HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All post-game/end of season talk here PART II

Old
04-22-2012, 05:57 PM
Ominous Grey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Pretty sure Tippet isn't signed through this year due to the whole Phoenix situation. If they move to Quebec, new management might want a French speaking coach or their own guy, leaving Tippet his choice of jobs.

Hey, look how he worked with Bryz and Mike Smith, some food for thought.
Don't get me hoping for that. I won't be able to deal with the letdown.

The damage we could do with that man as coach....it would be ludicrous.

Ominous Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku11 View Post
Babcock=ideal . He would get twice out of this D than Bylsma does.
And twice out of Sid and Geno. Although Tippett would too . . .

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

This was a wasted opportunity. Last year was down to injuries. The year before Fleury sucked, some vets got too old and we might have been fatigued after two final runs.

This season, once the playoffs rolled around, we had no excuses. We ought to have been better, and in that light all the troubles some of us have talked about for a those past two seasons as well came to the fore again.

Individual ass-hattery on D was clearly a factor and Fleury being his 'retarded at the worst times' self surely didn't help, but the main culprit is Bylsma for total absence of ability to playoff coach - ie. adjust to what is being thrown at you by the opposition before games or make adjustments in-game. Again.

Delightful fella in many ways, but to me a very much overrated coach. I hope Shero sacks him, or we have to start putting the spotlight on Shero himself. Another great character, has done some fine trades and re-signings, but his free agency moves has show themselves to be giant failures in the main.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 05:58 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku11 View Post
Babcock=ideal . He would get twice out of this D than Bylsma does.
Is Babcock not signed for next year?

leafspensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 05:59 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Don't count on that. Aren't Meloche and Mario tight? ****, Pens even drafted his son late one year.

Though I don't really know if it's fair to hold Meloche responsible for some of the stuff Fleury does.
Don't know about Mario and Meloche. And, frankly it's not fair to hold Meloche responsible for everything Fleury does. Same goes for Bylsma and the rest of the team. But, at some point, you've got to hold them responsible for some of it and make a change. Just let me know what the quota is on 'lost seasons', and I'll hold off making further coaching objections until then.

Old
04-22-2012, 06:02 PM
SidTheKid8787

I'm not really pissed at anything other than the none adjustments after game 1. Hell, even after game 2. Throwing the same D-core out there and praying for games 2 and 3 was just horrible management.

I've moved on. Anyone think Neal would accept an invite to the World's? I'd love to see him play over there.

ETA: And Letang for that matter. Have to think they'd both be invited.

SidTheKid8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 06:03 PM
Woodrow
I hate yo-yo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
Is Babcock not signed for next year?
I believe he signed a four year extension in 2010.

Woodrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 06:04 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
I'm not really pissed at anything other than the none adjustments after game 1. Hell, even after game 2. Throwing the same D-core out there and praying for games 2 and 3 was just horrible management.

I've moved on. Anyone think Neal would accept an invite to the World's? I'd love to see him play over there.
He did last year so I'm guessing unless he's injured or just exhausted, he'd accept. He and Geno can take the same plane

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 06:05 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Hats off, folks. The score may have gotten away today, but the Penguins didn't go away, and the first two games could have went either way as well. Won't say too much as to not come across the wrong way, so I'll just say I'm very sure Ray Shero will make the appropriate decisions and adjustments to have the Penguins among the Cup favorites once again next year. The rivalry will continue to be among the best in the league.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 06:05 PM
SidTheKid8787

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
He did last year so I'm guessing unless he's injured or just exhausted, he'd accept. He and Geno can take the same plane
Yea, i just edited my post. Love to see Tanger go too. But he's had a tough season physically.

Old
04-22-2012, 06:06 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepper View Post
I believe he signed a four year extension in 2010.
that's what I thought, so what legitimate chance is there of us getting him o_O , no way in hell he gets fired, Tippet I understand but how in the world would we get Babcock?

Old
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

You know, if we move Martin, Z and Orpik that will be the second overhaul of the defense in as many seasons. I can't help but think ownership will have to question that. Burkle may have a bit of a playboy reputation, but you don't get to be a self-made billionaire by having no business acumen.

How can HCDB and his staff still have the confidence of management and ownership? Honestly, I'd be surprised if they have the confidence of the team itself. It's not like this train derailed unexpectedly. The indications were there all season, and the whistle was screaming by the end.

So, to me, there seems to be two paths.

If HCDB and staff still has the confidence of the team overall, then considering that the team as built has spent so little time on the ice together the last two seasons ... then I can see Bylsma getting another year. That will require being fully committed to his system, and that will mean changes to the roster to acquire the type of D who will thrive in it, rather than constantly being exposed. And (not that I think that's the case) it would allow them to move any dissenters within the ranks.

If HCDB and staff has lost the room and/or the confidence of management and ownership, then there really is no other choice but to replace him and his staff. If they choose that path, roster changes may be put on hold until they see what will work for the new coaching system. Martin, Orpik and Z and not bad defensemen, one really ****** season doesn't negate what they've done so far in their careers. Especially when comparing last season to this one.

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Hit the brakes. What I said-- and I'm sorry if it didn't come through-- is that I can't imagine Malkin being too thrilled if the Pens plan for next year is 'status quo, maybe move Martin'. Then again, I also said that's also a tougher sell with Sid and Staal this summer to ask them to take less. Doesn't mean anyone's unhappy, but you know the old saying about the grass always being greener. Wouldn't it seem more likely that one could think that if it the pitch is 'coaches are great, give Martin a do over, make some tweaks'?
KIRK, come on...the posts are right there, it's not me misreading anything. You said that losing Malkin was a legitimate concern, and then trotted out some baloney about going to Russia if he wanted more money or going to a different team if the Pens' moves this year didn't satisfy him.

It's totally unsubstantiated. Malkin has never stated or implied anything of the sort.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Saku11

Quote:

ETA: And Letang for that matter. Have to think they'd both be invited.
Crosby too please!! He has played so little hockey this season that the dude should have lots of energy. I root for Canada if my country loses and Sid would help Canada a great deal.

Saku11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 06:08 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Hats off, folks. The score may have gotten away today, but the Penguins didn't go away, and the first two games could have went either way as well. Won't say too much as to not come across the wrong way, so I'll just say I'm very sure Ray Shero will make the appropriate decisions and adjustments to have the Penguins among the Cup favorites once again next year. The rivalry will continue to be among the best in the league.
Classiest Philly fan I've seen all day (unless you were the dude that posted the Jagr pic on our board ). I agree it was a pretty good series, this rivalry will continue, congratulations on the win, but I won't be rooting for you at any point brotha .

Old
04-22-2012, 06:08 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Quote:

I think most people who have seen you around know you don't mean to come off the wrong way. Good luck to your Flyers and when I say that I mean not really, but y'know

Quote:
Yea, i just edited my post. Love to see Tanger go too. But he's had a tough season physically.
Yeah, that would be a question mark. Was he ever invited before?

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 06:09 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
This was a wasted opportunity. Last year was down to injuries. The year before Fleury sucked, some vets got too old and we might have been fatigued after two final runs.

This season, once the playoffs rolled around, we had no excuses. We ought to have been better, and in that light all the troubles some of us have talked about for a those past two seasons as well came to the fore again.

Individual ass-hattery on D was clearly a factor and Fleury being his 'retarded at the worst times' self surely didn't help, but the main culprit is Bylsma for total absence of ability to playoff coach - ie. adjust to what is being thrown at you by the opposition before games or make adjustments in-game. Again.

Delightful fella in many ways, but to me a very much overrated coach. I hope Shero sacks him, or we have to start putting the spotlight on Shero himself. Another great character, has done some fine trades and re-signings, but his free agency moves has show themselves to be giant failures in the main.
Thanks for making me chuckle (and for reminding me of the old saying about Scotty Bowman being hated by his players every day of the year except one).

Perhaps it's just too much to expect this organization to have a coach befitting of its talent.

Old
04-22-2012, 06:10 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
KIRK, come on...the posts are right there, it's not me misreading anything. You said that losing Malkin was a legitimate concern, and then trotted out some baloney about going to Russia if he wanted more money or going to a different team if the Pens' moves this year didn't satisfy him.

It's totally unsubstantiated. Malkin has never stated or implied anything of the sort.
Not many players come out about their feelings so publicly, it's not the NBA man...who knows Geno may not be happy, how are we supposed to know?

Old
04-22-2012, 06:11 PM
SidTheKid8787

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post

Yeah, that would be a question mark. Was he ever invited before?
I dunno about invited but he's never played at the Men's Worlds.

Old
FDBluth

Quote:
I don't know why either Crosby or Malkin would come under fire here, honestly.

Martin, Fleury, and Bylsma's inability to adjust lost this series for us, not Crosby or Malkin. They made their usual productive contributions to our scoring, and we scored enough to win. But they can't play defense or goal, or call a timeout when we need one.
One point in the final two games between the two of them isn't good enough, though.

FDBluth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
Not many players come out about their feelings so publicly, it's not the NBA man...who knows Geno may not be happy, how are we supposed to know?
Because he's stated it on many occasions?

It's not like Malkin's been mum on the subject. He's said how much he likes everything about his situation at every opportunity.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 06:12 PM
KIRK

Quote:

And I said the same thing about Sid and Staal perhaps being less willing to take less to stay. It's totally unsubstantiated. And, it's also totally logical to speculate. But, if you want to think that all of them will say 'yes Ray, give me more of the same', if you expect Sid to say 'yeah, I'll play with **** wingers so you can have Paul Martin', if you expect Staal to say 'yeah, I love being used almost exclusively as a third center and not substaintially as a top six offensive threat', and if you expect something comparable from Geno, then more power too you.

Quote:
Because he's stated it on many occasions?

It's not like Malkin's been mum on the subject. He's said how much he likes everything about his situation at every opportunity.
He's also talked about how much he likes to win and how badly he wants another cup. Perhaps he, unlike you, might come to see the status quo as making that more, not less, difficult.

Old
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 934
So who here besides me has shaved their playoff beards off?

My neck feels so much better. I bet it would thank me if it could talk.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Clarence Beeks

Quote:
I'm not as confident of that. He's shown a significant tendency to have no concern with signing or re-signing exactly the type of players that would have made the difference in a series like this one.

Clarence Beeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 06:13 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Pretty sure Tippet isn't signed through this year due to the whole Phoenix situation. If they move to Quebec, new management might want a French speaking coach or their own guy, leaving Tippet his choice of jobs.

Hey, look how he worked with Bryz and Mike Smith, some food for thought.
From:Malkin easy choice for Hart + 30 Thoughts By Elliotte Friedman Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Quote:
8. There's been a lot written/said about how Dave Tippett could join Ryan Suter and Zach Parise as one of the NHL's hottest free agents, depending on what happens with Phoenix. Didn't realize that Tippett has one more year left on his contract, which could complicate things. But, if the team moves and he doesn't go with it, he vaults to No. 1 on a lot coaching vacancy lists. If the Coyotes stay, bet on an extension.

9. Tippett isn't the only current coach who teams will wait on. Depending on playoff results, there are some other respected guys who may become available. Couple of years ago, young AHL coaches were all the rage. And, there are some who will get consideration (Dallas Eakins, Todd Nelson, Jon Cooper). But, will the success this year of Ken Hitchcock, Paul MacLean and Kirk Muller make NHL experience a more important asset? That would be good news for Mike Sullivan, Craig MacTavish, Bob Hartley, Jim Playfair and Peter Horachek. (Gerard Gallant could be a possibility, too).
According to Elliotte Friedman, Tippett is under contract for another year.

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote