HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft Picks this Summer/Draft

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2012, 12:50 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanezer View Post
1. Nail Yakupov
2. Mathew Dumba
3. Filip Forsberg
4. Morgan Rielly
5. Alex Galchenyuk
6. Griffin Reinhart
7. Teuvo Teravainen
8. Matt Finn
9. Hampus Lindholm
10. Malcolm Subban
11. Cody Ceci
12. Ryan Murray
13. Jacob Trouba
14. Mikhail Grigorenko
15. Mark Jankowski
16. Zemgus Girgensons
17. Derrick Pouliot
18. Radek Faksa
19. Sebastian Collberg
20. Andrei Vasilevski
21. Ludvig Bystrom
22. Tom Wilson
23. Tomas Hertl
24. Pontus Aberg
25. Gemel Smith
26. Brenden Gaunce
27. Phillip Di Giuseppe
28. Michael Matheson
29. Oscar Dansk
30. Scott Laughton

These are Craig Button's ratings from TSN, they are quite different than the ones you put. If Collberg could be had behind where we're slotted might want to trade back and get some extra picks. http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

I can't believe how far Grigorenko has fallen in his rankings.
Boom. Girgensons @ 16. It's destiny.

Old
04-27-2012, 01:00 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

I think we should move up to grab Hampus. He looks to be a combination of Lidstrom and Holmstom

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Old
04-27-2012, 01:42 PM

San Jose should draft a really big, slow defenseman...an organization can't have too many of those.

Old
04-27-2012, 01:44 PM
magic school bus

On 2nd thought, those rankings are terrible. Grigs at 14 takes away credibility from the rankings.

Old
04-27-2012, 03:24 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volks View Post
The player DW need to draft is Teuvo Teräväinen, his potential is off the charts and could be a superstar in a few years. Him and Collberg are exactly the type of offensive players the sharks need to draft.
I don't know. None of these kids outside the top five really jump out at me. I think they need to reload the pool with more than just the picks that they got and the undrafted free agents they picked up. I mean Oleksuk, Stalberg, and Tennyson can be good pickups but it still leaves a fairly big gap from their ages of 22 and 23 back down to the 18-20 area where we really only have Matt Nieto that looks promising.

All they have in this draft are their 1st, the 55th, their 5th, 6th, and 7th, and Tampa's 7th. Unless they're moving pro players, they're not likely going to trade up and 6 picks mostly coming from the final three rounds isn't good enough. I think they're going to have to parlay that 1st into a few more picks. Hopefully, the trade back and out plan is available to them because it's feasible for them to turn that 1st into 3 2nd rounders and it would get them out of a trouble area and into an area they've generally done well at.

Old
04-27-2012, 07:23 PM
sharkfan95
Stalock is the best

I'm pretty pissed that we traded our really high second for dom moore. I wanted to draft Tomas Hertl if he slid from his spot.

Old
04-27-2012, 07:31 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkfan95 View Post
I'm pretty pissed that we traded our really high second for dom moore. I wanted to draft Tomas Hertl if he slid from his spot.
They can still move pieces for a pick near that spot.

Old
04-29-2012, 01:18 PM
glasgow26

Jamie McGinn's brother, Brock, is projected to go in the second round this year by a lot of experts. Would be kinda cool to pick him up at #55 if he's still on the board. Has anyone seen him play?

Old
04-29-2012, 01:58 PM
Arrch

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow26 View Post
Jamie McGinn's brother, Brock, is projected to go in the second round this year by a lot of experts. Would be kinda cool to pick him up at #55 if he's still on the board. Has anyone seen him play?
The potential Pokemon references/gifs alone would make it worth it.

Old
04-29-2012, 02:50 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow26 View Post
He probably plays like Jamie and Tye do. Rugged. Sharks need to get forwards, a quick, creative forward ala Giroux and a size/speed guy like Kreider. They don't need to be immediate players but hopefully ready to go by 2014.

Old
04-29-2012, 04:06 PM
sjshark91

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
San Jose should draft a really big, slow defenseman...an organization can't have too many of those.

Old
04-29-2012, 04:30 PM
magic school bus

If I was suggesting something, I would say draft more college players from the powerhouse schools - Boston College, Wisconsin, etc.*

"Breaking down the list of 300 [current NHL players from US colleges] players by college sees the University of Michigan leads the way with 23 players, followed by Wisconsin (22), Boston College (21), North Dakota (17), Michigan State (16), Minnesota (15) and Colorado College (14)."
Link

This is the best I could find as far as a bigger breakdown (it's a little old), but still shows my point. Here:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...entation_N.htm

If the kid isn't attending any of these schools, it's probably best to pass unless you're really high on him.

These top schools get all the best college players. No mystery why they keep winning. They're the best players in their age group and will most likely continue to be as they age and develop under the best possible conditions (best coaches, facilities, winning atmosphere). If a legendary coach thinks a kid is worth recruiting or thinks he has potential, that has meaning.*

The number of NHL players from college is up to 30.5%. A 3rd of the league basically.*

Times are a changin' : "A total of 300 former U.S. college hockey players participated in the 2011-12 NHL regular season that concluded Saturday, the biggest NCAA representation in history and a 39 percent increase from 10 years ago (216)." Link And *a 43 percent increase from 12 years ago.

The interesting thing about this sport is that you can see which schools guys are commited to attending (and in some cases, already attending).*Next time, we won't be so surprised when Nieto or Coyle (Boston University) becomes a great prospect . BU is a big program. No surprise they get some big players to go there.

Here's a list of the 2012 eligibles with their college of choice:
http://insidecollegehockey.com/inch/...4/10/css_1028/

A couple names I'd draft: Kerdiles, McCabe. Both primed to be stars at Wisconsin. As you can see by their ranks, it would just take a 2nd round pick to draft the next Jake Gardiner or Derek Stepan. Why drool over signing Justin Schultz when you can draft him?

Here's an HF article drooling over Jake McCabe.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...in_defensemen/

So if you are going to draft college hockey players (which you know SJ will), please pick from the best. Just like how NFL teams draft players from the SEC or other top conferences/teams filled with the best talent.*

I think there's a misconception here that you can't get high-end talent or top line players from college. Maybe they're forgetting*where Jonathan Toews (North Dakota) or Ryan Suter (Wisconsin) came from. Exploit this before more people realize it. For kicks, Chris Kreider (Boston College) would fit right in here too.

Last edited by magic school bus: 04-29-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old
04-29-2012, 04:42 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

I think the NCAA is a great path for kids to take. The misconception is caused by most thinking that the CHL is the only way to develop high end talent and you only get high end talent from the CHL. Considering you have more and more kids coming from U.S. colleges that are having high impacts on their teams is a positive sign for the way the Sharks scout and draft. DW loves college kids, they usually have high character and unquestioned work ethic and its not suprising that more teams are catching on.

Old
04-29-2012, 04:45 PM
magic school bus

And more Canadien kids are going to US schools. Canada's captain at the world juniors this year went to a US school. - Jaden Schwartz (Colorado College). There's a LOT of talent here, and it's not hard to find it.

Old
04-29-2012, 04:46 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1004
Kerdiles is also from California, if that means anything.

But yeah, I agree with you, MSB. A bunch of guys ganged up on me in the prospect forum because everyone is drooling over Charlie Coyle's CHL numbers, even though his college numbers weren't fantastic... And they were blaming NCAA for "holding him back" or something stupid like that.

But yeah, I think the second round, especially, is a great place to draft college kids. Nieto, Chiasson, etc.

Old
04-29-2012, 04:51 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post

But yeah, I agree with you, MSB. A bunch of guys ganged up on me in the prospect forum because everyone is drooling over Charlie Coyle's CHL numbers, even though his college numbers weren't fantastic... And they were blaming NCAA for "holding him back" or something stupid like that.

But yeah, I think the second round, especially, is a great place to draft college kids. Nieto, Chiasson, etc.
The Q is terrible and he plays on the one of most talented teams in the CHL and hes a man among boys (literally ). I thought Nieto was a product of Coyle but after watching Nieto without Coyle, I was wrong. Nieto is an incredibly gifted hockey player on offense, has great speed and skating ability and has a big frame to grow into. Defense needs work but hey thats what Jack Parker is for

Old
04-29-2012, 04:56 PM
magic school bus

Quote:

Yeah, these are great prospects available at a discount.

I'm serious. Just stick to these schools. They know what they're doing and are obviously better at evaluating talent than our org is. We'd be in a much better spot if we just drafted Boston University or Boston College players instead of players from Massachusetts high schools. A tweak like that could make a world of difference.

And for the love of *** keep the 2nd round picks!

Old
04-29-2012, 04:57 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
The Q is terrible and he plays on the one of most talented teams in the CHL and hes a man among boys (literally ). I thought Nieto was a product of Coyle but after watching Nieto without Coyle, I was wrong. Nieto is an incredibly gifted hockey player on offense, has great speed and skating ability and has a big frame to grow into. Defense needs work but hey thats what Jack Parker is for
Yeah, you really need to watch Nieto to get what he's about. I was stoked that we drafted the kid because I was worried Coyle was a product of him after watching them.

But yeah, Coyle is playing great, but he's 20 years old on a team that was already a powerhouse.

Old
04-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Yeah, you really need to watch Nieto to get what he's about. I was stoked that we drafted the kid because I was worried Coyle was a product of him after watching them.

But yeah, Coyle is playing great, but he's 20 years old on a team that was already a powerhouse.
Put Coyle on Cape Breton and no one gives a ****. Hes a good prospect but his hype train has exploded since being traded and going to the Q.

Old
04-29-2012, 05:52 PM
magic school bus

Weird fact: we've drafted 3 players that attend Northeastern University and Northeastern has 0 players in the NHL.

Old
04-29-2012, 06:08 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Weird fact: we've drafted 3 players that attend Northeastern University and Northeastern has 0 players in the NHL.
We would.

Old
04-29-2012, 06:24 PM
magic school bus

Our scouts are just doing some idiotic stuff. I'll keep my focus on college hockey here, but same goes for drafting german goalies (How many german goalies are there in the nhl? 1. how many starters? 0). You don't get extra points for being the first one to discover a good player from a small college or country.

Take a look at USA's world junior teams over the years. It's a who's who of top college hockey programs represented. By most measures these are the best group of guys we have.

This is the latest team - Link

Stick to what works - the big schools.

Last edited by magic school bus: 04-29-2012 at 07:17 PM. Reason: sp
Old
04-29-2012, 08:02 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Our scouts are just doing some idiotic stuff. I'll keep my focus on college hockey here, but same goes for drafting german goalies (How many german goalies are there in the nhl? 1. how many starters? 0). You don't get extra points for being the first one to discover a good player from a small college or country.

Take a look at USA's world junior teams over the years. It's a who's who of top college hockey programs represented. By most measures these are the best group of guys we have.

This is the latest team - Link

Stick to what works - the big schools.
Ironically the guys that are NHLers on the Sharks all come from strong hockey programs.

Joe Pavelski-Wisconsin
Torrey Mitchell-Vermont
Tommy Wingels-Miami of Ohio
Justin Braun-UMass (not a big time program but a known one.)
Benn Ferriero-Boston College
Dan Boyle-Miami of Ohio
Brad Winchester-Wisconsin
Daniel Winnik-U of N.H.
Douglas Murray-Cornell
Dom Moore-Harvard

Thats a lot of college guys.

Old
04-29-2012, 08:49 PM

NCAA players in Worcester...

Chad Costello - Northeastern
Bobby Farnham- Brown
Ben Guite - Maine
Matt Irwin - UMass-Amherst
Tim Kennedy - Michigan State
Tony Lucia - Minnesota
Cam McIntyre - Princeton
John McCarthy - BU
Mike Moore - Princeton
Andrew Murray - Bemidji State
Ian O'Connor - Providence College
Brian O'Hanley - BC
Nick Petrecki - BC
Brodie Reid - Northeastern
Sebastian Stalberg - Vermont
Alex Stalock - Minnesota-Duluth
Jay Silvia - Holy Cross
Matt Tennyson - Western Michigan

Mike Connolly - Minnesota-Duluth
Sean Sullivan - Boston University

Old
04-29-2012, 08:54 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
NCAA players in Worcester...

Chad Costello - Northeastern
Bobby Farnham- Brown
Ben Guite - Maine
Matt Irwin - UMass-Amherst
Tim Kennedy - Michigan State
Tony Lucia - Minnesota
Cam McIntyre - Princeton
John McCarthy - BU
Mike Moore - Princeton
Andrew Murray - Bemidji State
Ian O'Connor - Providence College
Brian O'Hanley - BC
Nick Petrecki - BC
Brodie Reid - Northeastern
Sebastian Stalberg - Vermont
Alex Stalock - Minnesota-Duluth
Jay Silvia - Holy Cross
Matt Tennyson - Western Michigan

Mike Connolly - Minnesota-Duluth
Sean Sullivan - Boston University
Whoa! That's actually 5 players from Northeastern.

Off of that list, I can only approve of the BC, BU, Michigan St., and Minnesota with UMass, Vermont, Maine, Duluth in the you-better-be-damn-sure pile. There's literally 5 or less NHL players from those schools. I'm not touching the other schools with a 10 ft pole.

Last edited by magic school bus: 04-29-2012 at 09:22 PM. Reason: for my critiques
Closed Thread