HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XI

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2012, 02:41 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Don't be stupid.

Yandle had more points and was a +5, OEL doesn't play the top line and was a -3.

Old
04-24-2012, 02:46 PM
malyk

The sharks aren't going to part ways with Boyle, Pavelski or Thornton. Marleau? Probably. But I'm not sure he's the guy you want to count on to get you over any playoff hurdles.

Old
04-24-2012, 02:50 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by malyk View Post
The sharks aren't going to part ways with Boyle, Pavelski or Thornton. Marleau? Probably. But I'm not sure he's the guy you want to count on to get you over any playoff hurdles.
But we already called dibs... plus we were going to give you all the awesome guys we don't want anymore because they suck!

Old
04-24-2012, 02:51 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I'd take Marleau here in a second. He's been over a 70 point player 5 of the last 7 years, and has a 88 points in 129 games of playoff experience. He wouldn't need to be 'the man' in the playoffs for the Caps. He'd just need to get Ovie some space.

Ovechkin-Marleau-Johansson would be a stunning line on the rush.

Old
04-24-2012, 02:52 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
40.2 shots against a game in the playoffs. Mike Smith is a saint.
Whatever happened to the Mike Smith that Brooks Laich use to taunt. Remember Smith taking a slapshot at Laich's helmet after it had been dislodged in one of their scrums.

Old
04-24-2012, 02:54 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Elite goalie Mike Smith is an illusion. Similar to the elite goalie Ilya Bryzgalov illusion.

They're a product of an air-tight defensive system and a really good goalie coach.

Old
04-24-2012, 02:58 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i am watching the coyotes now. their defense plays differently with the puck than the caps do. they are allowed to pass the puck into the middle of the ice in the d zone. the caps dont. the yotes d is allows to skate the puck away from the boards in the o zone. the caps dont anymore.

the yotes d is allowed to skate the puck into the offensive zone and carry the play. the caps d doesnt do that at all anymore.

i think it was game 6. the caps had a 4 on 3 skating thru center ice with green carrying and he dumped it in and skated to the right point at the blue line. it was clear that him skating that puck in was not an option.thats what br is talking about. 4 on 3 and attacking is not an option for the caps defense.
Along those same lines and I may be mistaken, but I thought after Green had scored the goal, we actually saw less of him that is his ice time was diminished. If you recall when he scored the goal he had previously taken a shot from the point but on the goal he scored he drifted away from the point towards the middle of the ice and actually a little further down towards the goal thus leaving his position (gasp!) on the right point near the blue line vacant. Wondering if DH was po'd at his creativity and thus punished him for it.

Old
04-24-2012, 03:01 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Elite goalie Mike Smith is an illusion. Similar to the elite goalie Ilya Bryzgalov illusion.

They're a product of an air-tight defensive system and a really good goalie coach.
Agreed.

Old
04-24-2012, 03:20 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Along those same lines and I may be mistaken, but I thought after Green had scored the goal, we actually saw less of him that is his ice time was diminished. If you recall when he scored the goal he had previously taken a shot from the point but on the goal he scored he drifted away from the point towards the middle of the ice and actually a little further down towards the goal thus leaving his position (gasp!) on the right point near the blue line vacant. Wondering if DH was po'd at his creativity and thus punished him for it.
ive made this point previous that green broke the rules on his goal and got the bench for it.

Old
04-24-2012, 03:35 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

It's hilarious if that's actually what happened. I actually kind of like it.

Old
04-24-2012, 04:15 PM
txpd

Quote:

wait....are you saying that if mcphee had taken bryz off waivers when he had the chance doom would still have won the day? the hell you say.

Old
04-24-2012, 04:23 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Would not be surprised in the least - it's part of the reason Hamrlik got benched. But Wideman gets a pass everytime.

I can't figure out why Carlson was removed from the first PK unit for Wideman. THAT truly has had me baffled.

Old
04-24-2012, 05:01 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Okay whatever I'm wrong in saying the guy who is a +5 and had a point every game is better than the guy who had only 1 in the first 4 and then 2 in the last one and was still a -3.

Stupid stupid me.

Is it because OEL is exotic? Same **** led to the ********* Red Wings PP in years, Holland thought Lidstrom was the great one, so he got Ian White to replace Rafalski, turns out White isn't a replacement just because hes a right handed shot.

Old
04-24-2012, 06:29 PM
Halpysback*

Quote:
I'd take Marleau here in a second. He's been over a 70 point player 5 of the last 7 years, and has a 88 points in 129 games of playoff experience. He wouldn't need to be 'the man' in the playoffs for the Caps. He'd just need to get Ovie some space.

Not for 6.9 million it wouldn't. And despite the playoff numbers you can really tell he doesn't elevate his game solely from watching him. It just sticks out. And I give pretty much every questionable playoff performer the benefit of the doubt.

Old
04-24-2012, 06:30 PM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Okay whatever I'm wrong in saying the guy who is a +5 and had a point every game is better than the guy who had only 1 in the first 4 and then 2 in the last one and was still a -3.

Stupid stupid me.

Is it because OEL is exotic? Same **** led to the ********* Red Wings PP in years, Holland thought Lidstrom was the great one, so he got Ian White to replace Rafalski, turns out White isn't a replacement just because hes a right handed shot.
Jeff Schultz, best defenseman of 2009-2010

Seriously though, Yandle is better right now, barely, but OEL-White is a horrible comparison. And OEL will probably surpass Yandle by next year. Dude is legit as ****.

Old
04-24-2012, 06:33 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:

I think Smith is better than he was most of the time in Tampa (I mean he was really good before that concussion business, and if time helps him recover...) but yeah, they do this so consistently that you can pretty much write off any superlatives without much doubt. I mean didn't Labarbera actually end up with better numbers than Bryz last season?

Old
04-24-2012, 06:35 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Jeff Schultz, best defenseman of 2009-2010

Seriously though, Yandle is better right now but OEL-White is a horrible comparison. And OEL will probably surpass Yandle by next year. Dude is legit as ****.
I didn't compare OEL to White, what I was saying is Lidstrom the few years Rafalski was there was getting all the credit for the PP, when it was quite clear Rafalski was the one that was making Lidstrom better on the PP and Holland thought otherwise and went for a right handed shot as some sort of replacement for Rafalski.

I'm more of comparing Yandle to Rafalski in the fact they are American dman getting underrated just because the other guy is Swedish.

Old
04-24-2012, 06:38 PM
Halpysback*

Quote:
I didn't compare OEL to White, what I was saying is Lidstrom the few years Rafalski was there was getting all the credit for the PP, when it was quite clear Rafalski was the one that was making Lidstrom better on the PP and Holland thought otherwise and went for a right handed shot as some sort of replacement for Rafalski.

I'm more of comparing Yandle to Rafalski in the fact they are American dman getting underrated just because the other guy is Swedish.
That, and Lidstrom is kinda 41 years old now. That said I have no idea who in their right mind would have underrated Rafalski. The guy was tiny, with practically no physical game, who still got an absolutely large contract by the standards of those years, especially from a prestigious organization like the Wings. I'd imagine Holland valued him quite highly.

Also White has been very good for them throughout most of the season, everything just fell apart in the playoffs.

And in Lidstrom's case, the Swedish defenseman was a much better overall defenseman. Just like in OEL's case the Swedish defenseman projects much better and is way ahead of Yandle's development curve, if not quite there yet.

Old
04-24-2012, 06:43 PM
Capitlols
Historic Chokers

Quote:

Wouldn't mind Marleau, but don't know if its a sure thing that he'll waive.

Old
04-24-2012, 06:44 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
That, and Lidstrom is kinda 41 years old now. That said I have no idea who in their right mind would have underrated Rafalski. The guy was tiny, with practically no physical game, who still got an absolutely large contract by the standards of those years, especially from a prestigious organization like the Wings. I'd imagine Holland valued him quite highly.

Also White has been very good for them throughout most of the season, everything just fell apart in the playoffs.

And in Lidstrom's case, the Swedish defenseman was a much better overall defenseman. Just like in OEL's case the Swedish defenseman projects much better and is way ahead of Yandle's development curve, if not quite there yet.
White was good defensively, but the Red Wings PP was terrible without Rafalski.

Maybe OEL develops faster because he has Yandle and Yandle had no great offensively minded dman to influence him? In the end it doesn't matter who developed faster. I think Yandle will be the puck mover and OEL probably will have a better shot for the PP.

Old
04-24-2012, 07:39 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:

Stupid stupid me.

For the record, I think Yandle is the better player.

But you tried to 'prove' that using points and +/-. For a defenseman.

Old
04-25-2012, 12:52 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

I think "elite Bryzgalov" was a lot closer to reality than "elite Smith." Bryzgalov, for as inconsistent as he is, has talent and has shown that in other settings (Anaheim, brief flashes in Philadelphia). Tippet's system just masked his weaknesses and the lack of attention kept his head in the game.

Old
04-25-2012, 06:58 AM
txpd

ive said this before on different levels, but isnt bringing in a significant contributor to the recent long term in san jose just perpetuating the playoff fail that is the capitals?

Old
04-25-2012, 07:44 AM
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
ive said this before on different levels, but isnt bringing in a significant contributor to the recent long term in san jose just perpetuating the playoff fail that is the capitals?
The Sharks played in the conference finals each of the past 2 seasons. I'm sure just about anyone around here would trade our recent playoff record for theirs.

Old
04-25-2012, 07:49 AM
txpd

really? conference finals losing is still losing. caps have been to a conference finals and a stanley cup finals. they are still choking dogs without a cup.

this is why there is talk of blowing that team up and firing the coach. they failed. they have been one of the two or three best teams in the league for a pile of seasons and they have never gotten past the conf finals.

yea, its better than boudreau, but thats it. if boudreau had beaten the pens and lost in the conference finals, the caps would still be chokers.

Closed Thread