HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which Kostitsyn brother do you miss more?

View Poll Results: Which Kostitsyn would you want back?
Sergei 99 43.61%
Andrei 128 56.39%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-25-2012, 08:56 PM
  #176
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
To some, 98% of the people don't give the effort.

Unless you have Gretzky-like ability you can't make it while being lazy.

being lazy also means not working out in the gym wich means you're in bad shape. But also in the kitchen and every day life.

You don't get away with a 3 millions dollars from a professional team by working out 2 days a week, eating Macdonalds and partying all-night sorry.

You also don't get traded to a contending team if you are a bum.

Same thing with Bodybuilding, people say heeeh, easy steroids ... Lol...
Re: Gretzky

The best performers in the world are not the people so talented that they don't need to work. They are actually, the people who work the hardest.

You mention bodybuilding. It's a good example. It's not just that Average Joe can't lift as much as a professional bodybuilder... it's that he can't even reach that much of his own potential. The average person would start crying if they experienced that much pain, regardless of the fact that the equivalent of pain would come from a 160 lbs bench press and not a 350 lbs bench press (pardon my ignorance of the actual values).

Tim Tebow doesn't just workout every day. He works out twice a day. Michael Phelps works out so hard that he has to eat 12,000 calories a day (yes, 12,000) and he's still totally ripped. This is just totally different from most people's experiences.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 03:12 AM
  #177
Saintpatrick
Registered User
 
Saintpatrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,801
vCash: 500
Neither I'm happy both of those lazy floaters are gone.

Saintpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:33 AM
  #178
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
We're talking the highest levels in the world, not garage league level.

You don't become pro if you're a bum.
Not true. Many "bums" have made it through sheer skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeBey View Post
He always played well under Guy.

He didn't play particularly well under Martin, nor did he play as well under Cunneyworth, who turned out to be Martin-lite. Remember how well he palyed with Moen and Eller? Remember when he was mysteriously separated from them and forced to play with Scott Gomez? If that's not the definition of using a player poorly then I don't know what is.

As a matter of fact...why are we even talking about AK as though he was a poor player? Consistently a 20 goal scorer (except the season he got hurt,) big body, hits. What's the problem?
Again, not true. He had one great year under Carbo (the year Kovalev decided to play), then went right back in the dog house the next year.... and Carbo was blamed by AK's fans.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:41 AM
  #179
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Re: Gretzky

The best performers in the world are not the people so talented that they don't need to work. They are actually, the people who work the hardest.

You mention bodybuilding. It's a good example. It's not just that Average Joe can't lift as much as a professional bodybuilder... it's that he can't even reach that much of his own potential. The average person would start crying if they experienced that much pain, regardless of the fact that the equivalent of pain would come from a 160 lbs bench press and not a 350 lbs bench press (pardon my ignorance of the actual values).

Tim Tebow doesn't just workout every day. He works out twice a day. Michael Phelps works out so hard that he has to eat 12,000 calories a day (yes, 12,000) and he's still totally ripped. This is just totally different from most people's experiences.

Having Gretzky-like vision could atleast put you on AHL-level with no effort.
And about Phelps 12000 calories it's simple combine genetics out of this world with world-class coaches and you get this and just a little bit of hard work

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:46 AM
  #180
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Not true. Many "bums" have made it through sheer skills.


Again, not true. He had one great year under Carbo (the year Kovalev decided to play), then went right back in the dog house the next year.... and Carbo was blamed by AK's fans.
Mind giving some names of so-called bums ?

Also, **** managed 23 goals with 100 checks while being in the so-called dog house... Quite the lazy bum heh ?

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:03 AM
  #181
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Not true. Many "bums" have made it through sheer skills.
No they haven't.
There isn't one ''bum'' that has made it though. None.
If you were involved in the fitness world, you'd understand that very quickly. Clearly you are not.


You set yourself a very, very high standard. Anybody that isn't as intense as Cole, in every game, is what you consider a ''bum'' or ''lazy''.
It's comparable to me saying any woman who isn't as hot as Monica Belucci (back in her younger days, but still!) is ugly. That's crazy.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:38 PM
  #182
29dryden29
Registered User
 
29dryden29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: London Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Mind giving some names of so-called bums ?

Also, **** managed 23 goals with 100 checks while being in the so-called dog house... Quite the lazy bum heh ?
Hmm lets see the Sens #1 pick in their innagural season i do believe he even came from the Q one Alexandre Daigle really sticks out in my mind. Yashin is another one.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 12:54 PM
  #183
Stradale
Registered User
 
Stradale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
You misunderstood what I was saying. I'm not insinuating one bit that a coach (or coaches) got fired because of AK. What I'm referring to is the number of coaches who "didn't use AK properly", how many coaches "treated him unfairly", how many coaches "didn't give him the ice time he deserved", how many coaches "didn't play him on a regular line", how many coaches "didn't know what they were doing". Those are the constant excuses we read or hear from his fans. However, there's only one common denominator: AK. Something tells me that he has something to do with it.
You call it excuse because you just can't accept the truth.

Like I said, he did well anytime he was used on the top 6, or on a line with a center he has chemistry with. The only guy that he just sucked is Gomez. JM tested it twice last year and RC tried it this season, we all know the results.

You tell me how well he did with Plekanec and Kovalev, how well he did with Cammy and Plekanec, how well he played with Plekanec and Gionta and then how well he did with Eller and Moen. These are all the lines that worked on a good stretch but was separated for one reason or another. Of course you don't remember them because you would rather concentrate on how bad he did with Gomez.

AK had his best moments in his career with Plekanec and Eller... but for some reason, at one point this season, Plekanec was playing with Darche and Moen and Eller was playing with Bourque and White.. while AK plays 5 min with Gomez on the 4th line. Then you come tell us the coach is giving him all the chances in the world to produce and was using him properly? **** that.

AK is always the scapegoat. If a line does not work, he's the first one to drop in the lines. Cammy, Gomez, Gionta when they struggles, the coach finds way to make them work, give them PP etc.. but for AK, as soon as he struggles, boom 4th line. I thought he found a good spot on the 3rd line this season with Eller, who he has a good chemistry with... but then again, the coaches refuse to let them develop more chemistry and make him play back and forth in the line to save others ass. Let me remind you once again that AK was on pace for 30 goals after the first 25 games this season, playing mostly with Eller on the 3rd line.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 02:17 PM
  #184
Ollie Williams
Registered User
 
Ollie Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,119
vCash: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
No they haven't.
There isn't one ''bum'' that has made it though. None.
If you were involved in the fitness world, you'd understand that very quickly. Clearly you are not.


You set yourself a very, very high standard. Anybody that isn't as intense as Cole, in every game, is what you consider a ''bum'' or ''lazy''.
From what I have gathered that's not what has been said. Anybody that isn't as intense as Cole, in every game, but has the ability to be, is what I would consider a "bum" or "lazy".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
It's comparable to me saying any woman who isn't as hot as Monica Belucci (back in her younger days, but still!) is ugly. That's crazy.
Working hard or not working hard is not the same as being hot or not being hot. You have a choice in one and not in the other. If you are trying to point out that players who we see as "lazy" are like that because they can't help it, then that's, unfortunately, the kind of players we don't want.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 03:42 PM
  #185
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
From what I have gathered that's not what has been said. Anybody that isn't as intense as Cole, in every game, but has the ability to be, is what I would consider a "bum" or "lazy".
Well, I think you hit the nail on its head right there buddy.
People think these ''bums'' are purposely not trying, which is pretty much what being ''lazy'' is. But that's simply false.
Being able to push yourself hard every time is a skill like any other. It's the same thing as speed, skating, shooting power, accuracy, etc...
Intensity is a skill. You can work on it, just like you can work on your shot, but not everybody can reach the same level of intensity, just like no matter how hard Weber tries, he'll never beat Chara's record for the shot power.

AK can try to be more intense, doesn't mean he'll be able to push his body to the same limits as others. That doesn't mean he has a poorer work ethic, that he's a bum, or that he's lazy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
Working hard or not working hard is not the same as being hot or not being hot. You have a choice in one and not in the other. If you are trying to point out that players who we see as "lazy" are like that because they can't help it, then that's, unfortunately, the kind of players we don't want.
That's my point, it isn't a choice. You can work on your beauty. You can keep in shape, you can dress nicely, fix your hair so that it accentuates some good features, you can by plenty of facial products in order to get great skin, but you'll be limited. After a while, there won't be much to be done. You are what you are.
It's the same thing with intensity. You can work on it hard, but there will be a limit to it as well.
Obviously, it isn't completely the same because one is a skill and the other is just your apparel, but my point is that both are things you can work until they saturate.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 08:03 PM
  #186
WeeBey
Registered User
 
WeeBey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Not true. Many "bums" have made it through sheer skills.


Again, not true. He had one great year under Carbo (the year Kovalev decided to play), then went right back in the dog house the next year.... and Carbo was blamed by AK's fans.
Everyone was a mess that year. To claim that Kostitsyn was somehow notably worse than the rest is ridiculous.

WeeBey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 08:47 PM
  #187
Qui Gon Dave
Registered User
 
Qui Gon Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cheshire, England
Country: England
Posts: 8,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeBey View Post
Everyone was a mess that year. To claim that Kostitsyn was somehow notably worse than the rest is ridiculous.
He struggled a bit bit early in that year but things got better when the Lang-bros line was formed before he really found his stride being put back with Plekanec when he has something like 20 points in 20 games to start the 2nd half of the season. As for what happened after that, well, it wasn't the dog house that some idiots thought he would be in so much as a jail (along with SK and Hammer). The moment that story came out, his season went in the tank. Like I said, he had something like 20 points in 20 games leading up to that, the story came out and then he had something like 3 points in 20 games the rest of the season.

Those last two games before the 'fiction' was released to the public was when Kovalev was left out and Patches was put on a line with Plek and AK. Andrei had 5 points in those two games (Pleks had multiple points in those two games as well, Patches had 1), more than he would have in all the games that followed during that season. He took all that **** that other people made up and despite the fact that he was innocent, I don't recall a single person within the org coming to his defense a single time. If a totally fabricated story hit the headlines tomorrow about Patches, PK, DD or Carey being criminals, the org would back them all the way. Maybe I'm forgetting something, but I don't recall a single person doing a damn thing for AK, SK or Hammer that year. One thing I do remember (I think it was in the Gazette) was the police officer/chief/whoever who headed that investigation admitting that the media kicked up such a fuss about that 'story' that the police looked over all the evidence they had a 2nd time because they thought they had missed something. They didn't find anything incriminating when they looked through it again. Go figure.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:47 AM
  #188
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
You call it excuse because you just can't accept the truth.

Like I said, he did well anytime he was used on the top 6, or on a line with a center he has chemistry with. The only guy that he just sucked is Gomez. JM tested it twice last year and RC tried it this season, we all know the results.

You tell me how well he did with Plekanec and Kovalev, how well he did with Cammy and Plekanec, how well he played with Plekanec and Gionta and then how well he did with Eller and Moen. These are all the lines that worked on a good stretch but was separated for one reason or another. Of course you don't remember them because you would rather concentrate on how bad he did with Gomez.

AK had his best moments in his career with Plekanec and Eller... but for some reason, at one point this season, Plekanec was playing with Darche and Moen and Eller was playing with Bourque and White.. while AK plays 5 min with Gomez on the 4th line. Then you come tell us the coach is giving him all the chances in the world to produce and was using him properly? **** that.

AK is always the scapegoat. If a line does not work, he's the first one to drop in the lines. Cammy, Gomez, Gionta when they struggles, the coach finds way to make them work, give them PP etc.. but for AK, as soon as he struggles, boom 4th line. I thought he found a good spot on the 3rd line this season with Eller, who he has a good chemistry with... but then again, the coaches refuse to let them develop more chemistry and make him play back and forth in the line to save others ass. Let me remind you once again that AK was on pace for 30 goals after the first 25 games this season, playing mostly with Eller on the 3rd line.
See? More excuses. Never AK's fault though, is it? Let's keep piling the excuses while the common denominator remains the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
From what I have gathered that's not what has been said. Anybody that isn't as intense as Cole, in every game, but has the ability to be, is what I would consider a "bum" or "lazy".

Working hard or not working hard is not the same as being hot or not being hot. You have a choice in one and not in the other. If you are trying to point out that players who we see as "lazy" are like that because they can't help it, then that's, unfortunately, the kind of players we don't want.
Refreshing post. Thank you for understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeBey View Post
Everyone was a mess that year. To claim that Kostitsyn was somehow notably worse than the rest is ridiculous.
Fully agree. I was simply replying to the fact that he had one good year under Carbo by stating that he was in the dog house the next year. What about the other years, under other coaches?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:49 AM
  #189
holyhabs87
Registered User
 
holyhabs87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,820
vCash: 500
I voted Sergei although the AK-Eller-Moen line turned me on.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 01:17 AM
  #190
WeeBey
Registered User
 
WeeBey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Fully agree. I was simply replying to the fact that he had one good year under Carbo by stating that he was in the dog house the next year. What about the other years, under other coaches?
The whole team was in the dog-house that year. Everyone was just putrid. Can't really point to that year as a problem.

But your point is that everyone makes the same excuses for multiple coaches. He played well or at least on par with everyone else while under Carbo, he was never "bad." He wasn't compatible with Martin, and Cunneyworth ended up being pretty much the same kind of coach, so it's naturally the outcome would be the same.

But really, what I want to know is on what earth is a perennial 20-goal-scorer considered bad? This has yet to be addressed.

Let's not beat around the bush anymore. Kostitsyn's greatest crime was being born in 1985, and thus, being part of the 2003 draft class. People are still mad that Gainey and Timmins didn't have access to a time machine so that they could travel to the future to find out who was the best pick. Everyone sees how well a lot of players drafted after him turned out and they take their anger out on him for "under-performing."

If he was drafted at the same spot in the '04 draft he'd look like a borderline steal and he probably wouldn't be getting nearly as much flak.

WeeBey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 01:24 AM
  #191
Stradale
Registered User
 
Stradale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
See? More excuses. Never AK's fault though, is it? Let's keep piling the excuses while the common denominator remains the same.
Of course for a hater like you, they are excuses. I bring facts, you, like all other haters keep using the same cliches. Let's just ignore the facts that he has started strong two straight seasons.. until the coach decides to put him on different lines and expect him to save those lines. I dare you to check AK's stats in the first 20-25 games of this season and last season, when he was used properly with either Plekanec or Eller.

Anyway, I don't expect you to say rational things about AK, he's not on our team anymore so I don't feel the need to defend him from people like you. A guy that hates AK.. then think a Dustin Penner could be useful with the Habs.

AK is with another team now, he's happy, the coach likes him, the fans like him, he plays well. Good for him. So far, looks like he's proving that you're wrong.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:26 AM
  #192
BJCOLLINS
Registered User
 
BJCOLLINS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Radio Clash on Pirate Satelite
Posts: 1,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
No, it's because BUFFALO valued him. They made a better trade, doesn't mean the Preds value Gaustad more. Actually has absolutely nothing to do with that.

Look at what we gave for Gomez, was he really worth that much? Gaustad isn't worth a 1st. It was a good move from the Sabres. The Preds are obviously going for it this year, they overpaid for Gill, probably refused to give more for Andrei. At the time, maybe there was a big demand for Gaustad too.

In any event, looking the assets exchanged isn't a good measuring stick for value at all.
O my......LOL, the topic was "players with equal talent and work ethic" ..

Gomez? Really, Gomez? Why not the Roy trade if you want to blur the discussion?
Fact: Gaustad's return WAS a first round pick regardless of what NHL 12 tells you. Yes, the Preds are going for it and probably overspent for a perimeter player in AK but they had a 2nd to gamble with. They used their first to go after the player who displays an equal amount of work ethic and talent, consistently. GM 101

BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 09:22 AM
  #193
gillyguzzler
Registered User
 
gillyguzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,804
vCash: 500
Dustin Boyd...

SK74 and AK46 are not good enough for our top 9 but this Dustin Boyd guy is doing quite well for the Astana Barys.

How's this for our 2nd line? Plek, Bourque and Dustin Boyd. Could be lethal.

Then we've got Eller, Geoffrion and Darche on the 3rd. I hear Stanley calling.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 09:44 AM
  #194
Born in 1909
Vive la France!
 
Born in 1909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
No they haven't.
There isn't one ''bum'' that has made it though. None.
If you were involved in the fitness world, you'd understand that very quickly. Clearly you are not.


You set yourself a very, very high standard. Anybody that isn't as intense as Cole, in every game, is what you consider a ''bum'' or ''lazy''.
It's comparable to me saying any woman who isn't as hot as Monica Belucci (back in her younger days, but still!) is ugly. That's crazy.
Monica Belucci?

Yeah!

Ok, now were talking....

Screw the Kost brothers talk

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 09:48 AM
  #195
BJCOLLINS
Registered User
 
BJCOLLINS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Radio Clash on Pirate Satelite
Posts: 1,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
Hmm lets see the Sens #1 pick in their innagural season i do believe he even came from the Q one Alexandre Daigle really sticks out in my mind. Yashin is another one.
IMHO....most times these guys were kids who torn it up while playing with other kids in jr..Playing with men at the highest level on the planet is an entirely different circumstance and fans should think twice before labeling players as lazy. Some GM's bring kids up too early in an attempt to save their job. Paying fans have the right to call out players as "lazy" or "bums" I would just hope that they try to be patient with young (first 3-4 years) players because it takes a while for some to acclimatize to the speed, size and skill of the bigs. Also some players need a second chance and need to be traded to restart or find their game. The Habs know this all too well. Lats kind of reminded me of a player who was like a deer caught in the headlights....IMHO he (his development) just froze due to the spotlight being focused on him. Some will say coaching cures this, I think that's too simplistic....good coaching helps but back in the day the Habs would have the kids play in the AHL bring them up with limited min.'s and have seasoned vet's helping them become comfortable and find there game with minimal demands.

BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:12 AM
  #196
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
AK is with another team now, he's happy, the coach likes him, the fans like him, he plays well. Good for him. So far, looks like he's proving that you're wrong.
Better he "proves me wrong" elsewhere than prove me right with the Habs.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 11:26 AM
  #197
WeeBey
Registered User
 
WeeBey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Better he "proves me wrong" elsewhere than prove me right with the Habs.
He's proved you wrong on the Habs, as others have pointed out. You just choose to ignore it.

WeeBey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 03:24 PM
  #198
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeBey View Post
He's proved you wrong on the Habs, as others have pointed out. You just choose to ignore it.
No he hasn't, sorry to say. They can try to "point it out" all they want, it's their opinion against mine. Last I checked, it's no better (nor worse).

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 03:31 PM
  #199
WeeBey
Registered User
 
WeeBey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
No he hasn't, sorry to say. They can try to "point it out" all they want, it's their opinion against mine. Last I checked, it's no better (nor worse).
Well, if a 20 goal scorer who hits is, in your opinion, bad, then I don't know what to say to you.

Like I said, this discussion probably never comes up if Andrei was drafted in 2004, this conversation never comes up.

WeeBey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 03:56 PM
  #200
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCOLLINS View Post
O my......LOL, the topic was "players with equal talent and work ethic" ..

Gomez? Really, Gomez? Why not the Roy trade if you want to blur the discussion?
Fact: Gaustad's return WAS a first round pick regardless of what NHL 12 tells you. Yes, the Preds are going for it and probably overspent for a perimeter player in AK but they had a 2nd to gamble with. They used their first to go after the player who displays an equal amount of work ethic and talent, consistently. GM 101
The Roy trade was a massive under payment, not sure how it's relative. But yes, you can point out any overpaid trade at any time in the NHL, no matter the years.
The point, which to me was pretty darn clear but apparently not for you, was that over payments happen.

Gaustad for a 1st was an over payment. AK for a 2nd wasn't. To look at those trades and say ''Gaustad brought a better return, so surely he must be more valuable'' is quite a simplistic and flawed view.
I didn't think I really needed to elaborate.
First, those trades were done by two different GMs, which means different negotiation skills. Then, there's timing, the market, the demand, a possible bidding war, etc..

If there wasn't much interest for AK, then it drops his price and his trade value, but that has nothing to do with his actual impact on the team.

But if you like to believe that Gaustad is more valuable because he brought in a 1st, then alright, go for it. I won't waste my time discussing this any further.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.