HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

So, shall we begin? Armchair GM thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2012, 04:14 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
You did answer the question, so I guess the baiting worked. Consistent players? How about Thornton? Players need to elevate their game in the post season, and if you can't even make a difference in a series, let alone an elimination game, then yeah you deserve calling out. I know the system is crap and I agree that it's mostly the staff to blame, but good players still find a way to contribute. A poor system didn't stop Thornton from being the best player on the ice, and Marleau is in the same pay grade.
Doesn't make it any less true of what the intentions were behind it. It wasn't meant to call out the player. As for Thornton, you can call him the best of what was out there if you want but he was far from a perfect player and he was certainly not playing as good as he could have. Neither were good enough at the end of the day. The whole thing about is that it's just utterly pointless to stick it to other posters when the team failed and neither are probably going anywhere.

Old
04-22-2012, 04:15 AM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfisthis View Post
Not only talking about right now, there had been way more people defending him than one person and you were one of them.
I'm defending him in the sense that I think trading him is one of the dumbest popular ideas on here. But I'm not defending his ****** series. There is a big difference.

Old
04-22-2012, 04:16 AM
Chubbs
Toasty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
He scored 30 goals in his first 49 games, and then was not particularly good the rest of the season. I'd call it an extended Marleau-hotstreak.
His scoring tailed off when he was locked into an Olympic roster. The guy can light it up when he has the motivation.

Old
04-22-2012, 04:19 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
His scoring tailed off when he was locked into an Olympic roster. The guy can light it up when he has the motivation.
Do you really want to argue that Marleau isn't motivated to win the Stanley Cup?

Old
04-22-2012, 04:20 AM
Chubbs
Toasty

Quote:
I'm defending him in the sense that I think trading him is one of the dumbest popular ideas on here. But I'm not defending his ****** series. There is a big difference.
Yeah, trading him is a terrible idea. He'll never waive, and even if he did he'd get to control his destination. Also no team will give you a good return so the Sharks would end up in an even worse situation. Like it or not, he's on the books for the next two years.

Old
04-22-2012, 04:20 AM
Chubbs
Toasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Do you really want to argue that Marleau isn't motivated to win the Stanley Cup?
Everyone wants to win it. Not everyone wants to work for it.

Old
04-22-2012, 04:21 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Everyone wants to win it. Not everyone wants to work for it.
So now you want to argue that he doesn't want to work for it?

Old
04-22-2012, 04:25 AM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

Quote:
Yeah, trading him is a terrible idea. He'll never waive, and even if he did he'd get to control his destination. Also no team will give you a good return so the Sharks would end up in an even worse situation. Like it or not, he's on the books for the next two years.
Besides that, he's our only speedy, durable top-6 forward. That's the last type of player we need to be getting rid of.

Old
04-22-2012, 04:26 AM
Chubbs
Toasty

Quote:
So now you want to argue that he doesn't want to work for it?
We can argue semantics all you want. He's not a player who steps up when everything is on the line. To me, that's not working hard enough.

Old
04-22-2012, 04:26 AM
wtfisthis

Quote:
Besides that, he's our only speedy, durable top-6 forward. That's the last type of player we need to be getting rid of.
Yeah hes speedy, but he rarely takes advantage of that speed, so whats the point?

Old
04-22-2012, 04:28 AM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

Quote:
Doesn't make it any less true of what the intentions were behind it. It wasn't meant to call out the player. As for Thornton, you can call him the best of what was out there if you want but he was far from a perfect player and he was certainly not playing as good as he could have. Neither were good enough at the end of the day. The whole thing about is that it's just utterly pointless to stick it to other posters when the team failed and neither are probably going anywhere.
Im sorry. You're so blinded and deluded.

You keep saying that neither one was good at the end of the day, yet only 1 of them was PPG pace, while the other was pointless in the post season for the 2nd time in his career. He tied his worse performance in the playoffs which was the 1st post season he ever had.

At the end of the day, you just don't have it in you to criticize the guy for his crap performance.
Instead you prefer to just commit a Tu quoque fallacy to defend the guy.

Old
04-22-2012, 04:29 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
We can argue semantics all you want. He's not a player who steps up when everything is on the line. To me, that's not working hard enough.
That's an awfully big statement about a guy that potted nine goals in nine games in the two series that had a trip to the Stanley Cup Finals on the line. Maybe it's not about some stupid work hard cliche.

Old
04-22-2012, 04:29 AM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfisthis View Post
Yeah hes speedy, but he rarely takes advantage of that speed, so whats the point?
Well, the idea is to change the "system" to one what will cater to speedier players.

Old
04-22-2012, 04:32 AM
Bizz06
Registered Goon

vCash: 50
There is no defending Marleau after this disappearing act he pulled, he's a ******* ****** hockey player and if I was Doug Wilson I'd be finding out any possible way to get rid of him starting today, even if it means a buyout and dumping him in the AHL. ****ing sick of this ****.

Old
04-22-2012, 04:33 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRemonster View Post
Im sorry. You're so blinded and deluded.

You keep saying that neither one was good at the end of the day, yet only 1 of them was PPG pace, while the other was pointless in the post season for the 2nd time in his career. He tied his worse performance in the playoffs which was the 1st post season he ever had.

At the end of the day, you just don't have it in you to criticize the guy for his crap performance.
Instead you prefer to just commit a Tu quoque fallacy to defend the guy.
First of all, you're wrong. I have spent many nights criticizing Marleau over the years. Secondly, Thornton may have been a point per game but he was far from being a great or dominant player. His defensive play wasn't good. His play on the power play was abysmal.

Marleau wasn't great either but he was nowhere near as bad as people make him out to be. He wasn't floating. I can understand the production side of it as part of his expectations but not the entire thing.

Old
04-22-2012, 04:35 AM
Chubbs
Toasty

Quote:
That's an awfully big statement about a guy that potted nine goals in nine games in the two series that had a trip to the Stanley Cup Finals on the line. Maybe it's not about some stupid work hard cliche.
You seem to forget how he almost singlehandedly cost the Sharks the Detroit series last year (which ended up injuring some of our key players due to the drawn out series) and he went missing again this year.

By the time he got those goals last year the team was already beat to hell. Also I'm pretty sure we lost those series where he potted those goals. I think you were the one criticizing Thornton not even a day ago for putting up useless points this series.

Old
04-22-2012, 04:38 AM
Chubbs
Toasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
There is no defending Marleau after this disappearing act he pulled, he's a ******* ****** hockey player and if I was Doug Wilson I'd be finding out any possible way to get rid of him starting today, even if it means a buyout and dumping him in the AHL. ****ing sick of this ****.
And this is where I draw the line and see why PF has a blind urge to defend Marleau. Unfortunately you think anyone who criticizes Marleau is on the same page when that's not the case.

Old
04-22-2012, 04:39 AM
Le Rosbeef

Quote:
First of all, you're wrong. I have spent many nights criticizing Marleau over the years. Secondly, Thornton may have been a point per game but he was far from being a great or dominant player. His defensive play wasn't good. His play on the power play was abysmal.

Marleau wasn't great either but he was nowhere near as bad as people make him out to be. He wasn't floating. I can understand the production side of it as part of his expectations but not the entire thing.
Defending Marleau by comparing him to Thornton's play in this series is a lost cause. Absurd.

Old
04-22-2012, 04:41 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
You seem to forget how he almost singlehandedly cost the Sharks the Detroit series last year (which ended up injuring some of our key players due to the drawn out series) and he went missing again this year.

By the time he got those goals last year the team was already beat to hell. Also I'm pretty sure we lost those series where he potted those goals. I think you were the one criticizing Thornton not even a day ago for putting up useless points this series.
lol single-handedly? Give me a break. That's scapegoating at its finest.

And the Thornton thing was different than Marleau's. Context has a hell of a lot to do with it and it seems that you're the one forgetting here. Three of Marleau's four goals against the Canucks either gave the Sharks the lead or tied the game. And the story was similar against Chicago. Three of Thornton's five points in this series came in situations where the game was pretty much decided by the time the points were put on the board.

There is a significant difference.

Old
04-22-2012, 04:43 AM
Chubbs
Toasty

Quote:

He wasn't floating in the last game. I said it before but I thought he was doing a lot of things right. He was backchecking, skating hard, and competing along the boards. Unfortunately that's not what he's paid to do.

He was also abyssmal at other times in the series and not doing those things, and sometimes the change would happen in the middle of a game. When you can't even find a level of consistency within a single game, I find it reasonable to question his compete level and mental strength. That's what I consider not working hard enough.

Old
04-22-2012, 04:44 AM
Bizz06
Registered Goon

vCash: 50
So what? Marleau scored 30, even 40 goals on Thornton's wing, big ****ing ****. Cheechoo scored 56 and he's wasting away in the minors. Marleau's production can be replaced, and for less, and certainly with someone who can do a whole lot more than float around and score ZERO points in the playoffs.

Old
04-22-2012, 04:45 AM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

Quote:

Justify it however you want, man. Patty played liked utter ********* completely independent of other players. That's the whole point. Joe Thornton despite how ****** everyone else on his team played and despite how ****** the system is STILL MANAGED to factor in 5 points into this series.

Yet, here you are trying to couple them together.

Patty was bad. Just admit it with no circumstances surrounding it, and get over it.

Old
04-22-2012, 04:47 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
He wasn't floating in the last game. I said it before but I thought he was doing a lot of things right. He was backchecking, skating hard, and competing along the boards. Unfortunately that's not what he's paid to do.

He was also abyssmal at other times in the series and not doing those things, and sometimes the change would happen in the middle of a game. When you can't even find a level of consistency within a single game, I find it reasonable to question his compete level and mental strength. That's what I consider not working hard enough.
And if you go back and look at everyone and apply a relatively similar standard, you can make that claim about everyone for the Sharks in this series, including Jumbo. Jumbo wasn't always hard on the back check, he certainly wasn't as physical as Marleau, and he was making many soft plays with the puck especially on the power play.

Old
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

vCash: 327
I think Galiardi deserves another shot, he didn't get to prove himself, let the Sharks build him up the proper way.

Old
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRemonster View Post
Justify it however you want, man. Patty played liked utter ********* completely independent of other players. That's the whole point. Joe Thornton despite how ****** everyone else on his team played and despite how ****** the system is STILL MANAGED to factor in 5 points into this series.

Yet, here you are trying to couple them together.

Patty was bad. Just admit it with no circumstances surrounding it, and get over it.
lol maybe you just need to calm down.

Closed Thread