HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gonchar Appreciation Thread

Old
05-28-2013, 06:57 AM
sens2k9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Patrick Harris View Post
I swear Gonchar has been the most divisive player on the team this year. He started out loved, then was hated, then was loved again, then hated again and now we love him again.

Then again, I've always been a Gonchar supporter. I think he and Phillips bring some solid veteran presence to a young defensive core.
Me too! I guess nobody believes Paul Maclean when he says that the leadership of the team - Alfie, Phillips, Neil, Gonchar - was instrumental in the teams success this year? He always mentions those four guys. He might know what he's talking about. Also until games 4-5 of the Pittsburgh series (where they made every defenseman look like garbage) you couldn't say that Gonchar was old and washed up.

sens2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 07:05 AM
Spez

The reason why a lot of people want Gonchar gone isn't because of his last two brutal games. It's because he's getting older, slower and won't be improving in his performance. He may not fall off as bad as Kuba did when he left us but I can almost guarantee you if he re-signs with Ottawa then he will be next year's whipping boy. I'd rather the team go for a younger replacement to Gonchar through UFA. No one out there can replace who he is but at the same time I feel like the team in the end wouldn't miss him next season especially if he regresses as bad as Kuba.

Spez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 07:18 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spez View Post
The reason why a lot of people want Gonchar gone isn't because of his last two brutal games. It's because he's getting older, slower and won't be improving in his performance. He may not fall off as bad as Kuba did when he left us but I can almost guarantee you if he re-signs with Ottawa then he will be next year's whipping boy. I'd rather the team go for a younger replacement to Gonchar through UFA. No one out there can replace who he is but at the same time I feel like the team in the end wouldn't miss him next season especially if he regresses as bad as Kuba.
Like who?

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 07:51 AM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Like who?
Obviously Brett Lebda.

White Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 12:27 PM
McFist
@*$&$#!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Like who?
Streit would be awesome if we could somehow make that happen. Still a vet but with a few more years left in him than Gonch. Otherwise I wouldn't complain about re-signing Sarge (for less $$).

McFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 02:42 PM
Dave Sparky Allison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Patrick Harris View Post
I swear Gonchar has been the most divisive player on the team this year. He started out loved, then was hated, then was loved again, then hated again and now we love him again.

Then again, I've always been a Gonchar supporter. I think he and Phillips bring some solid veteran presence to a young defensive core.
That has a lot to do with his play don't you think? He's a very up and down player. He doesn't always give his best effort. With a guy like Alfie you know he's always going to try his best. He may not score every game, but you know the effort will be there. You can't say the sam for Gonchar. Sometimes it seems like he's just going through the motions. Not someone I want to commit 2 years too. Hopefully Murray feels the same way.

Dave Sparky Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 02:44 PM
R2010

If Gonchar was willing to be paid like a #5 then take him. He is a solid #4 or #5. Him on our 3rd pairing at 5 on 5 and 1st pairing for the powerplay is great - as long as the price is there.

R2010 is offline   Reply With Quote