HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW Artturi Lehkonen - KalPa, SM-Liiga (2013, 55th overall, Montreal)

Old
02-16-2013, 01:37 PM
Leinomania

vCash: 500
The hit was just awfully, awfully late. If not for that, it would've been clean. And Lehkonen was caught admiring his own pass to a teammate and was not looking forward or expecting to be hit. Even when he had the puck he was in a fairly awkward position. Maybe more reason for Ruutu to skip his hit.

Yeah, another idiotic Ruutu moment and another pointless game misconduct when the game was 3-0 for Jokerit and only about 10 minutes remaining in the 3rd period.

Leinomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Tuomaz

2nd concussion this season? That's going to hurt his draft position...

Tuomaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:57 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 872
That was brutally late.

And as Tuomaz said, this will probably hurt his draft status. He's been on 2nd round on some lists, iirc and probably ends up there.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 07:07 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
If the concussion makes him slide, someone's getting a major steal. I absolutely love this kid, would kill to grab him in the 2nd round.

Hope Artturi's okay, I hate seeing plays like this.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 08:43 PM
Christmas Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

Would love to get him in the draft. Probably be drafting defense or centres around his spot in the draft though

Christmas Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:41 AM
LoveHateLeafs

Is there any timeline on his return, or is Lehkonen done for the season?

LoveHateLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:03 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
I was hoping Pittsburgh would draft Lehkonen. If he has a concussion I reckon he'll drop down a fair bit.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:05 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
If the concussion makes him slide, someone's getting a major steal. I absolutely love this kid, would kill to grab him in the 2nd round.

Hope Artturi's okay, I hate seeing plays like this.
It wasn't that bad hit. Lehkonen is just dwarf. If he can't handle hits like that he's going to get killed in NHL.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:16 AM
Jack DiBiase
Team Iceland Coach

I would be shocked, if he gets drafted in the first 3 rounds. He is very skilled, no doubt about that, but he has all the traits that will derail a potential NHL career. He is short, very weak natural physique, fragile, not very fast. With that being said, his skills and hockey sense will make him a star player in Europe and AHL level, but I really doubt he manages to create a successful NHL career. I'd be happy eat my words though.

Jack DiBiase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Fallenity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack DiBiase View Post
I would be shocked, if he gets drafted in the first 3 rounds. He is very skilled, no doubt about that, but he has all the traits that will derail a potential NHL career. He is short, very weak natural physique, fragile, not very fast. With that being said, his skills and hockey sense will make him a star player in Europe and AHL level, but I really doubt he manages to create a successful NHL career. I'd be happy eat my words though.
Sounds a lot like Granlund. What is it with small, smart Finnish players?

Fallenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:59 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallenity View Post
Sounds a lot like Granlund. What is it with small, smart Finnish players?
Granlund was on the different level on the physical side. I think that Lehkonen is faster on the skates. Lehkonen is still a 17 year old and likely top 60 player in this draft. Teuvo Teräväinen is for example as tall and weak and Lehkonen has looked better than Teuvo looked in his draft year. Teuvo was clear cut 1st rounder and was in the top 10 talks. This year is an deeper draft and the injuries can drop him out of the 1st round. His talent and upside are too much to pass in the 2nd round especially at the bottom part of that round.

thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:18 AM
CPFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Teuvo Teräväinen is for example as tall and weak and Lehkonen has looked better than Teuvo looked in his draft year. Teuvo was clear cut 1st rounder and was in the top 10 talks. This year is an deeper draft and the injuries can drop him out of the 1st round.
TT is clearly the better skater from these two. I've never actually seen him getting destroyed on the ice, as he has a very agile and fluid skating style, which keeps him out of trouble pretty effectively.

I'm doubtful whether Teräväinen can make it in the NHL, but I do think that his chances are a lot better than Lehkonen's. Skating is a defining attribute with these small prospects, so it's pretty understandable that TT got taken in the first round.

CPFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:31 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCZ View Post
TT is clearly the better skater from these two. I've never actually seen him getting destroyed on the ice, as he has a very agile and fluid skating style, which keeps him out of trouble pretty effectively.

I'm doubtful whether Teräväinen can make it in the NHL, but I do think that his chances are a lot better than Lehkonen's. Skating is a defining attribute with these small prospects, so it's pretty understandable that TT got taken in the first round.
I wouldn't call TT as much better skater than Lehkonen. There is not much difference speed wise but you're right that TT is very agile and fluid skater. Other thing is that Lehkonen is better two-way player of the two and stronger in puck battles. I would describe Lehkonens game as "sisu". I think that he is fearless and hard worker. But it have been the reason of the concussions. He need to find the way where he doesen't put himself in dangerous situations. I would call them pretty even prospects but TT over Lehkonen because of injury history and i believe that TT has highest potential offensively than any other finnish prospect. TT has homerun potential. But his bust rate isn't the lowest.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:22 PM
Gaps

Quote:
I wouldn't call TT as much better skater than Lehkonen. There is not much difference speed wise but you're right that TT is very agile and fluid skater. Other thing is that Lehkonen is better two-way player of the two and stronger in puck battles. I would describe Lehkonens game as "sisu". I think that he is fearless and hard worker. But it have been the reason of the concussions. He need to find the way where he doesen't put himself in dangerous situations. I would call them pretty even prospects but TT over Lehkonen because of injury history and i believe that TT has highest potential offensively than any other finnish prospect. TT has homerun potential. But his bust rate isn't the lowest.
I agree with most of what you said. I'd describe TT as 'slippery', he's a fine skater and doesn't get crushed on a regular basis. Lehkonen is maybe a little too fearless considering his lack of size and strength for now. I like his style, though. The fearlessness is a great thing, but he needs to bulk up and get a little smarter. Lehkonen's hockey IQ is fine, but he's a bit reckless. He's a hard competitor, but he needs to understand his own limitations and try to adjust his play accordingly.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:37 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

He got his first points in the playoffs today

2+1 in 13.32 playing time

vsk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 10:20 AM
thomast

His height seems to be around 5'11.5 today. Could end up as 6'0+ very well. Could be steal at 2nd round.

Old
06-17-2013, 11:40 AM
Akipa
HFB Partner

Definitely could be a great grab for a team in the later first round. Has plenty of potential as he has demonstrated at the International level. Top shelf Prospects has him ranked as the number 30 prospect in this draft.

Full scouting report: http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/05/...er-profile-30/

Akipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 02:26 PM
agent082

Quote:
His height seems to be around 5'11.5 today. Could end up as 6'0+ very well. Could be steal at 2nd round.
Good to hear. He somehow looks so small on ice. I would have quessed he is 5'10.

agent082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 01:08 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Pumped he's a Hab! Great value at 55, just gotta hope he can avoid another concussion.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 05:04 AM
agent082

I hope he don't play against Ruutu next season. I think concussions made him drop in the draft, because his height isn't an issue anymore and his skill is easily top 30 in this draft.

agent082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 08:14 AM
fr9dd9

prospect camp

Anyone who knows how he did at prospects camp?

fr9dd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 09:40 AM
Physical Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr9dd9 View Post
Anyone who knows how he did at prospects camp?
Hand injury. He didn't participate in on ice drills and scrimmages.

Physical Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 02:20 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Lehkonen has been ripping it up in the Lake Placid tournament. 5 goals in 5 games. Playing with Teravainen helps, but you still have to put it in the net.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 02:34 PM
Erikfromfin

just as reminder for non knowers Craig Button had Lehkonen ranked 16th in 2013 draft at february. He was on craigs list 18th still on april and in his final June ranking he was at 23.. and went 55 overall. He was great in finnish sm league this year but was hammered and got concussion from dirty Jarkko Ruutu plays. he was dissapointing in u20 world championships in sochi like most of finland and ended up in relegation round. he did have great chemistry with barkov and teräväinen already in u20 and has now continued with teuvo to this lake placid evaluation camp. Lehkonen was great in u18 world champs in the spring and i thought was one of the best players in the tournament and i was amazed that he didnt jump in most peoples list into first round at all. For example Juuse saros played well in u18 and he got a lot of recognition but not Lehkonen for reason or another. Just like most small skilled european forwards is hard to say if theyll even ever play in nhl or become the next zetterbergs. u just dont know

Erikfromfin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 03:00 PM
iane
turtleneck

I was very surprised he was still available at 55, 30pts in 45 games in SM-liiga at 17 is pretty amazing.

iane is offline   Reply With Quote