HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XI

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2012, 04:40 PM
Carlzner
Game of Tanks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Based on....?
Common sense?

Old
05-14-2012, 04:41 PM
Capitlols
Blow it up

Quote:
And this relates to Semin how?
Never specifically related it to Semin, but according to the agent he was misled kind of like it was reported the same for Belanger and Sjogren. Management is clueless.

Old
05-14-2012, 04:41 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Being indecisive about core players (or seemingly core players) is bad asset management.

While they can always spend his cap money elsewhere it is an increasingly thinning UFA market.
Being indecisive on a complete wild-card player is fine asset management.

There are other failures that point to some sort of dysfunction in management. This is not one of them.

Old
05-14-2012, 04:42 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Common sense?
Please, explain why it's common sense.

Old
05-14-2012, 04:43 PM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
There's a ton of room under the Cap to improve on Semin.

This could be a huge blessing for the organization. Get Ovie away from Semin without it looking like it was your decision.
Yes as much as I'd like Sasha back on the Caps, the fact he isn't signed long term is a very good thing for the Caps. OV and Nicky signed to big term contracts is enough. Moves on the offensive side of the roster should be geared to complinenting those 2 players and those 2 only.

Old
05-14-2012, 04:43 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Never specifically related it to Semin, but according to the agent he was misled kind of like it was reported the same for Belanger and Sjogren. Management is clueless.
Pro tip: Never, ever take anything Mark Gandler says at face value. He's as trustworthy a person as Scott Boras and Drew Rosenhaus.

Old
05-14-2012, 04:44 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

I don't care if he stays or goes re: whether or not it was mishandled. He's been mishandled while he was here. Tremendously.

05-14-2012, 04:45 PM
WetHog

Quote:
Get Ovie away from Semin without it looking like it was your decision.
I glossed over this sentence when I quoted you previously, but this is very significant. Best way to split the two BFF's without OV heart feeling betrayed.

Old
Langway
Floatvechkin

Quote:
Being indecisive on a complete wild-card player is fine asset management.

There are other failures that point to some sort of dysfunction in management. This is not one of them.
It's an unnecessary long-running distraction that amounted to the incoherent building of secondary scoring.

Now that convenient crutch is gone but the incoherence probably isn't.

Last edited by Langway: 05-14-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old
WetHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
I don't care if he stays or goes re: whether or not it was mishandled. He's been mishandled while he was here. Tremendously.
I don't disagree with you, but who could handle Sasha the way he should be handled?

Old
05-14-2012, 04:46 PM
Capitlols
Blow it up

Quote:
Pro tip: Never, ever take anything Mark Gandler says at face value. He's as trustworthy a person as Scott Boras and Drew Rosenhaus.
I get that agents are inclined to say and do what's best for their clients, but players themselves(Bradley, Steckel, Morrison, etc.) haven't had fond things to say about this organization.

You aren't seeing a concerning lack of direction and poor personnel/coaching decisions?

Old
05-14-2012, 04:47 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

If we'd have gotten the guy a center, I think you would have seen a very different player.

Old
05-14-2012, 04:47 PM
WetHog

Holtby is being interviewed on 980 right now.

Old
05-14-2012, 04:48 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
I get that agents are inclined to say and do what's best for their clients, but players themselves(Bradley, Steckel, Morrison, etc.) haven't had fond things to say about this organization.

You aren't seeing a concerning lack of direction and poor personnel/coaching decisions?
I must have missed something on Bradley, Steckel, and Morrisonn. I never saw bad things said about the organization. About Semin, yes.

Sure I am, but the recent decisions regarding Semin don't fall in that category.

Old
05-14-2012, 04:48 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
If we'd have gotten the guy a center, I think you would have seen a very different player.
And, that's precisely why you don't pay him $5M+.

Old
05-14-2012, 04:50 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
And, that's precisely why you don't pay him $5M+.
I don't even remotely agree with you. Plenty of guys making more than that who have less talent and who've done less with it.

Old
05-14-2012, 04:51 PM
WetHog

Quote:

I obviously missed the negative comments made about the organization made by Bradley, Steckel, and Morrison. Link to any of these? I am very interested to read exactly what they said.

Old
05-14-2012, 04:51 PM
Carlzner
Game of Tanks

Quote:
Please, explain why it's common sense.
Why would he sign anywhere else? If you say $, Minnesota has plenty of capspace.

Old
05-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Raikkonen
We like our tank

It seems Gandler isn't ready to say "Semin is 50pts player and 4pts playoff scorer". Not yet.

Old
05-14-2012, 04:52 PM
BiPolar Caps
Failure is an option

Yeah I know I'm leading with my chin on this one, but I'm kind of getting tired of Russian hockey players. It seems like its been a common theme with them of late "me first, team second if at all". I know I shouldn't paint them all with such a broad brush but let's just look at some of them over these last few weeks.
- Alexander Radulov and Andrei Kostitsyn, Nashville Predators. Breaking team rules during the playoffs. No excuse.
- Kuznetsov: I have no problem that you want to stay home but the crap/comment about well if you make a mistake you get sat was weak.
- Semin has always been our glass menagerie, so fragile both in mind and in spirit. The only regret is that we don't resign him so that we could trade him to the Ducks for Bobby Ryan.

At this juncture I'd be happy to see the likes of Ovie, Semin, MAJO and even Orlov and Kuznetsov get shipped out to Annaheim and BB and the Caps in return get the likes of Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, Fowler and Beauchemin

Old
05-14-2012, 04:53 PM
WetHog

Quote:
I don't even remotely agree with you. Plenty of guys making more than that who have less talent and who've done less with it.
Is there a center/wing combination out there that can be added for Sasha's salary slot that would be worth a damn on the 2nd line? Would be nice to add 2 players for Sasha's salary and use additional cap room on adding defense to compliment Alzner/Carlson.

Old
05-14-2012, 04:54 PM
WetHog

Holtby was just asked on 980 if he expected to spending any more time in Hershey next season and the poor kid did his best to avoid giving an answer. He did say he had a place in DC now, but he isn't getting comfortable just yet.

Old
05-14-2012, 04:54 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
I don't disagree with you, but who could handle Sasha the way he should be handled?
It doesn't matter IMO if Semin is good or bad or whatever. If they're losing him for nothing, that's on GM. Giving a player a 1 year deal for him to get to UFA was retarded. If you can't make up your mind on or convince a valuable player to that extent, you HAVE to trade him.

It's all about "whaaaaa, but we need player X for another playoff run, nothing else matters!". Shortsighted bullcrap.

Old
05-14-2012, 04:55 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Semin's ice time under hunter was yeah bad so is a bit skewed. I remember Bruce having Semin PK the first couple of months a couple of seasons ago and thought he looked great. Thought it also improved is even str play also so never understand why they went away from this. I know BB's reasoning was to be able to throw out the top offensive players after a PK but this breaks down when it comes to Hunter's force line matching no matter what.

Keyboard GM-wise yeah probably would lean to re-signing Semin. But likely reality it is just time for a change of scenery and I could see him thriving under a different team. Detroit always comes to mind. No free agent replacement barring Parise but they'll be a bunch of teams (along with Suter) jacking up the price.

Would be nice to re-tool this off seasons and get a little more speed in the lineup. Knuble's replacement would be one and even Halpern's. Ward is here to stay and still think he would have a better regular season if his other line mates were quicker. Still not sure why he didn't show much of the board/puck possession will he had in the playoffs versus the regular season.

05-14-2012, 04:55 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Why would he sign anywhere else? If you say $, Minnesota has plenty of capspace.
For a number of reasons. He might want a bigger city or more competitive team than there is in Minnesota. He might want more money than New Jersey is willing to give him. He might have other non-hockey concerns that lead him to sign somewhere else. Who knows?

The point is, unless there's some kind of legitimate sourcing for that speculation, it's not 'looking like' he'll sign anywhere in particular. Everything is just pure speculation right now.

Closed Thread