HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burke's theory about finishing 8th and just making the playoffs

Old
04-23-2012, 12:20 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
Burke didn't say he didn't want to finish 8th because 8th place teams don't win the cup . H said he didn't want to finish 8th and get swept in 4 .

Both the Sens and Kings did disprove his rant .
He's also repeatedly said he's in the business to win cups. 8th place teams don't win cups.

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:24 AM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

What do you expect him to do? Admit that he is completely incompetent?

Pilky01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:28 AM
hotpaws

vCash: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
He's also repeatedly said he's in the business to win cups. 8th place teams don't win cups.
He also said missing the playoffs is like getting kicked in the nuts . Maybe he's starting to like it and thats why we're always on the outside looking in ?

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:29 AM
HenryH

People still don't understand what Burke is saying. He does not want to trade away young future assets for short term success just for the sake of making the playoffs. He is not trying to build a playoff team, he is trying to build a stanley cup contender. It is going to take a long time to do so. Leafs have a lot of young assets brought in with a few stop-gap players and it might take a while to develop them.

HenryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:33 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Reporter:
"Do you feel you need a playoff spot to begin building? I think people are frustrated that you dont have those marks on the board."

Burke;
"This notion of making the playoffs we could have made the playoffs last year, we could have made the playoffs this year, we could have traded this first round pick, gotten a thirty-year-old, somehow squeaked in. Im not interested in making the playoffs unless its part of a championship. That is the goal. Not to get in in the eighth spot, get your ass kicked, and stand up here and say yeah, we were in the playoffs."

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:36 AM
Eb
TML

Quote:
Burke didn't say he didn't want to finish 8th because 8th place teams don't win the cup . H said he didn't want to finish 8th and get swept in 4 .

Both the Sens and Kings did disprove his rant .
Lol one of the more hypocritical comments I have seen you post here hotpaws.

You are the first one to call someone out on "spinning" someone's words, well here, you spun Burke's words magnificently.

Eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:38 AM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
He also said missing the playoffs is like getting kicked in the nuts . Maybe he's starting to like it and thats why we're always on the outside looking in ?

Every GM I can remember since 1967 traded away Youth for a quick fix...is that what you want??? Burke is NOT doing that!!!

OlderTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:43 AM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb View Post
Lol one of the more hypocritical comments I have seen you post here hotpaws.

You are the first one to call someone out on "spinning" someone's words, well here, you spun Burke's words magnificently.
Those were pretty much his exact words as quoted above your post by Petes Meat .

Or what Burke is really saying is the first time we make the playoffs under him we are guareanteed to make a long playoff run and we will be legit cup contenders .

Old
04-23-2012, 12:47 AM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderTimer View Post
Every GM I can remember since 1967 traded away Youth for a quick fix...is that what you want??? Burke is NOT doing that!!!
ASK BURKE WHY HE SAID MISSING THE PLAYOFFS IS LIKE BEING KICKED IN THE NUTS BECAUSE I DIDN'T SAY IT .

We all have a caps key .

Also if you really believe Kessel is the best of the best you should really start watching the rest of the league A LOT MORE .

Old
04-23-2012, 12:49 AM
Tie Domi Esquire
;;

Not a good comparison since neither team sacrificed young pieces just to get in. Kings underachieved all year and there would've been big changes if they lost in the first round.

Tie Domi Esquire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:50 AM
Eb
TML

Quote:
Those were pretty much his exact words as quoted above your post by Petes Meat .

Or what Burke is really saying is the first time we make the playoffs under him we are guareanteed to make a long playoff run and we will be legit cup contenders .
You see it as that? I see it as Burke saying that the first time we make the playoffs WON'T be when we trade our prospects and picks to squeek into the playoffs to say we squeeked in.

Last edited by SnS: 04-23-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old
04-23-2012, 12:52 AM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
Reporter:
"Do you feel you need a playoff spot to begin building? I think people are frustrated that you don’t have those marks on the board."

Burke;
"This notion of making the playoffs… we could have made the playoffs last year, we could have made the playoffs this year, we could have traded this first round pick, gotten a thirty-year-old, somehow squeaked in. I’m not interested in making the playoffs unless it’s part of a championship. That is the goal. Not to get in in the eighth spot, get your ass kicked, and stand up here and say yeah, we were in the playoffs."
I don't understand how Burke can say we could have made the playoffs last year when he already traded our 1st round pick . I mean if he feels our picks are the only valuable trade assets we have what did he think he could have traded last year to make the playoffs ?

Old
04-23-2012, 12:57 AM
anderson3133

Quote:
I don't understand how Burke can say we could have made the playoffs last year when he already traded our 1st round pick . I mean if he feels our picks are the only valuable trade assets we have what did he think he could have traded last year to make the playoffs ?
Where are you getting this stuff? He provided an example of what he could have done...

anderson3133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:00 AM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb View Post
You see it as that? I see it as Burke saying that the first time we make the playoffs WON'T be when we trade our prospects and picks to squeek into the playoffs to say we squeeked in.
Burke said he could have made the playoffs last year if he traded assets for vets . So he went out last summer and picked up a couple of vets in JML and TC yet this year we were actually worse .

If Burke assessment of the team was accurate then these vets should have gained us a playoff spot should it not have or do only vets added at the trade dealine count in his senerio .

Last edited by SnS: 04-23-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old
04-23-2012, 01:02 AM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
ASK BURKE WHY HE SAID MISSING THE PLAYOFFS IS LIKE BEING KICKED IN THE NUTS BECAUSE I DIDN'T SAY IT .

We all have a caps key .

Also if you really believe Kessel is the best of the best you should really start watching the rest of the league A LOT MORE .
Been watching this game with the best of the best~~~~

And maybe YOU should watch SEGUIN a LOT more...If anyone on here says Seguin has more talent than Kessel...Not in my effing life time does Seguin have more talent...NOT EVEN CLOSE TO KESSEL!!!

Old
04-23-2012, 01:02 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Im not paid to get in the playoffs, Burke said. I want to win a championship here. Getting into the playoffs we could have done that last year. We could have traded our young players and gotten in last year for a couple of 30-year-olds. We could have gotten in the year before, too, I believe, if we traded all the kids.

Im not interested in making the playoffs and getting our ***** kicked in the first round Ive done that, he added. Its not much fun. Im interested in getting in with a realistic, reasonable chance to win or bloody someones nose doing it and use that round or two rounds or whatever we can do as a building block for a championship team.

Old
04-23-2012, 01:04 AM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson3133 View Post
Where are you getting this stuff? He provided an example of what he could have done...
Yes he provided an example which the supporters are now using as the only way he could have added to the team for a playoff push .

He could have picked up a goalie for a 2nd like Ott did or he could have used some of our expendable prospects for help as well . However he choose the most objectible option in his example . I wonder why he choose this example ?

Old
04-23-2012, 01:04 AM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
1 year at $4.25

Or

4 years at $3.85

4 or 5 posts above you were concerned Kessel's value would go down as he gets closer to UFA. Does that not work the same way here?

Or are the rules different when it suits?
JML contract extension was poor asset management in my opinion.....if we were not going to be buyers at the trade deadline we should have sold JML to get at least a 2nd round pick. He is redundant in our lineup and soft. We have now committed 4 years 15 million to a soft redundant player.

diceman934 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:07 AM
diceman934

Quote:

And maybe YOU should watch SEGUIN a LOT more...If anyone on here says Seguin has more talent than Kessel...Not in my effing life time does Seguin have more talent...NOT EVEN CLOSE TO KESSEL!!!
I am not in agreement at all. Look at what Seguin has done at his age.....there is no comparison.....I would take Seguin over Kessel any time.

diceman934 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:08 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
JML contract extension was poor asset management in my opinion.....if we were not going to be buyers at the trade deadline we should have sold JML to get at least a 2nd round pick. He is redundant in our lineup and soft. We have now committed 4 years 15 million to a soft redundant player.
I was also all for trading Liles, and was surprised when he was re-signed.

Old
anderson3133

Quote:
Yes he provided an example which the supporters are now using as the only way he could have added to the team for a playoff push .

He could have picked up a goalie for a 2nd like Ott did or he could have used some of our expendable prospects for help as well . However he choose the most objectible option in his example . I wonder why he choose this example ?
Trading the second would pick would have been just as bad. He likely chose the example because he had one proposed to him of that caliber.

anderson3133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hotpaws

Quote:

For i guy who isn't close to Kessel why did he put up much better numbers in his 2nd year than PK did ?

Old
04-23-2012, 01:11 AM
Eb
TML

Quote:
Burke said he could have made the playoffs last year if he traded assets for vets . So he went out last summer and picked up a couple of vets in JML and TC yet this year we were actually worse .

If Burke assessment of the team was accurate then these vets should have gained us a playoff spot should it not have or do only vets added at the trade dealine count in his senerio .
Not actually sure what you are trying to get at here. Your punctuation is very poor too so I don't quite understand your last sentence.

However, relating it back to the main discussion. You took Burke's words out of context. Burke was not interested in squeeking into the playoffs because 8th place teams don't win cups (not because we would get swept in the first round). You continued to say that Burke was saying that the first time we would get into the playoffs, we would be contenders. Which again you spun his words which he was trying to say that the first time we would make the playoffs WON'T be the same time we trade our future prospects and picks to squeek in.

As for this post. Teams at the trade deadline have a better clue on what the strengths and weaknesses are. These vets that Burke could have required at the deadline were most likely vets that filled the positions we were in need of help. (Ie. goaltending, role support in the forward core).

Edit: inb4 you say a good GM would fill these needs before the season. Imagine if all GM's could predict injuries.

Last edited by Eb: 04-23-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Old
04-23-2012, 01:14 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
He could have chosen not to move Beauchemin, Kaberle or Versteeg. He could have moved our own 2nd last year, or Kadri or any of Blacker, Ross or Ryan. He could have moved Reimer for Anderson (you know, like Ott did).

But that might or might not have gotten us in and surely we'd have gotten our ***** kicked.

Old
04-23-2012, 01:16 AM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
I am not in agreement at all. Look at what Seguin has done at his age.....there is no comparison.....I would take Seguin over Kessel any time.
GOOD FOR you..I'LL TAKE Kessel 24/7...any day of the effing week!!! so many haters of the trade!!

love the trade and would do it over and over and over!~!!!

not all of us think it was a bad trade!! I think it was a an awe- some trade for the Leafs...Live with it!! LOVE KESSEL MORE THAN SEGUIN....AND HAMILTON...AND

WHO CARES WHAT YOU THINK.....LOVE THIS EFFING TRADE!!!! ALWAYS HAVE.....ALWAYS WILL...GET THE EFF OVER IT