HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Vladimir Tarasenko Discussion Thread (III) -- NHL bound (Filed with NHL)

Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2012, 12:33 PM
steap

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to steap
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Yeah, so anyway, what I was saying was logical. They have one and only one major carrot if he's decided on playing in the NHL. That's the Olympics. If he's decided to go NHL, he's about the dream, not the short term money. But the Olympics is also a dream. He genuinely wants to play in the Olympics. Are they bluffing? Yes, probably. (Though I could believe them cutting off their nose to spite their face.) Even though they're still bluffing, keeping him off the WC roster (not really that big a deal compared to Olympics) gives them the last chance to suggest to him they're not, making the final maximum leverage push to influence his decision. Particularly if last year feeling like he wasn't ready at WCs influenced him to stay one more year, this is them telling him he's not ready. Unfortunately for them, how the KHL playoffs unfolded made a mockery of those politics. I know some are preciously naive about the politics of the situation and can't imagine politics coming into play in this, but all you can do is laugh at that.
BS, imho. Tarasenko wasn't so good in games for Team Russia. So nothing strange, that he didn't make the "set roster". Anyway he still have chances.

Old
05-03-2012, 12:38 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
Denial runs deep.

Old
05-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Zine

Quote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oops.

Like I said, Tarasenko has done little on NT level all year long (only 2 assists in 9 games). I think he'll still make the final roster, but if he doesn't, or doesn't play much its his own fault for not playing up to his potential given the opportunity.

Old
05-03-2012, 12:47 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Riddle me this, Russian Batmen, if he's not good enough to make a WC squad two years prior to the Olympics when plenty of Russians who will make the team are still active in the NHL playoffs, swelling the roster further, why would they even care whether he goes to the NHL? Why all the comments about him doing what's best so that he has the best chance of making the Olympics? He's not going to make the Olympics. Not good enough.

Old
05-03-2012, 12:54 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Obviously there are going to be some strong opinions on this, with little chance of finding common ground. Disagreement is fine, but lets try to keep it relatively civil and calm so that things don't spiral out of control.

Old
05-03-2012, 01:00 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Like we've stated before, they can't even produce a solid argument about his development or their intentions. Remember what their idiot GM said? He wants the NHL. Even he couldn't lie very well. Everything Russian hockey has done and said with Tarasenko has been a contradiction, usually in the same report!

Old
05-03-2012, 01:03 PM
Zine

Quote:
Riddle me this, Russian Batmen, if he's not good enough to make a WC squad two years prior to the Olympics when plenty of Russians who will make the team are still active in the NHL playoffs, swelling the roster further, why would they even care whether he goes to the NHL? Why all the comments about him doing what's best so that he has the best chance of making the Olympics? He's not going to make the Olympics. Not good enough.

OK, this is how it works.

Medvedev (KHL) wants to keep talent in KHL, so he's obviously going to talk **** using whatever rhetoric he can to try to influence players.

FACT IS: Medvedev can talk all he wants, but he has NO INFLUENCE in olympic team selection. Hell, the KHL and Russian Hockey Federation are sometimes at odds with eachother. Bilyaletdinov is pissed at Medvedev for schedules that conflict with NT preparation.

The KHL and the Russian Hockey Federation are not the same thing. This is why some NHLers are lukewarm to join the KHL, but ALWAYS jump at the chance to play for the NT. Bilyaletdinov doesn't give a toss about who plays where, he's going to choose the best team possible. Unfortunately, Tarasenko has underperformed on NT level. Yes it sucks, but it is what it is.

Please, don't mistake Medvedev's/KHL's 'influencing' words and attribute them to the Federation.

Last edited by Zine: 05-03-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old
05-06-2012, 11:32 AM
BleedBlue42

Hey guys, I've noticed that Tarasenko won't be playing in the World Championships...sorry if this has been brought up before. Here's the link to the roster: http://www.iihf.com/competition/272/teams/RUS.html

Also, everyone should just relax. We don't know what he'll do here, until he starts playing in an NHL system.

Old
05-06-2012, 11:36 AM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
We may see a signing soon considering the Blues will be out soon enough and he was cut from the team.

Old
05-06-2012, 11:53 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Off-topic, but congrats to Nikita Nikitin for making the roster.

I'm surprised to see no Tarasenko. Would be cool to see him on a line with Datsyuk or Malkin.

Old
05-06-2012, 12:36 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

People expecting Tarasenko to be like Oshie physically or defensively are arbitrarily deciding something that nobody who watches him describes in him. I've seen him play a lot and nothing about his game reminds me of Oshie physically or Oshie defensively. The only comparison to Oshie is how they attack in the offensive zone. Tarasenko has more north-south power moves, can cycle like Oshie, and has a better shot than Oshie. Similar dishing skills.

If you want to know how he compares defensively at this moment, without any NHL adjustment time, he's more akin to Perron defensively and physically. Tarasenko is an offensive prodigy who skates faster and better than Oshie and Perron (more like Stewart) and has a better shot that he uses more. He plays more north-south than those two. He can cycle similarly. He's what you would get if you could actually get Stewart's shot and speed to be molded into Oshie's willingness to go through traffic to score or make a play.

Simply saying he's a better scoring Oshie is expecting a totally different player than he is. Oshie is defined by his hitting ability and two-way play; Tarasenko is miles behind Oshie on both counts, but definitely ahead on the offensive skill level. For people talking about needing to add scoring talent, adding Tarasnko means they're doing that.

I don't think Tarasenko can't or won't learn the two-way side. He won't ever have much of Oshie's reverse hitting ability, but who does? On smaller ice it's easier to play defense since you don't have to expend as much energy chasing guys to outer corners. And nothing about him says he's not a hard worker.

Old
05-06-2012, 01:34 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

It will be a nice consolation to hear that Tarasenko is coming over by the end of the week.

Barulin made it, wonder if he is gonna get a start, too bad we were never able to sign him. Hard to believe Tarasenko didn't make it.

Last edited by bleedblue1223: 05-06-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old
05-06-2012, 01:52 PM
jmwc95

A lot of it is polirics. Don't think he wouldn't be on the team already if he re-signed with SKA in the KHL for next season.

Old
05-06-2012, 05:06 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
People expecting Tarasenko to be like Oshie physically or defensively are arbitrarily deciding something that nobody who watches him describes in him. I've seen him play a lot and nothing about his game reminds me of Oshie physically or Oshie defensively. The only comparison to Oshie is how they attack in the offensive zone. Tarasenko has more north-south power moves, can cycle like Oshie, and has a better shot than Oshie. Similar dishing skills.

If you want to know how he compares defensively at this moment, without any NHL adjustment time, he's more akin to Perron defensively and physically. Tarasenko is an offensive prodigy who skates faster and better than Oshie and Perron (more like Stewart) and has a better shot that he uses more. He plays more north-south than those two. He can cycle similarly. He's what you would get if you could actually get Stewart's shot and speed to be molded into Oshie's willingness to go through traffic to score or make a play.

Simply saying he's a better scoring Oshie is expecting a totally different player than he is. Oshie is defined by his hitting ability and two-way play; Tarasenko is miles behind Oshie on both counts, but definitely ahead on the offensive skill level. For people talking about needing to add scoring talent, adding Tarasnko means they're doing that.

I don't think Tarasenko can't or won't learn the two-way side. He won't ever have much of Oshie's reverse hitting ability, but who does? On smaller ice it's easier to play defense since you don't have to expend as much energy chasing guys to outer corners. And nothing about him says he's not a hard worker.
He's already known to be a hard worker, and determined to become the best player he can be. He is not a floater, and is adequate on defence for a KHL forward. All indications are that he takes well to coaching, and should be able to learn to play the North American defensive game, and pick up Hitch's defensive system. We won't expect him to be the best defensive forward in The NHL in his first 3 years. But, he should be a productive player in The Blues' 2-way system, not hurting The Blues on defence.

Old
05-06-2012, 05:18 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
He's already known to be a hard worker, and determined to become the best player he can be. He is not a floater, and is adequate on defence for a KHL forward. All indications are that he takes well to coaching, and should be able to learn to play the North American defensive game, and pick up Hitch's defensive system. We won't expect him to be the best defensive forward in The NHL in his first 3 years. But, he should be a productive player in The Blues' 2-way system, not hurting The Blues on defence.
I expect him to be a diligent worker. I'm just saying to those who epxect him to be "a better Oshie" they're a) not watching Tarasenko and b) not listening closely to those who do. Oshie is defined as a player by being basically good at everything (except staying on his skates). That's not Tarasenko's player profile. He's got extraordinary offensive talent and he's unknown on the defensive side of the puck in the NHL, but he's not an overly physical player. He's not "soft," nor does he avoid physical contact, but a big part of Oshie's game is deliberately physical, and that's not how Tarasenko plays.

Old
05-06-2012, 05:29 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

I think the nickname "Tank" fueled all of the more offensive version Oshie talk.

Like Pocket said, he isn't terrible defensively, but he isn't great at it either. He won't be like Oshie going around, hitting everything on skates, but at the same time he won't avoid contact.

Just because he isn't an Oshie clone, doesn't mean he won't fit in great though. He is a hard-worker, and just loves to play hockey, and that will thrive with Hitchcock.

Old
05-06-2012, 11:59 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Technically, Vlad is short for Vladislav while Vova is short for Vladimir.

Vova -> Vulva -> Mulva -> Deloris

did not know that, makes zero sense but okay

Old
05-07-2012, 09:41 PM
Halak Ness Monster

A couple of questions:
1) What are the chances that Tarasenko comes over after not making the Russian WC team and how quickly do you think it will be before he announces? I believe he said he was going to wait until after the WCs awhile ago but since he didn't make it I guess he could announce his decision any day.

2) What kind of numbers do you expect Tarasenko to put up in his rookie year? I realize people are going to want to temper expectations but we've seen younger, smaller, less skilled players than Tarasenko step into the NHL and put up top 6 numbers.
Tarasenko was arguably the 3rd best prospect in the 2010 draft behind Hall and Seguin. He improved greatly this year in the KHL, will almost be 21 on opening night, and has pretty good strength. There doesn't appear to be many major weaknesses to his game. He seems like the kind of rookie that could put up 25-30 goals and 25-30 assists and be a major contributor from day one.

Old
05-07-2012, 09:55 PM
Robb_K

I'd guess he'd score about 25-30-55, getting decent PP minutes (which I think he will).

Old
05-08-2012, 02:37 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halak Ness Monster View Post
A couple of questions:
1) What are the chances that Tarasenko comes over after not making the Russian WC team and how quickly do you think it will be before he announces? I believe he said he was going to wait until after the WCs awhile ago but since he didn't make it I guess he could announce his decision any day.

2) What kind of numbers do you expect Tarasenko to put up in his rookie year? I realize people are going to want to temper expectations but we've seen younger, smaller, less skilled players than Tarasenko step into the NHL and put up top 6 numbers.
Tarasenko was arguably the 3rd best prospect in the 2010 draft behind Hall and Seguin. He improved greatly this year in the KHL, will almost be 21 on opening night, and has pretty good strength. There doesn't appear to be many major weaknesses to his game. He seems like the kind of rookie that could put up 25-30 goals and 25-30 assists and be a major contributor from day one.
To my knowledge, Russia still has a few roster spots they're still holding open for NHLers. If the NHLers they're targeting advance to the next round of the playoffs or decide not to go, that might open up a spot for Tarasenko to join the team a bit late.

Assuming he doesn't eventually get added to the team though, I'm not sure if him not making the team would impact things much. He proved a ton in the KHL this season so I think he's ready. Who knows when he'll announce his decision though. That's a good question. My guess is he still waits until after the Worlds though.

Regarding what to expect from him, I'm hoping for somewhere around 40 pts. He's capable of more but I don't think it should be expected. I personally would be happy with 30. It's all going to depend on how quickly he adapts, how much icetime he gets and in what situations he gets put into.

Old
05-08-2012, 06:43 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halak Ness Monster View Post
A couple of questions:

Not making the WC roster doesn't really change much, his decision is already made. Once the roster spots are filled, if he isn't included, then he might announce his decision earlier than planned. Even if we work off the idea that his decision isn't made, then getting left off the WC roster can only work in our advantage. The clear message is that to play for Russia it is better to be proving yourself in the NHL, rather than playing in the KHL and pointless international friendlies.

Expectations should be that anything over 40 points is a bonus, big adjustment in his life and it might take time to settle. However, 60 points is certainly possible, and likely IMO. His style of play shouldn't be a problem in fitting in, he is the most dynamic forward we'll have and given that our PP isn't anything special, he will get his chances early.

Old
05-08-2012, 12:01 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I'm so old I can remember all the way back to a month ago when Andy Strickland was writing how his feeling was that Tarasenko would stay in Russia. Any of you old timers recall that one?

Old
05-08-2012, 12:12 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
I'm so old I can remember all the way back to a month ago when Andy Strickland was writing how his feeling was that Tarasenko would stay in Russia. Any of you old timers recall that one?
Oh Sasha Khavonov...

I guess it's a good thing that Strickland uses his sources, but good god the common sense that he has is beyond awful.

Old
05-08-2012, 12:16 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

"Word is he’s feeling significant pressure to stay from several people over there including the President of the KHL. Not to mention his father coach’s (sic) in the KHL. The bottom line is nobody knows what he will do. It’s purely a guess at this point and we’ll have to sit back and wait. Personally I wouldn’t put my money on him leaving before next season but it’s only a gut feeling I’ve received from those who speak directly with him. Word is he’s a very loyal person which might work against the Blues favor, for now anyway."

Old
05-08-2012, 12:30 PM
TK 421
Donut Squad

vCash: 758
Parrot voice: Tarasenko is staying! Tarasenko is staying! Khavanov said so and my magic 8 ball and dog confirmed it! Of course, my head is WAY, WAY inside JD's colon and I blow whichever way the wind does......but I've got sources baby,SOURCES!

Closed Thread