HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burke's theory about finishing 8th and just making the playoffs

Old
04-29-2012, 11:29 PM
anderson3133

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
Just goes to show that what you said is not an universal truth.

And thanks for the by claiming Bruce Boudreau as part of your retort...
Bruce's Accomplishments:
Jack Adams Award
Calder Cup Trophy
President's Trophy

It's not like the guy is a bum.

anderson3133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 11:32 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
Beauchamp is pulling a Beauchamp tonight. Read through a thread, 24 hours later and correct every post he found wrong.
As I said earlier, I'm sorry if you missed me ( ) but I was playing bridge this weekend and will be playing this week (Canadian Bridge Championships to represent Canada in the World Championships in France next August).

And don't you want to have the right facts if you want to hold an open and honest discussion?

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 11:35 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
As I said earlier, I'm sorry if you missed me ( ) but I was playing bridge this weekend and will be playing this week (Canadian Bridge Championships to represent Canada in the World Championships in France next August).

And don't you want to have the right facts if you want to hold an open and honest discussion?
Do you contend that Greening did not compete in 24 NHL games last season?

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 11:35 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson3133 View Post
Bruce's Accomplishments:
Jack Adams Award
Calder Cup Trophy
President's Trophy

It's not like the guy is a bum.
But still, he is Bruce Boudreau...

Old
04-29-2012, 11:37 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
Do you contend that Greening did not compete in 24 NHL games last season?
Do you contend that he was not a rookie this year, as someone insinuated (might have been you, but damned wine)?

Old
04-30-2012, 07:41 AM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Do you contend that he was not a rookie this year, as someone insinuated (might have been you, but damned wine)?
Word games don't change facts. For the entire time the former 2005 7th round prospect has been in the Sens' system, he, like the rest of their prospects, has benefitted from the stability that they enjoy due to a solid veteran core. Prospects can be developed naturally without having to rush them into the lineup prematurely. Whether he was technically a rookie or not, the guy drafted in seven years ago played 24 NHL games last year. Calling this his rookie season is misleading, whether you want to claim it it is or not. He hardly went from the draft to the big club. He has been groomed since 2005. Thats what a stable core allows you to do.

Last edited by Chairman Maouth: 04-30-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old
04-30-2012, 08:26 AM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Quote:
Whether he was technically a rookie or not, the guy drafted in seven years ago played 24 NHL games last year. Calling this his rookie season is misleading, whether you want to claim it it is or not. He hardly went from the draft to the big club. He has been groomed since 2005. Thats what a stable core allows you to do.
The correct answer is "yes, he is a rookie; however, he is not a young kid, or a pro hockey virgin."

He got his four years in the ECAC. He put up 83 pro games (24 NHL) before this season. At age 25 (ten days older than our own Tyler Bozak), and having not played 25 or more NHL games in 2010-2011 (his only season with NHL play prior to this one), he is, by definition, a rookie. Beauchamp is certainly trying to play the semantics game, and he's going to get you on that, so you might as well hedge your bets and try to make a statement he can't try to play wordsmith with. :p

Espher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2012, 09:25 AM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espher View Post
The correct answer is "yes, he is a rookie; however, he is not a young kid, or a pro hockey virgin."

He got his four years in the ECAC. He put up 83 pro games (24 NHL) before this season. At age 25 (ten days older than our own Tyler Bozak), and having not played 25 or more NHL games in 2010-2011 (his only season with NHL play prior to this one), he is, by definition, a rookie. Beauchamp is certainly trying to play the semantics game, and he's going to get you on that, so you might as well hedge your bets and try to make a statement he can't try to play wordsmith with. :p

...a rookie by the slimmest of definitions. And definitions don't matter a damn in this case, because the fact remains, that he was nurtured for years in the Sens's system, watched by scouts even after the draft, and climbed the ranks over time, as opposed to being rammed through due to lack of depth.

Beauchamp and the contestant that preceded him can play word games together. Im interested in discussing things that actually matter, which are relevant to the conversation. FACT: strong depth and leadership gives any club time to groom their prospects and not rush them. We have no concept of that here, because we have no actual point of reference. Our core group has sucked forever, and is only now coming together. Our prospect pool was weak and guys like Steen, Tlusty Pogge, and others (Schenn?) have been rammed into levels of responsibility they weren't ready for and it has cost us, and them, plenty. Steen has gone on to become a key piece in St Louis to his credit. Aulie is likely going to do the same in Tampa, and we can only hope Schenn starts playing better. For all the talk about his lumbering, laboured skating, half the issue is headspace. Playing in Toronto has that effect on vets and young guys alike. When Beauchemin returned to ANA, Carlyle said it took him almost a month to shake off the effects of being scrutinized constantly in Toronto. Versteeg struggled terribly here under the media microscope, and almost instantly became an impact guy when he moved on. If cup champs like Beauch and Steeger can be so tarnished here by life inside the blue and white bubble, how much worse is it for young guys? Which is why it is even more important to insulate the rookies and young guys with a stable core, especially in Toronto.

Old
04-30-2012, 11:23 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espher View Post

I'm more than trying.

I'm winning (bad form, I know).

But at least someone is acknowledging that I am right.

That's good for the ego, poor thing.

PS: Wordsmith, eh.

Thanks for the compliment, intended or not.

Not shabby for a poor French-Canadian kid from Valleyfield.

Last edited by beauchamp: 05-01-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old
05-01-2012, 12:21 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
I'm more than trying.

I'm winning (bad form, I know).

But at least someone is acknowledging that I am right.

That good for the ego, poor thing.

PS: Wordsmith, eh.

Thanks for the compliment, intended or not.

Not shabby for a poor French-Canadian kid from Valleyfield.
That's very petty behavior from someone who claims to be here because he respects Leaf fans and enjoys intelligent discussions.

Not that I was dumb enough to believe that.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 12:36 AM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
That's very petty behavior from someone who claims to be here because he respects Leaf fans and enjoys intelligent discussions.

Agreed...beating one's chest over a poorly played word game is pretty lame.
Calling a 25 year old drafted 7 years ago who played 24 games thus narrowly qualifying as a 'rookie', and making it the basis for a discussion about how depth enables teams to groom prospects... take a bow Beauchamp... a proud day indeed...

Last edited by TP: 05-01-2012 at 06:49 PM. Reason: mod
Old
05-01-2012, 12:39 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Ug, just when I thought this thread had died.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 06:45 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post

Great sense of humour.

Quote:
Agreed...beating one's chest over a poorly played word game is pretty lame.
Calling a 25 year old drafted 7 years ago who played 24 games thus narrowly qualifying as a 'rookie', and making it the basis for a discussion about how depth enables teams to groom prospects... take a bow Beauchamp... a proud day indeed...
Again, great sense of humour.

Have fun once in a while.

"Admittedly drunk" = a lie. Never heard of hyperbole.

"Prowling the board": hopefully, that's also an hyperbole.

By the way, did I ever say you were wrong in your arguments?

You simply weakened a good argument by falsifying the facts.

A pity.

Last edited by TP: 05-01-2012 at 06:49 PM. Reason: mod