HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League XXXIII (Round Two)

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2012, 10:15 PM
Drewbackatu*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Hagelins Flow View Post
True. Getting ahead of myself for sure, but I really didn't think the Bruins were going to lose tonight and this throws a wrench in how I've been coping with my playoff stress for the moment.

Damn right I am

I thought being a glass half empty guy came with the territory of being a Rangers fan
From one glass half empty fan to another, nice to know you.

Old
04-25-2012, 10:15 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
The only problem is when Boyle comes back. Does he overuse him again?

Personally I am fine with Boyle as long as Mitchell sits.
Dubinsky-Boyle-Anisimov when Boyle is playing closer to what he was playing at the end of the year is a hell of a 3rd line. There are better 3rd lines but we'll finally have a third line instead of having 2 4th lines.

Old
04-25-2012, 10:17 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
So if we beat Ottawa tomorrow we play the Caps who we don't necessarily matchup well against either.

The seeds are irrelevant. Caps played better than a #7 seed against the Bruins. And Holtby appears to have ice in his veins coming into a situation like this late in the season and doing well.
Plus, the Caps are far less banged up as we are. Caps/Bruins wasn't a physical series at all.

The only way we will beat the Caps is if we overwhelm them physically. We didn't do it last season, I'm not sure if we can do it this season.

Old
04-25-2012, 10:18 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Quote:
Originally Posted by corduroyg View Post
no excuse for the rangers now. think about this. to get to the conference finals we'd have to beat an 8 and a 7 seed, cant get any easier than that, at least on paper. then in the conference finals we'd face no better than a 3 seed, and that 3 seed is probably the weakest team in the playoffs!
Honestly, the seeds mean close to nothing if you are trying to gauge a team's skill level.

Washington is not representative of a 7 seed. They are a 7 seed mostly because Florida had more points and took the division leader seed, but Washington dug themselves into a huge hole mid season and were on fire for the entire second half to make the playoffs. Had they played consistently all season like we did, they'd be the 3rd seed easily.

Same goes for any of the Atlantic Division teams. Philly and Pitt could've easily been a 1-3 seed, we just were a little more consistent than them.

I was hoping so badly to face the Devils or Flyers in the next round because we match up better to them than Washington or Ottawa.

Washington is basically the same style of team as Ottawa, just much better -- and look how bad a matchup and how much trouble Ottawa is giving us.

Yeah I'm being Mr. pessimist right now, and I love to eat crow so I hope the Rangers serve me up some, but damn, I'm ******** a brick.

Old
04-25-2012, 10:20 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Washington is basically the same style of team as Ottawa, just much better -- and look how bad a matchup and how much trouble Ottawa is giving us.
Ottawa isn't giving us trouble because of the matchup.

Old
04-25-2012, 10:21 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Honestly, the seeds mean close to nothing if you are trying to gauge a team's skill level.

Washington is not representative of a 7 seed. They are a 7 seed mostly because Florida had more points and took the division leader seed, but Washington dug themselves into a huge hole mid season and were on fire for the entire second half to make the playoffs. Had they played consistently all season like we did, they'd be the 3rd seed easily.

Same goes for any of the Atlantic Division teams. Philly and Pitt could've easily been a 1-3 seed, we just were a little more consistent than them.

I was hoping so badly to face the Devils or Flyers in the next round because we match up better to them than Washington or Ottawa.

Yeah I'm being Mr. pessimist right now, and I love to eat crow so I hope the Rangers serve me up some, but damn, I'm ******** a brick.
People keep on saying this and its not really true. Ottawa and Washington don't really play the same game. Washington doesn't really have a physical edge in their bottom 6. They don't take as many chances as Ottawa on the transition. They don't forecheck.

They are a better opponent than Ottawa. But the problems we are going to have with Washington are not going to be the same as Ottawa(other than difficulty scoring).

Old
04-25-2012, 10:24 PM
corduroyg

Quote:

rangers-caps will be the same type of series as bruins-caps was. close, low scoring, defensive games. ill take my chances in those type of games. this isnt the same type of high flying up and down caps team that beat us in the playoffs recently and which gives us lots of trouble. plus holtby is still a wild card, as millbury said 1 good series doesnt mean hes a seasoned playoff performer. i think avoiding pens/flyers in the 2nd round is huge, playing the flyers in the 2nd round would be a bloodbath.

Old
04-25-2012, 10:26 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by corduroyg View Post
rangers-caps will be the same type of series as bruins-caps was. close, low scoring, defensive games. ill take my chances in those type of games. this isnt the same type of high flying up and down caps team that beat us in the playoffs recently and which gives us lots of trouble. plus holtby is still a wild card, as millbury said 1 good series doesnt mean hes a seasoned playoff performer. i think avoiding pens/flyers in the 2nd round is huge, playing the flyers in the 2nd round would be a bloodbath.
This is probably the most truth. The only good thing about facing the caps, its not as physically taxing as it could be.

But then again, the only way the Rangers will win this series is by dictating the physical play(Boston didn't play physical at all). We can't out skill the Caps.

Old
04-25-2012, 10:27 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
People keep on saying this and its not really true. Ottawa and Washington don't really play the same game. Washington doesn't really have a physical edge in their bottom 6. They don't take as many chances as Ottawa on the transition. They don't forecheck.

They are a better opponent than Ottawa. But the problems we are going to have with Washington are not going to be the same as Ottawa(other than difficulty scoring).
Completely agreed. Karlsson and Gonchar is giving our team fits with their pin-point accurate BB's from the point and their ability to rush the puck up the ice while holding the blue line. Washington doesn't really have that kind of player except maybe Green, and he has been a shell of himself at least offensively.

Old
04-25-2012, 10:31 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Completely agreed. Karlsson and Gonchar is giving our team fits with their pin-point accurate BB's from the point and their ability to rush the puck up the ice while holding the blue line. Washington doesn't really have that kind of player except maybe Green, and he has been a shell of himself at least offensively.
Yep, but Washington is far better at defending their net. They have better forwards, are more lethal on the puck possession cycle.

Washington also knows how to control the neutral zone FAR better than Ottawa who leaves MASSIVE GAPS.

In order to beat Washington the Rangers will have to constantly beat them up in the corners in the O zone. Its pretty much are only chance, unless our PP suddenly explodes.

Old
04-25-2012, 10:42 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Just a reminder we need to win tomorrow to play the Caps.

Old
04-25-2012, 10:46 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Totally true. The only thing that changes for me is that I want Florida to kill the Devils tomorrow.

Old
04-25-2012, 10:47 PM
Onion Boy

Yikes, I'd be so mad if our season ended in a goal like that.

Should have been waived off for goalie interference (penalty not necessary).

Old
04-25-2012, 10:51 PM
MDL8981

Pittsburgh and Boston both out....wow. If we lose tommorrow, we're wasting a glorious opportunity to do something special in this playoff run.

Old
04-25-2012, 10:55 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Damn, I completely forgot about that. I thought we already advanced

Old
04-25-2012, 10:56 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDL8981 View Post
Pittsburgh and Boston both out....wow. If we lose tommorrow, we're wasting a glorious opportunity to do something special in this playoff run.
To be fair, its not going to get any easier with the Caps.

Old
04-25-2012, 10:59 PM
SnowblindNYR

You guys are making it sound like the Caps are the best team in the league. If we face them it'll be a struggle, because with this offense it'll always be a struggle but it's not some foregone conclusion that it'd be a loss or even a tougher series than the Sens series.

Old
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:

Old
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
From one glass half empty fan to another, nice to know you.
Nahh your only glass half empty when it comes to Marc Staal

Other than that you seem moderately glass half full.

GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDL8981 View Post
No playoff run is or ever will be EASY.

Old
04-25-2012, 11:00 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
You guys are making it sound like the Caps are the best team in the league. If we face them it'll be a struggle, because with this offense it'll always be a struggle but it's not some foregone conclusion that it'd be a lose or even a tougher series than the Sens series.
No one is saying we have no chance(thats just silly). But I don't expect it to be a short series.

Old
04-25-2012, 11:00 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

If we win....I want the devils to advance. Personally feel devils are a tougher matchup for the flyers than the panthers. Flyers would roll right through the panthers, devil might push them a little more. Either way I think we could be on a collision course with the flyers in the ECF, which would be so storybook and fitting considering this whole season was based on us vs them and the classic. Also in 94 w were 6-0 vs the devils and ended up facing them in the ECF...(this yr 6-0 vs division rival flyers)

Old
04-25-2012, 11:02 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
If we win....I want the devils to advance. Personally feel devils are a tougher matchup for the flyers than the panthers. Flyers would roll right through the panthers, devil might push them a little more. Either way I think we could be on a collision course with the flyers in the ECF, which would be so storybook and fitting considering this whole season was based on us vs them and the classic. Also in 94 w were 6-0 vs the devils and ended up facing them in the ECF.
Devils/Flyers would be a more physical series. But I still think the Flyers probably sweep or make short work of either team. Brodeur can't handle the flyers offense at all. He would be falling all over himself.

I want Florida to win tomorrow.

Old
04-25-2012, 11:02 PM
SnowblindNYR

Anyway, a couple of bounces go our way and we sweep Ottawa. If we win against Ottawa and a defenseman for the Caps kicks a puck into his own net, maybe we win that series too and maybe it doesn't even go the distance.

Old
04-25-2012, 11:12 PM
corduroyg

Quote:
To be fair, its not going to get any easier with the Caps.

you dont think the caps in the 2nd round is easier than the pens? flyers did us a huge favor.

Closed Thread