyshev is a risk worth taking in the 2nd round.
He goes to Michigan, so that's a positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloweForbidzYou View Post
Not interested. Pearson was completely passed over in the draft. The system isn't that wrong very often.

Old
06-09-2012, 06:34 PM
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
He goes to Michigan, so that's a positive.

Not interested. Pearson was completely passed over in the draft. The system isn't that wrong very often.
Yup. DiGiuseppe has high end scoring capability, good speed in the neutral zone. Sharks could probably trade down to later 1st and still draft him.

Old
06-09-2012, 07:08 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korolyuk15 View Post
yea, isn't the "politically correct" answer...but honesty is refreshing, better than claiming he wants to come and then never following through, means he is realistic about needing to develop and teams know what they are getting....might even get him with a 3rd round pick
Bad news: We don't have a 3rd round pick.
Good news: We have James Sheppard?

Old
06-09-2012, 08:43 PM

I know this is way easier said than done, but at this point the Sharks have to make damn sure they get an NHLer in the 1st round. With far too many busts by taking long shots and projects they need to make as close to a "guaranteed" pick as they can, even if it is just a guy that projects out as a borderline 2nd line forward.

Old
06-09-2012, 08:59 PM
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
I know this is way easier said than done, but at this point the Sharks have to make damn sure they get an NHLer in the 1st round. With far too many busts by taking long shots and projects they need to make as close to a "guaranteed" pick as they can, even if it is just a guy that projects out as a borderline 2nd line forward.
If this is your criteria, I think Lindholm, DiGiuseppe, Gaunce or Ceci are good choices.

Old
06-10-2012, 12:12 AM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Who is Tom Wilson and why does he keep getting mentioned here?

Old
06-10-2012, 02:09 AM
magic school bus

Fun read: Wisconsin 1st round picks

I believe someone asked for SJ to draft a "sure thing" guaranteed NHL player?

Quote:
As of today, all Badger first round picks no longer at Wisconsin have played in the NHL, and many have excelled while others are still developing their games with the hopes of greatness.
http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...062209aaa.html

Guess who's a projected 1st rounder who's also going to UW?

Old
06-10-2012, 02:20 AM
Janney

Quote:
Fun read: Wisconsin 1st round picks

I believe someone asked for SJ to draft a "sure thing" guaranteed NHL player?

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...062209aaa.html

Guess who's a projected 1st rounder who's also going to UW?
Why not just say who it is...

Old
06-10-2012, 02:36 AM
sjshark91

Quote:
I think that's Bad news, Worse news.

Old
06-10-2012, 02:40 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Quote:

Old
06-10-2012, 02:42 AM
Howe Elbows 9

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by param View Post
Why not just say who it is...
It's Kerdiles.

Old
06-10-2012, 03:04 AM
magic school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
I think that's Bad news, Worse news.
"That's the joke" .jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolorous Edd View Post
It's Kerdiles.
Bingo. There's only one Wisconsin recruit projected that high (Nic Kerdiles). Didn't think I'd have to say the name.

Just something to think about, since SJ will go the college route like always. They just need a couple tweaks and we'll have much better talent coming in from those picks.

Old
06-10-2012, 03:07 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
"That's the joke" .jpg

Bingo. There's only one Wisconsin recruit projected that high (Nic Kerdiles). Didn't think I'd have to say the name.

Just something to think about, since SJ will go the college route like always. They just need a couple tweaks and we'll have much better talent coming in from those picks.
I don't know why there's discussion over who to draft.

Everyone should know by now that Cody Ceci is our pick this year. It's gonna happen and I hope you guys get used to it. lol

Old
06-10-2012, 03:16 AM
magic school bus

And we're drafting a 5'7" kid from Massachusetts in the mid to late rounds.

Old
06-10-2012, 05:31 AM
Le Rosbeef

Quote:
"That's the joke" .jpg

The more I read, the more I like NK. Definitely think we could trade down to get him though...

Old
06-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I don't know why there's discussion over who to draft.

Everyone should know by now that Cody Ceci is our pick this year. It's gonna happen and I hope you guys get used to it. lol
When DW says "We are taking the best player available," that means we are taking the best 67 available.

Old
06-10-2012, 12:11 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Many mock drafts have us picking this guy:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...fINqqpBvsp7YNQ

He has a Shark name too. Seems like a good pick to me.

Old
06-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Sebastion Colberg is the type of guy we need.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...m9TpHEunJRFsow

Old
06-10-2012, 01:04 PM
glasgow26

The "safest" pick at #17 would probably be Brendan Gaunce, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised at all if that's who we end up taking. He's considered a lock to be at least a good third-line center, with the potential to be a two-way second-line center. He can also play LW. He has great hockey sense but below average skating. Sounds like a Sharks prospect to me.

Old
06-10-2012, 01:52 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post

Quote:
Sebastion Colberg is the type of guy we need.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...m9TpHEunJRFsow
I would rather pick Collberg. He fits a need and has a higher upside than Finn does. Unfortunately I think DW will play it safe and pick up Gaunce or Finn.

06-10-2012, 02:18 PM
Vaasa

Quote:

No thanks. Another defenseman is not what the Sharks need. Let alone one with motivation issues.

EDIT: I should say "in the first round". I think the Sharks need to use their 1st on the best forward they can. Especially if that player is a winger (and even more so a RW, which they desperately need more of).

Last edited by Vaasa: 06-10-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Closed Thread