HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Americans in the 2013 Draft

Old
03-27-2014, 10:21 PM
Xokkeu

vCash: 500
Americans in the 2013 Draft

I'm curious a year on how prospect watchers here would rank the Americans taken in the first two rounds of the NHL draft. I haven't been able to watch much of the CHL this year so I'm pretty familiar with NCAA players but not those north of the border.

Seth Jones is obviously number one but after that:

Ian McCoshen
Adam Erne
JT Compher
Michael McCarron
Ryan Hartman
Conor Hurley
Steve Santini
Tommy Vanelli
Justin Bailey

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 11:14 PM
BoHorvat

Cole Cassels... doesn't matter that you only asked about the ones taken in round 1-2. He's up there with the rest of those guys for sure.

BoHorvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 11:26 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoHorvat View Post
Cole Cassels... doesn't matter that you only asked about the ones taken in round 1-2. He's up there with the rest of those guys for sure.
Has he declared his intentions yet? He played in the American prospects game, but represented Canada (Ontario) at the WHC-17.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 12:08 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoHorvat View Post
That's fine, if you think a player from round 3 (I really like Cammarata for instance) is better than some of those in round 2, I'm open to hear it. But you kind of just listed one player with no explanation.

Old
03-28-2014, 12:08 AM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
I'm curious a year on how prospect watchers here would rank the Americans taken in the first two rounds of the NHL draft. I haven't been able to watch much of the CHL this year so I'm pretty familiar with NCAA players but not those north of the border.

Seth Jones is obviously number one but after that:

Ian McCoshen
Adam Erne
JT Compher
Michael McCarron
Ryan Hartman
Conor Hurley
Steve Santini
Tommy Vanelli
Justin Bailey
Good list. I would have Hartman above McCarron, and Bailey above Vanelli.

Explanation: McCarron was less than impressive this year, and Bailey had a better year on a very, very, very, bad Kitchener team.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 12:09 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Has he declared his intentions yet? He played in the American prospects game, but represented Canada (Ontario) at the WHC-17.
He seemed pretty bummed not to make the U20 preliminary roster.

Old
03-28-2014, 12:21 AM
Icebreakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
That's fine, if you think a player from round 3 (I really like Cammarata for instance) is better than some of those in round 2, I'm open to hear it. But you kind of just listed one player with no explanation.
Well , he did out produce every player you named at the CHL level. It doesnt mean everything but I would take him over some players on that list for sure...

Icebreakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 02:14 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Ill comment on some of the OHL guys:

McCarron had a very poor year with limited minutes on a strong team. I've posted a few times in his thread about how timid he looked for a big guy, and how poor his puck skills are. His production picked up a bit towards the end of the season, which coincided with a move to centre. Still needs to use his size much more consistently, especially in terms of taking a hit and retaining possession, as well as more of a willingness to battle in front of the net during open play.

Hartman had a plateau year. He was an extremely effective player last year playing a pro-style game in junior; this year he played on a goal-starved team with a lot of players whose sole offensive instinct is jam it along the boards (I feel sorry for any Whalers fans who are also Devils fans), and he wasn't able to step up and generate his own offense. I'd like to see what he can do with some of Chicago's more creative prospects in Rockford.

Bailey also played for a bad team that had trouble scoring (although this was more attributable to the puck always being in their own end). His physical tools are very prominent, he's a good skater who has well-developed strength and is clearly very mature compared to his peers. Unfortunately his hockey skills don't match up, and from my viewings he often looked like he had no idea what to do once he got the puck, or seemed lost in trying to break down a zone read. If his hockey sense develops he could be a hell of a player, but right now he looks like a classic case of all tools no toolbox

In terms of ranking them, I'd go Hartman, McCarron, Bailey

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 03:03 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKQ View Post
Ill comment on some of the OHL guys:

McCarron had a very poor year with limited minutes on a strong team. I've posted a few times in his thread about how timid he looked for a big guy, and how poor his puck skills are. His production picked up a bit towards the end of the season, which coincided with a move to centre. Still needs to use his size much more consistently, especially in terms of taking a hit and retaining possession, as well as more of a willingness to battle in front of the net during open play.

Hartman had a plateau year. He was an extremely effective player last year playing a pro-style game in junior; this year he played on a goal-starved team with a lot of players whose sole offensive instinct is jam it along the boards (I feel sorry for any Whalers fans who are also Devils fans), and he wasn't able to step up and generate his own offense. I'd like to see what he can do with some of Chicago's more creative prospects in Rockford.

Bailey also played for a bad team that had trouble scoring (although this was more attributable to the puck always being in their own end). His physical tools are very prominent, he's a good skater who has well-developed strength and is clearly very mature compared to his peers. Unfortunately his hockey skills don't match up, and from my viewings he often looked like he had no idea what to do once he got the puck, or seemed lost in trying to break down a zone read. If his hockey sense develops he could be a hell of a player, but right now he looks like a classic case of all tools no toolbox

In terms of ranking them, I'd go Hartman, McCarron, Bailey

Thank you

Old
03-28-2014, 03:29 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

As a Ducks fan, Keaton Thompson is an intriguing prospect for me. He was only a 3d round pick but interesting that he was just one day past the mark he was eligible in last years draft. Would he be 1-2 days older, he`d have to go this year.

He had struggles getting into the UND lineup at the start of the season (begining of his NCAA years), but right now he`s playing solid on 3d pairing and getting some points on even strenght. He have a long way to go in order to become something, but he`s a good skater and puckmover with potential to be solid all around defenseman, and he`s still very young.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=108393

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 03:55 AM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

vCash: 120
JT Compher
Adam Erne
Ian McCoshen
Connor Hurley
Ryan Hartman
Michael McCarron
Justin Bailey
Steve Santini
Tommy Vanelli

HM: Hudson Fasching (4th round, 118th overall)

03-28-2014, 08:48 AM
Eugfest

What about Zach Sanford? Taken with the last pick in the 2nd round. Having a decent year in USHL. Anyone happen to watch this kid play?

Eugfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 09:43 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 1832
If we're willing to go into the early 3rd I'd say Brett Pesce has had a very solid back half to the season at UNH following his being one of the last cut by the US-U20s. Definitely has shown more then Hurley or McCarron at this point IMO.

I honestly haven't liked anything I've seen from McCarron this year. Very disappointing sadly. Hurley on the other hand has just been a weird guy. With Muskeegon he wasn't doing much of anything but with Green Bay he's been alright. Not dominating by any stretch either place but playing a fairly respectable game IMO.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 10:17 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Adam Erne I think is going to have a good career. Hartman and Mccarron as well.