HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Underrated Prospects

Old
04-25-2012, 01:25 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrich99 View Post
Agree with the Rattie vote. Very impressive kid who is getting better every day.
Watched 4 games. Talent is there. Is he an elite talent? I wouldn't say so at the moment.

EDIT: Not the post I wanted to quote. To lazy to go back and fix. You figure out who I was talking about.

Last edited by DuckJet: 04-25-2012 at 01:31 PM.
DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 01:30 PM
Rumcajs

vCash: 500
Mark Stone.

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 01:44 PM
SpezDispenser

Watch for Mark Boroweicki for the Sens. I think he makes the big team next year. Really solid, shut down D-man with a little bit of offense to boot.

SpezDispenser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 01:49 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
Watch for Mark Boroweicki for the Sens. I think he makes the big team next year. Really solid, shut down D-man with a little bit of offense to boot.
Is there room for him next season?

My full account
My Avs-only account
R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 01:53 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Is there room for him next season?
Depends on what happens with a few other guys and free agency, but I'd say he is already slotted into the third pairing for next year. The only signed d-men in Ottawa next year are Karlsson, Cowen, Gonchar and Phillips. Kuba , Gilroy and Carkner are all UFA's, so even if they sign one of those guys to come back, Borocop is still likely to be counted on at #6. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if the Sens signed two guys this offseason for depth, but he'll still be in the mix full time with the Sens in the top 7 regardless I think. Plus, there is basically no other d-man in the system close to ready, so I'd say he's actually going to be counted on quite a bit.

Of note, he was actually skating with the team today in practice, which means there is at least a chance he might play. I guess someone is banged up or something, but still surprising given Gilroy has been a healthy scratch and seems the logical 7th guy to step in. It raised a few eye brows at practice amongst the pundits.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 01:55 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
Depends on what happens with a few other guys and free agency, but I'd say he is already slotted into the third pairing for next year. The only signed d-men in Ottawa next year are Karlsson, Cowen, Gonchar and Phillips. Kuba , Gilroy and Carkner are all UFA's, so even if they sign one of those guys to come back, Borocop is still likely to be counted on at #6. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if the Sens signed two guys this offseason for depth, but he'll still be in the mix full time with the Sens in the top 7 regardless I think. Plus, there is basically no other d-man in the system close to ready, so I'd say he's actually going to be counted on quite a bit.
Thanks

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 02:25 PM
3 Minute Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
Besides that, if he wanted to play in the memorial cup he shouldn't have embarassed himself in Moncton
He got hurt, he came back and Moncton was playing so well without him, they didn't want to force him into the lineup. They said it themselves, it had nothing to do with his ability or attitude, they were just doing too good to mess with it. He battled injuries in Lewiston as well. Finished with a strong playoff. Went to Shawinigan and put up decent numbers playing 2nd line minutes. Pretty sure he led them in playoff scoring...

He'll play in the NHL at some point next season, whether it be 1 game, 10 games, or 50 games, he'll get a look at that level...

3 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 02:32 PM
ManByng
It's Me OilTastic

the Oil may not have great d-man depth at the NHL level yet, but they do in the system with d-men Oscar Klefbom, David Musil and Martin Marincin, and i feel all 3 are underrated. Klefbom has a legit chance to be at most a #2 d-man, but will likely be #2 to #4 at least...Musil gives us size, some toughness and good defensive play. he'll likely be a #4 or #5. Marincin is still a bit of a project, but has great potential and at around 6' 5" and 200 is a big man with great wheels for his size. if he makes it to the NHL, could be anywhere from a #1 to a 3rd pairing. i believe the Oilers will add yet another d-man at #32, or may trade up to get someone like d-men Skjei, Matheson, Bystom or Thrower, maybe Lundholm...whoever is left. we'll see.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 02:53 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Thilander View Post
He got hurt, he came back and Moncton was playing so well without him, they didn't want to force him into the lineup. They said it themselves, it had nothing to do with his ability or attitude, they were just doing too good to mess with it. He battled injuries in Lewiston as well. Finished with a strong playoff. Went to Shawinigan and put up decent numbers playing 2nd line minutes. Pretty sure he led them in playoff scoring...

He'll play in the NHL at some point next season, whether it be 1 game, 10 games, or 50 games, he'll get a look at that level...
He jumped the boards when he was benched in defiance of the coach and joined the play and got a bad penalty when Moncton was on a power play. Two of his own teammates cursed him on the bench. As a result he was benched and took flight to Russia. Then he was dropped from the Russian team (surprise) and spent the rest of the time out west while Moncton was in the Q playoffs + the memorial cup. He was not asked to rejoin the team and was quickly shipped out afterwards to Lewiston.

Either way, it's fair reason to question the likelihood of his progression to the NHL and thus reason to say he's not being underrated. His skill might be overlooked, but he's not someone I'd be interested in having on my favourite team

Last edited by GM17*: 04-25-2012 at 04:00 PM.
GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 03:17 PM
Devilspuppet666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
Mark Stone.
i really dont consider him underrated... hes a prospect that i heard people say will be anywhere from a 1st liner to 4th liner he gets alot of praise from what i heard

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 04:32 PM
Dr John Carlson
Emotional Boys 2001

vCash: 50
Besides Galiev, the Caps also have Phillip Grubauer and Caleb Herbert. Grubauer had a great year in his rookie ECHL season and Herbert had a really good season as a freshman in college.

Dr John Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 05:07 PM
3 Minute Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
He jumped the boards when he was benched in defiance of the coach and joined the play and got a bad penalty when Moncton was on a power play. Two of his own teammates cursed him on the bench. As a result he was benched and took flight to Russia. Then he was dropped from the Russian team (surprise) and spent the rest of the time out west while Moncton was in the Q playoffs + the memorial cup. He was not asked to rejoin the team and was quickly shipped out afterwards to Lewiston.

Either way, it's fair reason to question the likelihood of his progression to the NHL and thus reason to say he's not being underrated. His skill might be overlooked, but he's not someone I'd be interested in having on my favourite team
A) That story you told is quite the fairy tail.
B) "His skill might be overlooked, but he's not someone I'd be interested in having on my favorite team"
That is pretty much the definition of people underrating a hockey player

3 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 05:09 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Thilander View Post
A) That story you told is quite the fairy tail.
B) "His skill might be overlooked, but he's not someone I'd be interested in having on my favorite team"
That is pretty much the definition of people underrating a hockey player
That "fairy tale" is called a news story and was in the paper as well as on several sources online. Simple as googling "Moncton Kabanov".

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 05:17 PM
Cold Dome Beers
yaaaaaaahhhhoooooooo

This thread screams Laurent Brossoit to me. Kid has been unbelievable lately - even won the last two CHL goalie of the week awards.

It's not really a surprise he was drafted so late last year, after all, he was playing behind Jon Groenheyde for most of the season, and wasn't terribly spectacular when he did play.

Also Tobias Rieder in Kitchener

Cold Dome Beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 05:18 PM
Kiss My Rask
Enforce Boston

Ryan Spooner
David Warsofsky

04-25-2012, 07:36 PM
30whales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns4Norris View Post
Explain this one...
Why is there a need to explain? Corban scored 40+ points in back-to-back seasons and is great at faceoffs and more.

30whales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 07:37 PM
HotPaquette

Cory Conacher

HotPaquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
the Oil may not have great d-man depth at the NHL level yet, but they do in the system with d-men Oscar Klefbom, David Musil and Martin Marincin, and i feel all 3 are underrated. Klefbom has a legit chance to be at most a #2 d-man, but will likely be #2 to #4 at least...Musil gives us size, some toughness and good defensive play. he'll likely be a #4 or #5. Marincin is still a bit of a project, but has great potential and at around 6' 5" and 200 is a big man with great wheels for his size. if he makes it to the NHL, could be anywhere from a #1 to a 3rd pairing. i believe the Oilers will add yet another d-man at #32, or may trade up to get someone like d-men Skjei, Matheson, Bystom or Thrower, maybe Lundholm...whoever is left. we'll see.
The fact that you didn't even mention Martin Gernat among those defensemen tells me that he's extremely underrated. This is his first season in the WHL after being drafted out of Slovakia
5th round 122nd overall Martin Gernat - April 11th 1993 6'5 191lbs 60GP 9G 46A 55Pts +41

Last edited by Homesick: 04-25-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 07:51 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Duncan Siemens is criminally underrated.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Analyzer*

*Insert prospect(s) on my favourite team*

From the habs, for right now, Morgan Ellis. Next week he'll probably be overrated by a ton.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 07:58 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
Duncan Siemens is criminally underrated.
Justifiably so,wouldnt you agree? If anything he might of been slightly overrated last year.

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 08:59 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Password is Taco View Post
Ryan Spooner
David Warsofsky
Warsofsky is terrible. I watched him a lot in BU games last season and he made three or four horrible defensive mistakes or failed keep-ins every game. Maybe he improved dramatically, but unless he did I don't see anything there.

And I love how this entire thread is "oh my team's top prospects are ALL underrated!".

So I'm gonna go against the grain and mention some non-Sharks.

Alex Chiasson is awesome, tons of creativity.
I've heard great things about Duncan Siemens' defensive game.
I love Quinton Howden's game, great all-around player.
I think Jonathan Blum is getting pretty underrated after his poor season, but he still has tons of potential.

My personal favorite from the Sharks poll is Konrad Abeltshauser. He's basically Halifax's defense. He's huge, cannon of a shot, very mobile for his size.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 09:04 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30whales View Post
Why is there a need to explain? Corban scored 40+ points in back-to-back seasons and is great at faceoffs and more.
He scored 40+ points playing with Kristo and Nelson. I got that. Yet, I don't see how he could possibly be underrated. He's not going to be anything more than a checking line center in the NHL.

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 09:10 PM
GoJackets1
Someday.

From the Jackets its David Savard, and I also reeaally like the TJ Tynan pick.

GoJackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 09:18 PM
RipCityPuckers

what about Andy Miele, Jimmy Hayes, Danny Biega, or Alex Guptill?

RipCityPuckers is offline   Reply With Quote