HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burke's theory about finishing 8th and just making the playoffs

Old
04-22-2012, 09:48 PM
Tak7

vCash: 500
People need to realize that just because a player isn't 24 with bags of potential, it doesn't mean he has no value on a team.

This thread seems to have focused on Liles - he was one of the better Leafs before his concussion, & he's great in the room. Why trade him if he still offers a lot for us?

Unless Burke enters full rebuild mode (he isn't), then there's no reason to try and acquire draft picks (who MIGHT become NHL players), for those who are already performing in the league?

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 09:49 PM
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Trading a 2nd round pick for a 31 year old vet in Liles during the summer and hoping to grab a low level playoff spot by sacrificing the future apparently is different then trading a 2nd round pick at the trade deadline according to Burke.

He claims he wouldn't make it at the deadline but has no problem doing it in the summer. Its the same cost and sacrifice for an aging vet only difference is the timing.
Good point. If anything we should be adding additional picks to make up for the fact that we're not tanking.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 09:50 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Don't waste your time. You're debating with a poster who admits his/her dislike for Burke. Regardless of the topic, it will always sway to the negative towards Burke and management due to his/her extreme bias.
And i'm debating with posters who will defend or spin every move Burke makes because for some reason they believe Burke is more important than the Leafs .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 09:50 PM
TheSilencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
You're right that teams who finished in those positions have never won a Cup. However the 2006 Oilers finished 8th in the Western Conference and made Stanley Cup Finals. There was also the 2010 Flyers who finished 7th in the Eastern Conference and made the Stanley Cup Finals.
1. No one expected the Oilers to make it that far and it shocked the whole world. That's why they refer to that cup run as their "cinderella run". I don't think you can blame Burke for not banking on a Cinderella run.

2. Prior to the 2010 season, Flyers were considered serious contenders by many hockey analysts. Yes they finished 7th to make it to the playoffs, but it really wasn't shocking that Flyers made it to the Finals that year. Again, Flyers were a great team that was supposed to do great things but just had a poor season that year.

.....We just suck. There's a difference.

Yes, Ottawa's doing great this year. But, they have a #1 Center, a young #1 Defenseman and a very serviceable Goalie.

We don't have any of those pieces.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 09:51 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
Why would JML's value be more now than when we traded for him ?

Why would his value go up considering the year he had and with a new long term deal ?
1 year at $4.25

Or

4 years at $3.85

4 or 5 posts above you were concerned Kessel's value would go down as he gets closer to UFA. Does that not work the same way here?

Or are the rules different when it suits?

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 09:55 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
1 year at $4.25

Or

4 years at $3.85

4 or 5 posts above you were concerned Kessel's value would go down as he gets closer to UFA. Does that not work the same way here?

Or are the rules different when it suits?
The rules are different because of his age , you know this but your job is to spin , not to have an honest discussion .

Old
04-22-2012, 09:57 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilencer View Post
1. No one expected the Oilers to make it that far and it shocked the whole world. That's why they refer to that cup run as their "cinderella run". I don't think you can blame Burke for not banking on a Cinderella run.

2. Prior to the 2010 season, Flyers were considered serious contenders by many hockey analysts. Yes they finished 7th to make it to the playoffs, but it really wasn't shocking that Flyers made it to the Finals that year. Again, Flyers were a great team that was supposed to do great things but just had a poor season that year.

.....We just suck. There's a difference.

Yes, Ottawa's doing great this year. But, they have a #1 Center, a young #1 Defenseman and a very serviceable Goalie.
We don't have any of those pieces.
Burkie's new plan is to build from his wings in and back . He gets extra street cred for his out of the box building .

Old
04-22-2012, 10:03 PM
anderson3133

Quote:
You really do like to ignore the obvious don't you . If you actually think that GM's only look to the next season then i don't know what to say .
Of course they do. I'm asking YOU why you are worrying about something two years from now.

I'm not questioning any GMs, if you haven't noticed.

anderson3133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 10:08 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Trading a 2nd round pick for a 31 year old vet in Liles during the summer and hoping to grab a low level playoff spot by sacrificing the future apparently is different then trading a 2nd round pick at the trade deadline according to Burke.
The 2012 2nd round pick Burke used to get Liles is the one the Leafs got from Boston in the Kaberle trade, because they had mad the Stanley Cup Finals last year and that was one of the conditions for the Leafs to get it. Does Burke make that trade for Liles without that pick I don't know, however at least he didn't give up the Leafs own 2012 2nd round pick.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 10:10 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Another goal post shift .

Kessel will either walk or get a huge deal , pick your poison .
That's the same thing for any good young player.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 10:13 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
Good point. If anything we should be adding additional picks to make up for the fact that we're not tanking.
Burke is buying vets on credit instead, as he is still paying out future draft picks for Liles, Steckel and Lombardi etc for a Leafs season that saw his team finish 5th from the bottom.

04-22-2012, 10:14 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
The rules are different because of his age , you know this but your job is to spin , not to have an honest discussion .
If you don't trust my opinions as being honest, I strongly suggest you add me to your ignore list. This really is out of hand with you my friend. I've been on this board for 48 hours in the last few months and 6-7 days in total since Christmas. And several posts I've made you've made smart ass comments about or been downright rude.

I have opinions that differ from you on somethings but are exactly alike with others but all you do is jump on everything I say, whether I agree with you or not.

Why you so mad bro? I've had lengthy discussions with mods for what I expect and what is expected of me. I'm not here to argue with you and I'd appreciate if you'd lighten up a bit. My opinions are real, and not sone sort of spin to get you going.

Old
04-22-2012, 10:17 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
People need to realize that just because a player isn't 24 with bags of potential, it doesn't mean he has no value on a team.

This thread seems to have focused on Liles - he was one of the better Leafs before his concussion, & he's great in the room. Why trade him if he still offers a lot for us?

Unless Burke enters full rebuild mode (he isn't), then there's no reason to try and acquire draft picks (who MIGHT become NHL players), for those who are already performing in the league?
I don't care about the overall age of the team nor do i need the entire team to be under a certain age . IMO you need a mix of players and quality vets are important for team success . The only time age comes into it is when you're looking at the age of the core of the team compared to what they can accomplish .

I wanted JML traded because i don't know where he fits in . If DP is on the 1st pair and Gardiner is on the 2nd , where does that leave JML ? He's not an ideal partner for either of them so that leaves him on the 3rd pair . 4 mil on the 3rd pair seems like a waste of cap space .

Old
04-22-2012, 10:19 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson3133 View Post
Of course they do. I'm asking YOU why you are worrying about something two years from now.

I'm not questioning any GMs, if you haven't noticed.
This is a hockey forum , i guess you missed that .

Last edited by hotpaws: 04-22-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old
04-22-2012, 10:23 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
Thats true and thats why i'm saying Burke has to get a read on the situation and act accordingly . I'm not saying i want Kessel traded but if Burke feels he either won't resign or if he feels his contract demands will be unacceptable then now is the best time to deal him .

Old
04-22-2012, 10:25 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Kings and Sens just screwed over his theory.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 10:28 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
No they didn't.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 10:38 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Both of these teams would sweep the Leafs in a playoff series. We could maybe win one against Ottawa.

Drew311 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 10:43 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
If you don't trust my opinions as being honest, I strongly suggest you add me to your ignore list. This really is out of hand with you my friend. I've been on this board for 48 hours in the last few months and 6-7 days in total since Christmas. And several posts I've made you've made smart ass comments about or been downright rude.

I have opinions that differ from you on somethings but are exactly alike with others but all you do is jump on everything I say, whether I agree with you or not.

Why you so mad bro? I've had lengthy discussions with mods for what I expect and what is expected of me. I'm not here to argue with you and I'd appreciate if you'd lighten up a bit. My opinions are real, and not sone sort of spin to get you going.
I don't get upset nor do i need to add people to the ignore list .

I don't trust your opinions as being honest because when you start for example comparing the JML situation to Kessel's when you know full well the difference or when you seem to feel the need to defend Burke's every more it sends the message that you're either trolling or have another agenda . Since you post to much to troll that just leaves the other option .

You haven't been on this board but you went to the main boards and did the same thing there . Funny that you came back and now thebluemachine hasn't been around . Just sayin .

Also , why would you have lenghty discussions with mods ? The rules are laid out clearly .

Old
04-22-2012, 10:55 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
You haven't been on this board but you went to the main boards and did the same thing there . Funny that you came back and now thebluemachine hasn't been around . Just sayin .
I had a discussion with bluemachine earlier today, in the Eklund thread. Go check it out.

Old
04-22-2012, 10:57 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Say that when they win the Cup.

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 11:01 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Also , why would you have lenghty discussions with mods ? The rules are laid out clearly .
That is none of your business. There is nothing against those rules. And FTR I came back because certain other posters are no longer here.

And while bluemachine and I have similar views and we both live on islands, we are not the same person. Although we did once win a championship together.

Old
04-22-2012, 11:03 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
Say that when they win the Cup.
Burke didn't say he didn't want to finish 8th because 8th place teams don't win the cup . H said he didn't want to finish 8th and get swept in 4 .

Both the Sens and Kings did disprove his rant .

Old
04-22-2012, 11:19 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Burke didn't say he didn't want to finish 8th because 8th place teams don't win the cup . H said he didn't want to finish 8th and get swept in 4 .

Both the Sens and Kings did disprove his rant .
All the time you spend accusing people of spinning and this is what you pull out? Come on man are you really this jaded to twist and turn Burke's intensions this much?

Burke wants to build a long term contender here, not a cinderella story shot in the dark. He's got a long way to go to reach his goal, but moving numerous young assets to help this team in the short term, and forget about the future is not what he's trying to do.

Old
04-22-2012, 11:19 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
Met Kessel...Unbelievable shy kid!!!!!...He is just getting adjusted to a big city and maybe loves it here!!!

Has stated he would love to finish his career here!!! Why did he choose the Leafs in the first place???

Is he a Life long Leaf fan??
Has become best friends with Dion( watch some vids) they make fun of each other!!!

Loves the city! (how can any player not?)

Best Player on the Leafs...Bar none!!!

Why do people on here have a hate for Kessel?? Love the guy!!!

Ahhh now I remember...Seguin!!!!

As I HAVE SEEN IN MY LIFETIME..SEGUIN....I'd LIKE TO SAY...I HAVE SEEN THE BEST OF THE BEST....SEGUIN IS "NO WHERE NEAR THE TALENT OF KESSEL"

Seguin is no where near the best of the best! Kessel is!!!!

Last edited by OlderTimer*: 04-22-2012 at 11:29 PM.
OlderTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote