HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XI

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-24-2012, 02:41 PM
  #176
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 21,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Don't be stupid.

Yandle had more points and was a +5, OEL doesn't play the top line and was a -3.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 02:46 PM
  #177
malyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The City by the Bay
Posts: 3,772
vCash: 500
The sharks aren't going to part ways with Boyle, Pavelski or Thornton. Marleau? Probably. But I'm not sure he's the guy you want to count on to get you over any playoff hurdles.

malyk is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 02:50 PM
  #178
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Yay hockey!
 
ChibiPooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,279
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by malyk View Post
The sharks aren't going to part ways with Boyle, Pavelski or Thornton. Marleau? Probably. But I'm not sure he's the guy you want to count on to get you over any playoff hurdles.
But we already called dibs... plus we were going to give you all the awesome guys we don't want anymore because they suck!

ChibiPooky is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 02:51 PM
  #179
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 21,359
vCash: 500
I'd take Marleau here in a second. He's been over a 70 point player 5 of the last 7 years, and has a 88 points in 129 games of playoff experience. He wouldn't need to be 'the man' in the playoffs for the Caps. He'd just need to get Ovie some space.

Ovechkin-Marleau-Johansson would be a stunning line on the rush.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 02:52 PM
  #180
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!
 
BiPolar Caps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 6,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
40.2 shots against a game in the playoffs. Mike Smith is a saint.
Whatever happened to the Mike Smith that Brooks Laich use to taunt. Remember Smith taking a slapshot at Laich's helmet after it had been dislodged in one of their scrums.

BiPolar Caps is online now  
Old
04-24-2012, 02:54 PM
  #181
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 21,359
vCash: 500
Elite goalie Mike Smith is an illusion. Similar to the elite goalie Ilya Bryzgalov illusion.

They're a product of an air-tight defensive system and a really good goalie coach.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 02:58 PM
  #182
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!
 
BiPolar Caps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 6,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i am watching the coyotes now. their defense plays differently with the puck than the caps do. they are allowed to pass the puck into the middle of the ice in the d zone. the caps dont. the yotes d is allows to skate the puck away from the boards in the o zone. the caps dont anymore.

the yotes d is allowed to skate the puck into the offensive zone and carry the play. the caps d doesnt do that at all anymore.

i think it was game 6. the caps had a 4 on 3 skating thru center ice with green carrying and he dumped it in and skated to the right point at the blue line. it was clear that him skating that puck in was not an option.thats what br is talking about. 4 on 3 and attacking is not an option for the caps defense.
Along those same lines and I may be mistaken, but I thought after Green had scored the goal, we actually saw less of him that is his ice time was diminished. If you recall when he scored the goal he had previously taken a shot from the point but on the goal he scored he drifted away from the point towards the middle of the ice and actually a little further down towards the goal thus leaving his position (gasp!) on the right point near the blue line vacant. Wondering if DH was po'd at his creativity and thus punished him for it.

BiPolar Caps is online now  
Old
04-24-2012, 03:01 PM
  #183
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Elite goalie Mike Smith is an illusion. Similar to the elite goalie Ilya Bryzgalov illusion.

They're a product of an air-tight defensive system and a really good goalie coach.
Agreed.

Liberati0n* is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 03:20 PM
  #184
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 44,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Along those same lines and I may be mistaken, but I thought after Green had scored the goal, we actually saw less of him that is his ice time was diminished. If you recall when he scored the goal he had previously taken a shot from the point but on the goal he scored he drifted away from the point towards the middle of the ice and actually a little further down towards the goal thus leaving his position (gasp!) on the right point near the blue line vacant. Wondering if DH was po'd at his creativity and thus punished him for it.
ive made this point previous that green broke the rules on his goal and got the bench for it.

txpd is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 03:35 PM
  #185
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 500
It's hilarious if that's actually what happened. I actually kind of like it.

Liberati0n* is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 04:15 PM
  #186
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 44,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Elite goalie Mike Smith is an illusion. Similar to the elite goalie Ilya Bryzgalov illusion.

They're a product of an air-tight defensive system and a really good goalie coach.
wait....are you saying that if mcphee had taken bryz off waivers when he had the chance doom would still have won the day? the hell you say.

txpd is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 04:23 PM
  #187
swimmer77
Post Oates
 
swimmer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: in water
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Along those same lines and I may be mistaken, but I thought after Green had scored the goal, we actually saw less of him that is his ice time was diminished. If you recall when he scored the goal he had previously taken a shot from the point but on the goal he scored he drifted away from the point towards the middle of the ice and actually a little further down towards the goal thus leaving his position (gasp!) on the right point near the blue line vacant. Wondering if DH was po'd at his creativity and thus punished him for it.
Would not be surprised in the least - it's part of the reason Hamrlik got benched. But Wideman gets a pass everytime.

I can't figure out why Carlson was removed from the first PK unit for Wideman. THAT truly has had me baffled.

swimmer77 is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 05:01 PM
  #188
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough
 
SimplySensational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Okay whatever I'm wrong in saying the guy who is a +5 and had a point every game is better than the guy who had only 1 in the first 4 and then 2 in the last one and was still a -3.

Stupid stupid me.

Is it because OEL is exotic? Same **** led to the ********* Red Wings PP in years, Holland thought Lidstrom was the great one, so he got Ian White to replace Rafalski, turns out White isn't a replacement just because hes a right handed shot.

SimplySensational is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 06:29 PM
  #189
Halpysback*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I'd take Marleau here in a second. He's been over a 70 point player 5 of the last 7 years, and has a 88 points in 129 games of playoff experience. He wouldn't need to be 'the man' in the playoffs for the Caps. He'd just need to get Ovie some space.

Ovechkin-Marleau-Johansson would be a stunning line on the rush.
Not for 6.9 million it wouldn't. And despite the playoff numbers you can really tell he doesn't elevate his game solely from watching him. It just sticks out. And I give pretty much every questionable playoff performer the benefit of the doubt.

Halpysback* is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 06:30 PM
  #190
Halpysback*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Okay whatever I'm wrong in saying the guy who is a +5 and had a point every game is better than the guy who had only 1 in the first 4 and then 2 in the last one and was still a -3.

Stupid stupid me.

Is it because OEL is exotic? Same **** led to the ********* Red Wings PP in years, Holland thought Lidstrom was the great one, so he got Ian White to replace Rafalski, turns out White isn't a replacement just because hes a right handed shot.
Jeff Schultz, best defenseman of 2009-2010

Seriously though, Yandle is better right now, barely, but OEL-White is a horrible comparison. And OEL will probably surpass Yandle by next year. Dude is legit as ****.

Halpysback* is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 06:33 PM
  #191
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Elite goalie Mike Smith is an illusion. Similar to the elite goalie Ilya Bryzgalov illusion.

They're a product of an air-tight defensive system and a really good goalie coach.
I think Smith is better than he was most of the time in Tampa (I mean he was really good before that concussion business, and if time helps him recover...) but yeah, they do this so consistently that you can pretty much write off any superlatives without much doubt. I mean didn't Labarbera actually end up with better numbers than Bryz last season?

brs03 is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 06:35 PM
  #192
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough
 
SimplySensational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Jeff Schultz, best defenseman of 2009-2010

Seriously though, Yandle is better right now but OEL-White is a horrible comparison. And OEL will probably surpass Yandle by next year. Dude is legit as ****.
I didn't compare OEL to White, what I was saying is Lidstrom the few years Rafalski was there was getting all the credit for the PP, when it was quite clear Rafalski was the one that was making Lidstrom better on the PP and Holland thought otherwise and went for a right handed shot as some sort of replacement for Rafalski.

I'm more of comparing Yandle to Rafalski in the fact they are American dman getting underrated just because the other guy is Swedish.

SimplySensational is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 06:38 PM
  #193
Halpysback*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
I didn't compare OEL to White, what I was saying is Lidstrom the few years Rafalski was there was getting all the credit for the PP, when it was quite clear Rafalski was the one that was making Lidstrom better on the PP and Holland thought otherwise and went for a right handed shot as some sort of replacement for Rafalski.

I'm more of comparing Yandle to Rafalski in the fact they are American dman getting underrated just because the other guy is Swedish.
That, and Lidstrom is kinda 41 years old now. That said I have no idea who in their right mind would have underrated Rafalski. The guy was tiny, with practically no physical game, who still got an absolutely large contract by the standards of those years, especially from a prestigious organization like the Wings. I'd imagine Holland valued him quite highly.

Also White has been very good for them throughout most of the season, everything just fell apart in the playoffs.

And in Lidstrom's case, the Swedish defenseman was a much better overall defenseman. Just like in OEL's case the Swedish defenseman projects much better and is way ahead of Yandle's development curve, if not quite there yet.

Halpysback* is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 06:43 PM
  #194
Capitlols
Historic Chokers
 
Capitlols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 12,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I'd take Marleau here in a second. He's been over a 70 point player 5 of the last 7 years, and has a 88 points in 129 games of playoff experience. He wouldn't need to be 'the man' in the playoffs for the Caps. He'd just need to get Ovie some space.

Ovechkin-Marleau-Johansson would be a stunning line on the rush.
Wouldn't mind Marleau, but don't know if its a sure thing that he'll waive.

Capitlols is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 06:44 PM
  #195
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough
 
SimplySensational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
That, and Lidstrom is kinda 41 years old now. That said I have no idea who in their right mind would have underrated Rafalski. The guy was tiny, with practically no physical game, who still got an absolutely large contract by the standards of those years, especially from a prestigious organization like the Wings. I'd imagine Holland valued him quite highly.

Also White has been very good for them throughout most of the season, everything just fell apart in the playoffs.

And in Lidstrom's case, the Swedish defenseman was a much better overall defenseman. Just like in OEL's case the Swedish defenseman projects much better and is way ahead of Yandle's development curve, if not quite there yet.
White was good defensively, but the Red Wings PP was terrible without Rafalski.

Maybe OEL develops faster because he has Yandle and Yandle had no great offensively minded dman to influence him? In the end it doesn't matter who developed faster. I think Yandle will be the puck mover and OEL probably will have a better shot for the PP.

SimplySensational is offline  
Old
04-24-2012, 07:39 PM
  #196
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 21,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Okay whatever I'm wrong in saying the guy who is a +5 and had a point every game is better than the guy who had only 1 in the first 4 and then 2 in the last one and was still a -3.

Stupid stupid me.

Is it because OEL is exotic? Same **** led to the ********* Red Wings PP in years, Holland thought Lidstrom was the great one, so he got Ian White to replace Rafalski, turns out White isn't a replacement just because hes a right handed shot.
For the record, I think Yandle is the better player.

But you tried to 'prove' that using points and +/-. For a defenseman.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
04-25-2012, 12:52 AM
  #197
Hivemind
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 17,159
vCash: 500
I think "elite Bryzgalov" was a lot closer to reality than "elite Smith." Bryzgalov, for as inconsistent as he is, has talent and has shown that in other settings (Anaheim, brief flashes in Philadelphia). Tippet's system just masked his weaknesses and the lack of attention kept his head in the game.

Hivemind is offline  
Old
04-25-2012, 06:58 AM
  #198
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 44,019
vCash: 500
ive said this before on different levels, but isnt bringing in a significant contributor to the recent long term in san jose just perpetuating the playoff fail that is the capitals?

txpd is offline  
Old
04-25-2012, 07:44 AM
  #199
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
ive said this before on different levels, but isnt bringing in a significant contributor to the recent long term in san jose just perpetuating the playoff fail that is the capitals?
The Sharks played in the conference finals each of the past 2 seasons. I'm sure just about anyone around here would trade our recent playoff record for theirs.

Stewie G is offline  
Old
04-25-2012, 07:49 AM
  #200
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 44,019
vCash: 500
really? conference finals losing is still losing. caps have been to a conference finals and a stanley cup finals. they are still choking dogs without a cup.

this is why there is talk of blowing that team up and firing the coach. they failed. they have been one of the two or three best teams in the league for a pile of seasons and they have never gotten past the conf finals.

yea, its better than boudreau, but thats it. if boudreau had beaten the pens and lost in the conference finals, the caps would still be chokers.

txpd is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.