The hockeyinvasion worries the National Team Manager
The flow of foreign NHL-players to the SEL contiues. When the transfer window closed this week ten new foreign players had found new SEL-teams. It makes the National Team Manages Claes Göran Wallin worried.
- Do we have any national team if this contiues?, he questioned.
The bad things about the foreign stars in the SEL is obvious. The National Teams.
In the preperations for the upcoming WJC the coach Torgy Bendelin have complained about the NHL-conflict that have limited the playing time for the juniors in the SEL. But also the A National Team has been affected.
When the SEL starts up after Christmas there are 81 foreign players in the 12 SEL teams, 30 of them are lockout players. A total of 54 lockout players are playing in the SEL, and most of them are foreigners.
Wallin hopes the teams will give more time to the swedes.
- If the work stoppage continues over there, i hope the teams bring home the swedish stars when the new transfer window opens (at the end of January). This season is difficult to get summary of, but I wonder if we have a National Team if this continues, Wallin stated.
Wallin don't dislike the NHL-players, but says there must be a limit.
- When Marty Turco left Djurgården and Björn Bjurling was given the opportunity to play he showed work with his stick around the crease that I've never seen before. Of course the foreigners bring many good things to the SEL.
Even if Bjurling was lightened up by the north american influences is uncertain if he'll get any playing time after christmas. Djurgården recently signed Jose Theodore, who 2001-02 was named NHL:s best goaltender and most valuable player. Therefore, a new swede most likley will have to sit on the bench.
Are you worried for the national team?
-Let's see what happens before we say anything. But everything has a limit, and that limit is here now, Wallin says.
Yesterday Peter Forsberg was interviewed by TV 4 and quite surprisingly he attacked Canada.
- They decide and run things their way in the hockey world, he says.
The subject was brought to attention in the Czech Republic during the World Championships last spring, when
Rob Niedermayer's dirty hit on Forsberg was shown.
- Had any other player, from another team than Canada done the same thing, it would have cost him 5 minutes
and a game misconduct, Peter Forsberg says.
That was not the case and Canada came back after being under 0-2 and won the WC gold just like 2003 in Finland, when
Sweden also lost the final to Canada.
The attack on "Foppa" was the turning point, according to many experts, and people have said that the Swedish
players should have marked directly. With their fists.
- I don't understand the talk about us being to kind. It is just silly to go and take a penalty after an incident like that won, Forsberg says.
He feels that Canada gets a lot of advantage in the big tournaments.
- They determine the practice hours, they run everything, Forsberg says.
Frölunda Hockey Club, Loui Eriksson och Bofors Bobcats har i dag kommit överens om att forwarden Loui Eriksson skall spela för Bofors i Superallsvenskan under januari månad.
Lånet gäller under perioden 19 januari och som längst till den 31 januari.
– Loui vill som alla andra hockeyspelare spela mer. När situationen är som den är och Bofors har många skador, tycker alla inblandade att den här lösningen är väldigt bra, säger Christer Kellgren, utvecklingsansvarig i Frölunda Hockey Club.
Loui Eriksson kommer att tillhöra Frölunda Hockey Clubs organisation under låneperioden. Det innebär att han i praktiken kan spela både med Frölundas HC och Bofors IK.
– Vi har möjlighet att kalla tillbaka Loui med kort varsel om vi till exempel får skador. Detta är möjligt tack vare regeln om juniorutlåning som ger en möjlighet till dispens från övergångsreglerna, säger Christer Kellgren.
Debuten för Loui Eriksson sker troligen redan i morgon kväll hemma i Nobelhallen när Bobcats möter Björklöven.
Thanks ahead of time to Robertsson, since he'll probably do this one just like he's pounced on the last 2 I've posted
Frölunda Hockey Club, Loui Eriksson och Bofors Bobcats
Loui Eriksson will play for Bofors in SuperAllsvenskan between 19 and 31 January (at his own request), but he can also represent Frölunda during that period. That rule is only for junior players and players born 1984 in order to maximize their ice time.
But don´t expect him to play for Frölunda unless they suffer injuries, or the lockout ends...