HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XI

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2012, 01:12 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Wiz...

You seriously made me lose my lunch. Jokinen..ugghhh...I do not like this player one bit!

Anyone who signs Garrison in the off season will likely regret it in a couple years. He just does not have the body of work to command the figures he is asking for.

I'd really rather see us hold our cash..give the young players bigger roles...make a smart short term cheap vet acquistion and then wait for a guy like Shea Weber to hit the market and go full retard.

We need a big intimidating presence if we truly want to upgrade our D. A Pronger/Chara/Weber is what we truly need. a #1 dman who inflicts the pain, can play 30 mins, can kill penalties and work the PP etc

Let's not waste our money on lesser players (Garrison) or players who don't fill that need nearly as well (Suter)
I know Florida games are freaking boring, but seriously, you haven't noticed Garrison before this year? We've seen him a dozen times over the past two years and I've always been more impressed with his defense than his offense. He was really the only thing that stood out in Florida last year. This is no Jeff Finger.

Old
04-24-2012, 01:12 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Who the hell is Jason Garrison?

Old
04-24-2012, 01:15 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Who the hell is Jason Garrison?

He's this year's Brian Pothier. If McPhee is employed here in July, I'm certain that it's happening. Prototypical McPhee dumpster dive.

Old
04-24-2012, 01:19 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I know Florida games are freaking boring, but seriously, you haven't noticed Garrison before this year? We've seen him a dozen times over the past two years and I've always been more impressed with his defense than his offense. He was really the only thing that stood out in Florida last year. This is no Jeff Finger.
I have watched him and he is an ok player with a great shot. Its always easy to like players on other teams and wish they were on ours since clearly they have to be better than what we have.

Garrison..this was BY FAR his best year..he wants $4-5 million...a BIG no thanks!

He's not the kind of player we need and that would be a complete and utter waste. I'd MUCH MUCH rather have Mike Green who is perhaps the most unique dman in the league. You undervalue him because:

1: You clearly aren't taking into account the kind of D partners he's been paired with over the years.

2: You assume his injuries will continue and will consume his career even tho he is just on the cusp of entering his prime.

3: You simply just don't like him.

4: Not taking into account the stifling trap we've been playing since the midway point of the reg season last year and what that has done with his numbers.

We threw Larry Murphy and Gonchar off the train and both went on to win cups. I have no doubt Green will too should he go. Caps need to focus on assembling better players around him that compliment what he brings.

Old
04-24-2012, 01:24 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Geez, NO!
I'm not huge on Garrison either, but I was going along with BCF's Garrison premise.

And, just like before, there's nothing wrong with Jokinen. Unless you dislike 50+ point two-way centers that are as durable as they come.

Old
04-24-2012, 01:41 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
He was my favorite nu Cap. Now he can't stay healthy or score, so what's the point?
The tell will be this offseason. If he works hard to get himself back to form, great. If not, he's what we fear he is.

Old
04-24-2012, 01:42 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I'm not huge on Garrison either, but I was going along with BCF's Garrison premise.

And, just like before, there's nothing wrong with Jokinen. Unless you dislike 50+ point two-way centers that are as durable as they come.
I just have a hard time projecting any kind of production for someone coming into this system from the outside.

Old
04-24-2012, 01:45 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
1: You clearly aren't taking into account the kind of D partners he's been paired with over the years.
Oh, I absolutely am. Mike Green has played with garbage partners his entire career. But George McPhee has also been his GM his entire career. McPhee is unable to bring in defensive talent. Green's partners aren't going to improve as long as McPhee is here. So that's one irrelevant point.

Quote:
2: You assume his injuries will continue and will consume his career even tho he is just on the cusp of entering his prime.
Yes I do. Shoulder problems, concussions and groin problems don't tend to happen once and then never again. They tend to happen repeatedly. He's already at two wasted seasons in a row.

Quote:
3: You simply just don't like him.
Not true and really just sad trolling. I said not a page ago that he was my favorite of this generation of Caps.

Quote:
4: Not taking into account the stifling trap we've been playing since the midway point of the reg season last year and what that has done with his numbers.
How many points does Yandle have playing in a trap every bit as rigid as ours? Shattenkirk? Pietrangelo?

Old
04-24-2012, 01:51 PM
txpd

i dont think there is another nhl team that is as defensively rigid as hunter's. its a new level of rope a dope.

Old
04-24-2012, 01:52 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i dont think there is another nhl team that is as defensively rigid as hunter's. its a new level of rope a dope.
Watch a Coyotes game.

Old
04-24-2012, 02:00 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Watch a Coyotes game.
40.2 shots against a game in the playoffs. Mike Smith is a saint.

Old
04-24-2012, 02:27 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I agree. Its absurd when we get a lead...we have 4 guys on our side of center ice and the 5th guy doesn't even usually enter the attacking zone. We don't even try to generate any offense...we use the chip, dump and change.

We stop using our offensive players in those situations period. Its as if Hunter does not want a 2 goal lead! ha

Old
04-24-2012, 02:42 PM
txpd

i am watching the coyotes now. their defense plays differently with the puck than the caps do. they are allowed to pass the puck into the middle of the ice in the d zone. the caps dont. the yotes d is allows to skate the puck away from the boards in the o zone. the caps dont anymore.

the yotes d is allowed to skate the puck into the offensive zone and carry the play. the caps d doesnt do that at all anymore.

i think it was game 6. the caps had a 4 on 3 skating thru center ice with green carrying and he dumped it in and skated to the right point at the blue line. it was clear that him skating that puck in was not an option.

thats what br is talking about. 4 on 3 and attacking is not an option for the caps defense.

Old
04-24-2012, 02:47 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

I am pretty wary of Jason Garrison. Letting Green walk only to turn around and bring in Garrison at essentially the same salary...well, yeah, no.

Old
04-24-2012, 02:57 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

2012-2013 Roster

Ovechkin-Pavelski-Kuznetsov
Johansson-Backstrom-Semin
Chimera-Laich-Brouwer
Hendricks-Beagle-Ward
Perreault

Suter-Boyle
Alzner-Carlson
Hamrlik-Orlov
Erskine

Holtby
Neuvirth

Trade:
Mike Green + Cody Eakin + Bos 2nd for Joe Pavelski + Dan Boyle
Jeff Schultz for a pick

Sign:
Ryan Suter - 8yrs 60 mil NMC

BTW I truly think the Caps are gonna win tomorrow and eventually advance to the ECF, but it's always fun to speculate. This team should be under the cap too.

Old
04-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Why in the known universe would San Jose make that trade?

Old
04-24-2012, 03:07 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Why in the known universe would San Jose make that trade?
Retool. And Green is better than Boyle in San Jose's system.

Old
04-24-2012, 03:11 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

The actual answer is that they wouldn't, though.

Old
04-24-2012, 03:12 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
The actual answer is that they wouldn't, though.
Pavelski is on the block... And I'm positive they would rather have Green than Boyle. My original proposal was 16th overall + Green but I changed it.

Old
04-24-2012, 03:14 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Who says Pavelski is on the block? Doug Wilson?

Old
04-24-2012, 03:15 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

What NBTW said, and Rick Nash is "on the block" too...for like 5 first rounders +.

Old
04-24-2012, 03:17 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Who says Pavelski is on the block? Doug Wilson?
It's been speculated by their fans... Seems they are really looking to shake things up after losing in 5 games as an early season favorite. I'm not saying he is, but if he was, I'd be willing to do something along the lines of Green + 16th for Pavelski + Boyle. Or maybe take out Green + Boyle, but add Bos 2nd or Neuvy?

Old
04-24-2012, 03:21 PM
txpd

how often do teams shake things up like that? trade a top player almost always means getting less in return. not always, but in most cases. frankly i could see thornton go before pavelski.

fans talking about trading pavelski doesnt really carry any weight. if bob mckenzie says it, sure. fans just want somebody to pay.

Old
04-24-2012, 03:23 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishMeatballs1990 View Post
It's been speculated by their fans... Seems they are really looking to shake things up after losing in 5 games as an early season favorite. I'm not saying he is, but if he was, I'd be willing to do something along the lines of Green + 16th for Pavelski + Boyle. Or maybe take out Green + Boyle, but add Bos 2nd or Neuvy?
Their fans also think Wilson would trade Murray for a 2nd. So yeah, that speculation is meaningless.

Old
04-24-2012, 03:37 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
Nothing he said was incorrect. OEL is a better d-man than Yandle. OEL will win a Norris before all is said and done.
Don't be stupid.

Yandle had more points and was a +5, OEL doesn't play the top line and was a -3.

Closed Thread