HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jordan Staal

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2012, 09:22 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgd525 View Post
One thing i didn't touch on. The one thing i can't stand about Staal is the fact he's a gentle giant.
OT: but hopefully Crosby, Malkin, Staal remain as three friends (and teammates) for a good long while.

Old
04-21-2012, 09:25 PM
mgd525

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by laufer72 View Post
Story wasn't made up. It was Alan Robinson (writes for NHL) Tweet which said "Staal might be unhappy with current role). The thing that he mentioned later explained a lot, he heard it from Krepelka, Staal's agent. It seems to be nothing but agent yap in order to get his client more money.
Yup, and unlike most cases imo if played right the Pens are in the drivers seat IF they play this right. I'm not the least bit worried, You know Shero would get great value with Staal. The onlything that scares me a bit is if he overpays.

Penguins either keep Staal or get a first line winger or a really good d man +.

Old
04-21-2012, 09:52 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgd525 View Post
One thing i didn't touch on. The one thing i can't stand about Staal is the fact he's a gentle giant. I'm not saying he has to run over guys all the time but good god. So many times he would have been better off checking someone into the boards and thaking the puck instead of standing next to the guy and trying to poke check him. It's by far Staals biggest weakness. He sure isn't soft as in willing to take hits/block shots but he is very soft as far as tossing his HUGE frame around. IMO this is why he will be a very good player for a long time not a great player. His game would be unreal if he had the slightest mean streak.
I'm not sure what games you've been watching but Staal has flat out ran over some people this series. Staal has been playing very physical IMO.

Old
04-21-2012, 10:12 PM
od71

Staal is one of the best defensive forwards in the world. And he is comfortable in Pittsburgh. The team is SC contender. The only thing he probably wish more is a power play ice time. I think he understands it's better to play in Pittsburgh than in, let's say, Columbus for a little bit more money.

Old
04-21-2012, 10:15 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh87 View Post
Wow.. what happened to playing the sport because you love it? I never thought athletes would get this greedy over a million dollars. Only 1 million.
Only 1 million?

Old
04-21-2012, 10:18 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Lounge Hero

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by od71 View Post
Staal is one of the best defensive forwards in the world. And he is comfortable in Pittsburgh. The team is SC contender. The only thing he probably wish more is a power play ice time. I think he understands it's better to play in Pittsburgh than in, let's say, Columbus for a little bit more money.
His defensive game, this season, has been sub-par at best. I agree that he could be one of the best defensive forwards, but not this season.

Plus in Pittsburgh - making $6M is huge. The money goes a long way in this city.

Old
04-21-2012, 10:24 PM
McTank

Quote:
Perhaps, but maybe he wants to be the go to guy in buffalo playing with vanek and pomminville playing on the first pp unit, and having a huge front loaded contract with huge bonuses

Old
04-21-2012, 10:32 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Lounge Hero

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Perhaps, but maybe he wants to be the go to guy in buffalo playing with vanek and pomminville playing on the first pp unit, and having a huge front loaded contract with huge bonuses
I think you want him in Buffalo..and I understand, but that doesn't mean he feels the same way.

Old
04-21-2012, 10:37 PM
Trepanated

Quote:
Perhaps I'm writing this post while banging a supermodel on top of a large pile of hundred dollar bills.

And perhaps one or both of us is engaging in a bit of wishful thinking.

Old
04-21-2012, 10:43 PM
HandshakeLine
pro sports bettor

Quote:
Hey, since you know Jordan Staal so well, can you tell me what he wants for his birthday? It's so hard shopping for people that have everything.

Old
04-21-2012, 10:44 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
His defensive game, this season, has been sub-par at best. I agree that he could be one of the best defensive forwards, but not this season.

Plus in Pittsburgh - making $6M is huge. The money goes a long way in this city.
Yeah, at best I see someone offering him maybe $7.5 million per year. I am not sure that is a big enough difference to want to move from a good thing.

Old
04-21-2012, 10:46 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post

I hope they can get him signed for under $6M...

Not sure it will happen though. Given where their current contracts are, I'm sure Staal's raise will be bigger than Crosby's raise.

Old
04-21-2012, 10:49 PM
HandshakeLine
pro sports bettor

I'd imagine Shero wants to know what's going on with the CBA before worrying about Staal's contract. If the cap goes up or we get some more flexibility in the way contracts are structured, I think Staal could get anywhere from 5.5 to 6.5. If he's asking for more than that, I'd imagine a trade is in the works.

But I wouldn't see him being traded until the deadline in that situation anyway, and that's a long time for Staal and his agent to come to terms with management.

So, while trading him is a possibility, it's probably wishful thinking at this point.

Old
04-21-2012, 10:52 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
I'd imagine Shero wants to know what's going on with the CBA before worrying about Staal's contract. If the cap goes up or we get some more flexibility in the way contracts are structured, I think Staal could get anywhere from 5.5 to 6.5. If he's asking for more than that, I'd imagine a trade is in the works.

But I wouldn't see him being traded until the deadline in that situation anyway, and that's a long time for Staal and his agent to come to terms with management.

So, while trading him is a possibility, it's probably wishful thinking at this point.
I'm not sure I like the idea of waiting till the deadline to trade Staal away. If we are in a good spot setting up for the playoffs, I wouldn't rock the boat by trading away a core piece like that.

It would be better for the team to identify his demands before the season starts, that way they can either sign him or trade him so the player(s) they get in return have a full season getting adjusted to the system.

Old
04-21-2012, 10:54 PM
RottenScoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Myers & Pomminville
for
Staal & Martin

Problem solved
That would at least get Shero's attention.

Old
04-21-2012, 10:54 PM
Sheros Heroes

This isn't NHL 12.

Old
04-21-2012, 10:55 PM
HandshakeLine
pro sports bettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
I'm not sure I like the idea of waiting till the deadline to trade Staal away. If we are in a good spot setting up for the playoffs, I wouldn't rock the boat by trading away a core piece like that.

It would be better for the team to identify his demands before the season starts, that way they can either sign him or trade him so the player(s) they get in return have a full season getting adjusted to the system.
Yes, and no. The bidding war for Staal would be incredible. And waiting until then gives both sides time to come to an agreement, which they might need to do, especially if contracts need to be shed in order to make room for Staal's raise (should it occur).

There's an advantage to trading him over the off-season, sure. But I doubt Shero would do that.

Old
04-21-2012, 11:00 PM
JQR
Clearly it's Lovejoy

I heard the Staals were working on starting their own team.

Old
04-21-2012, 11:03 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
Yes, and no. The bidding war for Staal would be incredible. And waiting until then gives both sides time to come to an agreement, which they might need to do, especially if contracts need to be shed in order to make room for Staal's raise (should it occur).

There's an advantage to trading him over the off-season, sure. But I doubt Shero would do that.
I think there would be a bidding war regardless, but see your point about both sides needing more time to come to an agreement. I just hope Shero can figure out this summer if there is even an agreement to be made. If he is confident that Staal wants to come back and his demands are within our range, then I'd understand not trading him before the season starts.

I certainly don't envy Shero this summer though.

Old
04-21-2012, 11:11 PM
od71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Yeah, at best I see someone offering him maybe $7.5 million per year. I am not sure that is a big enough difference to want to move from a good thing.
Agree, $6.5-7 mln would be a good deal for Pittsburgh and for Staal too. I think Shero will find the room under the cap for him.

Old
04-21-2012, 11:12 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Agree, $6.5-7 mln would be a good deal for Pittsburgh and for Staal too. I think Shero will find the room under the cap for him.
$7M is too much. If that's what he wants I'd explore trading him.

Old
04-21-2012, 11:14 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:

They have a year to negotiate exclusively with him. Shero is not the type to dick around all year and try and sign him last minute. I am sure that he will know pretty quickly is Staal is serious about staying or not.

Old
04-21-2012, 11:15 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
$7M is too much. If that's what he wants I'd explore trading him.
And yeah, I am thinking $6 million per for maybe an extra year than Shero's usual 5 years, 6 years.

Old
04-21-2012, 11:16 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
They have a year to negotiate exclusively with him. Shero is not the type to dick around all year and try and sign him last minute. I am sure that he will know pretty quickly is Staal is serious about staying or not.
Staal might be serious about staying, but for what price, and what kind of role is he expecting?

That's what I mean by identifying his demands. If they aren't in line with what this team can offer, then he needs to figure that out early so he can seek out a good trade.

I'm not saying I want Staal gone. Quite the contrary actually. I'm just worried that we'll lose him for nothing. I won't be comfortable with the situation until I hear he signed a new contract.

Old
04-21-2012, 11:19 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
And yeah, I am thinking $6 million per for maybe an extra year than Shero's usual 5 years, 6 years.
I'd be fine with $6M, but I'd hope we can get it for a bit less. Maybe $5.5M. Neal's contract is a good benchmark since Neal outproduced him this season. Staal is more important to the team though I'd think since he's a more complete player.

It would be tough to stomach anything too much over $6M though.

Closed Thread