HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

What kind of coach do you want?

Old
04-23-2012, 02:44 PM
KirbyDots

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Listen to the players. They absolutely believe in TM. Too many quotes to count for the respect they give to his message about playoffs. Probably stronger about the playoffs than all of the players combined in terms of mindset.

If you look at the play, they absolutely adhere to his message as they have all modified their games per his instructions.
I don't think Todd is the problem either and have heard the players love and respect him in the past. If the players are playing in line with his system and the team is still failing to win then the system could be flawed. I don't think it is as I've seen what this team looks like when they are clicking. There must be some sort of disconnect somewhere, possibly too much responsibility given to too few coaches. I think a big problem is chemistry and that's a tricky problem to fix that needs to be addressed by coaching staff and management. I have faith in Koala, but the team we saw for most of this year isn't nearly the team we've seen in the past. I think he needs some help to regain his lost form.

KirbyDots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Squeeven

Not sure what kind of coach I want but we have the right defensemen to play a similar style to the Blues' defensive style. I think our top 6 just needs a few tweaks and Marleau and Pavs need to stay.

Squeeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 03:13 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
I don't think Todd is the problem either and have heard the players love and respect him in the past. If the players are playing in line with his system and the team is still failing to win then the system could be flawed. I don't think it is as I've seen what this team looks like when they are clicking. There must be some sort of disconnect somewhere, possibly too much responsibility given to too few coaches. I think a big problem is chemistry and that's a tricky problem to fix that needs to be addressed by coaching staff and management. I have faith in Koala, but the team we saw for most of this year isn't nearly the team we've seen in the past. I think he needs some help to regain his lost form.
Part of the disconnect is personnel. Part of that is drafting/development and what is available in terms of realistic trades and UFA. That is just to start. They have overemphasized size over speed. IMO, it's a lot of little pieces. TM comes from a place where they are given long development and mature players. Very limited TOI for rookies/younger players and he has a team where the disparity between young and old is getting wider. The place he came from had a set in stone system for introducing younger guys with a system of long mentorship at the NHL level. They also have limited roster turnover. I think there is a hole in the system. Almost every team that succeeds has some young guy that has the coach and team going "No, no, no . . . YES!" That is to defeat the tapes. In a sense, the Sharks are very disciplined, creatures of habit which makes them a little easier to defend each year. I think he has to introduce more flexibility in the system and impress upon the players that they need to use that flexibility to address what the opposition throws against them. I think the org has to push on the mentorship issue to better utilize the younger players beyond Couture. I don't think there is a lot the Sharks can do to get better in terms of trades. Close a hole, open a hole. They need to address the issue of closing holes through prospects and the draft.

In the long run, I don't think a cup is in the cards for this group or any reworking of this group. But, I do think that they can set changes in culture and system that will bear fruit down the road. I don't see TM as an impediment to that endeavor.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 03:14 PM
Mhoogasian94123

Maybe this is a stupid question but.....

Why didn't we fire Koala during that dreadful road trip and horrible free fall? We could have had Hitch coaching us. Could we have gotten further than we did? I think so. I want a coach similar to Hitch, Tortz, or Torterella. Koala is so boring. He should be a college professor instead of a coach. If we could convince Detroit to give us Babcock and Holland that would be what this team needs.

I don't believe another year with the Koala will help us any better than without him.

Mhoogasian94123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 03:20 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

vCash: 567
It's funny that everyone here wants Babcock, but over on the Detroit boards they are complaining about him and want McLellan back. The grass is always greener, I guess.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 03:26 PM
Phu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhoogasian94123 View Post
Why didn't we fire Koala during that dreadful road trip and horrible free fall? We could have had Hitch coaching us.
Hitchcock became the Blues coach in November. So this is all kinds of wrong and invalid.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 03:27 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
It's funny that everyone here wants Babcock, but over on the Detroit boards they are complaining about him and want McLellan back. The grass is always greener, I guess.
Its why if management listened to fans they'd be sitting right next to them in no time.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 03:32 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
I think so. I want a coach similar to Hitch, Tortz, or Torterella. .
I don't think coaches like Tippett, Trotz, and Hitchcock are good coaches for the players the Sharks have. They play a very stifling defensive system because their forwards aren't as skilled. With the Sharks' core, I'd want a more offensive minded coach, like a Laviolette or Quenneville.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 03:33 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
All coaches come with positives and negatives. It's the balance and the fit.

It astounds me how some are calling for coaches whose basic systems don't fit the Sharks (Tippett and Hitch who are both very good coaches). Then you get to those who want fire and brimstone which likely would be an unmitigated disaster with the Sharks personnel (MacT, Torts, Keenan, Crawford, etc.) and likely because the poster is feeding his own anger at this season's results. Veteran coaches for another group where there hasn't been a coach in recent history who has won two cups. The recent path to finding the win is a young coach with an impressive resume and new ideas. Those new ideas get old as that same coach gets more experience in the league.

Old
04-23-2012, 03:38 PM
KirbyDots

Quote:
Part of the disconnect is personnel. Part of that is drafting/development and what is available in terms of realistic trades and UFA. That is just to start. They have overemphasized size over speed. IMO, it's a lot of little pieces. TM comes from a place where they are given long development and mature players. Very limited TOI for rookies/younger players and he has a team where the disparity between young and old is getting wider. The place he came from had a set in stone system for introducing younger guys with a system of long mentorship at the NHL level. They also have limited roster turnover. I think there is a hole in the system. Almost every team that succeeds has some young guy that has the coach and team going "No, no, no . . . YES!" That is to defeat the tapes. In a sense, the Sharks are very disciplined, creatures of habit which makes them a little easier to defend each year. I think he has to introduce more flexibility in the system and impress upon the players that they need to use that flexibility to address what the opposition throws against them. I think the org has to push on the mentorship issue to better utilize the younger players beyond Couture. I don't think there is a lot the Sharks can do to get better in terms of trades. Close a hole, open a hole. They need to address the issue of closing holes through prospects and the draft.

In the long run, I don't think a cup is in the cards for this group or any reworking of this group. But, I do think that they can set changes in culture and system that will bear fruit down the road. I don't see TM as an impediment to that endeavor.
I agree with most of your observations. My opinion is simply that they need a shot in the arm as far as the coaching goes. Bring in someone that will not drastically change the system but will add to it in a way to refresh the creativity. The team needs a new voice to sing alone side of TM.

KirbyDots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 03:39 PM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

vCash: 516
I'm down for a Coach Q. But like Easy was saying (see post #34). So there you go.

Also I read someone said that Havlat was a cancer in the locker room for Minnesota.

anyone think a cancer is going on in the Sharks locker room?

HOOCH2173 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 03:42 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCH2173 View Post
I'm down for a Coach Q. But like Easy was saying (see post #34). So there you go.

Also I read someone said that Havlat was a cancer in the locker room for Minnesota.

Frankly, no.

As for building through the draft, I can only thank the lords that DW didn't trade his first. Maybe he saw this coming?

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 03:48 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
I agree with most of your observations. My opinion is simply that they need a shot in the arm as far as the coaching goes. Bring in someone that will not drastically change the system but will add to it in a way to refresh the creativity. The team needs a new voice to sing alone side of TM.
I agree with this. Most are aware. At first I looked at no trades as being ideal but after researching it, I found that limited trades/turnover worked best. DW has been overboard for a few years. Scalpel, not meatcleaver. Some coaches turn over assistants to get the same effect, particularly offensive assistants.

Old
04-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Mhoogasian94123

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I don't think coaches like Tippett, Trotz, and Hitchcock are good coaches for the players the Sharks have. They play a very stifling defensive system because their forwards aren't as skilled. With the Sharks' core, I'd want a more offensive minded coach, like a Laviolette or Quenneville.
That's fair to say. I agree that we need an offensive minded coach. Could Tippet or Q be available if either doesn't make it out of the 1st round? I actually like Quenneville more because he seems to be a more uptempo type coach.

Old
04-23-2012, 03:50 PM
Mhoogasian94123

Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
Hitchcock became the Blues coach in November. So this is all kinds of wrong and invalid.
Oops. Sorry. I take it back.

Old
04-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Phu

Quote:
That's fair to say. I agree that we need an offensive minded coach. Could Tippet or Q be available if either doesn't make it out of the 1st round? I actually like Quenneville more because he seems to be a more uptempo type coach.
Hmm hadn't given coach q much thought but he was able to overcome Niemi in the playoffs with offensive power, so that's a huge plus even if we can get rid of him. Can't hurt to get our offense back up, that is our area of strength. You sometimes wonder if the team defense concept was a mistake, I mean we were never the best in the league in any area playing that style. We only have the horses to be a superelite offense so maybe sacrificing that for a defensive concentration was the wrong way to go.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 04:35 PM
Posey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
hahahahaha.

Posey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 04:50 PM
gonegonegone*

it's clear which teams are having success in the west - system teams that combine a stifling defense with opportunistic goal scoring. not saying a trap, but let's be honest, these teams are running systems even more life sucking than the 90s sets.

nash? LA? stl? phx? all four were in the league gutter for scoring but tops for GA, and look who advanced to the show this year. it wasn't the offensive teams.

imo this is the way of the future. you can get players who do well in a system much cheaper than it takes to get an offensively talented guy. and then you don't have to pay them as much when you re-upp them. the cap structure of all of our offensive teams is bursting, witness chicago and vancouver and detroit. also i don't think we can keep up at any rate with the cap (we didn't this past season), we are not a rich team, and only 2 po games is going to kill the bottom line for this year. and offensive players can be so streaky. witness marleau. guy is always hot or cold, and when he is cold, that 7 mil contract could be replaced by a strong fast defensive guy for less than half that amount, and for the same amount of offensive production (i could get 0 points in the playoffs too!)

that said and ive said this before, i would love a guy like tripet. maybe we can steal him off? phx is a dead team after all. i think we need to start thinking of migrating to a defensive system, because i really don't think we have the money to spend to the nutty cap raises that we are seeing. and these type of systems work and work well.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 05:08 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
If you are down for Coach Q, you should be more than okay with Mike Haviland. Havi was a finalist for several positions last offseason. Actual media sources linked him to the Sharks last time they went searching for a coach (not just my lobbying), if TMac gets fired, Havi is likely to get a hard look and a chance to pitch his system to DW.

ChompChomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Mafoofoo
Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCH2173 View Post

Yes. James Sheppard is ruining the San Jose Sharks.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 05:20 PM
Eighth Fret

Quote:
All coaches come with positives and negatives. It's the balance and the fit.

It astounds me how some are calling for coaches whose basic systems don't fit the Sharks (Tippett and Hitch who are both very good coaches). Then you get to those who want fire and brimstone which likely would be an unmitigated disaster with the Sharks personnel (MacT, Torts, Keenan, Crawford, etc.) and likely because the poster is feeding his own anger at this season's results. Veteran coaches for another group where there hasn't been a coach in recent history who has won two cups. The recent path to finding the win is a young coach with an impressive resume and new ideas. Those new ideas get old as that same coach gets more experience in the league.
Tippett's system wouldn't fit the Shraks, but if we're talking about revamping the team and the way we play then I'd want bring in a guy sooner rather than later. Let him assess the pieces that can stay and the pieces we need to move.

Eighth Fret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 05:25 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Yes. James Sheppard is ruining the San Jose Sharks.
Indeed.

SoupyFIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 05:29 PM
Melek Taus

Before the Sharks hired Tmac I wanted Torterella. I know he interviewed for the job too. If Tmac is fired I want a Torts style coach, someone with some fire. We never have any accountability

Melek Taus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Mhoogasian94123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melek Taus View Post
Before the Sharks hired Tmac I wanted Torterella. I know he interviewed for the job too. If Tmac is fired I want a Torts style coach, someone with some fire. We never have any accountability
See post #4 and you will find a picture of your coach.

Old
04-23-2012, 05:39 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melek Taus View Post
A Torts style coach is good for the short term but it has a very limited life span because it inevitably sacrifices the quality of the environment by doing so. The problem with that kind of coach here is that the talent is not there to reap the rewards of that decision.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote