HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Give me some reasons...

Old
05-04-2012, 02:07 AM
Price My Man Crush

vCash: 500
Give me some reasons...

...about why the Kings are so great during these playoffs. I've watched a few games and Quick is awesome, you guys are lucky to have this guy with your team.

Dustin Brown raised his game to another level? Jonathan Quick is in beast mode this year?

I would like to have some reasons from Kings fans about why the Kings are so great.

Thanks in advance and go KINGS!

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 02:13 AM
Riposte!

There was a poster from the Clagary boards who came over here the day Sutter got hired and said two things:

-That he gets the most out of his players
-That his system's forecheck is absolutely tenacious and causes all kinds of problems for opposing teams

He was absolutely right. The best players have been the best players every single night in the playoffs. Secondly, but I think more importantly, the relentless forecheck of the Kings has wreaked havoc. They're causing turnovers at the opposing blue line one out of every four breakout attempts, it seems, and a lot of those turnovers are resulting is key goals (see Vancouver's elimination). Guys are working hard and taking away any sort of space in the neutral zone. Neither Vancouver or St. Louis has been able to consistently generate any sort of speed between the blue lines, and it's stifling their attack options.

Oh, and Jonathan Quick.

Riposte! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 02:53 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Simply put, the Kings are finally achieving their potential.

How frustrating it has been all year long, waiting for this team to wake up. The Carter trade was the alarm clock.

I did some research before the game tonight. With tonight's result, the Kings are 20-6-3 since they traded for Carter.

They closed the season out 13-5-1 (before those two horrid OT losses to San Jose), still pretty impressive. And 7-1 in the playoffs.

As someone else said in the PGT: Unreal.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 03:02 AM
CNS
A World Alone

Jonathan. Quick.

/thread

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 03:11 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Jonathan. Quick.

/thread
The Kings proved tonight they can win when Quick isn't on top of his game.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 03:13 AM
Wooty

The Kings do have a number of star level talent players. Kopitar, Brown, Carter, Doughty plus more. They get good offense from at least 2 lines and often 3.

The Kings have made the forwards very big. King and Nolan are big guys. They are not the greatly talented but being big is important and the be big really well.

The 6 defenseman are all good skaters. Drew Doughty is a one man shut down crew. He skates and makes choices so well that he is a shut down by himself. He will also clear the puck almost guaranteed. Miller has great talent in a quieter package and scuds is rock solid. Greene is more physical then the rest but he is a warrior.

The King roll 4 forward lines all of them without fear of creating a let down. 2 of the lines bring steady offense, 1 is solid offense and 1 is a team of maniacle midgets who just fly around causing problems.
The Kings are deep. No line hurts them at all while having 2 lines that are offensive and on the go.

The goaltending is outstanding. Of course Quick is probably the best goaltender in the NHL but I have no problem if Quick needed a break and the put Bernier in. he is solid as well.

The kings are big, fast, deep and they don't take bad penalties.

They desperately need to totally redo their power play system. It does almost nothing

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 04:38 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Yes.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 05:26 AM
Aussie King

Drew Doughty.

Aussie King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Axl Rhoadz*

I think one of the biggest reasons for the success if that the key players have managed to stay healthy.

Look at last year, Kings took a VERY good Sharks team to 6 games, could have won that series, and that was WITHOUT Kopitar.

Axl Rhoadz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 08:42 AM
Pucknut50

"Tis a far far better thing that do, that I have ever done before"

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 08:49 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Sutter.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 08:51 AM
DaStinger
My Precious!

vCash: 477
Send a message via MSN to DaStinger
Easy, the team starting playing like the roster said they could. It's a wonderful thing when your team gets into the groove at this time of year.

Love watching this team, go Kings go!

DaStinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:02 AM
moosehead81

IMO- a number of reasons

1. Quick has been steadily outstanding, carrying his play over from the regular season
2. Brown has elevated his game since the trade deadline
3. Kopitar's a threat to score whenever he's on the ice
4. The addition of Carter (although he hasn't done much- sent in all alone again yesterday by Richards with the score 4-2 but high and wide- how the Flyer fans must remember that!) has opened up ice for the Kopitar line
5. Richards has returned to play-off beast mode
6. Doughty has finally reached his form
7. For whatever reason, the addition of King and Nolan brought extra energy to the whole team
8. Stoll, the other bottom 6 forwards and the defence are playing real well
9. A quick forecheck, pressure defence (even when playing short handed) and whatever else Sutter has them doing seems to be beyond anything Vancouver and now St Louis (so far) could and can answer to

If they ever got their power play working at a reasonable rate it'd be scary although the penalty kill seems to be making up for it.

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:39 AM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Quick's just such a Jedi he synchronized his off night with Elliott's.

/mindtricks

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 09:50 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
Quick's just such a Jedi he synchronized his off night with Elliott's.

/mindtricks
Actually, he's been doing that all season long (except for the playoffs). I noticed that the reason there were a lot of 1-0 games this year is he really seems to be focused when the scoring is low, but when the Kings get a number of goals for him, the other team is scoring too. Very rarely have we seen any blowouts. Home opening night was one, and there was one in Minnesota, and of course game 2 of this series. But that's about it.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:03 AM
haca oighir

Doughty has been the biggest difference. Quick has always played well this season. Penner has played better. Everyone else has played better. But doughty is one of the biggest changes from the season.

haca oighir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Minor Boarding

Size, 5man attack/defense and J Quick.
Easy, no?

Minor Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:20 AM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

The obvious are the players playing to their potential and Quick being strong. I'd say something that hasn't really been mentioned is that the dressing room is a huge family, all getting along and wanting to play for each other and their coach. This team BELIEVES in themselves without getting cocky. They are humble and take each game at a time. That's huge. Sure, most teams in the playoffs have to believe that they can win, but I think some get too cocky when winning. The Kings are almost dumbly happy to play each game and are having fun out there.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:36 AM
Fishhead

For me, it's that Lombardi finally caught up coaching-wise, he fell behind this year.

1. Crawford: A stopgap more or less, but a guy with some fire. Not a horrible coach, but not a great one. One to get the kids motivated a bit.

2. Murray: Possibly the perfect hire for a team if you want to develop a defensive game. He's a wizard on that side of the puck, he teaches responsibility and structure. Very important for a young team with a lot of potential. Youngsters make mistakes, so his counterpunch system works great. Not so good, however, if you want your team to adjust and impose their will on others.

3. Sutter: A coach that gets the most out of his players, and even gets them playing above their heads. A solid X's and O's guy, but his motivation skills are his forte. It's his way or the highway, not a yeller like Crawford but much stricter. I get the vibe that the players fear him in a respectful way.

Personally, I think it was very obvious at the beginning of the year that a coaching transition was needed, but TM had earned the chance to right the ship when things went south. As players grow, the coaches need to also. Thing is, most coaches have their system and stick to it, it's a specialized field. Very few coaches can change with a team. Trotz comes to mind here, but even he struggled a bit when NSH became more skilled.

Perhaps DL wanted to make a change sooner, but was looking closely at options. Or perhaps he was looking at Sutter all along and was just waiting to see if TM could turn it around. Either way it worked out and now there's a synergy between the team and it's coaches. I was hesitant with the Sutter hire, but it is very apparent that DL nailed this one. Coach choice was my biggest criticism of him, but he's addressed that in my eyes. Only one more coaching change needs to be made, it's so obvious I'm surprised it hasn't been done yet.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 11:47 AM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Sutter.
There are many, many reason, but I believe Sutter is the biggest one.

Brown, Lewis, and Doughty, are entirely different players since Sutter came aboard.
He instilled a swagger and intensity in the team that wasn't there before, while not allowing them to become complacent or satisfied.
Our team transformed from a sit back and see what happens mentality, to being on the attack regardless of the score.
He gave confidence and ice time to the 3rd and 4th lines, which resulted in more secondary scoring and the ability to roll four lines without being terrified when they are on the ice.
Sutter is also getting the best out of his best players. Kopi, Brown, Richards, Doughty, Mitchell have all been outstanding.

Seventyx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 12:19 PM
MynameisKing

Sutter's coaching, intensity, and his motivational expertise combined to the team's solid and talented but underachieving roster multiplied by the Stanley Cup Playoffs equals the success you are seeing now.

MynameisKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

I mentioned this on the main playoff board.

With Penner and Stoll coming to life and the re-emergence of Richardson there are no passengers or liabilities on the roster right now. No Randy Jones, No Ryan Smyth, No Raitis Ivanans, No Kevin Westgarth, No Richard Clown, No Jeff Halpern.

Every single line and D pair Sutter sends out are doing their jobs excellent and contributing in their own ways. Dustin Penner has found his 30 goal hands again, Brad Richardson, Jordan Nolan and Colin Fraser are hustling and creating havoc on the forecheck. Jarret Stoll has finally embraced being a bottom line player and is playing his best hockey ever as a King with Lewis and Dwight King. Richards is playing his best hockey of the season and not enough great things can be said about the play of Kopitar and Brown.

Defensively, Voynov is the only guy struggling a little bit but that is to be expected from a rookie defender, that is why he is with Mitchell, the Kings best defender. Greene has a brain this playoffs, Doughty is playing like a Norris winner and Scuderi and Martinez have been solid back there.

And Quick has shown he is indeed a playoff goaltender after some struggles the last couple of years.

Last edited by Herby: 05-04-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 03:42 PM
BallPointHammer
Franchise Enforcer

All of the above plus:
1. Learning to overcome adversity - not immediately meeting high expectations, starting season in Europe, a mediocre midseason record, coaching change, major trade, huge offensive slump.
2. Developing a playing style and an identity under Sutter.
3. Learning to play well during an extended period of intense pressure, even to just make the playoffs.

BallPointHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

One of the greatest mysteries of this playoffs! Kings are playing like a contender but remember when Ottawa played dominantly for the first three rounds... then got smoked by a hard fore checking team in the Ducks. Still, seeing them playing like this is truly remarkable... they're living to their potential and most of the players are stepping up.

Giuseppe Sallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2012, 04:52 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
One of the greatest mysteries of this playoffs! Kings are playing like a contender but remember when Ottawa played dominantly for the first three rounds... then got smoked by a hard fore checking team in the Ducks. Still, seeing them playing like this is truly remarkable... they're living to their potential and most of the players are stepping up.
I think the Ducks pretty much walked right through the first 3 rounds as well.

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote