HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft Picks this Summer/Draft

Closed Thread

Old
06-20-2012, 09:37 AM
sr228

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
Moving up does not make sense from DW's policy about getting the BPA. But if he already has someone specific in mind then he may just do it to get that one person.
Wilson had traded up in the draft several times to get the guy the org. thinks is the BPA. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he does it again this year.

Though, considering this draft class I also wouldn't be at all surprised if he traded the first round pick for multiple later picks.

It's pretty hard to get a handle (more than usual) on how this draft might play out.

Old
06-20-2012, 09:44 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
s'all good, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Gaunce is not Getzlaf-lite in anyway whatsoever. He's more like a bigger Pavelski without the offense. Most likely going to be a 3rd liner. Very poor skating.
Pavelski is a poor skater.

Gaunce should be our guy if we take a forward. But I am leaning more and more towards Hampus Lindholm

06-20-2012, 10:37 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
Pavelski is a poor skater.

Gaunce should be our guy if we take a forward. But I am leaning more and more towards Hampus Lindholm
I know. What part of 'bigger Pavelski without the offense' implied differently? I want absolutely no part of Gaunce.

Old
06-20-2012, 12:11 PM
OrrNumber4

Spoke to my guy in the Sharks org specifically about the draft, and about Grigorenko. Sharks feel that he will be taken top-10; projected to be taken by Montreal.

He was of the opinion that SJ would definitely draft him at 17. Big, two-way center; Sharks love that. A potential JT replacement down the line; the all-around game would make up for the fact that he is rumored to be lazy. DW is often worried about commitment to the NHL, but Grigorenko has already come to the CHL; SJ also drafted Kaspar (also another player with laziness issues) because he had come here. He pointed out that SJ drafted Bernier, another player with off-ice issues, and that they knew that Wishart and Setoguchi were not perfect when they drafted them.

Guy also liked Steffan Matteau, a winger from Michigan whose name he forgot (I am guessing it is Di Guiespie), and Damon Severson. But he has no influence over who gets drafted.

This guy works pretty intimately with the team when it comes to the draft, so I weight his words pretty heavily.

Old
06-20-2012, 12:28 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=10145

Rusanowsky's take on draft.

Pulled out a few familiar names (Matteau, McGinn).

Old
06-20-2012, 12:35 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
Spoke to my guy in the Sharks org specifically about the draft, and about Grigorenko. Sharks feel that he will be taken top-10; projected to be taken by Montreal.

He was of the opinion that SJ would definitely draft him at 17. Big, two-way center; Sharks love that. A potential JT replacement down the line; the all-around game would make up for the fact that he is rumored to be lazy. DW is often worried about commitment to the NHL, but Grigorenko has already come to the CHL; SJ also drafted Kaspar (also another player with laziness issues) because he had come here. He pointed out that SJ drafted Bernier, another player with off-ice issues, and that they knew that Wishart and Setoguchi were not perfect when they drafted them.

Guy also liked Steffan Matteau, a winger from Michigan whose name he forgot (I am guessing it is Di Guiespie), and Damon Severson. But he has no influence over who gets drafted.

This guy works pretty intimately with the team when it comes to the draft, so I weight his words pretty heavily.
Did he have any idea on the possibility of trading up or down?

Old
06-20-2012, 12:37 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Funnily enough, the guy I see Grigs compared to the most is Joe Thornton.

Old
06-20-2012, 02:15 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Did he have any idea on the possibility of trading up or down?
No. But he mentioned a few years ago that DW favors trading up.

A couple of years ago he mentioned the philosophy change between DL's and DW's staffs. DL felt that there was a lot of talent in the draft, with whether or not the talent manifests being dependent on variance; he was always prone to trading down. DW feels that there is simply less talent in the draft; you are better off getting 5 players you really like than 10 you had to settle for.

Old
06-20-2012, 03:14 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-goa...0755--nhl.html

THN article: Goalies, the ultimate asset.

Talks about the Sharks history of drafts, using goalies to get picks, etc.

Old
06-20-2012, 05:32 PM
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks

Quote:

I would love it if Di Giuseppe gets drafted by the Sharks. Has high end scoring ability with great speed in the neutral zone. My wish list for the Sharks 17th pick is Lindholm or Di Giuseppe.

Old
06-20-2012, 08:57 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=635266

NHL article on some of the players (including th Sharks Niemi and Boyle) who were undrafted.

Old
06-21-2012, 02:28 AM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
I would love it if Di Giuseppe gets drafted by the Sharks. Has high end scoring ability with great speed in the neutral zone. My wish list for the Sharks 17th pick is Lindholm or Di Giuseppe.
I am a Di Giuseppe fan as well. He's fast, physical, and is a great finisher. Lindholm is one of the best skaters in the draft, I'm interested in him. But I think our #1 target should be Collberg.

Old
06-21-2012, 07:06 AM
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
I am a Di Giuseppe fan as well. He's fast, physical, and is a great finisher. Lindholm is one of the best skaters in the draft, I'm interested in him. But I think our #1 target should be Collberg.
Collberg has been dropping in the rankings. What do you like about him?

Old
06-21-2012, 08:24 AM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
Collberg has been dropping in the rankings. What do you like about him?
He has good speed, good hands and is a winger. Should fit our needs well.

I actually have seen him being taken by the Caps at #16 in a few drafts. Would not be surprised if DW does end up moving up after all.

06-21-2012, 09:27 AM
sr228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
He has good speed, good hands and is a winger. Should fit our needs well.

I actually have seen him being taken by the Caps at #16 in a few drafts. Would not be surprised if DW does end up moving up after all.
The Sharks shouldn't be drafting by position if they use their 1st round pick...I'd be really happy if they take Collberg but they need to take the BPA regardess of what position they play.

Regarding Collberg "falling" (which he's really not, seen him ranked as high as 11), scouts value skills / attributes differently. Button / MacKenzie seem to value size a bit more than others, a guy like Corey Pronman doesn't seem to really take that into consideration (unless the player is pretty small).

In my opinion, the two things the Sharks should value the most in the first round this year are puck skills and hockey sense.

Old
06-21-2012, 10:05 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
The Sharks shouldn't be drafting by position if they use their 1st round pick...I'd be really happy if they take Collberg but they need to take the BPA regardess of what position they play.

Regarding Collberg "falling" (which he's really not, seen him ranked as high as 11), scouts value skills / attributes differently. Button / MacKenzie seem to value size a bit more than others, a guy like Corey Pronman doesn't seem to really take that into consideration (unless the player is pretty small).

In my opinion, the two things the Sharks should value the most in the first round this year are puck skills and hockey sense.
I would put skating right up there too. They cannot afford to draft anymore poor skaters.

Old
06-21-2012, 10:29 AM

Can we draft Max Iafrate? What is he like a 3rd or 4th rounder? The kid is big. And who doesnt like that bloodline??

Old
06-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Alaskanice

I agree about drafting Max. I mentioned it somewhere here a month or so ago. If he's half of what dad was, I'm for it!!

Old
06-21-2012, 01:06 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:

That sounds like Zemgus Girgensons but I think they might need to trade up for him.

Old
06-21-2012, 01:21 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskanice View Post
I agree about drafting Max. I mentioned it somewhere here a month or so ago. If he's half of what dad was, I'm for it!!
Iafrate? Really?

Old
06-21-2012, 01:48 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskanice View Post
Especially if he's the half that doesn't include the Planet's knees or back

Is he a similar type player to his dad?

Old
06-21-2012, 02:08 PM

Max is already 6'2" 220 lbs and he is still only 18. One would have to think that Big Al has taught his son that booming slap shot... He is ranked #70 North American skaters.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:01 PM
Chaotic8
Boarding Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209 View Post
Max is already 6'2" 220 lbs and he is still only 18. One would have to think that Big Al has taught his son that booming slap shot... He is ranked #70 North American skaters.
With that much size, how's his mobility?

Old
06-21-2012, 04:50 PM

Write up on Max Iafrate...

http://theprospectblog.com/2012/05/1...t-max-iafrate/

Old
06-21-2012, 05:20 PM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAren'tComing

vCash: 50000

Closed Thread