HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 11.0

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2012, 12:50 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

vCash: 500
2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 11.0

continue here.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
04-19-2012, 02:35 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
easily claims first post

Old
04-19-2012, 03:42 AM
S Bah

I hope Forsberg is still on the board when the Habs pick and if they can get another first round pick at the draft take Radek Faksa.Nieves,Sutter,Matteau,Samuelsson, Frk, Matej Beran and Jordan Schmaltz are other players that I think would fit into the new Habs team. All of these players are hard working team oriented players with skill and character.

Old
04-19-2012, 07:18 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

"Sean Monahan (who may not even go top-5 in 2013) is someone I'd take over anyone not named Yakupov in this draft. Too bad this draft doesn't appear to be as deep as next years."

There is always a tendency to glorify next year's draft. I remember at the draft in 2011, lots of people were saying that 2011 was a good draft but 2012 would be even better, but numerous 1st round prospects had poor years(Frk Ryan Ebert Maatta etc) and others got hurt(Reilly Galchenyuk Koekkoek etc) and the bottom half got weak.

Old
04-19-2012, 07:39 AM
Leo Getz

Good, if next years draft is deep we will still pick up a good player when we do better than we did this year.

Old
04-19-2012, 07:44 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
I hope Forsberg is still on the board when the Habs pick and if they can get another first round pick at the draft take Radek Faksa.Nieves,Sutter,Matteau,Samuelsson, Frk, Matej Beran and Jordan Schmaltz are other players that I think would fit into the new Habs team. All of these players are hard working team oriented players with skill and character.
If Forsberg gone at 3 maybe they trade down and draft Teravainen but still in top 10 pick, while adding another first round in 2013 draft. Where it is better draft.

Old
04-19-2012, 07:46 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Getz View Post
Good, if next years draft is deep we will still pick up a good player when we do better than we did this year.
Well we should, 4 picks in the first 2 rounds that's assuming we don't trade any picks or add others. Trade up and draft MacKinnon

Old
04-19-2012, 08:03 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
If Forsberg gone at 3 maybe they trade down and draft Teravainen but still in top 10 pick, while adding another first round in 2013 draft. Where it is better draft.
If Yakupov and Forsberg go 1-2, would Galcheyuk be worth the risk? Can we trade down from 3-6 and gamble that he is still there?

Old
04-19-2012, 08:12 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
If Yakupov and Forsberg go 1-2, would Galcheyuk be worth the risk? Can we trade down from 3-6 and gamble that he is still there?
If the Habs scouting staff is high on Galchenyuk i would not take that risk. If he's there at 3 and we like him i'd take him without a second thought.

Old
04-19-2012, 08:25 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

The nature of this draft with the top players being so different makes it such that Scouting staffs will likely have different opinions. Odds are Timmins will get the guy he wants at 3 (except Yakupov).

Old
04-19-2012, 08:28 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
If the Habs scouting staff is high on Galchenyuk i would not take that risk. If he's there at 3 and we like him i'd take him without a second thought.
My only concern on him is a new GM coming in and hearing/seeing the Markov issues might really shy away from a player having basically missed all season with a similar injury. Based on his play and production at 16, Galcheyuk is a legit top 2-3 pick with #1 center potential, bigger Roenick or smaller E.Staal.

Old
04-19-2012, 08:29 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
You can't really gamble in this year's draft. Teams will have different list... Way different...

You can move down one spot or two because teams usually get a good idea of how the top 5 will unfold but that's about it.

Old
04-19-2012, 08:37 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Leafs would take him

Old
04-19-2012, 08:38 AM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
My only concern on him is a new GM coming in and hearing/seeing the Markov issues might really shy away from a player having basically missed all season with a similar injury. Based on his play and production at 16, Galcheyuk is a legit top 2-3 pick with #1 center potential, bigger Roenick or smaller E.Staal.
I think if we pass it him up it's because he's missed a full year of development time, and it won't have anything to do with Markov.

It would be nice to know who Columbus is going to pick. Edmonton winning the draft lottery totally screwed things up since most people assumed they were taking a D. Now, it's really up in the air who's going to be there.

Old
04-19-2012, 08:53 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkovsKnee View Post
I think if we pass it him up it's because he's missed a full year of development time, and it won't have anything to do with Markov.

It would be nice to know who Columbus is going to pick. Edmonton winning the draft lottery totally screwed things up since most people assumed they were taking a D. Now, it's really up in the air who's going to be there.
I don't think it changes much, just the team who picks the D is reversed. Maybe Columbus will try at rebuilding with a defense first mentality since nothing else has worked for them. This is an excellent opportunity for them.

Old
04-19-2012, 09:07 AM
SnapVirus

Well this is like the first draft MTL is low since Price. And it is the ****tyest group of prospects, we cant even know what will look like the picks after number 1. At least, last years, we had a good idea. This year, even number 2, looks likes a player that could bust. Ayoye.

Man, I hope Timmins knows already who he wants and that he'll get him.

2011 with 3rd OV we could have got : Huberdeau or Larsson. (1 french canadian).
2010 with 3rd OV we could have got : Gudbransson or Skinner. (1 french canadian, 1 canadian)
2009 with 3rd OV we could have got : Matt Duchene or Evender Kane. (2 canadians)

Those are really good players. But we cant even be sure that our 3rd pick will be as good as them, because all of them are questions marks. Gosh.

Old
04-19-2012, 09:13 AM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
easily claims first post
Ahh, the Best Post Available, well done

Old
04-19-2012, 09:14 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
I don't think it changes much, just the team who picks the D is reversed. Maybe Columbus will try at rebuilding with a defense first mentality since nothing else has worked for them. This is an excellent opportunity for them.
Unless they trade up to get Yakupov(unlikely given their history with Russians), I can see them taking Murray as a very safe and solid pick to build with. They can focus on getting young forwards in return for Nash.

Old
04-19-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
Well this is like the first draft MTL is low since Price. And it is the ****tyest group of prospects, we cant even know what will look like the picks after number 1. At least, last years, we had a good idea. This year, even number 2, looks likes a player that could bust. Ayoye.

2010 with 3rd OV we could have got : Gudbransson or Skinner. (1 french canadian, 1 canadian)
2009 with 3rd OV we could have got : Matt Duchene or Evender Kane. (2 canadians)

Those are really good players. But we cant even be sure that our 3rd pick will be as good as them, because all of them are questions marks. Gosh.
lol...

I don't know, i'm pretty excited at the thought of adding one of Forsberg, Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, Dumba or Murray. I'd be ecstatic with any of those players...

Old
04-19-2012, 09:19 AM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkovsKnee View Post
I agree. I've been hoping for months that we'd get Forsberg. When it looked like the draft order would be CBJ, Oil, then Habs. I thought CBJ would have to go with Yakupov and Oil would take a Dman leaving Forsberg for us. After winning the lottery, I can't see the Oil passing on Yakupov at #1 but I also wouldn't be surprised if Oil trades down (maybe with Leafs?) to a spot where they can still likely get a Murray or Dumba. No matter what, I think whoever picks 1st will go with Yakupov and I think CBJ goes with Forsberg. CBJ are still likely a bit shy to take a Russian and they are a lot deeper at defense than they are at forward....they badly need an impact forward (especially if they are trading Nash).

So I think there's a good chance Yakupov and Forsberg go 1 and 2 and are off the board when we're on the clock at #3.

Old
04-19-2012, 09:19 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

The top 5 this draft is up there with the last few years. Yakupov is as good as anybody who has come out the last 2 years and maybe as good a prospect as Stamkos(though he may not maximise his potential like Stamkos did). Murray Forsberg are as good as guys like Huberdeau Larssen Gudbranson Kane Duchene. Galchenyuk has unquestionned skill but his knee and missed year poses a question. Grigorenko has top 3 skill but questions about coimpete level and grit plus the Russian factor, by draft time I think he'll be a consensus #4-6 guy moreso than top 3.

Old
04-19-2012, 09:27 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:

So the moral of the story is that this draft would be better if there were more Canadians and French Canadians at the top of the draft?

They have less chance of busting like Thomas Hickey and Cam Barker.

Old
04-19-2012, 09:29 AM
poetryinmotion

Did anyone catch that stupid devilish grin on Oil's GM face when they won the draft lottery couple days ago? I don't think they will be trading the pick.

Old
04-19-2012, 09:47 AM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

Put me on the Galchenyuk bandwagon. The ACL injury shouldn't matter at such a young age.

Old
04-19-2012, 09:51 AM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Did anyone catch that stupid devilish grin on Oil's GM face when they won the draft lottery couple days ago? I don't think they will be trading the pick.
I'd say 100% of the people watching the draft lottery caught that stupid grin..

Closed Thread