HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

So, shall we begin? Armchair GM thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2012, 07:32 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I like Eller, but he tops out as a good two-way #2C. It's entirely possible he's a career #3C.
Eller reminds me of a slightly-less-rich-man's Pavelski.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
04-22-2012, 07:32 PM
OnTheFence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Fin Soup View Post
Iginla is gonna be 35 soon. He's a power forward so who knows when his body will give up on him. Come on, guys. This isn't 26 year old Iginla. Say what you will about Thornton or Marleau not hitting anybody, but that will extend their careers. No matter how much heart Iginla has, once his body gives up on him, it's over. Ask Owen Nolan. Iginla probably has a couple of productive years left but you never know. I want young, FAST, and hopefully dynamic players.
Quote:
A Nashville fan offered us Clowe for Hornqvist and a 3rd, which I would take in a heartbeat.
We've been offered Clowe for Eller and a 2nd.
We've been offered Clowe for Dubinsky +.
We've been offered Clowe for Paajarvi +.

There are plenty of options out there.
I doubt Nashville does the that trade. Hornqvist has averaged 26goals/year the last 3 seasons.
Eller to play as our 3rd line center? I suppose this one is fine. Not sure why Montreal would want to give up on a 22 year old, though.
The Dubinksy trade is the only one that would make sense, but to say he's "dynamic" would be a huge stretch.
Lol, yeah Edmonton is going to give up on PRV this soon.

Old
04-22-2012, 07:34 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
He's bigger and lower IQ, is the impression I've always gotten. But I don't see him breaking 50 points except for a career year. His goal stats this season are inflated because of that crazy 4 goal game.

Old
04-22-2012, 07:34 PM
BigTime

Quote:
I like Eller, but he tops out as a good two-way #2C. It's entirely possible he's a career #3C.
oh he def tops out at a 2C. he looks like a great replacement for Plekanec in a couple years with maybe a little more offensive upside. He's a great 3C to have and slots in at our third line center perfectly for now. What the habs need is someone on our second line to play with pleks so he doesnt play with Ryan White and Rene Bourque
thats why i was curious about marleau and what SJ would want for him.
Of course they would have to deal with the Gomez situation first but he will surely be bought out or sent to minors or europe etc... doesnt matter he's played his last game in montreal

Old
04-22-2012, 07:37 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
That is exactly why I would be interested in him. Eller may not have the hockey IQ that Pavs has but he's somewhere near it but it is made up for in his quickness.

People can talk about physicality all they want but in this NHL, physicality is secondary to skill and speed. It's been that way since they took clutch and grab away as a legitimate defense.

The biggest problem that this particular group of Sharks have is that they have NO, none, zilch, nada, niet transition game. You can't win consistently if you can only score off the cycle and the power play. One of those will dry up in the post-season and you see the results. The lack of transition allows teams like the Blues to aggressively pressure us in our zone because we won't stretch the ice and when we do, we pull up in the zone and start cycling anyway.

A quick way for the Sharks to get back to where they belong is to reimplement the transition game. That happens by getting at least two of your three forwards on a line with speed.

Old
04-22-2012, 07:38 PM
BigTime

Quote:
He's bigger and lower IQ, is the impression I've always gotten. But I don't see him breaking 50 points except for a career year. His goal stats this season are inflated because of that crazy 4 goal game.
he also plays zero PP minutes and plays prolly less than 15 min a game. He could hit more like 60 in a career year easy

Old
04-22-2012, 07:41 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Maybe we can hold someone from Phoenix hostage until they agree to give us Martin Hanzal, Lauri Korpikoski, and Rostislav Klesla for Handzus and the pending FA rights to Colin White. Because I'm such a nice guy, I'd even be willing to take Gilbert Brule off their hands.

Old
04-22-2012, 07:41 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun2083 View Post
he also plays zero PP minutes and plays prolly less than 15 min a game. He could hit more like 60 in a career year easy
I think Eller can reach Pavelski-like numbers on the Sharks if he's playing with guys like Marleau and Havlat. As you said, he would get power play time here and play with much better offensive talent. He'd get a lot more chances to score here.

Old
04-22-2012, 07:44 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
oh he def tops out at a 2C. he looks like a great replacement for Plekanec in a couple years with maybe a little more offensive upside. He's a great 3C to have and slots in at our third line center perfectly for now. What the habs need is someone on our second line to play with pleks so he doesnt play with Ryan White and Rene Bourque
thats why i was curious about marleau and what SJ would want for him.
Of course they would have to deal with the Gomez situation first but he will surely be bought out or sent to minors or europe etc... doesnt matter he's played his last game in montreal
It'd be Eller++ for Marleau. I know fans don't value him much, but he's still a top-line winger/center, he's still a lock for 30 goals year in year out, and he still is a multi-dimensional player.

Quote:
Eller wasn't given much TOI, but he was outscored in EV points per minute by Travis Moen and Louis Leblanc. Doesn't scream "60 point player" to me.

Old
04-22-2012, 07:47 PM
BigTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I think Eller can reach Pavelski-like numbers on the Sharks if he's playing with guys like Marleau and Havlat. As you said, he would get power play time here and play with much better offensive talent. He'd get a lot more chances to score here.
I agree, he's actually a great playmaker and has a decent shot. He won't hurt you defensively either. I mean he's only 22 and has improved every year with hardly any ice time in that disater called montreal. I like him at 3C for now until he develops a little more

But like i said im curious what SJ would want from montreal for marleau

Old
04-22-2012, 07:52 PM
BigTime

Quote:
It'd be Eller++ for Marleau. I know fans don't value him much, but he's still a top-line winger/center, he's still a lock for 30 goals year in year out, and he still is a multi-dimensional player.

Eller wasn't given much TOI, but he was outscored in EV points per minute by Travis Moen and Louis Leblanc. Doesn't scream "60 point player" to me.
thats because leblanc played on our second line the whole time he was up
he's 22 and does have improvement to make but had 28 pts this year on a s**t with very limited ice time and playing with players like moen and darche. Every time he has skilled linemates he excelled. He's could easily develop into a consistent 50 pts guy who can play in a defensive role. I'm not saying he's there yet but his stats will improve next year again that i am sure of

Old
04-22-2012, 07:54 PM
murdock1116

Quote:
His Corsi was the worst of any Flames forward. Glencross and Jokinen are much better at this point.
In 2008 Kent Huskins had the 6th best Corsi rating amongst all Defensemen in the NHL....I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket for that number.

Old
04-22-2012, 07:54 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
thats because leblanc played on our second line the whole time he was up
he's 22 and does have improvement to make but had 28 pts this year on a s**t with very limited ice time and playing with players like moen and darche. Every time he has skilled linemates he excelled. He's could easily develop into a consistent 50 pts guy who can play in a defensive role. I'm not saying he's there yet but his stats will improve next year again that i am sure of
I'm sure he'll improve too. But I just don't see him being more than a 50 point two-way #2/3C.

By the time Pavelski was 22, he scored 28 points in 46 games in the NHL.

Old
04-22-2012, 07:55 PM
BigTime

Quote:

i agree that thats what SJ would prolly want which i don't think montreal would do unless they draft a big C at the draft to replace him i.e grigorenko

Old
04-22-2012, 07:56 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdock1116 View Post
In 2008 Kent Huskins had the 6th best Corsi rating amongst all Defensemen in the NHL....I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket for that number.
That's only part of the argument. He's also old and slow and overpaid and not the skillset that we need.

Old
04-22-2012, 07:57 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
I agree, he's actually a great playmaker and has a decent shot. He won't hurt you defensively either. I mean he's only 22 and has improved every year with hardly any ice time in that disater called montreal. I like him at 3C for now until he develops a little more

But like i said im curious what SJ would want from montreal for marleau
It's tough to get a real gauge on Marleau's trade value because of his NMC. It's easy to speak about what the Sharks will be looking for. Young and fast forwards with scoring ability and/or two-way play and draft picks. The problem here is the NMC and the fact that Marleau is the type of player they need to get better. This team is too slow and has zero transition game and that is really what will get you killed in the playoffs when a team eventually takes something you do well away like cycling or your power play.

Personally, I'm not putting Marleau on the table for Montreal unless Pacioretty is available and that's not going to happen.

Old
04-22-2012, 07:58 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
i agree that thats what SJ would prolly want which i don't think montreal would do unless they draft a big C at the draft to replace him i.e grigorenko
Any reason to think that Montreal won't draft Grigs? If they draft Grigs, then they have him, Plekanec, and Desharnais down the middle and Eller is expendable.

Old
04-22-2012, 08:05 PM
BigTime

Quote:
Any reason to think that Montreal won't draft Grigs? If they draft Grigs, then they have him, Plekanec, and Desharnais down the middle and Eller is expendable.
I think they will def go with a C which your right makes Eller and even Pleks expendable. I dont see CBJ choosing another russian with the luck they have

its just hard to trade Eller when he is our only center over 6 feet haha....

and Pinkfloyd i agree its unlikely Patches is going anywhere

Old
04-22-2012, 08:56 PM
Channing Tatum
Step Up: On Ice

heres another thing we should improve on.

attracting free agents. I would rather slightly overpay them, instead of gutting our already barren farm

Old
04-22-2012, 09:02 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Okay, so here's me being bored and idealitic:

FORWARDS
Zach Parise ($7.000m) / Joe Thornton ($7.000m) / Patric Hornqvist ($3.083m)
Logan Couture ($2.875m) / Patrick Marleau ($6.900m) / Martin Havlat ($5.000m)
Daniel Winnik ($2.500m) / Joe Pavelski ($4.000m) / Tommy Wingels ($1.000m)
T.J. Galiardi ($0.750m) / Andrew Desjardins ($0.750m) / James Sheppard ($0.725m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($3.100m) / Brent Burns ($5.760m)
Matt Carle ($4.501m) / Brad Stuart ($2.750m)
Justin Braun ($1.250m) / Jason Demers ($1.250m)

GOALTENDERS
Antti Niemi ($3.800m)
Thomas Greiss ($0.588m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $66,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,581,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $1,418,667

I don't exactly know what I've traded Boyle for, but let's pretend it's a prospect and/or pick.

Old
04-22-2012, 09:07 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Parise would not sign here because some team could offer the same cap hit but give him some ridiculous frontloaded contract or some "signing" bonus like the massive one Error got.

Old
04-22-2012, 09:07 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Parise would not sign here because some team could offer the same cap hit but give him some ridiculous frontloaded contract or some "signing" bonus like the massive one Error got.
That's why I said "me being bored and idealistic".

Old
04-22-2012, 09:10 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Another thing I think the Sharks need to do better is define roles and establish a playing style and identity. They never had that all year, they would play a physical, hard game against Chicago, Detroit etc etc but against everyone else it was the grind it out, cautious game.

Old
04-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
That's why I said "me being bored and idealistic".
Idealistic would have Suter in the lineup too.

Old
04-22-2012, 09:21 PM
lsx

IMO any lineup proposed with Niemi and/or Mclellan still in it is a mistake.

Closed Thread