HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Maple Leafs Will Go "All in" on Nash and a UFA still playing. BOTH [Eklund.]

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2012, 10:15 AM
gabeliscious

vCash: 500
unless burke is able to move some salary it will be really difficult for him to land any one of significance. i would think suter or parise would want at least $7 million +. if we managed to trade for nash im sure they would only take one of LACK so it would still add a lot to our cap.

i think i would prefer burke to try and get players like harding, stewart, and possibly even j staal.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:22 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steams12 View Post
Quick Question to fellow Leafers here: Is anyone that excited for Rick Nash? I mean he's never played a playoff game. Are you watching round one? He'd crumble under the pressure..... not sold on Nash. Anyone else not sold on Nash?
I'm not excited because the team has other more pressing needs.

HOWEVER, you can't talk out of your ass like that either. what are you basing this opinion on that he couldn't handle the pressure? he was one of the best players of the games played on the biggest stage.

wake up.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:25 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeliscious View Post
unless burke is able to move some salary it will be really difficult for him to land any one of significance. i would think suter or parise would want at least $7 million +. if we managed to trade for nash im sure they would only take one of LACK so it would still add a lot to our cap.

i think i would prefer burke to try and get players like harding, stewart, and possibly even j staal.
I think those are at least semi-realistic options for making this team better. Whenever I read someone post something like... Trade for Nash and sign Parise/Suter. Bam! Better team... I just give my head a shake... Do you not think Leaf management have tried to get involved with Richards, Gaborik, Kovalchuk, Hossa, Chara, Briere, etc in the past 5-6 years (looking at top UFAs)? Those players simply have no interest in coming here, top UFAs sign on playoff teams.

Every offseason, tons of Leaf fans talk about us getting the big fish, and it never happens. Realistic UFA/trade options are nicer to read about. Harding is not a perfect fit, but he's an upgrade, Staal is actually a great fit, even though his offense isn't true #1 C material, Stewart would be us rolling the dice, he didn't have a good year. But all of them are realistically available, and would all realistically improve this team in areas that need improvements. Defensively, physically, and goaltending, with some potential for improvements in team offense.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:27 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

I think J Staal will cost a lot, because he had a decent series. However, I think we should be looking towards the Nucks and Sharks as they are both out of our conference and are likely to make the most shake-up.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:31 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
I'm not excited because the team has other more pressing needs.

HOWEVER, you can't talk out of your ass like that either. what are you basing this opinion on that he couldn't handle the pressure? he was one of the best players of the games played on the biggest stage.

wake up.

Made me think of #2.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:34 AM
Dark Passenger

One thing I thought about, as unlikely as it seems. Move Phaneuf to Edmonton as part of a deal to flip draft picks. We get #1 they get Phaneuf and #5. Allows them to draft a defenceman. Move Kessel to Columbus to get the #2 overall, would have to have more coming our way. Ship out some of the deadwood contracts, at least two of Komo, Armstrong, Lombardi. This would free up around 18 million in cap space to go after Parise and Suter, and allow us to draft Yakupov and Galchenyuk.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:47 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
I think those are at least semi-realistic options for making this team better. Whenever I read someone post something like... Trade for Nash and sign Parise/Suter. Bam! Better team... I just give my head a shake... Do you not think Leaf management have tried to get involved with Richards, Gaborik, Kovalchuk, Hossa, Chara, Briere, etc in the past 5-6 years (looking at top UFAs)? Those players simply have no interest in coming here, top UFAs sign on playoff teams.

Every offseason, tons of Leaf fans talk about us getting the big fish, and it never happens. Realistic UFA/trade options are nicer to read about. Harding is not a perfect fit, but he's an upgrade, Staal is actually a great fit, even though his offense isn't true #1 C material, Stewart would be us rolling the dice, he didn't have a good year. But all of them are realistically available, and would all realistically improve this team in areas that need improvements. Defensively, physically, and goaltending, with some potential for improvements in team offense.
Okay, Kovalchuck, Burke was on record saying he was not interested.

Chara would have come to the Leafs over Boston (Leafs were 1st choice) but JFJ didnt want to spend that much on one player, and spent the $$ on Kubina and Gill instead (prob thinking he made a better deal 2 d-mean for the price of one)

Richards and Gaborik wanted the Rangers, and the Ranger arguably still overpaid for both.

Briere was a total steal by Philly though, and they did work some off season magic that year.

...also, you forgot to mention Drury, and Gomez ...they were the other Big Ticket players we didnt sign.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:49 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
Okay, Kovalchuck, Burke was on record saying he was not interested.

Chara would have come to the Leafs over Boston (Leafs were 1st choice) but JFJ didnt want to spend that much on one player, and spent the $$ on Kubina and Gill instead (prob thinking he made a better deal 2 d-mean for the price of one)

Richards and Gaborik wanted the Rangers, and the Ranger arguably still overpaid for both.

Briere was a total steal by Philly though, and they did work some off season magic that year.

...also, you forgot to mention Drury, and Gomez ...they were the other Big Ticket players we didnt sign.
I don't remember this. Source?

Old
04-23-2012, 10:49 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Doakes View Post
One thing I thought about, as unlikely as it seems. Move Phaneuf to Edmonton as part of a deal to flip draft picks. We get #1 they get Phaneuf and #5. Allows them to draft a defenceman. Move Kessel to Columbus to get the #2 overall, would have to have more coming our way. Ship out some of the deadwood contracts, at least two of Komo, Armstrong, Lombardi. This would free up around 18 million in cap space to go after Parise and Suter, and allow us to draft Yakupov and Galchenyuk.
WOW, you posted 2 of the worst draft day trades i have ever seen.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:58 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
I don't remember this. Source?
i cant remember ...may have been Chara himself.
...it was basically, if they offered me more (what Boston did), I would have signed there (based on the playoff history of tor/ott if i remember correctly)

Old
04-23-2012, 10:59 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
...it was basically, if they offered me more (what Boston did), I would have signed there (based on the playoff history of tor/ott if i remember correctly)
Ah hindsight. My enemy.

Old
04-23-2012, 11:05 AM
Gberg

Quote:
yeah.. most UFAs sign for the most money.

Old
04-23-2012, 11:10 AM
Grimmas

I think a trade for Jordan Staal would be a good move. A big center who would be a major upgrade over Bozak would be huge for the team.

Something along the lines of

MacArthur
Liles
+ ???

Leaving lines like this puts us in a great position. If we salary dump Connolly, Komi, Lombardi

Lupul-Staal-Kessel
Kadri-Grabo-Kulemin
Armstrong-???-Frattin
Crabb-Steckel-Brown

Gunnar-Phaneuff
Gardiner-Schenn
Franson-Holzer

Reimer
???

Old
04-23-2012, 11:13 AM
ACC1224
vs. New Orleans

Quote:
After he signed with the Bruins, he said he would have rather been a Leaf?
Can't imagine their fans were too happy about that.

Old
04-23-2012, 11:32 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
After he signed with the Bruins, he said he would have rather been a Leaf?
Can't imagine their fans were too happy about that.
I can't imagine he said it.

Old
04-23-2012, 12:38 PM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
I think J Staal will cost a lot, because he had a decent series. However, I think we should be looking towards the Nucks and Sharks as they are both out of our conference and are likely to make the most shake-up.
j staal will cost a significant amount to land. despite being a ~50 point center he is a beast. he would excel playing with lupul and kessel i suspect and i think he could put up krejci type numbers (60-70 points playing on 1st line. i think with the exception of kessel and gardiner just about every asset we have is in play.

id hope a deal could be worked around kulemin and schenn so that the cap hits would be close. i suspect in order to push the pens over the edge burke would need to add a sweetener. i have no idea just how much it would take but i think a prospect worth apx. a 2nd pick would get things pretty close. again it would really depend on if the pens were committed to moving him.

at the end of the day if i was pittsburgh i would trade him out of conference so unless burke really pony ups i dont see it as anything more then a fantasy.

regarding stewart, if burke would be successful in moving kulemin + for j staal then it would be necessary to bring in a kulemin type player...hence stewart. he is a gamble but i think it is worth it. st louis depth makes it impossible for him to get a fair chance. in toronto he would have opportunity and also be in his home town which could possibly motivate him as well. either way i would take my chances on stewart because even if he doesnt put up points he is still a beast physically and would look great on our 3rd line if he cant do it in the top 6.

i agree with the idea of trying to deal with vancouver/san jose because they are out of conference. i refuse to believe that there are lingering grudges. nhl general managers are professionals. if a deal can be made to improve the organization they do it. if burke offended someone its not like any one of our 5 assistant gms couldnt deal with a move.

on vancouver there isnt too many players that excite me despite them being talented. i think the player to target would be pavelski on san jose. i think he is being held back by thornton, marleau, and couture. if he was playing with lupul and kessel he would really shine. im not sure what the sharks would want but i would offer kulemin + schenn for pavelski. it might interest san jose, they would get a big winger who might do well with couture/thornton as a center or in a shut down role on the 3rd line and schenn who despite what people write on here still has a lot of value around the league i would hope.

Old
04-23-2012, 02:54 PM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
I can't imagine he said it.
may have been 'no comment' jfj himself that said it ...i cant remember the who or when, but, i do remember it.

he gave the leafs the 1st chance after ottawa and jfj declined because of the $$

Old
04-23-2012, 03:00 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Burke is grossly overestimating that elite UFAs would come to Toronto. We ain't any more desirable than teams like Columbus with all the losing.

Old
04-23-2012, 03:03 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
Burke is grossly overestimating that elite UFAs would come to Toronto. We ain't any more desirable than teams like Columbus with all the losing.
Burke was pretty clear in his year end press conference that he didn't see any help in the free agency market this year.

Don't believe any of this.

Old
04-23-2012, 03:04 PM
Christ

Quote:
WOW, you posted 2 of the worst draft day trades i have ever seen.
...and he did it all in one post, lol

Old
04-23-2012, 03:04 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
Burke was pretty clear in his year end press conference that he didn't see any help in the free agency market this year.

Don't believe any of this.
I doubt he has the assets to make the changes necessarily. Who's going to take the likes of Lombardi etc. Leafs shouldn't just be looking to fill roles, they should be looking to make upgrades at all positions.

Old
04-23-2012, 03:05 PM
shakermaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmas View Post
I think a trade for Jordan Staal would be a good move. A big center who would be a major upgrade over Bozak would be huge for the team.

Something along the lines of

MacArthur
Liles
+ ???

Leaving lines like this puts us in a great position. If we salary dump Connolly, Komi, Lombardi

Lupul-Staal-Kessel
Kadri-Grabo-Kulemin
Armstrong-???-Frattin
Crabb-Steckel-Brown

Gunnar-Phaneuff
Gardiner-Schenn
Franson-Holzer

Reimer
???

Staal would cost Kulemin (has history of playing well with Malkin), our 1st pick this year + Kadri.

If we were getting Nash and Parise I'd for sure do it.

Nash Staal Kessel
Parise Grabovski Lupul
MacArthur Bozak Armstrong
4th Line

When you put the line up there like that, it's still quite young, and would do it and not worry too much about losing that nice pick.

Key is getting Parise and Nash, which we are not. lol.

And we still need a goalie here.

Last edited by shakermaker: 04-23-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old
04-23-2012, 03:06 PM
pspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
Staal would cost Kulemin (has history of playing well with Malkin), our 1st pick this year + Kadri.
no he wouldn't

Kulemin + Schenn or maybe Franson +

depending on how bad they want out of that martin deal that could also be a chip to play

Kulemin, Franson and Connolly for Staal and Martin type deal

not sure a deal with three RFA would ever happen but

Old
04-23-2012, 03:07 PM
xyzz

we need to start having winning ways to be attractive.. its a part of the building process.

No big name UFAs would sign here, and I dont blame them...

This is part of the reason why I'm arguing for Luongo in the other thread (IF he can be had for a reasonable price)

We're a playoff team with Lui, and it makes Toronto a lot more appealing IMO. (bury the contract later on)

Old
04-23-2012, 03:08 PM
ACC1224
vs. New Orleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
How come?

Closed Thread