HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 6|Penguins vs. Flyers|"Great Moments Are Born From Great Opportunity"

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2012, 12:47 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Game 6|Penguins vs. Flyers|"Great Moments Are Born From Great Opportunity"

April 22nd, 2012|12:00 PM Wells Fargo

Online Viewing Sources
First Row Sports

Game Preview - Coach Speak

Quote:
On the Flyers knowing a comeback from 3-0 can be done and if that can affect them:
The question about playoff experience and having done things in the past and playing games, I think it’s beneficial. But at the same time, every playoff series has been different – completely different. Some of the things you did well one year, we didn’t do well last year or the year before. What we did well in ’09, we experienced in a different way against Tampa Bay and didn’t do well. It’s different every year. The emotions are a big part of the playoffs. They’re big game-to-game and even within a game. Some of the emotions that are in the game and within the game are huge. You might have played 263 playoff games or you might have played 50, but it’s different every year. The emotions from game to game are real hard for teams to deal with. We were on the backside of losing Games 1, 2 and 3. That’s an emotion we’ve dealt with. Now we’re at one game at a time. We win Game 4 and we come in here in a real emotional game for our team, one where we probably aren’t at our best in terms of emotional control and dealing with the building and the situation of the game where we’re fortunate to win Game 5. You can’t look at any other momentum building or any other things other than our one-game focus. Not really worry about where the Flyers are at. We have to have that focus. It’s very important for how we play Game 6.

On if they still have yet to play their best game:
We have done some things at our best for Games 4 and 5. I think we’re still looking for our very best for Game 6. That’s what our focus is. I thought defensively and away from the puck, we did a lot of really good things. Our battle level (was good, too). We did very well, but we’re looking at being at our very best for Game 6 and that one-game focus

Read all of coach-speak here

Projected Lineups

Bylsma's Bag O' Lines - Shake 'em up and see what you get!

Chris Kunitz - Evgeni Malkin - James Neal
Steve Sullivan-Sidney Crosby-Pascal Dupuis
Matt Cooke-Jordan Staal-Tyler Kennedy
Craig Adams-Big Dog Tangradi

Brooks Orpik - Zbynek Michalek
Kris Letang - Brian Strait/Simon Despres
Deryk Engelland - Matt Niskanen

Marc-andre Fleury
Beeeeeej

Philadelphia Flyers

Scott Hartnell-Claude Giroux-Jaromir Jagr
Brayden Schenn-Danny Briere-Wayne Simmonds
James van Riemsdyk-Matt Read- Jakub Voracek
Max Talbot-Sean Couturier-Eric Wellwood

Braydon Coburn - Nick Grossmann/Erik Gustafsson
Pavel Kubina - Kimmo Timonen
Matt Carle - Andreas Lilja

Ilya Bryzgalov
Sergei Bobrovsky

** Note all lines are subject to change **

Cole's Breakdown

1. Defense: I do believe this is the most important part of the Penguins right now. Our defense has to be sharp. First and foremost, we have to be aggressive instead of watching the play go by us. I'd love to see man defense, but I've been saying that for 3 years. I won't hold my breath.

If they don't go to man defense, I at least want to see us clear the puck out as hard as possible every time. I'll take an icing before a turnover. That's the name of the game. That was frustrating Philly because they weren't taking the puck away from us and they had to work 5 on 5.

2. PK: I still do not understand why we are overplaying their powerplay. To me, it is actually simple. Let their points take all the shots they want. As soon as we over committ they utilize their half board guy and they walk in and get a clean shot. When they walk in, we step out to take them and it leaves a guy wide open on the door step. What would you rather do? Would you rather take a shot from the blue line or from the goal line.

Also clear the damn puck when you get a chance. As hard as you possibly can off the glass and out. No mistakes.

3. Goaltending: It's no surprise we need Fleury to be on his game like he was in the 2nd/3rd period of Game 5. He flat out stole the game for us. I am praying he has 120 more minutes of that effort as he did in the 3rd. We desperately need Fleury to be perfect. I know the Flyers will score, but hopefully he limits to a reasonable amount. Please, dear lord, play the way you can Fleury. Bryz is due for a good game.

4. Weathering the storm: I know some disagree, but I think the first period will be all Flyers. They know one hard surge and they have us on the way out of the playoffs. I think the Flyers are going to put all their eggs in one basket early and try to end it. If we can weather the storm and get a cheapy or a lucky bounce, that crowd will turn on their goaltending.

Also, IF Grossman and Timmonen are out of the game - you have to wear the defense down. Puck control and attack.

5. DON'T BE DUMB: 5 on 5 hockey, the Flyers haven't scored in 130+ minutes. Nothing else needs to be said. STAY OUT OF THE DAMN BOX.

Cole's Video Warfare

Believe

I feel like the Pens finally believe, but I know they will have to face adversity again if they can pull it off. We will be down a goal, maybe even 2+. We need to stay composed and believe. I don't want to see Geno or Fleury over playing and trying too hard. If we play our game, we have a chance. We got ourselves into this, but it is the Pens who can make the final decision.

Just believe. One play, one shift, one period at a time. Don't look too far ahead. Shift after shift of smart hockey. Only focus on right now.

LETS GO PENS!!

Last edited by ColePens: 04-22-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old
04-22-2012, 12:52 AM
LIPensFan98

Lets go pens!

Old
Jaded-Fan

Nice GDT. Love the analysis and breakdown of the game, as usual.

Now I am getting really excited. Bring it home boys, bring it home.

Old
Zirakzigil

vCash: 456
Its my birthday, they better win it or I will be pissed!

That said I am confident in them. Ive felt that if we got to game 6 that the momentum should be in our favor. We need to focus on staying out of the box as much as possible and we should be good. That and we have Staal, who is better then Crosby and Malkin.

Old
04-22-2012, 12:55 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Nice GDT. Love the analysis and breakdown of the game, as usual.

Now I am getting really excited. Bring it home boys, bring it home.
I know you disagree about the "weathering the storm" part, but I do think the Flyers come out like they want to end us quickly. I'm hoping something amazing happens and we go to dump a puck in on Bryz and he just lets it in. That Philly crowd will turn so fast on their goalie.

Actually - Lange and the ole 29er had a great debate after Game 4. Lange said "And the Flyer fans are mocking when their goalie makes a save. I guess Pittsburgh would do the same if their goalie let in 10." Philly immediately jumped in and said "Not a chance.. the Penguin fans will not do that to the flower." etc.

It was amazing to hear that back and forth. Next game - the first puck hits the post on Fleury yet the crowd still gets a "Fleury" chant going just to give him some energy.

Old
04-22-2012, 12:55 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirakzigil View Post
Its my birthday, they better win it or I will be pissed!

That said I am confident in them. Ive felt that if we got to game 6 that the momentum should be in our favor. We need to focus on staying out of the box as much as possible and we should be good. That and we have Staal, who is better then Crosby and Malkin.
Happy Bday!

Old
04-22-2012, 01:01 AM
Zirakzigil

vCash: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Happy Bday!
Thanks. 19 years as a Pens fan. Been through the ups and the downs. I have faith in this team!

Old
04-22-2012, 01:02 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
I know you disagree about the "weathering the storm" part, but I do think the Flyers come out like they want to end us quickly. I'm hoping something amazing happens and we go to dump a puck in on Bryz and he just lets it in. That Philly crowd will turn so fast on their goalie.

Actually - Lange and the ole 29er had a great debate after Game 4. Lange said "And the Flyer fans are mocking when their goalie makes a save. I guess Pittsburgh would do the same if their goalie let in 10." Philly immediately jumped in and said "Not a chance.. the Penguin fans will not do that to the flower." etc.

It was amazing to hear that back and forth. Next game - the first puck hits the post on Fleury yet the crowd still gets a "Fleury" chant going just to give him some energy.
I do not disagree with the weathering a storm part. I think that they come out hard, offensively.

What I question is the horses that they have. Grossman took a light skate, but I doubt he is back, or if he is, how effective he will be. Once he went down they looked lost. Added to that is the adjustment that Bylsma made with the extra defenseman, which made a matchup nightmare for the Flyers. I have not seen them with an answer since. Then playing their top three defensemen almost 30 minutes a game, and then having a game a day and a half later. You can come out with all the intensity in the world, but if you are a half dollar short you are a half dollar short. And I see the Flyers as treading water and hoping to luck their way into the next round as they hold that team together with duct tape and chewing gum.

Old
04-22-2012, 01:04 AM
Pancakes

Re, Jaded's post about confidence:

I am confident we can win this game, but I am definitely more worried about game 6 than I was about 4 or 5. I figured we'd win 4 due to pride as well as being due, and I figured we'd win 5 due to having home ice and momentum.

I always figured after our game 4 win that game 6 would be the biggest challenge. Philly and their fans will be desperate to not come back to Pittsburgh. The atmosphere is going to be electric, and things could quickly spiral out of control for either us or them if either side gets up a goal or two early.

My feeling is if we can win this game 6, we'll win the series, but game 6 is gonna be so friggin tough.

Old
04-22-2012, 01:05 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Yeah how about Timo,too? Is he out? I haven't read a thing about his injury. I just remember something about him being limited late in the game.

They only run 3 defenders w/o Grossman. Those 2 being out would be sickening huge for the Pens.

Old
04-22-2012, 01:07 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Yeah how about Timo,too? Is he out? I haven't read a thing about his injury. I just remember something about him being limited late in the game.

They only run 3 defenders w/o Grossman. Those 2 being out would be sickening huge for the Pens.
In the postgame radio broadcast they reported that he left the game, seemingly injured, after Cooke crushed him with like 4 minutes left. Remember when he was *****ing to the ref? That hit. At minimum after that hit, and 30 minutes played, even if in he might be less effective.

It is not like any of their pairings is stopping the Pens anyways. Crosby, Malkin and Staal are all almost att 2 points a game.

Old
04-22-2012, 01:11 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
In the postgame radio broadcast they reported that he left the game, seemingly injured, after Cooke crushed him with like 4 minutes left. Remember when he was *****ing to the ref? That hit. At minimum after that hit, and 30 minutes played, even if in he might be less effective.

It is not like any of their pairings is stopping the Pens anyways. Crosby, Malkin and Staal are all almost att 2 points a game.
Yeah... but at the same time I do not want to rely on Bryz being a ****ing tool out there. I do believe he will get in one of these games and play an awesome 60 minutes. I want to exploit their defense and get by him with good chances as opposed to watching crap stuff go in.

Old
04-22-2012, 01:12 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Yeah... but at the same time I do not want to rely on Bryz being a ****ing tool out there. I do believe he will get in one of these games and play an awesome 60 minutes. I want to exploit their defense and get by him with good chances as opposed to watching crap stuff go in.
Bryz has been mediocre at best, but his defense is at least as to blame if not more. Face it, the Pens defense for all that we have maligned it recently, has just flat out been better than the Flyers defense the past two games. That as much as Bryz not being very good has been a huge factor. I do not see that changing tomorrow.

Old
04-22-2012, 01:14 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

LPG! - this is the winning jam:

Old
04-22-2012, 01:17 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

And..for ole times -

Old
04-22-2012, 01:19 AM
LIPensFan98

Everyones talking about how Wells Fargo will be tomorrow and about the fans yet 11 hours before puck drop there are still tickets available. I find that pretty interesting.

Old
04-22-2012, 01:20 AM
FDBluth

I do not and will never understand the fascination that some people have with stereotypical Asian girls.

Old
04-22-2012, 01:21 AM
LIPensFan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
I do not and will never understand the fascination that some people have with stereotypical Asian girls.
Some are known to provide happy endings and that's what we are hoping for here.

Old
04-22-2012, 01:22 AM
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks

I'm not ready for it to be over. You can do it boys.

Old
04-22-2012, 01:29 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
And..for ole times -

Oh hell yeah, my favorite. She never let me down. And yeah, like I said last game, asian girls being cute gif would win it for us, and she sure did, didn't she? Feeling better and better.

Old
04-22-2012, 01:32 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
I worry about you FD.

Old
04-22-2012, 01:33 AM
Mr. T

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIPensFan98 View Post
Some are known to provide happy endings and that's what we are hoping for here.
That reminds me that I have a massage at noon tomorrow. No OT, please.

Old
04-22-2012, 01:49 AM
Jaded-Fan

By dressing seven defensemen the past two games Penguins coach Dan Bylsma has opened more opportunities for his top three centers. Sidney Crosby, Malkin and Staal are averaging 20:13 each over the past two games.

One of those centers -- second (Staal), third (Crosby) and tied for fourth (Malkin) in playoff scoring before games yesterday -- was essentially on the ice at all times in Games 4 and 5.

Advantage to the Penguins, even Laviolette begrudgingly conceded yesterday.

"Their team presents a lot offensively," he said. "You just worry about Malkin, and it's Staal, you just worry about Crosby, and it's Malkin. They have depth down the middle … and the fact they're dressing 11 forwards, not 12, allows them to double up with some of their key players and get them more ice time and minutes. It makes them more challenging to defend."

It also leaves the Penguins defense, seemingly rattled by a relentless Flyers attack in Games 1-3, fresher as Flyers defensemen exhaust themselves because Laviolette apparently does not trust half of his group to do much of anything.

Three of his six defensemen played fewer than 12 minutes in Game 5, which forced a hearty workload on Timonen (25:01), Matt Carle (29:40) and Braydon Coburn (29:11).

Those high ice times offer a stark contrast to the Penguins, who since going with a seven-defenseman lineup have required only Kris Letang -- average ice time at 24:07 -- to do the heaviest lifting. The other six defensemen have combined to average 15:04 in the past two games.

The Flyers have not scored an even-strength goal since Martin's injury forced Bylsma's seven-defenseman format and the Penguins have surrendered only five goals, compared to 20 in Games 1-3.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_792425.html

Which brings up a very strong point. For all the grief we have given the defense, that was the real difference and adjustment the past two games. They went from 20 goals in three games to 2.5 goals a game the last two. If the Flyers do not find an answer for the Pens' defense, absent some really lucky bounces I just do not see it for them tomorrow.

Last edited by Jaded-Fan: 04-22-2012 at 01:54 AM.
Old
04-22-2012, 01:59 AM
HuskerTornado
Monster Snow Goon

Once again, for superstitious reasons, I'm posting the same vids from game 4 & 5, even though the tonight theme is not relevant for this game. Lucky hat will remain out as well.

Old
04-22-2012, 02:03 AM
Jaded-Fan

Will do the same, a reappearance from game 5 GDT

I have held them back only in case of great need. This game is the series in my book, so it is time to unleash the cute asian girl for luck powers. The last time these were used we got Osama, this need is even greater though.

These have always guarenteed a win.

Closed Thread