HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Draft Picks this Summer/Draft

Closed Thread

Old
06-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Actually, if I have to pick a guy it might Henrik Samuelsson. He's a RW with good size, played in the USNTDP (which DW seems to love), currently playing in the WHL (most NHL-like of the junior leagues). A 2-way guy who is good along the boards, in front of the net, and who can play lots of roles (F1 checker, set-up guy, net presence, shooter). Grew up in North America.

Seems like a good pick. So DW will probably pass him by.

Old
06-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Vaasa

I haven't kept up with the prospect thread. Has there been any talk of getting Matt Pelech's brother Adam? http://thehockeywriters.com/adam-pel...ily-tradition/

I have no idea where he will go in the draft. Does anyone have any ideas on how he might fit for the Sharks. He's a defenseman, which is not an overwhelming need. But he is more offensively gifted than his brother it seems.

Old
06-10-2012, 01:50 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 999
I'm not interested in getting in on the "Pelech genes." Law of diminishing returns, says he probably won't even make it to the NHL...

Old
06-10-2012, 03:43 PM
param

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Not interested. Pearson was completely passed over in the draft. The system isn't that wrong very often.
Justin Braun, Jason Demers, and Tommy Wingels were all 20 years old when drafted by San Jose. Granted Wingels was picked in the 6th, while Braun and Demers were picked in the 7th. Players do get overlooked.

The thing with Pearson is that during his first draft eligible year, he played in the GOJHL, which doesn't get much recognition. The following year he moved to the OHL with Barrie and didn't have a sparkling rookie season. It wasn't until this past season where he busted out with 91 pts in 60 games. If teams are looking for a guy who could step in right away to the pros, Pearson is a valid option.

Old
06-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
No thanks. Another defenseman is not what the Sharks need. Let alone one with motivation issues.

EDIT: I should say "in the first round". I think the Sharks need to use their 1st on the best forward they can. Especially if that player is a winger (and even more so a RW, which they desperately need more of).
Cody Ceci is none of these things yet you should know that is who DW will draft.

Old
06-10-2012, 04:03 PM
param

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Cody Ceci is none of these things yet you should know that is who DW will draft.
Brian Kilrea never coached Ceci, I think we'll be safe.

Old
06-10-2012, 04:18 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by param View Post
Justin Braun, Jason Demers, and Tommy Wingels were all 20 years old when drafted by San Jose. Granted Wingels was picked in the 6th, while Braun and Demers were picked in the 7th. Players do get overlooked.

The thing with Pearson is that during his first draft eligible year, he played in the GOJHL, which doesn't get much recognition. The following year he moved to the OHL with Barrie and didn't have a sparkling rookie season. It wasn't until this past season where he busted out with 91 pts in 60 games. If teams are looking for a guy who could step in right away to the pros, Pearson is a valid option.
much lower risk with those guys as 6th/7th round picks. you have to draft pearson in the 1st or 2nd round. if he's anything more than a 3rd liner, i will be shocked. like i said, the system isn't wrong very often.

as much as i love wingels/demers/braun, they're right around where they should be (3rd/4th liners and bottom pairing/#4 defensemen)

Old
06-10-2012, 04:42 PM
param

Quote:
much lower risk with those guys as 6th/7th round picks. you have to draft pearson in the 1st or 2nd round. if he's anything more than a 3rd liner, i will be shocked. like i said, the system isn't wrong very often.

as much as i love wingels/demers/braun, they're right around where they should be (3rd/4th liners and bottom pairing/#4 defensemen)
Except now the system (Central Scouting) has him ranked 25th amongst NA skaters, so the system is trying to correct itself and give the guy a proper ranking.

In regards to Demers, Braun, and Wingels I don't think you can make an absolute statement about where they should be after only a couple of seasons. Demers has three seasons, Braun only has two, and Wingels has only played 38 NHL games. Braun/Demers have the potential to be good/decent second pairing PMDs, and Wingels has the potential to be a 40pt second liner. It all depends on which way the coaching staff will steer them.

Old
06-10-2012, 05:48 PM
magic school bus

He's being overrated now by the same people who thought he wasn't even worth a 7th round draft pick. And the OHL is probably the most scouted amateur league.

Tim Burke gives some insight into why Demers/Wingels weren't picked before in here.
http://sharks.nhl.com/club/pageprint.htm?id=46474

If you think TP's so improved, then what's different about him?

Old
06-11-2012, 12:24 AM
param

Quote:
He's being overrated now by the same people who thought he wasn't even worth a 7th round draft pick. And the OHL is probably the most scouted amateur league.

Tim Burke gives some insight into why Demers/Wingels weren't picked before in here.
http://sharks.nhl.com/club/pageprint.htm?id=46474

If you think TP's so improved, then what's different about him?
On the stat sheet alone finishing 3rd in his league with 91 is quite impressive. Add that with scouting agencies and analysts placing him in the top-60 holds some weight. Their words hold greater validity than say fans on a message board, like you or me. Pearson may very well be a 3rd liner or just an AHLer, but after the top-10, you sort of run that risk with virtually every single player.

Pearson is not a bad option for a team who may want youthful presence right away. He'll be 19 on draft day and 20 by the time the season starts, that gives teams a lot of flexibility, even if he spends most of the year in the minors.

Old
06-11-2012, 12:51 AM
magic school bus

Re: (The points) Pearson plays on the same team as a certain #7 overall draft pick, Mark Scheifele. I'm sure that's not a coincidence. Funny story, we once drafted Patrice Bergeron's linemate from juniors...I forgot what his name was. You tend to forget those junior teammates, because they usually suck and were just leeching numbers off a star player.

Old
06-11-2012, 01:21 AM
hohosaregood

vCash: 500
Quote:
Re: (The points) Pearson plays on the same team as a certain #7 overall draft pick, Mark Scheifele. I'm sure that's not a coincidence. Funny story, we once drafted Patrice Bergeron's linemate from juniors...I forgot what his name was. You tend to forget those junior teammates, because they usually suck and were just leeching numbers off a star player.
The problem is that sometimes you don't know who is leaching off of who. Sometimes it's obvious and sometimes it's not.

Old
06-11-2012, 10:58 AM
magic school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
The problem is that sometimes you don't know who is leaching off of who. Sometimes it's obvious and sometimes it's not.
This is true. Scheifele played 7 games in the NHL this year, so I have to believe it's him.

Old
06-11-2012, 11:19 AM
McLovin25
Eberle=Clutch

Quote:
This is true. Scheifele played 7 games in the NHL this year, so I have to believe it's him.
I believe Pearson actually tore up the league when Scheifele was away at camp and playing the NHL games.

Wanna try again?

Not saying he's the next Taylor Hall or anything, but he'll be a solid top 6er with good hands around the net.

I also like Samuelson as Vaasa suggested. We'd have to take him at #17 or trade back though because I'd bet Edmonton takes him at 32/31 if he's still there.

Old
06-11-2012, 12:36 PM
magic school bus

Oh, please. How many games was that? 10? 20? You're going to draft a player based off of 20 games in juniors??

I wish I could find a list of all the undrafted (or past over players like Pearson would be) former OHL players in the NHL. I can only think of David Clarkson off the top of my head. It's just so rare.

Old
06-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Lebanezer

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

Craig Button's new draft rankings.

Players of interest:
11. Ceci
13. Ryan Murray
20. Grigorenko
21. Wilson
27. Collberg
33. Aberg
34. Koekkoek
38. Gaunce
51. Kerdiles

Interesting list.

Old
06-11-2012, 03:00 PM
param

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanezer View Post

Players of interest:
11. Ceci
13. Ryan Murray
20. Grigorenko
21. Wilson
27. Collberg
33. Aberg
34. Koekkoek
38. Gaunce
51. Kerdiles

Interesting list.
Interesting list indeed. You have to figure Button will tend to rank players through a GM's perspective, rather than rank them based on talent alone. Last year's top-10 final ranking by Button was fairly close to the actual picks.

Still don't fully understand Grigorenko's drop, but it is plausible for a highly touted Russian prospect to go from the top-5 to the top-20 (Alexei Cherepanov, 2007). Or, aside from the KHL worry, it could be a similar situation like with Logan Couture. Where his ranking dropped because he played through mono.

Quote:
I think you're referring to Jonathan Tremblay. San Jose drafted him during the 7th round back in 2003, and while Tremblay and Bergeron were teammates, I don't think they played together. During the year both of them were on the same team, Tremblay had one point in 62 games, along with 232 PIMs. So unless if Jonathan found a way to leech PIMs, San Jose drafted him with completely different expectations.

Last edited by param: 06-11-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old
06-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Vaasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanezer View Post

Players of interest:
11. Ceci
13. Ryan Murray
20. Grigorenko
21. Wilson
27. Collberg
33. Aberg
34. Koekkoek
38. Gaunce
51. Kerdiles

Interesting list.
Don't want Ceci, Murray, Koekkoek, or Gaunce. Add Faksa (17), and Samuelsson (29). Aberg I'm on the bubble.

Old
06-11-2012, 03:29 PM
param

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
Don't want Ceci, Murray, Koekkoek, or Gaunce. Add Faksa (17), and Samuelsson (29). Aberg I'm on the bubble.
If Ryan Murray some how drops to San Jose, they better jump on him right away. Even if he drops to where Button has him ranked, it would not be an awful move for San Jose to move up and get him. Murray's selection may be very similar to the Cam Fowler selection from 2010.

Old
06-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by param View Post
If Ryan Murray some how drops to San Jose, they better jump on him right away. Even if he drops to where Button has him ranked, it would not be an awful move for San Jose to move up and get him. Murray's selection may be very similar to the Cam Fowler selection from 2010.
Ceci, Murray are going to be the BPA if they fall down as far as us. No way DW does not grab one of them. Surprised by the low ranking of Murray. He looked like a lock-in for the 2nd or 3rd only a few weeks back. Wonder if the combine hurt him?

Ideally I would like to move down (for picks) and grab Collberg in the mid 20s. He seems to have good upside and fits a need.

06-11-2012, 03:36 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
Ceci, Murray are going to be the BPA if they fall down as far as us. No way DW does not grab one of them. Surprised by the low ranking of Murray. He looked like a lock-in for the 2nd or 3rd only a few weeks back. Wonder if the combine hurt him?

Ideally I would like to move down (for picks) and grab Collberg in the mid 20s. He seems to have good upside and fits a need.
The combine didn't hurt him. He scored tops in endurance testing. It's because Button punishes guys for having lower upside. That's why you see Gaunce so low, why Couturier was lower in his rankings, etc. Murray is a safe pick. He's a guy who can step into a #4/5 role right now. Frankly, if he drops to us and we pass, that would be idiotic. He fits our needs NOW. A cheap, LH TWD who can probably earn a top-4 spot by the end of the season.

As for Collberg, he also won't drop as far as Button's rankings. He'll probably be gone by our pick.

Old
06-12-2012, 09:28 AM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
I know this is way easier said than done, but at this point the Sharks have to make damn sure they get an NHLer in the 1st round. They need to make as close to a "guaranteed" pick as they can, even if it is just a guy that projects out as a borderline 2nd line forward.
I agree which is why taking the BPA is more often than not a good move, yes, even if that BPA is a d-man this year.

There are actually several prospects in the first two rounds of this draft that are very likely to be NHLers, just not many are projected to be top line / top pairing players. That said, getting a 2nd liner or a #3/4 d-man at 17 would be very good.

Though, after reading a tiny bit of this thread I have a feeling that no matter who the Sharks pick a lot of the fans here won't be happy.

Old
06-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
I agree which is why taking the BPA is more often than not a good move, yes, even if that BPA is a d-man this year.

There are actually several prospects in the first two rounds of this draft that are very likely to be NHLers, just not many are projected to be top line / top pairing players. That said, getting a 2nd liner or a #3/4 d-man at 17 would be very good.

Though, after reading a tiny bit of this thread I have a feeling that no matter who the Sharks pick a lot of the fans here won't be happy.
I won't be happy if they keep this pick. They are better off trading out to get more opportunities or trading up and getting high quality depending on what's available. Staying with what they have in this draft isn't going to be good enough with just two picks in the first four rounds.

Old
06-12-2012, 04:42 PM
magic school bus

I'd rather have 2 picks in the first 4 rounds than 1 (which is what would happen if we traded up)

Old
06-12-2012, 04:44 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
I'd rather have 2 picks in the first 4 rounds than 1 (which is what would happen if we traded up)
It depends on what it is. I'd take a top 5 one over two that are 17 and 55.

Closed Thread