HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Series Talk: Kings vs Blues

Old
04-23-2012, 02:21 AM
TerminatorBlue

vCash: 500
LA the only team I was afraid of in the west. I think this is going 7 for sure.

TerminatorBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 03:54 AM
Super Hans

As some others have said, the Kings are a team that I actually don't mind, I think it's because in a lot of ways they as a club are not too dissimilar to the Blues. I think it will be a pretty close series though, but I have a feeling that we can come out on top. Will take a few games to grind them down, but I'm reasonably confident.

Super Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 04:07 AM
Robb_K

This one will go 6 or 7. Both teams can win on the road, and win 2-1 or 1-0. The Blues can win it. But they could also lose it. I hope they play their "A" game, get treated fairly by the refs, and get the "good bounces". It would be nice for a LOT of reasons, to at least make The Conference Finals.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 04:12 AM
FOOTE
bloody hell

Glad the Blues are getting the Kings. I have nothing but respect for the franchise and it's fans. This should be a fun series. Hopefully we get a few 8:30(local) starts when they are out in LA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifting View Post
Saturday, 28th
I just hope it's not next Friday since I have tickets to the Cardinals, and I want to go to game one.

FOOTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 04:23 AM
Squeeven

I'm not a fan of the Blues, but I have no reason to hate you guys. So for this series and likely for the West Go Blues! You guys were the better team against my Sharks so on behalf of the Sharks fans good luck and please give the Kings one heck of a beating!

Squeeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 05:56 AM
PeterAngelo

Good luck blues fans, will be cheering for you guys. This is going to be an unbelievable series, am going to make sure to catch all the games i can. I think Oshie and Backes will find this matchup to their liking...Hoping for a central WCF! Go get it done

PeterAngelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 06:19 AM
execwrite

Like the Blues in five. Scoring depth, special teams could be the difference.

The Blues are the better team.

"When I came here six years ago, you could maybe count the people up in the stands. There were probably 9,000 ... it was half full. You didn't know if you were playing a home game or an away game.

"Now with the rally towels or whatever and with all the screams, it's a good feeling to see where this franchise has come and what direction we're headed in."
-- David Backes

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 06:52 AM
Pie Man
A-Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post
Hi Kings fan coming in peace.

I think its crazy/funny that the Blues and the Kings are like mirror images of each other lol. Both defensive. Both have goal tending. Both hired Vet coaches mid season.

I also think its hilarious that both fan bases have mutual respect for each other and both our boards look the same. As both fan bases are cautions lol.

I'm just happy that I guess you can say UN SEXY teams are doing well these playoffs.

Anyways... hope its a great series and I hope its clean as well.
Peace? we dont want peace, its playoff, its war

Anyway, beside what ya mentioned I think ya guys got the better offensive power in Kopitar with sidekick Richards and Carter. But we got the better D in Pie vs Donut hehe.

Pie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 08:01 AM
Spektre

vCash: 50
Blues sweep this one in 4. We have a call into Courtnall to take out Quick.

LA turned it on last 15 games but they're about to run out of steam.

Spektre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:32 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
If Ottawa closes it out tomorrow and the Panthers close it out Tuesday I wonder if the NHL might schedule the Blues/Kings to start Thursday so as not to have an empty day.
Hopefully, but for it to be a realistic possibility, then the Coyotes need to win tonight as well.

If they don't then I think they'd have the empty day and we will be playing Saturday/Monday because Friday/Sunday isn't possible.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:11 AM
SLang

Kings fan here, guys. I knew a couple of years back that the road to the Cup would eventually someday lead through St. Louis. Unfortunate because I like your team and fans, but fortunate because I think it's going to be an epic series.

People are going to call the matchup boring, but will change their tune when they feel the intensity.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:26 AM
Steve Doan
Re-sign Elliott

Yeah, more late games, call me crazy, I actually like the late games, we get the national spotlight after 9, I'll actually get to watch the games live

Steve Doan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:33 AM
Steve Doan
Re-sign Elliott

I made a $100 bet right after hitch was hired, that the blues would be in the WCF, and LA has never stopped us in the past, LGB!

Steve Doan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:49 AM
Perro

Good luck Blues fans. Big LA fan here, if St. Louis win this series I'll be pulling for you guys the rest of the way.
Both 1967 teams with 0 cups. Hopefully one of us changes that.
Season series was very close and fun to watch. The kings 5-0 win doesn't hold much weight as both teams have made significant moves since then.

Perro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:51 AM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

I don't see why this matchup would scare anyone. The West is breaking beautifully for the Blues especially if Chicago is ousted. All the high skill, puck possession, offense-generated-from-blueline, speed-through-the-neutral-zone teams are out or are on the verge of getting eliminated. Those are the type of teams that gave the Blues the most trouble and all 3 might be out in the first round. Similar to 2003 except we actually didn't...ya know...blow a 3-1 series lead this time.

The fact that we have home-ice throughout the remainder of Conference play couldn't make me more confident at the moment.

As Joe Thornton of all people said after the series, "it was a tight checking series and they are the best team at it."

Well, all 4 teams remaining if Chicago loses play similarly but we are the best defensive team in the league and have the best home-ice in the league.

LA isn't on our level, their top 6 forwards aren't on San Jose's level and we neutralized them, they don't have near as intimidating a home crowd as a Nashville or SJ, our PP is on fire, confidence from a series win, Elliott couldn't be more of a calming influence right now, etc.

Might be overconfident right now but I could see us sweeping the Kings.

Western Conference final has had Blues vs Preds written all over it for a long time.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:54 AM
UgotOSHIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
Kings fan here, guys. I knew a couple of years back that the road to the Cup would eventually someday lead through St. Louis. Unfortunate because I like your team and fans, but fortunate because I think it's going to be an epic series.

People are going to call the matchup boring, but will change their tune when they feel the intensity.
Really couldn't have said any of that better myself. A good friend of mine is a hardcore Kings fan....gonna make our hardcore Battlefield 3 sessions awkward after each game

UgotOSHIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:08 PM
jimmykay

quickly checking on ticketmaster, the only potential scheduling conflict with the STC right now is Van Halen on the 29th.

jimmykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
I don't see why this matchup would scare anyone. The West is breaking beautifully for the Blues especially if Chicago is ousted. All the high skill, puck possession, offense-generated-from-blueline, speed-through-the-neutral-zone teams are out or are on the verge of getting eliminated. Those are the type of teams that gave the Blues the most trouble and all 3 might be out in the first round. Similar to 2003 except we actually didn't...ya know...blow a 3-1 series lead this time.

The fact that we have home-ice throughout the remainder of Conference play couldn't make me more confident at the moment.

As Joe Thornton of all people said after the series, "it was a tight checking series and they are the best team at it."

Well, all 4 teams remaining if Chicago loses play similarly but we are the best defensive team in the league and have the best home-ice in the league.

LA isn't on our level, their top 6 forwards aren't on San Jose's level and we neutralized them, they don't have near as intimidating a home crowd as a Nashville or SJ, our PP is on fire, confidence from a series win, Elliott couldn't be more of a calming influence right now, etc.

Might be overconfident right now but I could see us sweeping the Kings.

Western Conference final has had Blues vs Preds written all over it for a long time.
It's good that you have confidence couple tof things though. San Jose's PK is not at LA's level. LA just won three in a row on the road in Vancouver, so not sure they are worried about playing in St. Louis. Doughty, Martinez, Mitchell and Voynov all can produce from the back end and Kopitar, Carter and richardson provide speed through the neutral zone.
Going to be a heck of series, I hope Hitch under rates the kings as you have. However I doubt it.

Old
04-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Perro

What injures does St. Louis currently have?

Old
04-23-2012, 01:09 PM
STL Blues Fan

Halak should be ready for game 1 as backup goaltender. I've got 2 tickets for game 2!!! Section 311 row H!!! So who is my new best friend if my girlfriend breaks up with me between now and then?

STL Blues Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:20 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

I really hope the refs stay out of the players' way in this series. Both teams are physical and great defensively. This series has the potential to be an absolute barn burner if the refs just call a fair game. Best of luck to the Kings, but LGB!!!

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:26 PM
homeoftheBlues

vCash: 374
Any idea when the NHL will schedule these games? I've heard Sat-Mon for 1&2 but I'd really like to see Thurs/Sat. That would set us up for game 5 the following Saturday depending on how they work out the scheduling in LA.

I don't think that I can wait a week between games!

homeoftheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Perro

Wish I knew any blue's fans here in Calgary. Would love to make a jersey bet.

Old
04-23-2012, 02:33 PM
actionhank1786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektre View Post
Blues sweep this one in 4. We have a call into Courtnall to take out Quick.

LA turned it on last 15 games but they're about to run out of steam.
I don't see tha happening at all. I would love it, but i just don't think it's likely. Quick is too good to get blown out by the Blues offense. No insult intended to our boys, but we rely on those dirty goals more than anything it seems, and Quick doesn't allow a lot of those.
There was an interesting thing mentioned yesterday while watching the Canucks Kings game. The Canucks were pretty blatantly kicking Quick's stick out of his hand anytime they had the puck down low. He started just holding his stick down on the ice pretty hard. Who knows, maybe that habit will give us some top shelf chances to cash in on.
I see this series going 6 or 7 games, with not a lot of scoring.

actionhank1786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 02:48 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

If Halak is healthy before game 1 .. who will get the start?

MB94 is online now   Reply With Quote