HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Marc Staal or Dan Girardi to the Lightning

Old
04-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Brian28

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
The deal is predicated upon TBL needs players so quality for depth may be acceptable, or at least more beneficial, than coke for pepsi.
They would get 3 assets now for 2 assets now and 1 asset later.
That's a valid consideration commanding premium you overlooked.
I'm willing to make a bold move with our D, but I want top dollar. Girardi + MDZ offer more now, particularly in total production now, than Hedman does NOW. Obviously, NY gambles Hedman will grow into bigger shoes, and takes a reasonable risk at this juncture as to that.

Same w/10th in draft. Odds are that will take at least 2 years to get to NHL.
Again, 2 Ds contributing at high level NOW is part of that equation.

I disagree with 'every time', but to extent applicable, I am not usually discussing Fedotenko for a Fedotenko clone. This team still needs talent upgrade, especially at sniper, so I'm usually trying something that is not coke for pepsi. That usually involves significant degree or number of players, usually more talented.

As a result if not properly constructed deal could be viewed as you describe.
But bold moves often are needed for progress (Ranger trades of Amonte, Gardiner in Cup year on paper didn't make sense, etc.).

The question is not the Red Sox didn't want to trade Ted Williams, but if they did, and got enough premium overpayment compensation (but not ridiculous massive overcompensation) in return, would it be profitable for them to do so?

I say, if it does, and proposal is arguably a win-win, consider to think outside the box, that's my suggestion, look at it all.
The problem is your proposals are never win win. They are win NY and meh for the other team. Rebuilding teams (or teams near a rebuild position) almost never trade high potential players as they are their core to build around. When they do trade you end up with more incidents of McDonald for Gomez or Carter for Voracek and Couturier. There is a very good reasons teams almost never move legit superstars.

Try looking at it like this ...we're both rebuilding cars and need some critical pieces. You're offering a door, a windshield, and a tire for the 454 cuin engine I've got. Yes the trade would make my car look pretty compared to before but now I need something to actually move the car.

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 05:00 PM
bernmeister

vCash: 500
Quote:
The problem is your proposals are never win win. They are win NY and meh for the other team.
Disagree as to rule and exception to the rule.

Quote:
Rebuilding teams (or teams near a rebuild position) almost never trade high potential players as they are their core to build around. When they do trade you end up with more incidents of McDonald for Gomez or Carter for Voracek and Couturier. There is a very good reasons teams almost never move legit superstars.
Assume you meant McDonagh,
As to otherwise, this is not a statement that can be uniformly applied but one that depends on the circumstances.
Sometimes you need/3 good players instead of one premium player.
Sometimes opposite.

Quote:
Try looking at it like this ...we're both rebuilding cars and need some critical pieces. You're offering a door, a windshield, and a tire for the 454 cuin engine I've got. Yes the trade would make my car look pretty compared to before but now I need something to actually move the car.
I disagree as to inferred degree of disparity particularly as to within case of basically Girardi + MDZ for Hedman.
Also, ALL cars need door, + windshield + tire + some kind of engine.
So while you need to move the car (engine) you ALSO need the other stuff.

bernmeister is online now   Reply With Quote