HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XI

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2012, 04:01 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Under impression from "sharks firesale" thread... What do you guys think about Douglas Murray? Guy that was going at it with Ovechkin every time they met... I think he'd be a nice fit with Orlov.
Hamrlik - Green
Alzner - Carlson
Murray - Orlov
And I think his price is far from high... One year left, cap-friendly Schultz-like 2.5M.
I like Douglas Murray. And I'd be tempted to put Murray with Green and Hamrlik with Orlov. That way there is a chance someone will get laid out with either D pair on the ice. And Hamrlik could take Orlov under his wing again.

But none of that will happen. LOL I get the distinct impression the coaches want Orlov to be a LD even though Orlov likes RD for offensive purposes and doesn't seem to care one way or the other.

Old
04-28-2012, 08:06 AM
fsnoles98

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
the caps dont agree with your pov on green. i doubt hamrlik's speed is an issue for them either. he was slow when they signed him. he was signed to play with green and my all accounts green/hamrlik has been very strong,

erskine stays as a 7. orlov probably takes wideman's slot. that leaves schultz. i see mcphee moving him if he can and finding a short timer veteran for the 3rd pair with orlov.

changing out 4 of 6 defense isnt going to happen.
So your take is the defense will be NO better then it has been the last several years??? Awesome.

Why not giving playing time to Marshall, Kundratek or McNeil to see what they have to offer? Rather go with an excuse that were playing Ahl'ers then, then to go with the notion of the same exact defense that is sometimes quite awful and very slow.

Old
04-28-2012, 09:55 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
I like Douglas Murray. And I'd be tempted to put Murray with Green and Hamrlik with Orlov. That way there is a chance someone will get laid out with either D pair on the ice. And Hamrlik could take Orlov under his wing again.
Eh, Hamrlik is a more reliable defenseman. I don't think Murray would really make Green more effective.

Why do you think the staff wants Orlov at LD? We haven't really seen it all that much but the times he's been burned wide have all been him defending the left side.

Marshall & McNeill IMO will never see time with the Caps. Kundratek or Schilling are likely the top Hershey options but more than likely call-up depth next season. Orlov will need a veteran partner. If they get that and subtract Schultz it's hard to say they'd not be better.

Old
04-28-2012, 10:06 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Eh, Hamrlik is a more reliable defenseman. I don't think Murray would really make Green more effective.

Why do you think the staff wants Orlov at LD? We haven't really seen it all that much but the times he's been burned wide have all been him defending the left side.

Marshall & McNeill IMO will never see time with the Caps. Kundratek or Schilling are likely the top Hershey options but more than likely call-up depth next season. Orlov will need a veteran partner. If they get that and subtract Schultz it's hard to say they'd not be better.
Assuming we're not going to make a big free agent splash, I'm with ref9. Send the goods to Columbus for Tyutin. Tyutin/Orlov would be a rocking pairing.

Hammer-Green
Alzner-Carlson
Orlov-Tyutin
Erskine

That's a slight bump up from meh if you think Mike Green is still an all star. And it's fairly ****** if you think he's less Shea Weber and more Rob Scuderi these days.

Old
04-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Langway
Intangibles

If you get Tyutin then he swaps with Hamrlik but that seems like overkill considering what it would take to get Tyutin. Allen or Salvador fit 3LD just as well via UFA.

Old
04-28-2012, 12:35 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Don't like Tyutin's contract. Plenty of D options on FA market.
Oduya? Roszival? Colaiacovo? Clark? Zanon? Sulzer? Stoner? Bouillon?

Old
04-28-2012, 01:51 PM
BPMrules

Quote:
Don't like Tyutin's contract. Plenty of D options on FA market.
Oduya? Roszival? Colaiacovo? Clark? Zanon? Sulzer? Stoner? Bouillon?
Oduya- Didn't want to come here when we drafted him, and I don't think he's worth what he thinks he deserves. I'd rather have Erskine in over him.

Roszival- We already have Hamrlik...

Colaiacovo- If Green leaves, I'd see this as a decent cheap replacement.

Clark- Love his physicality, but again, I'd rather have Erskine as a 7D.

Zanon- Really? No thanks. After watching him get abused for 7 games, he's just JFS with a different name on his jersey.

Sulzer- Haven't seen him play enough to justify it either way.

Stoner- He's a big kid, and willing to throw the body around, but I feel like Erskine is better defensively, so nah brah.

Boullion- Was never that impressed with him, but he has a good skillset. Aggressive and decent defensively. Kind of a younger Hamrlik w/ less offense.

Basically out of this, Colaiacovo would be the only one of these I'd take a run at to replace Wideman or Green.

Old
04-28-2012, 01:59 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

I was talking about 3LW with Orlov replacing Wideman. So basically replacement for Schultz.
Thanks for the insight.

Old
04-28-2012, 04:15 PM
BPMrules

Quote:
I was talking about 3LW with Orlov replacing Wideman. So basically replacement for Schultz.
Thanks for the insight.
Ahh, my fault, just throwing my 2 cents in.
I'll take a bag of used Mites equipment over Schultz.

Old
04-29-2012, 05:21 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Now when Nashville is having troubles with PHO and Washington has won against SC champs maybe we will have better chance to get Suter? =)

From all my tourism experience I can say that DC is a lovely area to live in, probably. Absolutely loved it. Maybe a bit boring I don't know, was there shortly (6 days only).

Wideman need to go. It's clear. And McPhee has a good excuse to give Hunter about it: "We didn't have enough cap space blablabla".

If we can't get Suter then I'd try Tyutin, then some "cheap" veteran to play with Orlov.

Would entertain Jackman idea.

Suter/Tyutin/Jackman-Green
Carlzner
Hamrlik-Orlov

or smth

PS: Schultz, rights for MP ++ for Tyutin! =)

Old
04-29-2012, 05:42 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
So your take is the defense will be NO better then it has been the last several years??? Awesome.

Why not giving playing time to Marshall, Kundratek or McNeil to see what they have to offer? Rather go with an excuse that were playing Ahl'ers then, then to go with the notion of the same exact defense that is sometimes quite awful and very slow.
ok. if thats the way you want to look at it. its not the way i think mcphee looks at it. the playoff carlson and alzner appear to once again be at least as good as last season's carlson and alzner who were great. this regular season's version of carlson was hideous. so they are already better than this season. i suspect that pair will continue to grow into full fledged elite.

green may finally be healthy and hamrlik comfortable. thats better than what the caps have had at that pair in a long time. so, yea....better.

orlov will establish into a quality and developing young highlight play capable defenseman next year and continue to grown....better. wideman and/or schultz may leave and be replaced by a solid player.

you must not agree with much of that as that looks better at all three pairs.

Old
05-01-2012, 08:03 AM

So with Kuzya staying for 2 years .... Semin @ 5.5M for 2-3 years?

Old
05-01-2012, 08:07 AM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Kuznetsov will never be a Cap.

He'll go straight to UFA if he does come here, and he'll get the $.

So.. rearrange Semin with that info.

Old
05-01-2012, 08:17 AM
txpd

i think much of this speculation about next season's roster is becoming increasingly hard to predict.

i think you can make a case that if caps win another series and dale hunter signs on for another season as coach, that it could well be that the young guns are history and a new era is coming in.

i think its very touch and go going in either direction.

Old
05-01-2012, 08:45 AM
fsnoles98

All I know is our defense is pathetically slow and that needs to change.

Old
05-01-2012, 09:00 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
All I know is our defense is pathetically slow and that needs to change.
you mean defense corp? other than schultz and hamrlik who else is slow? carlson, green, alzner and wideman all skate well and then there's orlov. as d core goes, they are more mobile than most.

iirc you would purge the d core. keep alzner and carlson(perhaps) and orlov and bring in 4 or more new. yes?

Old
05-01-2012, 09:55 AM
NeilYoung

Well hopefully Semin still doesn't feel the need for long term contracts

Old
05-01-2012, 09:56 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

So if the D would be faster and allow more goals that would be better?

Maybe it's just me but I tend to judge D by their productivity. Most every stat (plus/minus, blocked shots, points relative to rest of team, GA/GF ratio, Corsi, etc, etc) for Hamrlik points to him being an asset. Dmitry Orlov complimenting him and flat out saying he was his favorite to play aside is another intangible.

Hamrlik has not been on ice for that many GA throughout the playoffs. And two goals he has been on ice for were courtesy of blown calls, one an interference and one an offsides.

Wideman is faster than Hamrlik but when it comes to D I'll take Hamr and I'd rather Hamr teaching someone like Orlov than Wideman.

I agree a D as a unit could have too many slow pokes and two would be my limit if they are contributing. Hamrlik has been contributing while Schultz runs warm and cold.

Old
05-01-2012, 10:01 AM
NeilYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
you mean defense corp? other than schultz and hamrlik who else is slow? carlson, green, alzner and wideman all skate well and then there's orlov. as d core goes, they are more mobile than most.

iirc you would purge the d core. keep alzner and carlson(perhaps) and orlov and bring in 4 or more new. yes?
Widemans foot speed has been declining dramatically, Green doesn't have the same jump either

So Carlson and Alzner are basically the only ones with even a little bit above average foot speed. Straight line Alzners not a burner but laterally he's definitely elite

Old
05-01-2012, 10:38 AM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilYoung View Post
Widemans foot speed has been declining dramatically, Green doesn't have the same jump either

So Carlson and Alzner are basically the only ones with even a little bit above average foot speed. Straight line Alzners not a burner but laterally he's definitely elite
Alzner is absolutely not elite. You are claiming that Mike Green's speed is now average? Seriously? I'd love to see him race Carlson.

Old
05-01-2012, 10:39 AM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
I can't edit, but I mis-read the part about Alzner, sorry.

Old
05-01-2012, 10:42 AM
NeilYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Alzner is absolutely not elite. You are claiming that Mike Green's speed is now average? Seriously? I'd love to see him race Carlson.
Alzner laterally is definitely elite, straight line definitely not

Mike Green first couple steps aren't anywhere where it used to be, long distance Green would win. Short distance Carlson would win his first steps are better now sadly

Old
05-01-2012, 10:47 AM
txpd

i saw green chasing krieder who was leaving hamrlik in the dust. i am sure green's speed has been effected by the surgery but he is clearly well above average in pure speed and to lump him in with slow is dumb.

Old
05-01-2012, 01:26 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Kuznetsov will never be a Cap.

He'll go straight to UFA if he does come here, and he'll get the $.

So.. rearrange Semin with that info.
Due to the lack of transfer agreement between the KHL and the NHL, drafted player can't "go straight to UFA" - his rights are held indefinitely. A lot of examples, i.e. Yunkov for the Caps.

Old
05-01-2012, 02:35 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilYoung View Post
Green had major abdominal surgery all of three months ago. I would think the recovery time for such a procedure is greater than three months. Also think that the issues with self-confidence that we complained about John Carlson during the regular season, have now left him and taken up residence with Green. Green needs to pot 1 or 2 goals during this series in order to find his mojo.

Closed Thread