HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What kind of coach do you want?

Old
04-23-2012, 01:32 PM
Dicdonya

vCash: 500
What kind of coach do you want?

So with all the talk recently on here calling for TM's job I noticed that there was not a whole lot of talk about what kind of coach, or which available coach, we would want to see behind the bench.

So what do you think would be the best type of coach for this sharks team next year and going forward the next couple years atleast?

I do not expect actual coaches to be named, however if there is one available that you think fits the bill by all means throw his name out there.

I would love to have everyone think of what kind of coach they want and atleast tell me:
What type of personality the coach has?
What system would you prefer?
What is his coaching strength(pk,pp,def,off,etc)
and most importantly in my opinion, do you want a coach that caters a system to the players hes given, or gets players to fit into his system?

Dicdonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:32 PM
Eighth Fret

babcock

Eighth Fret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:33 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighth Fret View Post
babcock
Oh so you want more of the same.... You want the Sharks to play exactly the same way...

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:34 PM
USF Shark
Zôion politikòn

Old
04-23-2012, 01:35 PM
WantonAbandon

McLellan has done everything his employers wanted him to do. McLellan deserves a chance to adapt or deserves to continue bringing the suits vision on the ice.

Old
04-23-2012, 01:36 PM
Eighth Fret

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Oh so you want more of the same....
Babcock is better and not as stubborn. I'd love Tippett as well.

This is the problem with firing TMac though.. he may be insanely stubborn and surrounded by incompetent assistants, but he's better than anything available to us in the offseason.

Eighth Fret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:40 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighth Fret View Post
Babcock is better and not as stubborn. I'd love Tippett as well.

This is the problem with firing TMac though.. he may be insanely stubborn and surrounded by incompetent assistants, but he's better than anything available to us in the offseason.
Tippet would be a pretty dramatic change to the Sharks although he would have lots of trouble working with Niemi. The Sharks need to score.

Babock and McLellan see the game exactly the same. They play the same game. The only legitimate difference I have heard is Detriot will try and dangle more instead of solely relying on overpowering the other team along the boards. That has more to do with the players then the coach. You can't coach dangle moves...

Old
04-23-2012, 01:45 PM
Kegsey
#joeMONEY

Quote:
Tippet would be a pretty dramatic change to the Sharks although he would have lots of trouble working with Niemi. The Sharks need to score.

Babock and McLellan see the game exactly the same. They play the same game. The only legitimate difference I have heard is Detriot will try and dangle more instead of solely relying on overpowering the other team along the boards. That has more to do with the players then the coach. You can't coach dangle moves...
That's only because Babcock has more faith in his team and gives them more freedom and options. Tmac will never deviate from his original game plan, ever.

Kegsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:49 PM
KirbyDots

The coaching staff was a complete mess this year. No direction at all, the failure to replace Yawney seems to have been a major mistake. Our already underachieving coaching staff was now down a man and given more responsibility. When Koala went down with his concussion, coaches Teaboy and Lex Luthor were bench bossing like two chickens minus their heads. We have become predictable and boring, no longer creative offense that was once arguably the best in the league, now stale and sloppy. Our PK used to frequently be among the best in the league, now its filth. Winnik was shocked when he came here about how the team is so damn passive on the kill, that needs to change. Koala can win and do great things, I like his system when implemented properly, but there seems to be some sort of weakness that needs to be dug out. Maybe Todd is too afraid or too loyal to suggest new assistants, but the team needs a transfusion of new blood behind the bench. Todd needs to step up and grow a pair, we need leader like Trotz, Tippett, Babcock, or Hitchcock. Someone who can get the entire team behind them to play as a cohesive unit. I think Koala can be that guy but he needs someone more aggressive and competent to help push the message as an assistant, and maybe push to take his job.

KirbyDots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:49 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegsey View Post
That's only because Babcock has more faith in his team and gives them more freedom and options. Tmac will never deviate from his original game plan, ever.
He doesn't because as a group the Sharks aren't nearly as strong on their sticks as the Wings.

I want others to think about TM's intransigence. It's not usual. IMO, it is a response the environment (players). I don't think it is open conflict so much as convincing players to change habits.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:50 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
What... Havlat is really the only player who can effectively dangle on the Sharks. Thornton for example would be allowed to dangle to his hearts content, but he cant.

You can't coach dangle moves.

Old
04-23-2012, 01:51 PM
Dicdonya

Quote:

I agree and disagree with the last part. Even though the players need to have skill to dangle, i also think the coach has told them not to or something. Cooch CAN dangle, so can havlat, thornton obviously is good with the puck and pavs has great puck control. Yet we never see any of them really try to open up their own space by actually dangling, instead its the same thing over and over, throw the puck behind the net-back out to the point/winger on the sideboards, maybe shoot at that point, pass back down behind the net/winger on sideboards over and over and over. Almost never do the sharks actually try to take a puck and dangle past one guy and head into the slot to open up a better shooting angle during the cycle to open up some time and space before taking a shot. Also allowing for at that point the other forwards to head towards the net for rebounds, screens etc.

Dats and thornton are pretty close in terms of puck control(although dats is much better at pure dangling) and zetterberg in my opinion is not any better at pure dangling then any of our top 6 forwards besides clowe, zet is just crazy strong on the puck and so hard to get it away from, not actually dangling.

Old
04-23-2012, 01:52 PM
Kegsey
#joeMONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
He doesn't because as a group the Sharks aren't nearly as strong on their sticks as the Wings.

I want others to think about TM's intransigence. It's not usual. IMO, it is a response the environment (players). I don't think it is open conflict so much as convincing players to change habits.
I agree, but on situations like the PP especially, they should try different things. We had very long stretches where our PP was useless and they just kept doing the same damn play over and over again. I know it's not all the coaching staff, but it just boggles my mind how stubborn this whole team is. Top to bottom.

Old
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
The coaching staff was a complete mess this year. No direction at all, the failure to replace Yawney seems to have been a major mistake. Our already underachieving coaching staff was now down a man and given more responsibility. When Koala went down with his concussion, coaches Teaboy and Lex Luthor were bench bossing like two chickens minus their heads. We have become predictable and boring, no longer creative offense that was once arguably the best in the league, now stale and sloppy. Our PK used to frequently be among the best in the league, now its filth. Winnik was shocked when he came here about how the team is so damn passive on the kill, that needs to change. Koala can win and do great things, I like his system when implemented properly, but there seems to be some sort of weakness that needs to be dug out. Maybe Todd is too afraid or too loyal to suggest new assistants, but the team needs a transfusion of new blood behind the bench. Todd needs to step up and grow a pair, we need leader like Trotz, Tippett, Babcock, or Hitchcock. Someone who can get the entire team behind them to play as a cohesive unit. I think Koala can be that guy but he needs someone more aggressive and competent to help push the message as an assistant, and maybe push to take his job.
They took a Detriot/Boston direction. This is what McLellan was hired to do

Old
Paka Ono
Pro Ice Girl Scout

I want a coach who knows how to motivate his players to perform at a high level on a consistent basis but most of all one who knows how to win.

Paka Ono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:53 PM
Kegsey
#joeMONEY

Quote:
What... Havlat is really the only player who can effectively dangle on the Sharks. Thornton for example would be allowed to dangle to his hearts content, but he cant.

You can't coach dangle moves.
I'm not just saying "let them do dangle moves", I just mean they would never change from the "wear them down on the boards" technique. I know our team can't dangle, but I do think we could really open up teams on the rush instead of dump and chase.

Old
04-23-2012, 01:55 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka Ono View Post
I want a coach who knows how to motivate his players to perform at a high level on a consistent basis but most of all one who knows how to win.
Then McLellan is your guy. He is very good at motivating his players. Look at what he did with Thornton and Burns.

Plus the system you all despise, despite it being wildly successful in the past including just last year with Boston and even San Jose, is not an easy thing to replicate.

Old
04-23-2012, 01:56 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
I'm not just saying "let them do dangle moves", I just mean they would never change from the "wear them down on the boards" technique. I know our team can't dangle, but I do think we could really open up teams on the rush instead of dump and chase.
Who is going to dangle? Pavelski can't, Thornton can't, Clowe can a little bit, Couture is about as weak as Clowe, and Marleau can't

Havlat can and did

Old
04-23-2012, 02:01 PM
Dicdonya

Quote:
Who is going to dangle? Pavelski can't, Thornton can't, Clowe can a little bit, Couture is about as weak as Clowe, and Marleau can't

Havlat can and did
However every one of those players CAN make enough of a play with the puck to move a defender out of position to open up time and space or make a move towards the net, yet all they ever do is just slam against the boards and try to dig pucks out while no more than one guy heads towards the net. I dont think every player needs to have dangles like Dats to be considered ABLE to dangle, or to be able to free up time and space by doing anything other than just cycling pucks along the boards and behind the net.

Old
Perro

replace Tmac with MacT?

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KirbyDots

Quote:
They took a Detriot/Boston direction. This is what McLellan was hired to do
Except Koala doesn't seem to be as strong a personality as Julien or Babcock. The team needs someone they respect who is willing to kick some butt if need be. I think Koala needs help to get there, I don't know who that would be. Promoting Ricci would be nice, but I think we need someone with experience as well. Someone who has been there and can look the players in the eye and they know what is expected. Someone they want to please.

KirbyDots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 02:18 PM
Kegsey
#joeMONEY

Quote:

Quote:

Havlat can and did
I'm sorry you're ignoring the fact that I said, "I know our team can't dangle." I would like to see them try run and gun, and making plays off the rush instead of wearing teams down on the boards, and slowing the game down.

Edit: I'm not trying to argue with you, this all stemmed from me saying that the wing's have more freedom to do dangles than the sharks do. I know the Shark's can't dangle, but even if they could the coaching staff is so stubborn they would never change their game plan to allow it.

Last edited by Kegsey: 04-23-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old
04-23-2012, 02:22 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicdonya View Post
I agree and disagree with the last part. Even though the players need to have skill to dangle, i also think the coach has told them not to or something. Cooch CAN dangle, so can havlat, thornton obviously is good with the puck and pavs has great puck control. Yet we never see any of them really try to open up their own space by actually dangling, instead its the same thing over and over, throw the puck behind the net-back out to the point/winger on the sideboards, maybe shoot at that point, pass back down behind the net/winger on sideboards over and over and over. Almost never do the sharks actually try to take a puck and dangle past one guy and head into the slot to open up a better shooting angle during the cycle to open up some time and space before taking a shot. Also allowing for at that point the other forwards to head towards the net for rebounds, screens etc.

Dats and thornton are pretty close in terms of puck control(although dats is much better at pure dangling) and zetterberg in my opinion is not any better at pure dangling then any of our top 6 forwards besides clowe, zet is just crazy strong on the puck and so hard to get it away from, not actually dangling.
Dangling around the circles is a phenomenal skill. JT isn't even close; he would try and lose the puck. Same for Pavs. Through the NZ, Couture and Pavs have a little bit, JT none. JT's forte is reach and strength. And, he is pretty much straight line. Havlat is really the only guy who approaches the Dats/Z types.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
Except Koala doesn't seem to be as strong a personality as Julien or Babcock. The team needs someone they respect who is willing to kick some butt if need be. I think Koala needs help to get there, I don't know who that would be. Promoting Ricci would be nice, but I think we need someone with experience as well. Someone who has been there and can look the players in the eye and they know what is expected. Someone they want to please.
Listen to the players. They absolutely believe in TM. Too many quotes to count for the respect they give to his message about playoffs. Probably stronger about the playoffs than all of the players combined in terms of mindset.

If you look at the play, they absolutely adhere to his message as they have all modified their games per his instructions.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 02:35 PM
StalockSuperfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
replace Tmac with MacT?
I think MacTavish is a good coach. Maybe something worth considering. I just want a coach that can make adjustments on the fly and takes advantage of the 2 way play of our forwards.

StalockSuperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 02:36 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
This guy. His career in the FEL: 1,5 seasons with TPS, won Gold and coach of the year award. Went to KHL, got fired midway. Returned to FEL this season, dragged Pelicans from last place to Silver and probably wins his 2nd coach of the year award.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote