HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So, shall we begin? Armchair GM thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2012, 03:23 AM
murdock1116

vCash: 500
The Sharks were 1-8 against the Blues this season. They lost 4 straight against them to end their playoffs. 1-8?!?! With 4 straight losses?! If that isn't a sign for a coaching staff inability to adapt and make adjustments to systems and match ups I don't know what is. We have a roster that should have pushed the Blues to a MUCH closer series.

- Coaching has to go
- Handzus, Murray, Mitchell have to go

The rest of the team can stay and we can try one more year with them if we get a new system in place.

Old
04-22-2012, 03:25 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Crap, I just realized I haven't *****ed out the coaches yet.

**** the lot of them. They knew exactly the system they'd be playing against and they did absolutely nothing to counter it.

Old
04-22-2012, 03:28 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Its no coincidence both the Wings and Sharks were both out early. The league has figured out the puck possession style both teams play. Both teams were clearly frustrated.

Old
04-22-2012, 03:31 AM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
He's had one minor concussion, and he broke a foot. Hell, if anything that lowers his trade value and helps us. My point is that his upside and potential chemistry with Couture (because I think they'd be great) would be worth the risk.

I actually think Greiss can do it, providing one of the kids is ready. Greiss has played phenomenally considering how sparingly he was used and the fact that he's the type of goaltender that plays better once he gets into a rhythm. He's the last of the Strelow-trained, and that's something I value.
JVR has also been playing through some hip injury, I think it was a cam impingement. It would've taken a surgery and a couple months of rest for him to be 100%.

Old
04-22-2012, 03:36 AM
Le Rosbeef

Quote:
Please don't. We all know Patty's had a **** series. But his playoff GPG over his career is one of the highest active (over a certain amount of games), and his playoff GPG is higher than his regular season PGP. Historically, he steps up his goalscoring in the playoffs.
Sure. Not fair to criticise the team's 2nd highest paid player, for disappearing in a series in which we were offensively smothered.

I've been amongst PM's staunchest and biggest defenders on HF boards in the past but the inconsistency is killing this team and I've had enough. It's not solely on him, granted, but I don't see how he gets a mulligan on this one. Too many series in the past 4/5 years he's gone walkabout (as have others) and for me, it's time to try something else. He was a non-factor throughout - at $6.9m, that's unacceptable.

Old
04-22-2012, 03:36 AM
NWShark*

I would bet my savings that the staff was going to be fired during the season about the time Koala got hit in the head, but Dougie didn't have the stones to fire a guy who was concussed.

Keep the GM. He's maybe only guilty of too many changes. This roster with enough time to jell should have done better with a better system IMO.

New staff, trade Clowe & Patty... I'm sick of watching someone with Pattys physical abilities be invisible when his team needs him most. Try to trade for Nash. If not Nash, do separate deals for some youth with speed and skill. Resign TJ & Winnick. I actually liked Moore during the season too. Their value will be felt better over the course of a season once they are integrated properly. Winnick especially. He has great hands, he just needs to develop his scoring touch and he can be a force as a third liner or fill in on the top 2.

Keep Boyle. The team needs a true warrior like him no matter how old. Reduce his minutes if you have to but they need his voice.

Old
04-22-2012, 03:38 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Rosbeef View Post
Sure. Not fair to criticise the team's 2nd highest paid player, for disappearing in a series in which we were offensively smothered.

I've been amongst PM's staunchest and biggest defenders on HF boards in the past but the inconsistency is killing this team and I've had enough. It's not solely on him, granted, but I don't see how he gets a mulligan on this one. Too many series in the past 4/5 years he's gone walkabout (as have others) and for me, it's time to try something else.
It is completely fair to criticize him. I'm ****ing criticizing him with every other post. Hell, as a huge Marleau fan this hurts me more than the people who figured this was coming.

We all know he's streaky. It's fine to hate that he doesn't show up some series, but it's absolutely not okay to also ignore all the runs where he's been our best player, no matter the team outcome.

Old
04-22-2012, 03:45 AM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

vCash: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
I would bet my savings that the staff was going to be fired during the season about the time Koala got hit in the head, but Dougie didn't have the stones to fire a guy who was concussed.

Keep the GM. He's maybe only guilty of too many changes. This roster with enough time to jell should have done better with a better system IMO.

New staff, trade Clowe & Patty... I'm sick of watching someone with Pattys physical abilities be invisible when his team needs him most. Try to trade for Nash. If not Nash, do separate deals for some youth with speed and skill. Resign TJ & Winnick. I actually liked Moore during the season too. Their value will be felt better over the course of a season once they are integrated properly. Winnick especially. He has great hands, he just needs to develop his scoring touch and he can be a force as a third liner or fill in on the top 2.

Keep Boyle. The team needs a true warrior like him no matter how old. Reduce his minutes if you have to but they need his voice.
I don't think that played a big factor in it. DW is pretty heartless IMO. He traded Seto the day after he re-signed and took a hometown discount. If DW wanted TMac gone, he'd be gone.

Old
04-22-2012, 03:53 AM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
How was Mr. Consistent, Joe Pavelski?
2.9 million less invisible.

Old
04-22-2012, 03:53 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
I don't think that played a big factor in it. DW is pretty heartless IMO. He traded Seto the day after he re-signed and took a hometown discount. If DW wanted TMac gone, he'd be gone.
I think it's different when it's the coach he hand picked. He calls players assets.. he never talks about the coach in such a demeaning way.

Old
04-22-2012, 03:56 AM
NWShark*

Marleau's only had one playoff run where he was the best player for more than one series. At his price I expect more. Time to throw that baby chick out the nest and let him fly with someone else.

Thorton has made his mark on pretty much every playoff series in the last couple years. He get's it.

Old
04-22-2012, 03:57 AM
ChubbChubby
My life is a gym

Quote:
How was Mr. Consistent, Joe Pavelski?
Terrible, but that doesn't answer the question. Not a great way to dodge the question either if the best answer you can come up with is "someone else was just as useless!"

Also I'm not sold on Semin. He's on a hotstreak and he's playing for his next contract. I think it will be a mistake if any team gives him a payday expecting this kind of performance all the time. Sharks don't need another inconsistent player.

Old
04-22-2012, 03:59 AM
NWShark*

How on earth is there still a thought that Demers somehow has more upside than Braun? Wasn't Demers like a 6th round choice? If anyone else in the league thinks that way I say trade him now and get a decent return. Gotta be someone ready to come up from the baby sharks to replace his spot in the press box...

Braun was better in every way this year.

Old
04-22-2012, 04:02 AM
ChubbChubby
My life is a gym

Quote:
How on earth is there still a thought that Demers somehow has more upside than Braun? Wasn't Demers like a 6th round choice? If anyone else in the league thinks that way I say trade him now and get a decent return. Gotta be someone ready to come up from the baby sharks to replace his spot in the press box...
I think it's more that Demers' value on the market is low right now and it's not a smart idea to trade him at this point in his career. There's no doubt that he will get better, so if he were to be traded, it would be some time in the future when his value is at its peak.

Old
04-22-2012, 04:02 AM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

What's the point of getting a streaky Russian when you already have a streaky Canadian?

Old
04-22-2012, 04:03 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
Terrible, but that doesn't answer the question. Not a great way to dodge the question either if the best answer you can come up with is "someone else was just as useless!"

Also I'm not sold on Semin. He's on a hotstreak and he's playing for his next contract. I think it will be a mistake if any team gives him a payday expecting this kind of performance all the time. Sharks don't need another inconsistent player.
Why do I have to answer the question? The only purpose behind it at this point is to bait. That's it. People like to speak about consistency but look at who we have as consistent players and see what they did. I could care less about consistency at this point. This team needs to improve certain basic things like systems, team speed, meshing skill sets, and putting players in positions that maximize their abilities. This entire season was more or less spent on putting square pegs into round holes and it is why consistency was an issue for everybody this year.

Old
04-22-2012, 04:04 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:

Braun was better in every way this year.
Braun was also a 7th rounder.

Demers has more upside, period. He played like a legit #3 down the stretch and in the playoffs last season. He's had a bad, bad year, but I think he'll bounce back.

Old
04-22-2012, 04:06 AM
OnTheFence

Crazy late night thoughts

Joe Pavelski, Ryane Clowe, Antti Niemi, 2nd rd pick (55th overall)

Rick Nash, Steve Mason, 1st rd pick (LA)

DW makes his annual trade for a superstar by acquiring Rick Nash to pair up with Joe Thornton on the top line. Sharks ship out 2 slower players for a much quicker and skilled player. They also swap a solid goaltender in Niemi for a struggling, yet IMO still high potential goalie in Steve Mason. Depending on how far LA makes it, the difference in picks will be small, however it allows the Sharks to have two 1st's to restock the cupboard, or move up in the draft. They also save roughly $700k in cap space.

Douglas Murray

2nd rd pick (34th overall) + FWD prospect

Pretty sure this trade has been agreed upon by fans of both sides. The 2nd rd pick can be packaged with other draft picks to move up if need be.

Dan Boyle + 4th rd pick

Devin Setoguchi + Cal Clutterbuck

I believe Clutterbuck had a falling out with either the Minnesota management, the coach, or both at the end of the year. Setoguchi hasn't been what they hoped he'd be. There's a history between these two teams in trades, and the Wild's hot start this past season, before the injuries took their toll, might make them think they are contenders, and could use Boyle's services.

Re-sign Dominic Moore
Re-sign T.J. Galiardi
Sign Brad Stuart
Sign Matt Carle

Nash - Thornton - Setoguchi (Should be the best line in the NHL)
Marleau - Couture - Havlat (Highly skilled and defensively responsible)
Winnik - Moore - Clutterbuck (Epic checking line that can still pot some goals)
Wingels - Desjardins- Galiardi (Solid 4th line, with fill-ins for 3rd line incase of injury)

Burns - Vlasic
Stuart - Carle
Demers - Braun
(Very mobile defense)

Mason
Griess
(Run these two as a tandem 1A, 1B until one emerges)

Old
04-22-2012, 04:06 AM
wtfisthis

Quote:
Thats the only argument Im seeing for Marleau around here. Im pretty sure management didnt pay him 6.9m just to be as useless as guys getting paid 2/3/4/5/6 times less.

Old
04-22-2012, 04:08 AM
ChubbChubby
My life is a gym

Quote:
Why do I have to answer the question? The only purpose behind it at this point is to bait. That's it. People like to speak about consistency but look at who we have as consistent players and see what they did. I could care less about consistency at this point. This team needs to improve certain basic things like systems, team speed, meshing skill sets, and putting players in positions that maximize their abilities. This entire season was more or less spent on putting square pegs into round holes and it is why consistency was an issue for everybody this year.
You did answer the question, so I guess the baiting worked. Consistent players? How about Thornton? Players need to elevate their game in the post season, and if you can't even make a difference in a series, let alone an elimination game, then yeah you deserve calling out. I know the system is crap and I agree that it's mostly the staff to blame, but good players still find a way to contribute. A poor system didn't stop Thornton from being the best player on the ice, and Marleau is in the same pay grade.

Old
04-22-2012, 04:08 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfisthis View Post
Thats the only argument Im seeing for Marleau around here. Im pretty sure management didnt pay him 6.9m just to be as useless as guys getting paid 2/3/4/5/6 times less.
There is one person defending Marleau around here. Keep beating a dead horse, wouldja?

Old
04-22-2012, 04:09 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
You did answer the question, so I guess the baiting worked. Consistent players? How about Thornton? Players need to elevate their game in the post season, and if you can't even make a difference in a series, let alone an elimination game, then yeah you deserve calling out. I know the system is crap and I agree that it's mostly the staff to blame, but good players still find a way to contribute. A poor system didn't stop Thornton from being the best player on the ice.
I'm not defending Marleau, but the system is catered exactly to Thornton and exactly the opposite of where Marleau thrives. Anyone remember back when the Sharks were a fast, hard-working team and Marleau thrived in that setting, and he thrived in 05-06 with two skilled rookies on his wing.

Old
04-22-2012, 04:11 AM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
I'm not defending Marleau, but the system is catered exactly to Thornton and exactly the opposite of where Marleau thrives. .
That didn't exactly stop Marleau from thriving in the first half of 09-10 where Marleau - Thornton - Heatley was the best line in the NHL.

Old
04-22-2012, 04:11 AM
wtfisthis

Quote:
There is one person defending Marleau around here. Keep beating a dead horse, wouldja?
Not only talking about right now, there had been way more people defending him than one person and you were one of them.

Old
04-22-2012, 04:13 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
That didn't exactly stop Marleau from thriving in the first half of 09-10 where Marleau - Thornton - Heatley was the best line in the NHL.
He scored 30 goals in his first 49 games, and then was not particularly good the rest of the season. I'd call it an extended Marleau-hotstreak.

Closed Thread