HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vladimir Tarasenko Discussion Thread (III) -- NHL bound (Filed with NHL)

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2012, 03:51 AM
BDEuph
Hotty Toddy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post
That picture is from December.
Here Vova is at May 1st alongside Zherdev and Burdasov:

Btw, if he had conditioning problems, it would explain SKA coach not playing him a lot in playoffs...
I Call BS

SKA coach did not play him on the top line because he distrusts young players...yet with is 10-11 average TOI he had crazy great numbers.

Old
05-17-2012, 06:52 AM
D3Devildog
Step 3: Profit

Seriously, just stop with the analyzing photos and using that to determine if Tarasenko is out of shape. Does no one remember Oshie's chubby cheeks (back in the furnace face days)? I don't think anyone was too concerned with his conditioning (just his BAC).

Old
05-17-2012, 10:48 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Wait...You're saying he didn't look good in the playoffs when he was getting around 10-12 minutes a game? Okay...
No. He's saying that Tarasenko didn't look very good with the NT this season, and I would agree with that. Throughout the season, Tarasenko would play for the NT in various tourneys and just looked so-so in the handful I games I saw. In the 12 games he played with the NT, he had 0 goals and 2 assists. Considering that since then, the NT added Datsyuk, Malkin, Ovie & Semin, it really shouldn't be that surprising he got bumped out of a spot.

Regarding his fitness, I'm sure he's fine but pretty much no incoming rookie is in NHL shape and like all others, he'll need to ramp it up. The Blues have one of the best strength & conditioning coaches around in Nelson Ayotte and I have no doubt that with a summer of training that Vova will be ready by the start of the season. He's no different than any other incoming rookie - the NHL is a whole different level. The good news is that Tarasenko appears to be a very hard worker so I don't see a problem with him really taking a step ip once Ayotte gets a hold of him.

Old
05-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Steve Doan
RIP Oscar

Jw, does anyone remember what day it was last year tarasenko decided he wasn't coming over?

Old
05-17-2012, 11:06 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve french View Post
jw, does anyone remember what day it was last year tarasenko decided he wasn't coming over?
5/24/11.

Old
05-18-2012, 12:58 PM
Sn00kiMonster

Alexander Zaytsev ‏@AlexandrZaytsev
Bilyaletdinov: "Tarasenko is overweight. We tried to help him lose weight but to no avail. He is not ready physically." #STL
Retweeted by AlessandroSerenRosso

Old
05-18-2012, 02:14 PM
CarvinSigX
Meh

Here we go...lol

Old
05-18-2012, 03:35 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Well, I do have to say that at the very least the Russian authorities (KHL and now national representation) are doing a bang-up job of making the Blues more attractive.

Old
05-18-2012, 03:55 PM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimoodia View Post
Well, I do have to say that at the very least the Russian authorities (KHL and now national representation) are doing a bang-up job of making the Blues more attractive.
Most likely....but remember the NT coaches have been very "NHL-like" in their approach to preparation, role specialization, 2 way play, etc, etc. Well, certainly moreso than any other coaches he's played under.

Regardless, I find it very unlikely that he'll not sign with the Blues.

Old
05-18-2012, 04:55 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Most likely....but remember the NT coaches have been very "NHL-like" in their approach to preparation, role specialization, 2 way play, etc, etc. Well, certainly moreso than any other coaches he's played under.

I have no doubt the initialization period is going to be a big shock for Vladimir, it is quite often for most highly skilled players.

That said, he does seem to have the attitude one would want to overcome that shock.

Old
05-18-2012, 05:26 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post

^This^

Dominant, but a little pudgy? Okay.

Old
05-18-2012, 05:30 PM
schronote

I didn't want to contribute to the overweight talk but just want to remind everyone of the big overweight rumor of Big Buff in Winnepeg this summer and he showed up in great shape at camp. Enough said about that.
I see Tarasenko making up his mind before June 1 so I hope he brings his game to the lou because he would be a great addition to an already deep offense.

Old
05-18-2012, 05:30 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

You mean to say that those of us who interpreted the coach's original comments as saying he wasn't in shape as opposed to he wasn't playing on form were right? How can that be? I mean, you would need to know Russian to be able to interpret comments.

Old
05-18-2012, 05:48 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
New Tarasenko video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4P2X-8AUik

Old
05-18-2012, 07:00 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by steap View Post

Hmmm, doesn't look nearly as fat from this angle....

Also, Here's a link to his latest interview: http://www.sports.ru/hockey/140801925.html#comments

Perhaps, someone can translate better, but it seems he's obviously disappointed about not making the NT, respects the coaches decision, and will announce where he's going to play(As originally planned)after the Worlds Championships.

Old
05-19-2012, 04:07 AM
Slay

If someone interested, a month old pictures from the national team training camp:

http://www.liveinternet.ru/users/ker...post216475035/
http://www.liveinternet.ru/users/ker...post216540740/

Old
05-19-2012, 11:22 AM
Meatwagon
Blues=Overrated

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay View Post
If someone interested, a month old pictures from the national team training camp:

No wonder he's pudgy, all he's doing is sitting on the exercise equipment

Old
05-19-2012, 01:24 PM
Mr Dangles
I double dare you.

Man, imagine how good he'll be if he's actually in shape!

Old
05-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay View Post

Dont really see him being out of shape here, although it is very difficult to tell, especially with hockey players. And every player that is in this tournament just finished with their seasons in the NHL, KHL, SEL, etc., what player is in peak shape at this point? Perhaps he put on a little weight, but the bottom line is that he is a pretty thickly built guy.

Old
05-19-2012, 03:49 PM
STL fan in IA

Attached are the results from the 2010 NHL Combine. I will preface this by saying that these results are close to 2 years old at this point but the results show that at the time, Tarasenko scored above average is pretty much every category of aerobic fitness, anaerobic fitness, strength, force, etc. One of the very few things where he finished a bit below average though was body fat. He was measured at 10.8% while the average was 8.7%.

Now again, these results are 2 years old so who knows where he would measure now but if we are to assume he's still a bit below average in terms of body fat, that still doesn't concern me much at all. 1. He seems to naturally be a stocky kid. 2. He's excelled as it is. 3. Virtually no rookie comes into the NHL in NHL shape. 4. If he's done this well while not at peak fitness, how good is he going to be once Ayotte gets a hold of him and whips him into shape? 5. I still wouldn't be surprised if some of this is just posturing from the Russian officials to try to lessen the impact of likely losing Tarasenko to the NHL. If they hurt his reputation a bit back in Russia, it should lessen the impact of him leaving somewhat.

I just can't wait for him to sign so we can stop talking about this stupid weight issue!
Attached Files
File Type: xls nhl-combine-results-2010.xls‎ (114.0 KB, 14 views)

Old
05-19-2012, 05:19 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Attached are the results from the 2010 NHL Combine. I will preface this by saying that these results are close to 2 years old at this point but the results show that at the time, Tarasenko scored above average is pretty much every category of aerobic fitness, anaerobic fitness, strength, force, etc. One of the very few things where he finished a bit below average though was body fat. He was measured at 10.8% while the average was 8.7%.

Now again, these results are 2 years old so who knows where he would measure now but if we are to assume he's still a bit below average in terms of body fat, that still doesn't concern me much at all. 1. He seems to naturally be a stocky kid. 2. He's excelled as it is. 3. Virtually no rookie comes into the NHL in NHL shape. 4. If he's done this well while not at peak fitness, how good is he going to be once Ayotte gets a hold of him and whips him into shape? 5. I still wouldn't be surprised if some of this is just posturing from the Russian officials to try to lessen the impact of likely losing Tarasenko to the NHL. If they hurt his reputation a bit back in Russia, it should lessen the impact of him leaving somewhat.

I just can't wait for him to sign so we can stop talking about this stupid weight issue!
If he was 2% above average 2 years ago (BEFORE bulking up TOO MUCH-"according to his prospective Russian National Team coach". He should already be at the average body fat level.

Old
05-19-2012, 06:25 PM
Blanick
Winter is coming

I am not going to get into whether or not I think he is out of shape but I will say I think it was very unprofessional of the Russia coach to "dog out" his player like that. It seemed like he couldn't wait to slam Tarasenko. To me this seems like something that should have stayed in lockeroom.

On the flip side Tarasenko has been very professional about the situarion. Every interview I have read from Tarasenko regarding the situation he has said, "I respect the coaches decision" or "I'd rather not talk about it."

Old
05-20-2012, 01:51 AM
sdaltons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanick View Post
I am not going to get into whether or not I think he is out of shape but I will say I think it was very unprofessional of the Russia coach to "dog out" his player like that. It seemed like he couldn't wait to slam Tarasenko. To me this seems like something that should have stayed in lockeroom.

On the flip side Tarasenko has been very professional about the situarion. Every interview I have read from Tarasenko regarding the situation he has said, "I respect the coaches decision" or "I'd rather not talk about it."
Agreed. And I also think its classy of him to stick with waiting after the tournament to make his decision, even though he has all the time he needs to decide right now and it would probably feel good to just say "screw this, I'm going to the NHL" assuming that is his decision.

But by waiting, he keeps his announcement from overshadowing what is taking place in the tournament. I like that.

In any case, the end of the tournament is almost upon us, so hopefully this will be over in the next few days.

Old
05-20-2012, 02:14 AM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post

Hmmm, doesn't look nearly as fat from this angle....

Also, Here's a link to his latest interview: http://www.sports.ru/hockey/140801925.html#comments

Perhaps, someone can translate better, but it seems he's obviously disappointed about not making the NT, respects the coaches decision, and will announce where he's going to play(As originally planned)after the Worlds Championships.
He looks like Smeagol if he was a human and not as creepy.

New nickname errrrr?

Old
05-20-2012, 09:44 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanick View Post

That's because you don't understand the Russian culture of bringing up talented hockey players. Wide open criticism, like the one the coach provided, is meant to rally the player to perform better and seriously think about himself. That's the way kids are brought up. There is no beating around the bush, there is no "being nice". He says the truth, it's up to the player to respond. Good or bad, that's the Russian culture, not only when it comes to hockey. Teachers are harsh and will scream and swear at youngsters but it brings results.

In a recent interview, Bilyaletdinov spoke further about the issue. To paraphrase, he thought that Tarasenko had unnecessary (surplus) weight that prevented him from being agressive (fighting for the puck and forechecking) and competing, like the other top players on national team. He also said that this weight was tough on his heart, and that players on his team should be in their best shape.

Being in shape for big rinks, is not the same as for NHL sized rinks.

NA fans think that the Coach is out to get him, but any Russian will tell you that is just normal truthful Russian criticism.

If he didn't like the player, why would he INVITE him and then KEEP him around the National team in the first place?!

Seeing people trash the coach here looks absolutely pathetic for anyone who follows the teams news. I just wanted to tell some posters that you really have no idea what his motives are and what is going on. And if you DON'T KNOW, than either learn or don't say anything.

That's all

Closed Thread