HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Sidney Crosby's next contract

Old
04-22-2012, 10:53 PM

vCash: 500
Sidney Crosby's next contract

Discuss..

71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 10:54 PM
Sivek

Just say much and how long Sid?

Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 10:56 PM
LIPensFan98

Well, it's hard to discuss this now since the CBA is up in a few months and things might change. If it stays somewhat like it is now (which it probably will), I'd like to see something like 50 for 5. I wouldn't mind going longer but I think I'm a little worried about injury.

LIPensFan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 11:14 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

If those 10 year deals are still allowed I would totally offer him a 10 year deal. 10 mill a year whatever he wants.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 11:17 PM
AEKaki

I don't see him asking for more than 9M. He doesn't seem like the type to be gritty.

AEKaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 11:18 PM
zhenya71

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIPensFan98 View Post
Well, it's hard to discuss this now since the CBA is up in a few months and things might change. If it stays somewhat like it is now (which it probably will), I'd like to see something like 50 for 5. I wouldn't mind going longer but I think I'm a little worried about injury.
That could/would be seriously problematic.

zhenya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 11:18 PM
LIPensFan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
If those 10 year deals are still allowed I would totally offer him a 10 year deal. 10 mill a year whatever he wants.
I'd give him 10/100 for sure. The only issue I have is the injury. Shero is in a tough spot. He's gotta do it this summer or in the fall. He won't have a chance to see him play a serious amount of time before getting it done. And I wouldn't risk waiting until next spring/summer.

Old
04-22-2012, 11:19 PM
LIPensFan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhenya71 View Post
That could/would be seriously problematic.
Why is that? Ovy makes 9 a year and 10 a year for the last 6 (or something like that). It's a 13 year deal. If Ovy gets that, you don't think Sid deserves 10/yr for 5?

Old
04-22-2012, 11:24 PM
zhenya71

Quote:
Why is that? Ovy makes 9 a year and 10 a year for the last 6 (or something like that). It's a 13 year deal. If Ovy gets that, you don't think Sid deserves 10/yr for 5?
Because A.) Crosby's health situation is far from certain going forward, and B.) Whether we like it or not, what Crosby does in contract negotiations serves as a benchmark for other players, particularly Malkin. The more Crosby is willing to sacrifice in terms of money, the better the chances are that other players will follow suit.

It's not a question of what Crosby "deserves."

Old
04-22-2012, 11:30 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
There are 0 questions about SIDS health. Sign him long term for whatever he wants. That's why teams take out insurance on players.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 11:31 PM
LIPensFan98

Quote:
Because A.) Crosby's health situation is far from certain going forward, and B.) Whether we like it or not, what Crosby does in contract negotiations serves as a benchmark for other players, particularly Malkin. The more Crosby is willing to sacrifice in terms of money, the better the chances are that other players will follow suit.
This goes for the entire league, not just our team. Brian Rolston makes 5/yr. Redden is at 6.5/yr. Vanek is around 7/yr. Gomez is around 7/yr as well. Eric Staal is around 8/yr.

Both Geno and Sid are better than all of those players combined on their worst days.

Quote:
It's not a question of what Crosby "deserves."
Yes it is. Owners pay employees based on their value to the company. The employee that is most valuable deserves to be paid the most. If other companies are willing to pay them what they deserve (or what they are really worth), they go elsewhere. Hockey is a game, but it's also a business.

Old
04-22-2012, 11:33 PM
LIPensFan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
There are 0 questions about SIDS health. Sign him long term for whatever he wants. That's why teams take out insurance on players.
I agree with that. And since it's not my money, I couldn't care less if they paid him 100 million a season. But looking at it from a business owners standpoint, I wouldn't do it. If it were my money, I'd give him around 5 years at 10 million per. I'd also wait until the new CBA is done.

Old
04-22-2012, 11:39 PM
Dylonus

I remember hearing Rob Rossi say the other day that there's no way the Penguins get him for under 10 a year...

I doubt it. I think he'd be willing to take a discount. Maybe like down to 8 a year. The dude has so many endorsement deals and such going on and isn't a greedy ****** like Ovechkin. I think he'd be willing to take less to make room for guys like Letang.

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 11:40 PM
zhenya71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Surely you don't believe that...

Old
04-22-2012, 11:43 PM
Zirakzigil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
I remember hearing Rob Rossi say the other day that there's no way the Penguins get him for under 10 a year...

I doubt it. I think he'd be willing to take a discount. Maybe like down to 8 a year. The dude has so many endorsement deals and such going on and isn't a greedy ****** like Ovechkin. I think he'd be willing to take less to make room for guys like Letang.
This. I could even see him going lower to something like 7 or 7.5mil a year. Hes not hurting for money and is all class. It would not surprise me at all to see him take a lower amount which will put pressure on guys like Staal, Malkin and Letang to do the same when they resign.

Zirakzigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 11:46 PM
zhenya71

Quote:
This goes for the entire league, not just our team. Brian Rolston makes 5/yr. Redden is at 6.5/yr. Vanek is around 7/yr. Gomez is around 7/yr as well. Eric Staal is around 8/yr.

Both Geno and Sid are better than all of those players combined on their worst days.

Yes it is.
Owners pay employees based on their value to the company. The employee that is most valuable deserves to be paid the most. If other companies are willing to pay them what they deserve (or what they are really worth), they go elsewhere. Hockey is a game, but it's also a business.
No, it's not. There are numerous examples around the league (we have a few on our team) of players taking less than they "deserve", because they understood that doing so was in the best interest of the team. In a cap world, you can't just give players whatever they want or deserve...you have to keep the bigger picture in mind.

Besides, you can probably make the argument that Fleury is the most valuable player on our team (unlike Crosby and Malkin, a piss poor performance by him is nearly impossible to overcome), but does he even make remotely close to the most money? I don't think any goalie in the league is within 2M a year of Ovechkin, no matter how valuable or dominant they are.

I'm also not saying that Crosby and Malkin shouldn't make more than the players you listed.

Old
04-22-2012, 11:50 PM
LIPensFan98

Quote:
No, it's not. There are numerous examples around the league (we have a few on our team) of players taking less than they "deserve", because they understood that doing so was in the best interest of the team. In a cap world, you can't just give players whatever they want or deserve...you have to keep the bigger picture in mind.

Besides, you can probably make the argument that Fleury is the most valuable player on our team (unlike Crosby and Malkin, a piss poor performance by him is nearly impossible to overcome), but does he even make remotely close to the most money? I don't think any goalie in the league is within 2M a year of Ovechkin, no matter how valuable or dominant they are.

I'm also not saying that Crosby and Malkin shouldn't make more than the players you listed.
Your value and my value are different. Like I said, hockey is a game, but it's also a business. Contract talks are based on a little of the game and A LOT of the business.

Crosby puts more money in the pockets of ownership than any other player on the team BY FAR. That alone makes him the most valuable player on the team. Because he fills ownerships pockets, he deserves (or is worth) more than anyone else.

Old
04-22-2012, 11:56 PM
zhenya71

Quote:
Your value and my value are different. Like I said, hockey is a game, but it's also a business. Contract talks are based on a little of the game and A LOT of the business.

Crosby puts more money in the pockets of ownership than any other player on the team BY FAR. That alone makes him the most valuable player on the team. Because he fills ownerships pockets, he deserves (or is worth) more than anyone else.
Sure, hockey is a business. And in business, you are less willing to dump money into things that provide uncertain returns than in things which are near guarantees. While Crosby is still a great player, and I expect he'll play at a high level for many years to come, his future is not as certain as it used to be.

Old
04-23-2012, 12:00 AM
LIPensFan98

Quote:
Sure, hockey is a business. And in business, you are less willing to dump money into things that provide uncertain returns than in things which are near guarantees. While Crosby is still a great player, and I expect he'll play at a high level for many years to come, his future is not as certain as it used to be.
Any player on any team at any minute of any game can get Torres'd or go head first into the boards or take a puck to the eye. Sid can walk out tomorrow and get his leg chewed off by a rabid dog.

Nothing is certain and that is what insurance is for.

Old
04-23-2012, 12:01 AM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
I hope when negotiating a sweetheart deal, Crosby says to Shero, "I'll take a discount so long as the money I'm leaving on the table doesn't go toward you signing fifty ****ing grinders instead."

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:02 AM
FDBluth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post

Don't underestimate the power of player agents.

FDBluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:03 AM
zhenya71

Quote:
Any player on any team at any minute of any game can get Torres'd or go head first into the boards or take a puck to the eye. Sid can walk out tomorrow and get his leg chewed off by a rabid dog.

Nothing is certain and that is what insurance is for.
Insurance isn't going to help the Pens out of salary cap problems.

And, of course, any player can have bad things happen to them, but now that Crosby has a significant concussion history (it wasn't a blip on the radar screen like what happened to Giroux earlier this year), he's more likely to have problems in the future, potentially from things more benign than what you mentioned.

Old
04-23-2012, 12:10 AM
SEALBound

To be honest, I just see him and Malkin both signing 5 year extensions at the same amount. I mean...if you give Sid 10mil, you pretty much have to give Malkin 10mil. Thats an extra $2.6mil thats taken away from a support player. Thats a rookie at league min instead of a Sullivan or Kennedy...its the difference between a good winger and a meh winger for them. Sid already makes more in endorsements than he does salary...is that extra mil or so really gonna be worth it in the end? Same for Geno.

Shero has always said that players have to be willing to take a discount in order to play there...but its more about being able to win. I don't see Sid or Geno being overly greedy.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:12 AM
LIPensFan98

Quote:
Insurance isn't going to help the Pens out of salary cap problems.

And, of course, any player can have bad things happen to them, but now that Crosby has a significant concussion history (it wasn't a blip on the radar screen like what happened to Giroux earlier this year), he's more likely to have problems in the future, potentially from things more benign than what you mentioned.
When was his "significant concussion history"? He had one, maybe two concussions during his entire career. He also had a pretty serious neck injury that once found/fixed, solved the problem pretty quickly. He is no more/less likely to be injured than any other player that plays the minutes he does.

Old
04-23-2012, 12:15 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Same deal he has now.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote