HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tenth draft pick or second round exit in playoffs?

Old
05-26-2013, 03:30 AM
Nordic*

vCash: 500
Tenth draft pick or second round exit in playoffs?

Which scenario gives the team more?

The benefits from an earlier draft pick is obvious, but making the playoffs and actually getting through the first round gives the players needed playoff experience and self confidence.

Which scenario benefits Ottawa the most?

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 04:25 AM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
You can't possibly know. If the draft pick is McKinnon then it's good. If it's Ivan Novoseltsev then it's a huge bust.

If you face a top seed who makes it to game 6 of the conference finals but in the process you put them through a grueling, see-saw 7-game series with two OT wins then it will be extremely beneficial to the youth. If you face a mediocre first round opponent that is basically good on paper but such a walkover that you get blitzed in the 2nd round then all it does is get your youth smashed in the mouth.

I don't see the benefit of discussing this, but that's just my opinion.

MainDotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 04:38 AM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

It honestly depends on how much the kids learn from being in the 2nd round, and witnessing first hand what it will take to get over that hump.

Personally, considering how beneficial it probably was for our young kids to make it to round 2 (and then getting schooled by Pittsburgh) I'll take the 17th overall pick + 2 rounds of playoff hockey over the 10th pick and an early tee time. No Brainer.

If we're talking a top-5 pick, the argument might be different (depending on club needs, etc...), but the difference between a top-5 pick and the 10th overall pick is pretty massive, IMO. The difference between the 10th pick and the 17th pick is not nearly as severe.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 04:39 AM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWasNoAccident View Post
You can't possibly know. If the draft pick is McKinnon then it's good. If it's Ivan Novoseltsev then it's a huge bust.

If you face a top seed who makes it to game 6 of the conference finals but in the process you put them through a grueling, see-saw 7-game series with two OT wins then it will be extremely beneficial to the youth. If you face a mediocre first round opponent that is basically good on paper but such a walkover that you get blitzed in the 2nd round then all it does is get your youth smashed in the mouth.

Yeah, that's what kinda worries me about the Pittsburgh series. How will the guys react to that blowout...

The way they' never gave up all year give me hope it will spur them onto bigger and better things.

As for the draft pick, choosing between 10th and 17th....you always want the higher one, but sometimes it's kinda better not to have it. If you pick a guy at 10 who's not generally proclaimed to be a top 10-12 pick, people start questioning the guy before he has a chance to even attend camp. Making a bit of a reach for a guy at 17th is slightly more acceptable....and generally the guys taken a bit lower are given a bit more leeway to develop (look at how many people expect Ceci to make the lineup sometime next year ).

We have the chance at 17 to take a boom or bust homerun swing at a player who could develop into a top four D or first liner, which is what we really need coming down the pipeline. We already have a lot of 2nd-3rd line tweeners and 4-6 D...need a few picks to burst out a bit.

Murray & co have done a great job at identifying players, so I trust we'll get a great prospect at 17th. I just hope whoever we get has wheels and elite skill - we're still really lacking in those areas with most of our prospects.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 06:37 AM
StefanW
Get well, Bryan

I don't value draft picks as highly as many people do.

Edmonton raked in first overall picks and other very high picks for a several years in a row and they are still terrible. Ottawa was able to call up players who made Calder Cup runs a couple of years back and they performed wonderfully when the injuries struck. Making the playoffs and making a run is the only standard that matters, and Andre Benoit, Colin Greening, Robin Lehner, et al got the job done for us this year, while RNH and the so-called "big four" di not get the job done for the Oil. This sounds harsh, but it is true.

Picks and potential mean very little. Playoff appearances and success mean everything.

StefanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 06:49 AM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

I'd take the second round of the playoffs 10 times out of 10.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 07:19 AM
Orange Thunder

Playoffs.

Orange Thunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 07:40 AM
Quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
I'd take the second round of the playoffs 10 times out of 10.
This is how I feel as well.

Are we not entertained?

Quo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 07:44 AM
Abattoir

Playoffs without a doubt. Great learning experience and the youngsters now know they still have to ramp it up even more.

Abattoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 07:47 AM
db56

i would take the second round exit. with all the injurys we had all year it well worth it

db56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 09:32 AM
sens2k9

2nd round, every time.
This is a ridiculous thread.

Ask Leaf fans if they'd prefer the top ten or a single playoff round.

sens2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 09:40 AM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Butt a prospekt u guyzzzz!!!!!! He might be good! Could maybe get us to the 2nd round someday!

Rhino Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 09:41 AM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
Butt a prospekt u guyzzzz!!!!!! He might be good! Could maybe get us to the 2nd round someday!

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 09:58 AM
Spinkis

If we don't trade away the rookies that played this year I am sure it will benefit us.

Spinkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 10:28 AM
Orr123

Easily second round.

Top picks for years in a row, doesn't always turn out to be like Pittsburgh. Actually, rarely does.

So, 2nd round exit. Especially if it comes after a 1st round exit the year before. Improvement is great!

Last edited by Orr123: 05-26-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Orr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 10:31 AM
18Hossa

Playoffs AINEC

18Hossa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 10:36 AM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Stanley Cup >

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 10:40 AM
Rals

We beat the Canadiens, that's the most important part.

Rals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 12:53 PM
lafite

For a team like Ottawa, making it to the second round and those extra two home games means Melnyk makes some money. It might make the difference of coughing up some bucks for an impact player they might otherwise not pay for. No idea who that impact player might be though.

lafite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 12:58 PM
Kezia
egg

Playoffs.

Kezia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 01:20 PM
topshelfie
No Rispeck

Prefer playoffs, particularly with Murray's drafting ability. We drafted Karlsson 15th overall in 2008.

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 02:11 PM
Larionov

I would give up a LOT just to experience Game 3 of that Habs series again. :-) That was epic. Beating the Penguins in double OT to salvage a bit of pride - almost as epic.

Playoff wins > almost anything else as an organization. Besides, our young guys needed that experience. Almost inevitably, you have to lose before you can win in this League, and our young core will benefit immensely from that playoff run and, yes, getting spanked by a better team. Silfverberg, Z-bad, Pageau, Cowen - every young guy who hit the wall in that Penguins series will be much better for it. Heck, even the 80s Oilers had to get beat in the playoffs a couple of times first.

Larionov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 02:42 PM
SenatorsLegionary
Member of Sens Army

I'd take playoffs everytime. The guys gave it a good run considering all the injuries and we were able to beat the Habs quite handily and we still get to pick higher than them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larionov View Post
I would give up a LOT just to experience Game 3 of that Habs series again. :-) That was epic. Beating the Penguins in double OT to salvage a bit of pride - almost as epic.

Playoff wins > almost anything else as an organization. Besides, our young guys needed that experience. Almost inevitably, you have to lose before you can win in this League, and our young core will benefit immensely from that playoff run and, yes, getting spanked by a better team. Silfverberg, Z-bad, Pageau, Cowen - every young guy who hit the wall in that Penguins series will be much better for it. Heck, even the 80s Oilers had to get beat in the playoffs a couple of times first.
Exactly this. The Penguins lost to us in 2007 when we went on our run before they became legitimate perrenial contenders. The Blackhawks lost to Detroit the year before they became dominant and won the cup. These were both teams with young cores. Similarly, our young core is going to have to learn from this second round loss and we will be a better team because of it.

SenatorsLegionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 02:58 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

When the best player we got in the 2011 draft was Pageau, does a high pick really matter that much?

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 04:04 PM
dennilfloss
Yes I love disco!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWasNoAccident View Post

I read this as Ivan Bromoseltzer.

dennilfloss is offline   Reply With Quote