HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Goaltending Depth

Old
04-23-2012, 08:54 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
NHL: Niemi & Greiss
AHL: Sateri & one of Stalock or Sexsmith
ECHL: Heemskerk & Anderson (SJ will be affiliated with SF is my guess)

Where does the "loser" of Stalock/Sexsmith play? As folks should have realized after Niittymaki and Stalock were loaned out this season they're automatically the second fiddle where they end up, and that all but kills their development.
They could trade Niemi, ya never know.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:11 PM
CupfortheSharks

vCash: 500
What I don't understand is why the Todd didn't give Greiss a chance to play a string of games this season when Niemi was playing poorly. It would have given Greiss a chance to prove he can be a #1 goaltender and it could have lit a fire under Niemi. If Greiss steps up, great. If he doesn't, then Niemi gets another shot to prove he can do the job and hopefully steps up his game after sitting for a bit. It seems obvious that this move should have been tried at some point during the season. If it had, The Sharks and us fans would have a better understanding of what we have in Greiss.

CupfortheSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Goodbye Sexsmith, I guess.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm not completely convinced you're right.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:16 PM
Phu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJGoalie32 View Post
But wait......why would you think this would be a problem for the Sharks?

I thought you were quite clear about how it was all just a matter of bad "luck" and bad calls by the refs that beat us.

I don't understand.....how is replacing Niemi supposed to make the Sharks luckier? Did he not tap his goalposts in the right order enough times for the Sharks to win more games? Did he have the wrong rabbit's foot under his chest protector? Does he own a black cat?
You keep trying to make a non-existent point. Our seeding reflects very poor luck, most of that was poor offensive luck. That is the area where we reflected the largest disparity in performance and results. Goaltending is an ongoing area of concern for us and will need to be addressed to get beyond not just this season's results -- obviously, as they were heavily influenced by luck -- but the standard going into this season, as set by the prior two seasons.

Luck may have been the biggest problem, but it's not the only problem. As I've mentioned we were probably around the 6th best team this year, but seeded as the 14th. Those 8 spots chalk up to luck. Getting better than 6th is another issue.

And as I'm sure you know, luck cannot be changed actively or it is not luck. So I would never make a suggestion to improve our luck.

Last edited by Phu: 04-23-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:18 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupfortheSharks View Post
What I don't understand is why the Todd didn't give Greiss a chance to play a string of games this season when Niemi was playing poorly. It would have given Greiss a chance to prove he can be a #1 goaltender and it could have lit a fire under Niemi. If Greiss steps up, great. If he doesn't, then Niemi gets another shot to prove he can do the job and hopefully steps up his game after sitting for a bit. It seems obvious that this move should have been tried at some point during the season. If it had, The Sharks and us fans would have a better understanding of what we have in Greiss.
The reasoning always was that they need to get Niemi going when he wasn't doing well and when he was doing well, we ride the hot goalie. To me, the biggest mistake was giving Greiss one start in December. Out of the 68 games Nemo started, they could've taken the biggest chunk of the minimum 8 games they need to pull away from him in that time span.

McLellan needs to learn how to prepare a goalie for the stretch run. If you're going to assume that you will need your #1 for the playoffs and want to play him consistently down the stretch, which is fine, you need to lighten his load early on. Whether Nemo was going in November, December, or even January is irrelevant. Handing Greiss three, one, and three starts in that time span was gross misuse of goaltenders...both of them.

Old
04-23-2012, 09:18 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm not completely convinced you're right.
You think the org would give up on Stalock?

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:34 PM
CupfortheSharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
The reasoning always was that they need to get Niemi going when he wasn't doing well...
I know that was the reasoning. I don't agree with it. I do agree that it's good to give a player a chance to play out of his slump. But sometimes, it's better to let him sit, re-focus, and start fresh. I think the Todd was wrong not to sit Niemi and give Greiss a serious shot at some point during the season.

CupfortheSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
I know that was the reasoning. I don't agree with it. I do agree that it's good to give a player a chance to play out of his slump. But sometimes, it's better to let him sit, re-focus, and start fresh. I think the Todd was wrong not to sit Niemi and give Greiss a serious shot at some point during the season.
I don't agree with it either. How any starter plays in November, December, and January is largely irrelevant. If he's hot, he'll cool off and if he's struggling, he'll get back to form. There's just too much season left to worry about where they are. Hell, you're just better off giving him the rest to keep his workload down so that he's physically fresher for the stretch.

Old
04-23-2012, 11:00 PM
sharkfan95
Stalock is the best

I think they should give Stalock a chance in SJ. worst case he goes back down to W. He's shown he's ready, why not give him the chance?

sharkfan95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 12:44 AM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
If that happens I will be on the Fire DW bandwagon 100%.

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 04:22 AM
Tomahawk214
i'm not even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkfan95 View Post
I think they should give Stalock a chance in SJ. worst case he goes back down to W. He's shown he's ready, why not give him the chance?
He will get a chance. No doubt Stalock will be gunning for Greiss' job.

Tomahawk214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 05:10 AM

Quote:
That's the problem, it sure seems like a long shot that they would do that. But they also loaned him out, which is usually a sign an organization is done with a player.

I'd feel more comfortable if SJ had said they loaned out Stalock not to play more games in Peoria (which he obviously didn't by getting into just three games despite being the better of the two goalies there) but to be able to get full practices in every day (because with 3 goalies like we would have ended up with in Worcester that doesn't happen). But even the "off the record" stuff I got still said it as about playing games...so it leaves me wondering what the real plan is for him and Sexsmith.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 08:40 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk214 View Post
He will get a chance. No doubt Stalock will be gunning for Greiss' job.
If Stalock's chance is about gunning for Greiss' job, then he's not really getting a chance. I can see Stalock having to settle for the backup if Greiss falters next season but he won't get that job until 2013-14. He won't get it next year simply because Greiss has earned the job to be his to lose at the very worst going in and if he falters next season and they need something at that point, they will find a veteran for it instead of asking Stalock to do it.

Old
04-24-2012, 01:00 PM

vCash: 50
Personally, I think Niemi needs to go. Our defense had to play a style that didnt fit them in order to mask Niemi's poor puck control. I think its time that all 5 kids and Griess get to fight it out for the top billing. My money is on JP Anderson and Stalock. Why else are we keeping them? They need a chance to prove themselves.

209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 02:27 PM
lsx

Quote:
Because that was just one of Tmac's major mistakes this year, he should have been playing greiss more, there's no excuse for him playing niemi when he was just terrible.

Niemi's stats may have evened out over the season, but for stretches he was beyond terrible and cost games, you cannot just look at the season final sv% as a indicator of how good your goalie is. There's tons of variables to consider, and it starts with looking at each game's performance one by one, soft goals, critical moment saves vs. goals, puck playing ability, rebound control, communication, and confidence in net which is projected onto the whole team and affects moral. Make a list with good performances, average, and bad, look at what teams they were against, goal differential for each game, etc..

Niemi needs to go, give the kids a chance.

lsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 03:00 PM
do0glas

i was deeply unimpressed by niemis play: though i will caveat and say he did above his season performance in the playoffs.

1. he has horrible rebound control. i defended it earlier in the season, but he is not good at freezing the puck or keeping it out of the slot.

2. todays elite goalie needs to be able to play the puck, behind the net niemi would more often than not give the puck to the other team, and i dont feel that im exaggerating here.

3. his lateral movement is suspect. not only is he slower than most here his reads are as well. so slow in getting there and slow in knowing to get there. he also overcommits in a lot of plays and it usually creates a chain of overcommiting by everyone else.

i truly felt that greiss, in the few games he played showed he was superior in these categories. i would say he also needs rebound control work, but not nearly as much and he has a better glove hand.

i never felt uncomfortable with greiss in net.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 07:09 PM
Phu

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
2. todays elite goalie needs to be able to play the puck, behind the net niemi would more often than not give the puck to the other team, and i dont feel that im exaggerating here.
You are not only not exaggerating, you are probably understating.

Old
04-24-2012, 07:11 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
Jonathan Quick and Cory Schneider both are extremely bad at playing the puck. I've noticed a good number of times where it seems like it's just a lack of communication between the defender and Niemi.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 07:17 PM
Phu

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Jonathan Quick and Cory Schneider both are extremely bad at playing the puck. I've noticed a good number of times where it seems like it's just a lack of communication between the defender and Niemi.
*Chip* *Goes right to other team*
"Oh baby, oh mama!!!"