HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burke's theory about finishing 8th and just making the playoffs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-22-2012, 07:04 PM
  #26
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North
 
blasted_Sabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Muskoka
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,926
vCash: 500
Some FACTS

An 8th seed hasnt ever won the cup

Only one 8th seed has ever reached the finals

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 07:07 PM
  #27
JackJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,360
vCash: 500
Just another BS comment from a long list of poor excuses. Can't wait until we close the book on this buffoon and move on to the next management group.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 07:07 PM
  #28
S2S
Come at me bros
 
S2S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,862
vCash: 500
Funny, the people whining in this thread would also be whining had he made those types of trades. So if he did or didn't make those types of deals, either way its a **** show.

"Burke didn't trade picks and prospects to get in the playoffs, grrrrr"

"Burke traded our picks and prospects to get in the playoffs, grrrrr"

S2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 07:09 PM
  #29
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,756
vCash: 500
Who cares what Burke says anymore? At some point he'll just have to either a) deliver the right changes or b) the moves he's made have to start paying off. There's so much quoting, analysis and rhetoric in this town and then other franchises simply go out and do it.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 07:14 PM
  #30
eyeball11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
For the last two years Brain Burke has said he could have made some trades that could have got the Leafs into 8th place, however as we all know he doesn't want them to finish 8th and lose 4 straight games in the 1st round. However when you look at the playoffs this year is he wrong about that?

In the Eastern Conference the Ottawa Senators who finished 8th in the Eastern Conference are up 3-2 on the 1st place New York Rangers. Plus the Washington Capitals who finished 7th in the Eastern Conference are going to game 7 against the 2nd place Boston Bruins.

In the Western Conference the 8th place Los Angeles Kinds are up 3-1 on the 1st place Vancouver Canucks and have a chance to win that series tonight.

So considering that the top teams can be beat by those who finished 7th and 8th, is Burke wrong when he said how just getting into the 8th place and getting killed will always happen. Looking at this years stats that's not true.
How many times does this need to be covered? He isn't saying lower seeded teams can't beat higher seeded teams. He's saying he doesn't see the point in trading away futures for vets to squeak him in and likely not win.

I forget whether it is a 21 or a 24 team league but aside from the shortened season, no team seeded below 4 (conference) has won the Cup. Many teams have made it, none have won it. Is it possible? Yes. Likely? So far, no.

Why do I have the feeling that the same people who hone in on this concept are the same ones advocating tanking and building through picks but not seeing that that is what he is getting at.....not trading his futures for short term vets.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 07:15 PM
  #31
Drew311
Play Me
 
Drew311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
I want the same thing to happen. However the point is that once you get into playoffs and anything can happen.

Remember the 2001 Maple Leafs team that finished 7th in the Eastern Conference and had to play Ottawa in the 1st round, who beat us five straight times in that regular season. The Leafs sweep them and if it wasn't for some bad luck against New Jersey in the 2nd round I thought the Leafs would have made the Finals that year.
You really think "anything can happen" with Gustavsson and Reimer in net?

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 07:19 PM
  #32
hotpaws
Registered User
 
hotpaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,571
vCash: 1000
Burke said last year as well and he then he went out and picked up a couple of vets in the summer ( JML/TC ) . The team then went from the 9th worst to the 5th worst and he comes out with the same **** again .

The blowhard has to start coming out with some new material because the pesent crap is getting tired .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 07:20 PM
  #33
hotpaws
Registered User
 
hotpaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,571
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
You really think "anything can happen" with Gustavsson and Reimer in net?
If they were so bad why did Burke put his faith in them this year ?

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 07:33 PM
  #34
eyeball11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
Burke said last year as well and he then he went out and picked up a couple of vets in the summer ( JML/TC ) . The team then went from the 9th worst to the 5th worst and he comes out with the same **** again .

The blowhard has to start coming out with some new material because the pesent crap is getting tired .
Apparently the concept of moving assets versus not moving assets eludes you?

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 07:37 PM
  #35
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North
 
blasted_Sabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Muskoka
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
If they were so bad why did Burke put his faith in them this year ?

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 07:39 PM
  #36
Drew311
Play Me
 
Drew311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
If they were so bad why did Burke put his faith in them this year ?
Reimer showed he could be a starter last season, and he got drilled by Gionta about 5 games into this season. Then Gustavsson came in and played really well until about January. Then everything fell apart. What exactly should Burke have done in February? How many options were available at that point in the season?

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 07:42 PM
  #37
beauchamp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
How many times does this need to be covered? He isn't saying lower seeded teams can't beat higher seeded teams. He's saying he doesn't see the point in trading away futures for vets to squeak him in and likely not win.

I forget whether it is a 21 or a 24 team league but aside from the shortened season, no team seeded below 4 (conference) has won the Cup. Many teams have made it, none have won it. Is it possible? Yes. Likely? So far, no.

Why do I have the feeling that the same people who hone in on this concept are the same ones advocating tanking and building through picks but not seeing that that is what he is getting at.....not trading his futures for short term vets.
He's probably (almost surely) using the correct strategy.

But why does he need to tell the suffering fans "I could have made the playoffs if I had wanted to!"?

Just to hear his own voice?

beauchamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 07:42 PM
  #38
dirk41
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Burke is basically saying he'd rather see his team in the bottom 4 spots than barely scrapping in at 8th. Can you blame him?
fixed your post

dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 07:44 PM
  #39
hotpaws
Registered User
 
hotpaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,571
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
Apparently the concept of moving assets versus not moving assets eludes you?
Moving the goal posts .

WTF does it matter if he moved assets or not ( he did move a 2nd for JML ) . He said last year he could have made the playoffs if he picked up a vet or two . He then went out in the offseason and picked up these vets . The result was that the team finished worse then the previous season so why does anyone believe picking up vets would gaurentee us the playoffs when we performed worse when he did pick up vets ?

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 07:46 PM
  #40
hotpaws
Registered User
 
hotpaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,571
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Why are you showing me this when Drew was the one knocking them ?

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 07:47 PM
  #41
hotpaws
Registered User
 
hotpaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,571
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Reimer showed he could be a starter last season, and he got drilled by Gionta about 5 games into this season. Then Gustavsson came in and played really well until about January. Then everything fell apart. What exactly should Burke have done in February? How many options were available at that point in the season?
You were the one slagging our goalies not me so why now are you defending them and Burke for his faith in them ?

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 07:47 PM
  #42
Confucius
Registered User
 
Confucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,555
vCash: 500
Why did he trade for Kessel then? He thought we were that good to go deep in the playoffs?

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 07:49 PM
  #43
Aplayaz2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,493
vCash: 500
cause if your team is inconsistent and just makes the 8th seed, they can either make the 8th seed again next season or just bust

like the Habs

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 07:55 PM
  #44
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
The blowhard has to start coming out with some new material because the pesent crap is getting tired .
Lol, QFT.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 07:55 PM
  #45
anderson3133
Registered User
 
anderson3133's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
Why did he trade for Kessel then? He thought we were that good to go deep in the playoffs?
Yeah that must be it. It couldn't have been the fact that he was a 21 year old player coming off of a 36 goal season

anderson3133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 07:59 PM
  #46
hotpaws
Registered User
 
hotpaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,571
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson3133 View Post
Yeah that must be it. It couldn't have been the fact that he was a 21 year old player coming off of a 36 goal season
So if he walks an UFA before we make the playoffs was that also part of the plan ?

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 08:02 PM
  #47
anderson3133
Registered User
 
anderson3133's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
So if he walks an UFA before we make the playoffs was that also part of the plan ?
Why do you guys torture yourselves over things like this? He has 2 years until his contract is finished and they are eligible to sign him starting next summer.

Don't you have better things to do on a Sunday evening than worry about some unlikely scenario 2 years from now?

anderson3133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 08:06 PM
  #48
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
Moving the goal posts .

WTF does it matter if he moved assets or not ( he did move a 2nd for JML ) . He said last year he could have made the playoffs if he picked up a vet or two . He then went out in the offseason and picked up these vets . The result was that the team finished worse then the previous season so why does anyone believe picking up vets would gaurentee us the playoffs when we performed worse when he did pick up vets ?
Yes, he added JML and ML and TC, but we also lost Beauch, Kaberle and Versteeg from the 9th worst team the year prior. It's not like we only added.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 08:07 PM
  #49
hotpaws
Registered User
 
hotpaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,571
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
Lol, QFT.
A discussion about Burke and look who pops up . Shocking

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 08:09 PM
  #50
hotpaws
Registered User
 
hotpaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,571
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
Yes, he added JML and ML and TC, but we also lost Beauch, Kaberle and Versteeg from the 9th worst team the year prior. It's not like we only added.
I was told all the players we trade are usesless peices of crap .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.