HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Underrated Prospects

Old
04-24-2012, 06:21 PM
OHLFan8771

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
People were kind of pushing him aside the year of the OHL draft, they didn't really talk about him, said he's too small, riding his name, etc.

He's not a bad player yet he rarely makes the top 30 of rankings (even mind but it was more an oversite)
Rankings for what? the NHL draft for his age, I think he will be a top 10 pick if he progresses the way he should. The reason people pushed him aside in the OHL draft was because he did this and manipulated his was down the draft, still would not report and found his way to London.

OHLFan8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 07:55 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

I think Mark Pysyk's upside is generally underrated.

Not that I'd be against trading him for a certain level of offensive talent, but I really think that his combination of skating and smarts on a solid-enough frame will allow him to transcend the "he's another Jordan Leopold" scouting reports, especially on the defensive side of things.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 07:57 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Kirill Kabanov.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 08:24 PM
Droj

From the Canucks, I'd say
Frank Corrado
Patrick Mcnally
Alex Friesen

Droj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 08:34 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Kirill Kabanov.
nope

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 01:17 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Anyone from the Wild really outside of Granlund and maybe Coyle.

Brodin is rated lower than Klefblom. Larsson is hardly talked about. Kuemper or Gustafsson either. Haula, probably no one on HFBoard's knows who he is but everyone knows who Bjugstad is.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 05:49 AM
blinkman360
Norris

From the Isles I'd say Calvin de Haan. He hasn't been rushed, and while Isles fans will talk all day about not rushing prospects I think they are disappointed that Calvin isn't a full-timer yet. Either way, I think he's going to answer a lot of the questions that the Isles have on the blue-line next year.

As far as guys who weren't drafted 1st or 2nd round, I'd say Andrey Pedan. Really excited to see how he continues to develop.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:49 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Always positive

Hmm since other ducks players are getting mentioned i'll bring up two personal favorites of mine....

Andy Welinski, last year 6 goals 8 assists in 51 games, and a +10
This year in 54 games jumped to 15/22/37 but the +36 really stands out to me
http://www.gamblershockey.com/archiv.../andy-welinski
According to their website he's already 6'2 and 192 pounds
Things you notice is that he can skate and has a wicked shot, I believe he's NCAA bound. If we lose Schultz, Welinski could very well develop similarly to him

other is Chris Wagner, he led all underclassmen in division 1 in scoring and is known as a very gritty player with 2 way game he really made a big impression last summer during rookie camp

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:30 AM
flamebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Erik Haula - was rated in the top 60...Minnesota got him in the 7th round.
Bang on, gotta say he tops the list for most underrated. One of the NCAAs best kepy secrets

flamebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 10:30 AM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamebird View Post
Bang on, gotta say he tops the list for most underrated. One of the NCAAs best kepy secrets
Haula was features in the draft preview from thn actually. So obviously someone at thn thought highly of him.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 10:34 AM
Trvp Lord

Send a message via MSN to Trvp Lord
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Kirill Kabanov.
Hell to the NO. Disagree.

Trvp Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 10:37 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Erik Haula took a very unconventional route to the NHL compared to many of his Suomi colleagues. In fact it benefited him immensely. Taking it slow from ńssat to Shattuck St. Mary's to the Omaha Lancers then to the U of Minnesota.

Good journey for a very talented player. Does anybody know if he's gotten his military service done?

Toni Rajala ruined himself. I am very disappointed in him. Came over and just messed around in Brandon then went back home to do his service. Now he's struggling on a bad Ilves team. Such a waste.

I saw Haula live many times this year, was so impressed.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 10:43 AM
3 Minute Minor

People can hate on Kirill Kabanov all they want, he was the final cut of an NHL team this year, he's playing in a Memorial Cup, and he'll likely turn out to be a decent pro.

As for underrated guys, I'm going to go with an undrafted forward named Wade Murphy. It's his first crack at the NHL draft and I see him turning into a solid pro. I first noticed him while watching another solid underrated guy, Mike Reilly (Columbus Blue Jackets, 4th round 2011).

3 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 10:45 AM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudbranson4Prez View Post
Corban Knight

Drew Shore
Explain this one...

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:08 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Thilander View Post
People can hate on Kirill Kabanov all they want, he was the final cut of an NHL team this year, he's playing in a Memorial Cup, and he'll likely turn out to be a decent pro.

As for underrated guys, I'm going to go with an undrafted forward named Wade Murphy. It's his first crack at the NHL draft and I see him turning into a solid pro. I first noticed him while watching another solid underrated guy, Mike Reilly (Columbus Blue Jackets, 4th round 2011).
Um.. how is that an accomplishment with the Islanders? They'll keep young players around just for the sake of keeping them around.

For the Hawks, in the underrated category, I'll say Justin Holl.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:09 AM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
What happened with Kadri was he was so overrated people started hating him which in turn made everybody think he blows
The fact he has failed to make a team that has toiled in the bottom of the league for the last 4 years is a factor too.

I think Kadri should make the NHL next year, but there has to be some serious red flags if he doesn't.

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:41 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:

He held out the Q team who had his rights (Blainville) for a trade to Shawinigan, a team that can't even get past the second round of the Q playoffs yet incredulously are the hosts of the memorial cup. If not for them being hosts he'd never be playing in that tournament.

Playing in the memorial cup is not an argument for Kabanov's "skill". It's a symbol of his "take the easy road" "shortcut" attitude.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:56 AM
3 Minute Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
He held out the Q team who had his rights (Blainville) for a trade to Shawinigan, a team that can't even get past the second round of the Q playoffs yet incredulously are the hosts of the memorial cup. If not for them being hosts he'd never be playing in that tournament.

Playing in the memorial cup is not an argument for Kabanov's "skill". It's a symbol of his "take the easy road" "shortcut" attitude.
I don't think I said Kabanov is going to the Mem Cup due to his skill... I mention it because he's getting an experience not every hockey player has.

His skill is undeniable (by any logical folk) but his attitude is always a question mark. People can hate him all day, doesn't change the fact that he's one of the most skilled guys in the Q right now.

The Islanders were a perfect fit for Kabanov. They'll give the kid a fair chance at playing professional and I doubt he'll disappoint (we'll he'll disappoint his haters).

Edit: and ye, he held out from Blainville because he didn't want to play there... So what? Why would he waste his time with Blainville when he could go play professionally elsewhere? Does it even screw over Blainville? They picked him fairly late in a DISPERSAL DRAFT!

3 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:59 AM
fredligh

Teravainen imo, if everyone here watched all his games he would probably get the hype he deserve. Imo he should go top 3

fredligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 12:04 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallz View Post
Name a prospect on your team (or just in general) that you feel gets overlooked by the majority of posters here or just by the media in general

I'll start with two: Kyle Palmieri and Brian Dumoulin

EDIT: Although he's not on the same level as the other two guys I named, another one is Robert Czarnik
Morgan Ellis is an easy one, though he is getting a lot more hype the last 4 months after a trade toi Shawinigan. He is strong as both ends and has ++ character.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 12:14 PM
bradrich99

Agree with the Rattie vote. Very impressive kid who is getting better every day.

bradrich99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 12:16 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
I don't think I said Kabanov is going to the Mem Cup due to his skill... I mention it because he's getting an experience not every hockey player has.

His skill is undeniable (by any logical folk) but his attitude is always a question mark. People can hate him all day, doesn't change the fact that he's one of the most skilled guys in the Q right now.

The Islanders were a perfect fit for Kabanov. They'll give the kid a fair chance at playing professional and I doubt he'll disappoint (we'll he'll disappoint his haters).

Edit: and ye, he held out from Blainville because he didn't want to play there... So what? Why would he waste his time with Blainville when he could go play professionally elsewhere? Does it even screw over Blainville? They picked him fairly late in a DISPERSAL DRAFT!
If going to the memorial cup is NOT an argument, then why bring it up in the first place when the topic is him being overrated?

This isn't about screwing Blainville over, it's about being lazy and always taking the easy road. He was going to play professionally elsewhere unless they sent him to the team with the automatic bye to the memorial cup. Spare me the straw men about the consequences of his actions when it's the motive of his actions that are important when discussing him as a player.

Besides that, if he wanted to play in the memorial cup he shouldn't have embarassed himself in Moncton

Last edited by GM17*: 04-25-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old
04-25-2012, 12:27 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:

I think Kabanov is a good kid who was the victim of some bad advice. Was he a little immature at age 16/17? Sure, but I'm sure most kids are.

That said, I think the Isles are very pleased with how he has matured since being drafted. He seems to be saying and doing all the right things. I think a few months ago someone on facebook asked him to play a pickup roller hockey game and he showed up, taking the time to shake hands and take pictures with fans.

I know that people questioned his attitude around draft time, but IMO the kid has come a long way since then.

Old
04-25-2012, 12:31 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I think Kabanov is a good kid who was the victim of some bad advice. Was he a little immature at age 16/17? Sure, but I'm sure most kids are.

That said, I think the Isles are very pleased with how he has matured since being drafted. He seems to be saying and doing all the right things. I think a few months ago someone on facebook asked him to play a pickup roller hockey game and he showed up, taking the time to shake hands and take pictures with fans.

I know that people questioned his attitude around draft time, but IMO the kid has come a long way since then.
He was well known for playing road hockey with the locals in Maine, last season. He's a good guy off ice. My friend was his 'billet' or whatever they're called. "Room and board" host. Nice guy, but just doesn't think. I thought too that he came a long way, but then first were the comments about Long Island + training camp, then the hold out of Blainville, and then reneges on his loan to Farjestad. The insanity only stopped when the path of least resistance was offered to him.

Old
04-25-2012, 12:48 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
He was well known for playing road hockey with the locals in Maine, last season. He's a good guy off ice. My friend was his 'billet' or whatever they're called. "Room and board" host. Nice guy, but just doesn't think. I thought too that he came a long way, but then first were the comments about Long Island + training camp, then the hold out of Blainville, and then reneges on his loan to Farjestad. The insanity only stopped when the path of least resistance was offered to him.
I understand being skeptical.

Either way, I think we'll all find out soon whether or not he has matured. I see him getting some big minutes in Bridgeport next season, and if he can make the most of it I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a cup of coffee on Long Island.