HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who Do You Blame Most?

View Poll Results: Who is to blame for the Sharks slip?
Doug Wilson 0 0%
Todd McLellan 0 0%
Neither, they're both equally at fault 0 0%
Neither, it's one or multiple players and not the GM/Coaching Staff 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-22-2012, 06:16 PM
lobsters

vCash: 500
Who Do You Blame Most?

Five reasons the Sharks are going home

I thought this was a pretty interesting read from nhl.com

The funny thing about the editorial is that it alludes to bad trades in four out of five reasons. It's really got me really considering weighing who off-ice is more at fault for the regular season and post-season struggle: Doug Wilson or Todd McLellan.

So I ask you, who do you blame most?

lobsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 06:20 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Its a collective **** up by everyone.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 06:21 PM
Inub0i
For the Alliance!

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Its a collective **** up by everyone.
This.

Er'ryone ****ed up

Inub0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 06:22 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1004
Coaching.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 06:32 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsters View Post

The funny thing about the editorial is that it alludes to bad trades in four out of five reasons. It's really got me really considering weighing who off-ice is more at fault for the regular season and post-season struggle: Doug Wilson or Todd McLellan.

Lol... Here is the real reason. This is what is happening in the NHL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4RjJKxsamQ&ob=av3e

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 06:33 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Coaching.
The coaching staff has done everything that the people paying them asked them to do.

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 06:45 PM
Arkansas Shark
Rebuild lol

It was a collective

Arkansas Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 06:45 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsters View Post

No it isn't. They're blaming Burns, when he was our second best player in the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
The coaching staff has done everything that the people paying them asked them to do.
The coaching staff was completely unable to make any adjustment to Hitchcock's system.

Old
04-22-2012, 06:54 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
No it isn't. They're blaming Burns, when he was our second best player in the series.

The coaching staff was completely unable to make any adjustment to Hitchcock's system.
I saw some attempted adjustments that just did not even remotely take until game 5. I think they tried but had been playing the same system all year and to overturn a good piece of it was asking too much. There were little nudges at those same adjustments in the last 5 games of the season.

The stuff should have been addressed in the break before the playoffs.

IMO, if the adjustments were made, I could have seen the series being 7 games going either way.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 06:54 PM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Coaching, easily.

Though in hindsight, DW did significantly change a team that just made the WCF. I love Burns and the value of the trade was great, but going with Setoguchi and White wouldn't have been that bad. The Heatley trade is a trade that'd I do 11 times out of 10. The real blunders come in from letting go of Wellwood for nothing, signing Handzus, and trading McGinn. If there was a way to get Winnik without giving McGinn up (Sgarbossa, Minnesota's 2nd (no Moore), etc) that would have been great.

McGinn - Wellwood - Winnik would have made a great 3rd line.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 06:58 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I saw some attempted adjustments that just did not even remotely take until game 5. I think they tried but had been playing the same system all year and to overturn a good piece of it was asking too much. There were little nudges at those same adjustments in the last 5 games of the season.

The stuff should have been addressed in the break before the playoffs.

IMO, if the adjustments were made, I could have seen the series being 7 games going either way.
Too little too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Coaching, easily.

Though in hindsight, DW did significantly change a team that just made the WCF. I love Burns and the value of the trade was great, but going with Setoguchi and White wouldn't have been that bad. The Heatley trade is a trade that'd I do 11 times out of 10. The real blunders come in from letting go of Wellwood for nothing, signing Handzus, and trading McGinn. If there was a way to get Winnik without giving McGinn up (Sgarbossa, Minnesota's 2nd (no Moore), etc) that would have been great.

McGinn - Wellwood - Winnik would have made a great 3rd line.
Not re-signing Wellwood and signing Handzus was the single biggest mistake from the off-season, and what's worse is that we all saw if coming. I miss Welly, I think he would have been great in the Blues series with his shifty skating, and a Wellwood-Pavelski-Winnik line would be fantastic.

And I completely agree, trading for Galiardi was stupid. I'd rather have traded for Winnik with Minnesota's 2nd and forgone Moore.

Old
04-22-2012, 07:03 PM
Iron Chef

I thought letting go of Scott Nichol was a mistake the moment he signed with the Blues. Same with Wellwood, even without his breakout season this year. I'm a fan of the Burns trade in the present day, but who knows what happens in the future if Coyle turns out to be great. I like the addition of Winnik, but not at the cost.

Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 07:05 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Scott Nichol was horrible last season. No one could have predicted how well he'd rebound. I stand by that move.

Old
04-22-2012, 07:37 PM
SharksFailToClear

Everybody!

I say coaching primarily because of the PK and going 8 and 1 against a team calls for more change than we saw.

DW did make some moves that didn't pan out but he thought the two time WCF losers couldn't get it done. I think that if we knew how good braun would be this year he may have forgone burns and kept seto. Getting havlat and keeping seto would have been great and allowed pavelski to stay as a great two way center on the 3rd line.

As for regular season flop, I think that is on the players. This system has worked the previous two years and I think we could have gotten it done.

My question is if St. Louis goes on to sweep LA in the next round, dominate the WCF and win the cup will we change our tune about all the changes that need to be made and just give them credit and admit we had no chance against them no matter what seed we were?

SharksFailToClear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 07:43 PM
SFtoBoston
Left-Heart-In-SF

Quote:
Coaching.
This.

SFtoBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 08:08 PM
Pinkfloyd

The general manager inevitably should take the bulk of the heat. When you have to remake an entire line that is pivotal for consistent success going into the year and then remake it again with 20 games to go, that's on the GM. It also speaks to a complete lack of direction, let alone commitment to that direction, when you make those moves. Then McLellan takes the heat because he didn't cater to the talent that he had when it came to devising a system. A system is supposed to maximize the talent you have. They aren't supposed to force themselves to work within the system. Plus, the adjustments were always too late and he never took responsibility for the failures of the PK. When this is the second season in a row where the PK was having issues, he should've owned it and done something about it. He didn't. He also vastly overworked Niemi which also speaks to an ignorance to another facet of the game. The coach can't handle the PK and can't handle the goalie position properly. He's good on the power play relative to the rest of the league and good enough five on five but that's it. You can't have that many issues as a coach and expect to keep your job for too long. I think he'll get another year or so but that will eventually be his downfall. And to add to this, the complete evaporation of a transition game. It is mind-boggling how this team was able to score as much as they did w/o much of a transition game this year.

You can blame every single player at some point for some form of failure or another and rightfully so in many instances. But when your management lacks a clear and focused direction and has a coach that runs a system that the players need to be molded to, it's going to yield poor results more often than not.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 08:12 PM
Audio Outlaw
Jaded Sharks Fan

We have amazing players and I like DW. I like TMac too. This is a difficult decision for me to make.

Audio Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 08:31 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

The equipment guy. Too often when Greiss was backing up, he left a cap in Greiss' locker instead of a toque.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 12 GP, 4-6-2 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 08:31 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

poll closed? what gives?

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

The guys who decided to change from free personal pizza to tacos. Clearly the Sharks lost as motivation to score in bunches afterwards.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 09:42 PM
SharksFan1

Quote:
Scott Nichol was horrible last season. No one could have predicted how well he'd rebound. I stand by that move.
He just works really well in the Blue's system.

SharksFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 09:45 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

I blame Mclellan, why didn't he put Sheppard on the first line with Thornton? We would have won the series, probably even the cup.

KpopandHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Dusk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
I blame Mclellan, why didn't he put Sheppard on the first line with Thornton? We would have won the series, probably even the cup.
He couldn't do that. He needed to stick to the process.

Dusk Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 10:00 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusk Soldier View Post
He couldn't do that. He needed to stick to the process.
Indoctrinated Koala. That's what must have happened.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 10:31 PM
Tealblood

Not big on both of them right now. I feel like we aren't fast or tenacious enough to play the Detroit style that Tmac brings. So then you have to look at DW and question his vision.

As boring as it is, a coach with a defense first play style may be what we need again. Players like marleau fall apart in that style, so get rid of guys like that he disappears too often in the playoffs anyway. If you're keeping that detroit style, we need massive lineup changes to get rid of guys who aren't fitting in.

Idk, I'm at the point where I think we need to clean house but we won't do that for a few more years because from an ownership point of view we can't afford to miss the playoffs and see a dip in attendance that comes with that. I think boyle isn't the 2 way player we need manning the point, and Murray shouldn't ever be on the top pair because of his lack of offensive skill and overall slowness(especially toward the end of shifts). Thornton, clowe and pavs are all too slow. You're seeing the best teams lead by fast and tenacious young players.

Tealblood is offline   Reply With Quote