HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

What kind of coach do you want?

Old
04-23-2012, 05:50 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhoogasian94123 View Post
Why didn't we fire Koala during that dreadful road trip and horrible free fall? We could have had Hitch coaching us. Could we have gotten further than we did? I think so. I want a coach similar to Hitch, Tortz, or Torterella. Koala is so boring. He should be a college professor instead of a coach. If we could convince Detroit to give us Babcock and Holland that would be what this team needs.

I don't believe another year with the Koala will help us any better than without him.
No we couldn't when Hitch was hired for the Blues we were currently first in win % in the Western Conference. Why would DW fire Tmac during that stretch?

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Mhoogasian94123

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
No we couldn't when Hitch was hired for the Blues we were currently first in win % in the Western Conference. Why would DW fire Tmac during that stretch?
I have already realized that I made a mistake with that statement, ok?
Besides a lot of GM's perform a coaching change during a drop like that.
I'm tired of Koala. It's the same BS excuse and same sorry ass line. "We haven't played the perfect game." **YAWN**

Mhoogasian94123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 06:17 PM
Linkster
LTIR'ed off

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post

Sharks announcing an Enhanced Coaching System Upgrade for the 2012-13 season:

Code Name: "Dance, puppet, dance."

Linkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
it's clear which teams are having success in the west - system teams that combine a stifling defense with opportunistic goal scoring. not saying a trap, but let's be honest, these teams are running systems even more life sucking than the 90s sets.

nash? LA? stl? phx? all four were in the league gutter for scoring but tops for GA, and look who advanced to the show this year. it wasn't the offensive teams.

imo this is the way of the future. you can get players who do well in a system much cheaper than it takes to get an offensively talented guy. and then you don't have to pay them as much when you re-upp them. the cap structure of all of our offensive teams is bursting, witness chicago and vancouver and detroit. also i don't think we can keep up at any rate with the cap (we didn't this past season), we are not a rich team, and only 2 po games is going to kill the bottom line for this year. and offensive players can be so streaky. witness marleau. guy is always hot or cold, and when he is cold, that 7 mil contract could be replaced by a strong fast defensive guy for less than half that amount, and for the same amount of offensive production (i could get 0 points in the playoffs too!)

that said and ive said this before, i would love a guy like tripet. maybe we can steal him off? phx is a dead team after all. i think we need to start thinking of migrating to a defensive system, because i really don't think we have the money to spend to the nutty cap raises that we are seeing. and these type of systems work and work well.

You're basing all of this off of one playoff round. Going through a list of the last ten Cup finalists (Boston, Vancouver, Chicago, Philly, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Anaheim, Ottawa, and Carolina, with Edmonton's fluke run being the exception), their offenses all ranged from good to great. Defense and goaltending will get you far, but you still have to score goals to win championships. The Sharks replaced Heatley and Seto's goal production with a 1/4 of a season of Havlat, and subbed out the Wellwood-Pavelski-Mitchell line for Handzus and co., and they subsequently went from the WCF to the #7 seed and a first round exit. That's not a coincidence.

Tkachuk4MVP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 06:48 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighth Fret View Post
Tippett's system wouldn't fit the Shraks, but if we're talking about revamping the team and the way we play then I'd want bring in a guy sooner rather than later. Let him assess the pieces that can stay and the pieces we need to move.
Yeah. It's an issue of speed. The speed issue has to be addressed either way and I haven't seen any movement except for the past trade deadline in which they did. If the guy has impressive credentials but lacks speed, that has been fine with DW. That sort of thinking has to go in the circular file.

Tippett would likely require a massive turnover. He is also pretty vet oriented. That is one thing that concerns me with the Sharks. What are they going to do as far as coaching when they really do have to rebuild? Someone like Renney is good for a young team but don't expect playoffs. You will develop players with his type. DeBoer is another good one for young guys.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 07:14 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Todd is fine

Shaw and Woodcraft are not.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 07:25 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melek Taus View Post
Before the Sharks hired Tmac I wanted Torterella. I know he interviewed for the job too. If Tmac is fired I want a Torts style coach, someone with some fire. We never have any accountability
Didn't Torts just blow a 2 to 0 series lead?

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 07:27 PM
Phu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
The Sharks replaced Heatley and Seto's goal production with a 1/4 of a season of Havlat, and subbed out the Wellwood-Pavelski-Mitchell line for Handzus and co., and they subsequently went from the WCF to the #7 seed and a first round exit. That's not a coincidence.
Actually statistically it is a coincidence.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 07:43 PM
Sharksfan83

If we keep Marleau, I want Roenick to be signed as the "Motivator Assistant Coach"

I don't know if he's looking, but I would like to see Hedican get a shot at defensive coach.

Sharksfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 08:42 PM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Yes. James Sheppard is ruining the San Jose Sharks.
No, there really is a cancer in the locker room.

But don't worry, it's just a benign growth.. or a Marloma if you wanna get technical. Totally harmless. Probably won't even notice it's there!

MadmanSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:38 PM
CupfortheSharks

I want a coach that knows if you win the physical battle you usually win the series and one that instills that in our players.

CupfortheSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 10:07 PM
goofman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeven View Post
Not sure what kind of coach I want but we have the right defensemen to play a similar style to the Blues' defensive style. I think our top 6 just needs a few tweaks and Marleau and Pavs need to stay.
If the Sharks played the style of hockey next season that the Blues have played this season, that would be unbearable. Whether or not it would result in a cup would be a moot point, as I don't think that I'd have it in me to slog it through 82 regular season games + playoffs of that system.

goofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 10:11 PM
HBSauce
Dirts McGirts

Kicking the tires here, but what about Craig MacTavish?

I know I seem crazy but he knows how to coach a PK...and he usually had hard working teams in Edmonton with the little skill he had.

HBSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 10:26 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings ...

vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
Todd is fine
as an assistant ...

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 10:47 PM
5H4RK5

Top 5, hopefully Stanley Cup winning credentials type coach. I think Tmac is a strategist and developer but I doubt many teams fear the game planning or presense. We need a coach where teams have to stay up and game plan against. DW needs to up his game as well his acquisitions have been hit or miss. While squandering a ton of talent in our youth prospect pool. I say we look to add a top 6 in the draft so we are up to date with the up and coming teams. If a top 5 coach is available we should make a list just in case we forget, then we look at every opportunity to bring them in.

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 11:26 PM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

Quote:
Todd is fine

I have to agree over all, although the more i think about this the more TMac could go. Whos better is the problem

So, If we are looking for a coach, what criteria would we want, firey like torts, won a cup, who is actually available out there right now, or soon to be available if they lost their job...

Last edited by VP and GM: 04-24-2012 at 11:42 PM.
VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 03:02 AM
murdock1116

I would the Sharks to get a Peter Laviolette type of coach. A philosopher style with a father figure approach. He also seems to have a great offensive system with emphasis on intensity.

murdock1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 04:05 AM
Bizz06
Registered Goon

vCash: 155
I was kinda hoping Lindy Ruff would become available after the Sabres missed the playoffs, oh well.

Bizz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 07:08 AM
Arz1

Sharks need some Hanta Yo at this point.

Arz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 09:59 AM
Lee Van Cleef*

Lee Van Cleef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 10:51 AM
bullslugg
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokers Gonna Choke View Post
Beautiful!

bullslugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:23 AM
SnarkAttack
Registered Loser

Quote:
Todd is fine

This.

I'd give Mclellan a chance to find new coaches, and make them count this time. If Todd Richards doesn't get re-signed by the BJs... maybe?

SnarkAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Iron Chef

I think I'm biased by what I've seen on 24/7 and wouldn't be able to make a really objective decision since I don't know how T-Mac is behind closed doors.

Part of me wants a Torterella that could light a fire when needed, but I've heard Ron Wilson was like that. I like Dan Byslma, Laviolette, and Boudreau

But realistically, count me in the camp who wants to give Todd another shot with new assistants who can coach special teams better.

Last edited by Iron Chef: 04-25-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 12:23 PM
do0glas

just let JT be a player coach

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 01:29 PM
TealTownUSA

vCash: 50
who here agrees that this organization (viewed as a "nice" place to play) should cut the distractions, commercials, buddy buddy bs and just get a coach that can motivate and have them focused on hockey?

don't get me wrong...i do love sharkbyte and for our players to visit these sick kids in the hospital, but some of it just gotta stop. seems like they're f@#$ing around most of the time during practice. pay em to play hockey

TealTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote