HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XI

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2012, 02:15 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Hmmm..............with all of the talk of trapping, trappers, entrapment, #HunterHockey and such - I wonder if Jacques Martin is a possibility for a new coach. He definitely IMHO played much the same system but never had the offensive horses that Washington currently has. And even without them he was somewhat successful. I don't know that he exactly let off the gas as much either when his team was up a goal.

I for one do like the defensive system if you don't let up so much after scoring. And JM encouraged his d-men to be involved in the offensive play - he encouraged it. His system was man to man in the d zone as well which the players seemed to grasp pretty well and actually liked. I remember comments from Alzner and Green expressing the simplicity of the system.
I'm okay with a defensive-minded coach, but I want one with some aggressiveness in his philosophy. I want a consistent physical game and an actual forecheck. If you're to grind, then grind and actually wear the other team down / generate chances from your grinding. (Obviously the makeup of the roster matters here too.) Eakins is certainly intriguing.

Old
05-15-2012, 02:22 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Captains should not be discussing what goes on behind close doors to the media or with anyone else who's not on the team roster.

Sounds like he might of been the one that was being called out, btw it was Ovie's antics on the bench in early November during the Ducks game and his mouthing the "Fat ****" remark about BB that probably was one of those proverbial straws that broke the camels back for BB's coaching career here in Washington. A Captain just does not do that in that forum. If he had issues with BB, discuss it with BB behind close doors but don't do something like that during a game.
Watch the video, so you can actually get the context of what he's saying.

I'll summarize:

When we lose games or things aren't going well, we need to not look around at each other to assign blame, we need to come together.

That sound like an un-captainy thing to say?

Old
05-15-2012, 02:24 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Of all the options I've heard so far, Eakins and Maurice are the most intriguing. I like the idea of contesting every puck. I think the Caps have the size and speed on the forecheck to make that effective (though would want some more speed upgrades). Gustafsson's international resume is interesting to me, though one wonders how he'd adapt to smaller ice.

Old
05-15-2012, 02:30 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post

I'll summarize:

When we lose games or things aren't going well, we need to not look around at each other to assign blame, we need to come together.

Bu bu but if you put it that way, we can't throw OV under the bus!!

Old
05-15-2012, 02:31 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Martin is awful.

Imagine Dale Hunter hockey WITHOUT any form of physical play and standing up for teamates.

The guy would suck every last vestige of life out of this team.
His team in Montreal wasn't assembled to be physical - not with the likes of Cammalleri, Gomez and Gionta on the roster. They were assembled to be quick in the "new NHL". But the style is reverting back so it seems. He had Moen and played him quite a bit so I don't think he minds that kind of player.

Just curious - why do say he's awful specifically - because of his record, because he was fired, the style of his teams?

When Montreal beat Washington he was much more laid back and defensive but keep in mind the defense was depleted. Markov was just back from injury. Hamrlik was exhaused from filling in for Markov most of the season. Spacek was ill. Subban was playing his first games in the NHL. And it's the series where Halak helped to make a name for Gill and Gorges.

And Montreal didn't have the offensive firepower that Washington has. But at times they still managed to score more goals than Washington did under Hunter.

I'm not campaigning for him but aside from what you mentioned I do see similarities. JM took injury riddled and depleted teams, the defense specifically, and found some success.

Old
05-15-2012, 02:31 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
I know. It's absolute heresy on my part to suggest in Cap country that the great eight may not be great at somethings, such as being a team captain, team leader and a two way hockey player. He has his positives but he has his flaws as well.
I have no problem with you voicing your displeasure about Ovie having faults...but watch the god damn video before mouthing off about it based on a few quotes.

Old
05-15-2012, 02:58 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:

I'll summarize:

Yes because he addressed it to the wrong audience. A captain doesn't air such things outside of the locker room.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:06 PM
txpd

Quote:
Yes because he addressed it to the wrong audience. A captain doesn't air such things outside of the locker room.
oh good grief

Old
05-15-2012, 03:09 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

I don't think he did anything "un-captain-y" having seen the sound bite online.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:14 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Keep digging

Old
05-15-2012, 03:18 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Chimera - Fast 3C/Laich - Johansson
Hendricks - Beagle - Ward
Playing off of these line ideas for a moment, Johansson would qualify as a "Fast 3C," though not one of the shutdown variety given his faceoff struggles. So you make the 4th line the shutdown line (something that 4th line could very well accomplish). Them put Johansson at 3C and Eakin at 3RW. A Chimera-MoJo-Eakin line would be fun to watch based on that crazy speed alone. Eakin and Johansson might be too weak on the puck to get a decent cycle going or push off backcheckers, which would be an issue if they're on the same line. But the concept of a speedy forechecking line that's dangerous in transition (especially given that Chimera rarely hangs onto the puck in transition anyway), has some merit.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:21 PM
Halpysback

Brouwer was inconsistent and quasi useless before he came here as well. Jones is fairly underrated, which is why we could get him without enough impact on the cap to hinder further moves. Most of his inconsistency is due to injuries. At the very least he's fast and has a nose for the net, and fairly good finishing ability. If Ovechkin insists on passing to his opposite winger on the rush for tip-in goals (like he had with Knuble for the first year) Jones could get 30-35 in an offensive system.

I'm not sure we need more hitting. Hitting hasn't been our downfall in any way. More size along the boards and speed, definitely.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:46 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:

I'll summarize:

I watched about 10 minutes of his press conference as well as a few minutes of both Laich and Alzner, who both handled it the way Captain Ovechkin should have handled it.

Ovechkin " . . . I don't want to say persons but . . ." that was his exact comment when he was discussing the issues of the locker room but he used the term jealousy as well as players looking at others when they felt there game was not up to par in so many words. Draw your own conclusions but he's singling out specific players with that comment.

Laich "There's stuff belonging in the locker room and we want to leave it there."

Alzner "Yelling at each other and every team does that and it made it better".

So there was some catharsis at work within the locker room as there is in probably most if not all NHL locker rooms from time to time. Apparently Alex took it personally.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:46 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Playing off of these line ideas for a moment, Johansson would qualify as a "Fast 3C," though not one of the shutdown variety given his faceoff struggles. So you make the 4th line the shutdown line (something that 4th line could very well accomplish). Them put Johansson at 3C and Eakin at 3RW. A Chimera-MoJo-Eakin line would be fun to watch based on that crazy speed alone. Eakin and Johansson might be too weak on the puck to get a decent cycle going or push off backcheckers, which would be an issue if they're on the same line. But the concept of a speedy forechecking line that's dangerous in transition (especially given that Chimera rarely hangs onto the puck in transition anyway), has some merit.
I didn't think of addressing that internally with Eakin, who does have excellent speed. Johansson would need to bulk up in that scenario (and work in the dot), but I have a feeling both he and Eakin will come into next season bigger.

Old
05-15-2012, 03:56 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Brouwer was inconsistent and quasi useless before he came here as well. Jones is fairly underrated, which is why we could get him without enough impact on the cap to hinder further moves. Most of his inconsistency is due to injuries. At the very least he's fast and has a nose for the net, and fairly good finishing ability. If Ovechkin insists on passing to his opposite winger on the rush for tip-in goals (like he had with Knuble for the first year) Jones could get 30-35 in an offensive system.

I'm not sure we need more hitting. Hitting hasn't been our downfall in any way. More size along the boards and speed, definitely.
Fair enough if you want to give him a shot on a cheap contract; I think the cap space exists to go after a known better player, like a Doan if he makes it to UFA. Hitting isn't a be-all end-all, but it's a means of getting somewhere if you can do it consistently. The vision I'm looking at is a big, fast, hard hitting and forechecking team that possesses the puck in the offensive zone and creates offense through cycling and point shots, which I think plays to the strengths of the team. Replacing Semin with say a Ryane Clowe (slower but uses his body more effectively) is something I'd look at as well.

Old
05-15-2012, 04:23 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
I watched about 10 minutes of his press conference as well as a few minutes of both Laich and Alzner, who both handled it the way Captain Ovechkin should have handled it.

Ovechkin " . . . I don't want to say persons but . . ." that was his exact comment when he was discussing the issues of the locker room but he used the term jealousy as well as players looking at others when they felt there game was not up to par in so many words. Draw your own conclusions but he's singling out specific players with that comment.

Laich "There's stuff belonging in the locker room and we want to leave it there."

Alzner "Yelling at each other and every team does that and it made it better".

So there was some catharsis at work within the locker room as there is in probably most if not all NHL locker rooms from time to time. Apparently Alex took it personally.
Oh please. Nothing in that video indicated he took anything personally.

Laich gets blasted on here all the time for the canned answers, and now, all of the sudden, those are the right things to say?

Old
05-15-2012, 04:36 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Oh please. Nothing in that video indicated he took anything personally.

Laich gets blasted on here all the time for the canned answers, and now, all of the sudden, those are the right things to say?
We're not going to agree on this one.

Ovechkin was then asked to clarify his comment about jealousy.

“I don't want to say persons, I don't want to say situations, but sometimes you just know like, some guys, if you didn't play well they just look at you like, you know,” he said. “Of course, you can see it, I can see it and somebody else gonna see it and it's not the way we gonna win the game.”

Not like he's expressed his "true" feelings before at the wrong time and in the wrong place.

Old
05-15-2012, 04:46 PM
thewill78

Don't know if something like this was posted before but I saw this on Twitter earlier:

Feds ‏ @FedFedRMNB
If the Caps let Semin go, re-sign Green @ 5M and Carlson @ 3M, trade Schultz away, cap goes up to 69M, they have $21,592,651 w/ 17 signed.

We would have alot of money probably enough to try and get Suter and a couple other players

Old
05-15-2012, 04:52 PM
n3ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewill78 View Post
Don't know if something like this was posted before but I saw this on Twitter earlier:

Feds ‏ @FedFedRMNB
If the Caps let Semin go, re-sign Green @ 5M and Carlson @ 3M, trade Schultz away, cap goes up to 69M, they have $21,592,651 w/ 17 signed.

We would have alot of money probably enough to try and get Suter and a couple other players
trade Schultz.... yes please.

Old
05-15-2012, 05:03 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Trade Schultz away?

He is so George's long term project. I have long half joked that George envisions Sarge hoisting the cup in 2015 and then passing the cup to Ovi. Defense wins cups.

George was quick to point out he had never seen Sarge playing better just ~2 months ago.

I still contend Sarge was worse than Wides in the playoffs. The games Sarge wasn't in the lineup, Wides was even.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 05-15-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old
05-15-2012, 05:19 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

There is a thread about Ribeiro in the Trades/FA section.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1186061

I like things they wrote about Mike Ribeiro. 32 years old, 1 season from UFA. 5M caphit. 2-way pass-first playmaker. Not big enough though.

Old
05-15-2012, 05:41 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Fair enough if you want to give him a shot on a cheap contract; I think the cap space exists to go after a known better player, like a Doan if he makes it to UFA. Hitting isn't a be-all end-all, but it's a means of getting somewhere if you can do it consistently. The vision I'm looking at is a big, fast, hard hitting and forechecking team that possesses the puck in the offensive zone and creates offense through cycling and point shots, which I think plays to the strengths of the team. Replacing Semin with say a Ryane Clowe (slower but uses his body more effectively) is something I'd look at as well.
Doan is a pipe dream, he probably stays in Phoenix and if they are moving for a fact then somewhere near like LA. You'd probably be looking at 5 years at 6 million per to get him here. He's already 35.

It's not a cheap contract as much as something that's actually doable. Jones could be had for 3-3.5 most likely. Given how the FA market has shaken out recently that is not a bad bet.

Making this team more physical at the expense of speed will not get us anywhere at all. Physicality is important, defensive responsibility is important. But team speed is absolutely the way to go to succeed. Much rather have Plekanec than Pavelski or Clowe for that reason. Clowe is not a bad player but not worth what he would take to acquire in the context of this team.

Luckily, Jones is both rather fast and decently physical. And can score.

Old
05-15-2012, 05:57 PM
MiSe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
So something around this assuming we could trade for a 2c. God I'd love to drop Wardo though get something cheaper and sign Parise instead of Semin, if it were at all possible. Not saying it is, would just be a pipe dream.

FORWARDS
Alex Ovechkin ($9.538m) / Nicklas Backstrom ($6.700m) / Troy Brouwer ($2.350m)
Brooks Laich ($4.500m) / Mike Ribeiro ($5.000m) / Alexander Semin ($5.500m)
Jason Chimera ($1.750m) / Marcus Johansson ($0.900m) / Cody Eakin ($0.638m)
Matt Hendricks ($0.825m) / Jay Beagle ($0.878m) / Joel Ward ($3.000m)
Mathieu Perreault ($0.878m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Karl Alzner ($1.285m) / John Carlson ($2.827m)
Barret Jackman ($3.750m) / Mike Green ($5.250m)
Roman Hamrlik ($3.500m) / Dmitry Orlov ($0.900m)
John Erskine ($1.500m) /
GOALTENDERS
Michal Neuvirth ($1.150m)
Braden Holtby ($0.638m)
BUYOUTS
Tyler Sloan ($0.233m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,489,224; BONUSES: $320,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $810,776

edit: in hindsight the only issue i see with the third line, sure it raises question marks, but moreover, if one of them got hurt. Trying to slot somebody in there without any speed would absolutely KILL that line.

Old
05-15-2012, 06:14 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Maybe next year George will roll the dice and let Sjogren get into an NHL game. Yes even if he isn't lighting up the score sheet in Hershey. Or maybe better yet, end his misery and just trade him for a 4th to one of the other teams that wanted him as much as we did.

Old
05-15-2012, 06:15 PM
0V3CHKiN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Trade Schultz away?

He is so George's long term project. I have long half joked that George envisions Sarge hoisting the cup in 2015 and then passing the cup to Ovi. Defense wins cups.

George was quick to point out he had never seen Sarge playing better just ~2 months ago.

I still contend Sarge was worse than Wides in the playoffs. The games Sarge wasn't in the lineup, Wides was even.
This.

Closed Thread