HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part X

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2012, 09:26 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part X

Oh more round and round discussion! Commence now!

Previous http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1118425.

That one only lasted a couple of days, lol.

02-27-2012, 09:26 PM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
Cue Jim Mora Sr:

Playoffs, you're talking about playoffs!!?? Dont talk to me about the Playoffs!!!!

We arent going anywhere in the playoffs! Get it thru your head! "Team disfunction/malfunction" couldnt go squat when they had a gelled, cohesive group. They have none of that now, and may not *even make* the damn playoffs!

How about 3.5m reasons of cap space to head into next season, and someone getting fired for acting like an ass head and calling out his boss in public? How about that reason?

Good lord people
Wouldn't you at least want to try and make the playoffs? And if we do, are you still gonna say we can't go far? And if we win one round, I'm sure your gonna change your mind quick

Old
02-27-2012, 09:29 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
Wouldn't you at least want to try and make the playoffs? And if we do, are you still gonna say we can't go far? And if we win one round, I'm sure your gonna change your mind quick
The hope for the playoffs is, in my mind, why they didn't trade Wideman. That's fine with me. But they didn't help themselves either.

FLA got better (Wolski could be a huge addition). WPG got marginally worse, maybe (Oduya is terrible but Clitsome is low impact regardless). TOR is basically the same.

Really all about fixing whatever is wrong on the road. Does Green getting the rust off make the difference there? They'd better hope so, because he's the only thing on this team that should be getting better over the next few weeks.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:30 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
The only trail that makes sense to me is Ted telling gmgm not to buy. And somehow subtly or directly told him he's living or dying with this roster.... And he could sell if he likes.

And if that's the sequence... Ted's the idiot and gmgm is the self-interested party.
I worry Ted gave GMGM a vote of confidence, hence GMGM not doing squat.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:40 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
I think Ted and George wanted to make a playoff push. Its part of their plan, compete every year and one year the cup will fall in our laps. I think Ted told him the regular, do what you think is best. I dont know dick.

I think its wrong to conclusively say one big trade would not make us contenders. We were so close the past few years, that same core intact. About the only thing George hasn't tried is one big trade, moving out someone he covets, to address our C depth. He has added vets at W D and G, let's free agents he picked up, walk. His flaw, he is gun shy to pull off a big deal and in doing so, remains unable to help this team get to the next level.

He prefers to live and die at the draft table.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:43 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
I can understand that....so why not add something in the week+ beforehand? I am not saying a mortgage of the future...but good lord.

Vermette or Pahlsson to back fill in the C spot? Add another W for scoring depth? Doing nothing shows the exact indecisive attitude that got this team into this mess in the first place.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:45 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I think Ted and George wanted to make a playoff push. Its part of their plan, compete every year and one year the cup will fall in our laps. I think Ted told him the regular, do what you think is best. I dont know dick.

I think its wrong to conclusively say one big trade would not make us contenders. We were so close the past few years, that same core intact. About the only thing George hasn't tried is one big trade, moving out someone he covets, to address our C depth. He has added vets at W D and G, let's free agents he picked up, walk. His flaw, he is gun shy to pull off a big deal and in doing so, remains unable to help this team get to the next level.

He is going to live and die at the draft table.
this. 1000x this

Old
02-27-2012, 09:49 PM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
I can understand that....so why not add something in the week+ beforehand? I am not saying a mortgage of the future...but good lord.

Vermette or Pahlsson to back fill in the C spot? Add another W for scoring depth? Doing nothing shows the exact indecisive attitude that got this team into this mess in the first place.
I'm sure he tried. It's not like he didn't try but maybe the other teams didnt want to trade with us

Old
02-27-2012, 09:52 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Sitting when you are a fringe @#$^ing playoff team, with a bunch of UFAs is the worst ****ing outcome possible. I seriously would have preferred us throwing a ****ing bone at Penner or some overpriced **** like that.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:58 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'm sure he tried. It's not like he didn't try but maybe the other teams didnt want to trade with us
Nobody is buying the excuses anymore...

It's his job to make deals happen. If teams don't want to trade us, it's because our stuff isn't as good as people want to believe.

Old
02-27-2012, 09:59 PM
Atlas

Quote:
this. 1000x this

McPhee's trades are usually good value trades. He just doesn't trade nearly often enough. If he made 10 deals/yr and won 7 he'd build out a kingdom of assets in short. As it is, his assets are turning UFA's and getting too expensive. Also, the players are too comfortable.

It's pretty bleak.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:06 PM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Nobody is buying the excuses anymore...

It's his job to make deals happen. If teams don't want to trade us, it's because our stuff isn't as good as people want to believe.
You know it's a lot easier said than done. Imagine someone coming to your job tellin you what you should do cause it's so easy but the guy doesn't know anything about how your job works. This applies here as well

Old
02-27-2012, 10:15 PM
Atlas

Quote:
You know it's a lot easier said than done. Imagine someone coming to your job tellin you what you should do cause it's so easy but the guy doesn't know anything about how your job works. This applies here as well

G3,

I was going to chew you out and compare you unfavorably to txpd...

...but instead I will tell you that I saw Eric Johnson in the grocery store last night. And I spent some time with the even more amazing Les Paul in 2004.

That's much more pleasant to talk about than the Caps.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:18 PM
IafrateOvie34

I'm not shocked at all with Hamrlik and Wideman staying. GMGM covets those type of defensemen. Not a surprise he didn't do anything either. This almost 2000 again, except the players aren't over the hill players like the core group then. None of what happened today with the Caps is a shocker.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:20 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
thats what everyone always said....."I'm sure he tried". He's always *trying*. Well, its time for someone that can actually DO, not TRY.

Off with his head!

Old
02-27-2012, 10:26 PM
amjay13
HFBoards Sponsor

The thing I have the biggest issue with is keeping Hamrlik after he questioned Hunter through the media. That should never fly within an organization. I don't care if he had to take equal money back and throw in a pick, you get Hamrlik out of here.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:30 PM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
G3,

I was going to chew you out and compare you unfavorably to txpd...

...but instead I will tell you that I saw Eric Johnson in the grocery store last night. And I spent some time with the even more amazing Les Paul in 2004.

That's much more pleasant to talk about than the Caps.
Dude, that's so awesome! Did you talk to Eric? Was he up in DC?

And yes this is way better than te caps.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:39 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Dude, that's so awesome! Did you talk to Eric? Was he up in DC?

And yes this is way better than te caps.

Yes we talked. And no, I'm in Austin. He's an acquaintance of mine. He is a very nice person--a little spacey and ethereal--but very very nice. Enigmatic actually, something like our #28.

Les Paul, in case you are interested, was very down-to-earth, intelligent and funny. He had an incredibly clear mind. World-class focus.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:41 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

My roommate also saw Eric in a taco place yesterday.

02-27-2012, 10:45 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
The thing I have the biggest issue with is keeping Hamrlik after he questioned Hunter through the media. That should never fly within an organization. I don't care if he had to take equal money back and throw in a pick, you get Hamrlik out of here.
I think Knuble may have even said today that he is a place holder for Aucoin? It may have been someone here that said that, I dunno.

But I agree with your post. The locker room is going to be awkward unless we win a shiat load of games. even then, I am not certain Hammer will ever go out of his way to do anything extra for Dale/George. In retaining Hammer, has he shown more allegiance to Hammer than Dale, versus shipping him off to a lame duck city / non contender, for instance.

I did predict Hammer getting moved for a prospect, not a pick. I didnt know George would hold out for that. : I predicted a questionable skating C prospect that had played in London.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:55 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I think Knuble may have even said today that he is a place holder for Aucoin? It may have been someone here that said that, I dunno.

But I agree with your post. The locker room is going to be awkward unless we win a shiat load of games. even then, I am not certain Hammer will ever go out of his way to do anything extra for Dale/George. In retaining Hammer, has he shown more allegiance to Hammer than Dale, versus shipping him off to a lame duck city / non contender, for instance.

I did predict Hammer getting moved for a prospect, not a pick. I didnt know George would hold out for that. : I predicted a questionable skating C prospect that had played in London.

RH,

Don't you think the PR problems are overblown by a zillion light years in the media? So Knoobs is a little pissed off? He wouldn't be Knoobs w/ 3 goals if he wasn't pissed off. He's not setting puppies on fire. And Hamr didn't say anything either. These guys are class acts--not thugs. We need more bad attitude. Not less.

Old
02-27-2012, 10:56 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain
Wideman sucks...meaning, roughly, he has no place on this team after this season and rightfully so

it's pretty funny that you're so bent out of shape over my post earlier that McPhee should be fired on the spot
When I think of someone "sucking" in terms of NHL hockey I generally think that means they arent good at all....I guess the kids today put a different meaning on it.

as for his place on the team going forward, not a fan of it. Hope they "let him walk" after the season for two reasons

-dont think he is solid enough at all ends of the ice to warrant his salary
-will be fun to see people melt down again because he wasnt treaded today

You also confuse being "bent out of shape" with "laughing at the nitwittery, example below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain
he could have returned a 1st + easily....doesn't mean he isn't a very flawed player
Thats good stuff right there....this is a 28 year old player who is on his 4th NHL team. He was traded one year ago today for a 3rd and a useless prospect....but today he is easily worth a 1st+

youre correct (although a bit overstated) about being flawed.....and everyone knows that

Old
02-27-2012, 11:05 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner
You don't think the 5th defenseman in scoring would get us a hefty return?
Hah.
If a top team had an injury that he would fill in for then I could see a decent return....but what team fits that description? and whats a hefty return?

He was one of the top scorers on his team last season when traded and netted a throw away prospect and a third. He has put up points (as he usually does) this season but has been awful at time in his own zone. There is a reason the Caps are his 4th team...and he is only 28.

what would you give up for him? a 1st+?

Old
02-27-2012, 11:09 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy
The anger towards McPhee is about one thing. 14 years of failure and watching a team seemingly on the brink of being a regular and serious contender, suddenly regress with alarming speed
Thats kind of my point....people hate him, trade/no trade. None of it would have been the right move

I do find it interesting that you classify being on the brink of a serious contender as a failure....but I get it....youre either first or last

Old
02-27-2012, 11:10 PM
artilector

McPhee himself said that everybody was a buyer. Just for players that are unlikely to return, we probably could've had, give or take:

Wideman: 1st
Vokoun: 2nd + 3rd
Knuble: 3rd
Hamrlik: 2nd

That's an extra damn draft year, actually more, in terms of value. And the funny thing is, it might not have even had a significant effect on our chances of making the playoffs.

So we threw away a year's worth of draft picks for the probable pleasure of getting our butts kicked in spring.. if we can get there, lol.

What are the odds of the Caps winning the Cup I wonder.. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say 70% chance of making playoffs. Then say 35% chance against a top team in the east, 45% in 2nd round, 40% against in conference finals, and once again 35% against the top western team. This is being extremely generous, I think, and comes out to.. 1.5% of winning the Cup. And without those UFAs this would drop at most to what, 1%?

So this was management's decision: give up more than a draft's worth of picks/prospects for probably less than a half of one percent's additional likelihood of winning the Cup. Awesome!

Closed Thread