HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XI

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2012, 09:50 AM
Millhaus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
Different franchises. No one wants to play in Edmonton, it minus turdy two. They had to overpay. We aren't a dead fish in the water franchise, players will want to play here.
And Grabovski got 5 years at $5.5 mil per from the center of the hockey universe why exactly?

The idea that the Caps are some great franchise that players are clamoring to play for, especially after the last couple years, amuses me...

Old
05-15-2012, 09:55 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Different franchises. No one wants to play in Edmonton, it minus turdy two. They had to overpay. We aren't a dead fish in the water franchise, players will want to play here.
Sure different franchises, but it established the market floor for Semin.

Old
05-15-2012, 09:57 AM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian23 View Post
I think he used the wrong word. I think he was attempting to hint towards a Division, not jealousy.

Say like...Laich looks at Ovi for not making plays or keeping them in the game and that radiating out to the possible mini-factions on the team. If Ovi and Semin don't go out there and score, suddenly the grinders like Laich and Hendricks have to go and grind out the game.
I don't think this particular scenario is plausible. After all, Brooks Laich views himself as a skill player ( ).

Old
05-15-2012, 10:05 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
The idea that the Caps are some great franchise that players are clamoring to play for, especially after the last couple years, amuses me...
Yea, it must be rough going to a team that is one year removed from back-to-back #1 seeds who averaged 50+ wins in three seasons in a row previous to this one.

Oh yea, I forgot, we were one of the 31 other teams that didn't win the Cup during those seasons. That puts us on par with the Thrashers, Blue Jackets and other awful teams. Silly me.

Old
05-15-2012, 10:23 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Not a big fan of David Jones. He's an inconsistent power forward who doesn't hit all that much and has injury history.

I wouldn't mind Ribeiro, but I think the same impact could be had with Jokinen without giving up assets. I'd also be willing to roll the dice on a highly drafted rookie behind Backstrom.

Anyone think Detroit could be a possible landing spot for Schultz? With the likely loss of Lidstrom and Stuart, they are going to need to fill multiple holes. Schultz + negotiating rights to Semin (if he doesn't stay) could be an interesting starting point toward getting a Filppula or someone of that nature, and I'm sure they wouldn't mind replacing the 1st they traded for Quincey either.

Defensively, obviously Suter is the golden goose, but I'd be fine with any LD who can push Hamrlik to 3. Wideman should go, replaced with a more balanced player (sophomore Orlov?). The net is fine, though I'd advocate trading Neuvirth for some forward help and signing a mid-aged, mid-tier reliable vet (consistent).

Lineup:
Ovechkin - Backstrom - Brouwer
Semin/Laich - Acquired 2C - Forward help/Galiev? Prefer someone with decent size and speed
Chimera - Fast 3C/Laich - Johansson
Hendricks - Beagle - Ward
Eakin - Sjogren

Suter/Alzner - Green
Alzner/2LD - Carlson
Hamrlik - Orlov
Erskine/Balanced backup D (Schilling?)

Holtby
Neuvirth/vet G

Old
05-15-2012, 10:40 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Yea, it must be rough going to a team that is one year removed from back-to-back #1 seeds who averaged 50+ wins in three seasons in a row previous to this one.

Oh yea, I forgot, we were one of the 31 other teams that didn't win the Cup during those seasons. That puts us on par with the Thrashers, Blue Jackets and other awful teams. Silly me.
I didn't say they were bad but they are nowhere near the upper tier of desired franchises to play for in this league.

This is a team where a talent like Ovechkin has gone from 65 goals to 65 points. Think about that for a second. This is a multiple MVP winning player we are talking about here. Since expansion in '67-'68 7 forwards have won more than 1 Hart Trophy, Esposito, Clarke, Lafleur, Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier, and Ovechkin. And playing for this franchise has reduced an incredibly rare talent like Ovechkin to a 65 point player.

Yeah what top player wouldn't want to play for this franchise...?

Old
05-15-2012, 10:55 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishMeatballs1990 View Post
Semin is not gone. His agent said that he and Alex need to see the direction that the team is headed in, and that if management needs him and is going to use him better, then they will negotiate, but if they don't feel a need for Alex, then he will test the market.

Basically, it sounds like Semin wants to have his playing time where it was in past seasons, and have increased time on the PK. That's not too much to ask for considering he could easily go 40-40 with a more offensive coach.

I never saw him say that before, but that sounds much more promising than the other quotes we saw earlier. I read it on the WP Caps Insider.

Also, Ovechkin hinted at some jealousy in the lockerrom and some tension. Very possible it was everyone vs. guys like Ovechkin, Semin, Mojo, Green.
Yeah that's captain material.

Didn't see the quote or the source, but if he even discussed that or made mention of that he doesn't deserve even an A on his sweater. Leave that **** in the locker room don't take it out in to the public. He may lead the team in points but he's not demonstrating that he's a team leader with comments like that.

Old
05-15-2012, 10:55 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Think about that for a second. This is a multiple MVP winning player we are talking about here
So...the ability to play with a player capable of winning the league's MVP with relative ease, who is still in the prime of his career in regards to age...somehow makes this a less than desirable destination. A player who struggled under a coach who instituted a system that didn't fit that player. A coach who was removed.

I fail to see your point, so here's a dancing pink elephant.

Old
05-15-2012, 11:01 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post

Didn't see the quote or the source, but if he even discussed that or made mention of that he doesn't deserve even an A on his sweater. Leave that **** in the locker room don't take it out in to the public. He may lead the team in points but he's not demonstrating that he's a team leader with comments like that.
Watch the video...wiz posted it around midnight. I think it's just a language gaffe.

Old
05-15-2012, 11:51 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:

Overreact much??

Old
05-15-2012, 11:55 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:

Should all captains follow some sort of book where they poop sunshine and kittens about their locker room? I thought the whole point of being a captain in the locker room is the ability to call players out? Enough of this "keep it in house" ********, BB aired his dirty laundry and he was awesome.

Old
05-15-2012, 12:33 PM
Atlas

Quote:
I didn't say they were bad but they are nowhere near the upper tier of desired franchises to play for in this league.

This is a team where a talent like Ovechkin has gone from 65 goals to 65 points. Think about that for a second. This is a multiple MVP winning player we are talking about here. Since expansion in '67-'68 7 forwards have won more than 1 Hart Trophy, Esposito, Clarke, Lafleur, Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier, and Ovechkin. And playing for this franchise has reduced an incredibly rare talent like Ovechkin to a 65 point player.

Yeah what top player wouldn't want to play for this franchise...?

All those guys except for Ovie have Cups. And none of them would've been good enough to turn the loser Caps mentality into a SC winner.

We are the Hartford Whalers.

Old
05-15-2012, 12:40 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
We are the Hartford Whalers.
the whate are now the canes.

Old
05-15-2012, 12:48 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
the whate are now the canes.
I laughed.

Old
05-15-2012, 12:51 PM
ReggietheSavage15

What about making a deal to bring in Derick Brassard? He'd help fill the 2C void.

Also, how much of a long shot would it be to sign Parise? I mentioned this a few weeks before, but I'd love to kick the tires on Artuykhin over in the KHL and see if there is any way that he'd be interested in playing in DC. His speed/physicality/craziness would be GREAT on our 3rd line.

If Parise somehow signs, that definitely would put an end to the Ryan Suter talk. If it happens, who could we target as a UFA d-man that would fit our team AND we could afford?

Old
05-15-2012, 01:10 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Parise isn't coming here. Pavelski isn't coming here. Suter isn't coming here. Why? Because it's the Caps.

Old
05-15-2012, 01:15 PM
ReggietheSavage15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleycaps98 View Post
Parise isn't coming here. Pavelski isn't coming here. Suter isn't coming here. Why? Because it's the Caps.
Thanks for looking in your crystal ball, Miss Cleo.

Mods, feel free to lock this thread up.

Old
05-15-2012, 01:25 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

The last big unrestricted free agent the Caps signed....

Old
05-15-2012, 01:29 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
The last big unrestricted free agent the Caps signed
Well you could make an argument for Nylander part deux.

Either way..outside of a few instances, most of GMGM's UFAs have not panned out.

Old
05-15-2012, 01:39 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Overreact much??
I know. It's absolute heresy on my part to suggest in Cap country that the great eight may not be great at somethings, such as being a team captain, team leader and a two way hockey player. He has his positives but he has his flaws as well.

Old
05-15-2012, 01:42 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Hmmm..............with all of the talk of trapping, trappers, entrapment, #HunterHockey and such - I wonder if Jacques Martin is a possibility for a new coach. He definitely IMHO played much the same system but never had the offensive horses that Washington currently has. And even without them he was somewhat successful. I don't know that he exactly let off the gas as much either when his team was up a goal.

I for one do like the defensive system if you don't let up so much after scoring. And JM encouraged his d-men to be involved in the offensive play - he encouraged it. His system was man to man in the d zone as well which the players seemed to grasp pretty well and actually liked. I remember comments from Alzner and Green expressing the simplicity of the system.

Old
05-15-2012, 01:45 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Hmmm..............with all of the talk of trapping, trappers, entrapment, #HunterHockey and such - I wonder if Jacques Martin is a possibility for a new coach. He definitely IMHO played much the same system but never had the offensive horses that Washington currently has. And even without them he was somewhat successful. I don't know that he exactly let off the gas as much either when his team was up a goal.

I for one do like the defensive system if you don't let up so much after scoring. And JM encouraged his d-men to be involved in the offensive play - he encouraged it. His system was man to man in the d zone as well which the players seemed to grasp pretty well and actually liked. I remember comments from Alzner and Green expressing the simplicity of the system.
Interesting. His coaching record isn't that stellar, but it is interesting.

Old
05-15-2012, 01:48 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Should all captains follow some sort of book where they poop sunshine and kittens about their locker room? I thought the whole point of being a captain in the locker room is the ability to call players out? Enough of this "keep it in house" ********, BB aired his dirty laundry and he was awesome.
Captains should not be discussing what goes on behind close doors to the media or with anyone else who's not on the team roster.

Sounds like he might of been the one that was being called out, btw it was Ovie's antics on the bench in early November during the Ducks game and his mouthing the "Fat ****" remark about BB that probably was one of those proverbial straws that broke the camels back for BB's coaching career here in Washington. A Captain just does not do that in that forum. If he had issues with BB, discuss it with BB behind close doors but don't do something like that during a game.

Old
05-15-2012, 01:49 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post

Martin is awful.

Imagine Dale Hunter hockey WITHOUT any form of physical play and standing up for teamates.

The guy would suck every last vestige of life out of this team.

Old
05-15-2012, 01:55 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Martin is awful.

Imagine Dale Hunter hockey WITHOUT any form of physical play and standing up for teamates.

The guy would suck every last vestige of life out of this team.
Brent Sutter now coaching team Canada is someone I'd consider.

Closed Thread