HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Auston Matthews vs Patrik Laine - Round IV

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2016, 11:35 AM
TLeafsFan
A True BeLeafer

vCash: 500
Auston Matthews vs Patrik Laine - Round IV

Link to the last thread: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=2073401

I wonder how many points Matthews can put up against Belarus today vs. Laine?

Old
05-07-2016, 11:40 AM
agent082

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLeafsFan View Post
Link to the last thread: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=2073401

I wonder how many points Matthews can put up against Belarus today vs. Laine?
My prediction is 1,4g 1,3a.

Old
05-07-2016, 11:43 AM
Snaibberi

Which one is better? Honestly i dont give a @#!%. Which one is taken number 1 in draft? Who cares... If Laine is taken number 10 i dont give a rats ass. He is going to be a great player and Finland gets new Selänne.

But lets not fool our selfs... Lets change nationalities. Mathews is Finnish and Laine is Canadien. Which one would be consensus number 1? Yes... Being a center doesnt matter anymore

Old
05-07-2016, 11:43 AM
Mahonkinen

Matthews hasnt play against KHL stacked team before. Intresting to see how he fairs. Unfortenetly im workin whole evening so cant watch the game, so ill just rely on these completely unbiased opinions here.

Old
05-07-2016, 11:49 AM
Krazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaibberi View Post
Which one is better? Honestly i dont give a @#!%. Which one is taken number 1 in draft? Who cares... If Laine is taken number 10 i dont give a rats ass. He is going to be a great player and Finland gets new Selänne.

But lets not fool our selfs... Lets change nationalities. Mathews is Finnish and Laine is Canadien. Which one would be consensus number 1? Yes... Being a center doesnt matter anymore
Matthews is american.

Old
05-07-2016, 11:57 AM
Territory

Laine will out score Matthews this tournament by virtue of the team he plays on. Finland is really good and USA is not so good. Laine is playing with Barkiv and Jokinen and Matthews is playing with... Maroon...

Old
05-07-2016, 12:00 PM
X66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Territory View Post
Laine will out score Matthews this tournament by virtue of the team he plays on. Finland is really good and USA is not so good. Laine is playing with Barkiv and Jokinen and Matthews is playing with... Maroon...
Yup, but in the long run it really doesn't matter imo.

If your scouts need a 10 game tournament to make a decision between the two players at this stage of the game(and this high in the draft) , you need some new scouts.

Old
05-07-2016, 12:00 PM
Hapiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahonkinen View Post
Matthews hasnt play against KHL stacked team before. Intresting to see how he fairs. Unfortenetly im workin whole evening so cant watch the game, so ill just rely on these completely unbiased opinions here.
He did fine against NHL stacked Canada. I dont get the hate between Laine and Matthews fans, cant we just root for bouth? Does it even matter who gets picked first...

Old
05-07-2016, 12:01 PM
Captain Timo

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaibberi View Post

...Matthews is American... I would still take him, even though I love Laine. Nationality means nothing to me other than bonus bragging rights if we ever actually assembled a good, possibly cup winning team.

Old
05-07-2016, 12:06 PM
BB88

I'm reading through that last thread and it's getting worse and worse, I was hoping we could be few days off without a new vs thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugzy97 View Post
You want my opinion? Laine is a one trick pony and Matthews is a full toolbox

Why are you commenting on Laine if you don't even know what type of player he is?

Old
05-07-2016, 12:08 PM
Mahonkinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapiii View Post
He did fine against NHL stacked Canada. I dont get the hate between Laine and Matthews fans, cant we just root for bouth? Does it even matter who gets picked first...
I dont hate Matthews lol. I ment it both way.

Old
05-07-2016, 12:10 PM
pikkuvaimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapiii View Post
Yes. I was thinking same thing. Why does it have to be so hard thing to someones. Both of them are excellent players, and are projected to be franchise players. Who cares which one goes number one? It is obvious Toronto is going to pick AM, but that does not make Laine worse player. In my eyes they are par.

Last edited by pikkuvaimo: 05-07-2016 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Typo
Old
05-07-2016, 12:15 PM
IFK

Quote:
Yes, now Laine have skilled line mates WHC, not so much in FEL where he has just reagular level players with average playmaking skills. Matthews have best line mates in NLA which is not as close that compete league than FEL and now Matthews not have the best line mates WHC, but just regular level players.

Old
05-07-2016, 12:21 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch
Franchise Centre

Matthews' linemate Maroon in the Canada game already scratched for this game. Goes to show quality of linemates he's playing with, certainly no where near Barkov and Jokinen. US as a whole is using this tourney as development for the younger guys, while the Finns are one of the favourites.

So certainly you need context if we're comparing performances at this WC.

EDIT: Looks like he's dropped down a line instead, but still.

Last edited by TheLeastOfTheBunch: 05-07-2016 at 12:26 PM.
Old
05-07-2016, 12:21 PM
QnebO

Quote:
Will he do it in the jets also if theyre better than leafs then? I get your point but its not always everything

Old
05-07-2016, 12:27 PM
QnebO

Matthews looked pretty good on PP. Fast hands, pass first mentality there

Old
05-07-2016, 12:27 PM
The Winter Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Matthews' linemate Maroon in the Canada game already scratched for this game. Goes to show quality of linemates he's playing with, certainly no where near Barkov and Jokinen. US as a whole is using this tourney as development for the younger guys, while the Finns are one of the favourites.

Maroon is on the PP. Almost scored.

Old
05-07-2016, 12:29 PM
QnebO

Laine making this top 6 also tells about how good he is. This is always best possible roster serious tourney for Finland

Old
05-07-2016, 12:31 PM
BB88

Quote:

How many are taking into account that Matthews played with 1st liners in the NLA throughout the whole year and Laine played zero games on the 1st line in regular season?
Laine has performed no matter who he has played with, even though he gets comments like he's a winger that needs someone to carry him, he's one dimensional and so on.

Old
05-07-2016, 12:32 PM
Liminality

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
Will he do it in the jets also if theyre better than leafs then? I get your point but its not always everything
I think most people were predicting Laine would outscore Matthews if he was put on Winnipegs top 6 next year. Thought there was a obscure poll somewhere doing that.
Think Matthews stabilizes the Leafs top 6 just a bit more but they're still going to be a very, very young team that makes mistakes and has to learn more.

Old
05-07-2016, 12:33 PM
agent082

Quote:

Only way Belarus wins this is PP, so I think Maroon was dropped down the lines because of penalties yesterday.

Old
05-07-2016, 12:39 PM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent082 View Post
Only way Belarus wins this is PP, so I think Maroon was dropped down the lines because of penalties yesterday.
I think i just saw him on ice

Edit yes he is on Power play

Old
05-07-2016, 12:44 PM
WillTheThrill

Assist for matthews

Old
05-07-2016, 12:44 PM
QnebO

Matthews with assist. Nothing special but always good to get on paper. Good job

Old
05-07-2016, 12:45 PM
The Winter Soldier

Matthews gets an assist on Wideman goal as PP expires. Maroon provided the screen as the Goalie never saw it, I guess this is why it is wise to leave the coaching up to the professionals.

Closed Thread