HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Silfverberg-Zibanejad vs Tarasenko-Schwartz vs Coyle-Granlund

View Poll Results: who do you want?
Zibanejad-Silfverberg 42 19.00%
Schwartz-Tarasenko 116 52.49%
Coyle-Granlund 63 28.51%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-23-2012, 09:17 PM
Juxtaposer
Window: Closed

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdasman04 View Post
To say he went from a mans league to a boys league and that hes only dominating 17 year olds when you're talking about any CHL league vs US college hockey is ridiculous. You're really not gonna win an argument with many ppl by saying NCAA>CHL ffs lol

I respect your opinion, but I too have seen them both a lot. My opinion happens to be Coyle>>Schwartz
I don't know how that's ridiculous at all. It's much easier to play against teenagers when you're a 6'2'' 205 than it is to play against 22 year olds.

So tell me, what changed between him going to the CHL from BU. Tell me, why his he playing so well all of a sudden?

Juxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:20 PM
cdasman04

vCash: 500
So theres only 17 year old teenagers in the CHL and theres only 22 year olds in college?

Lets forget who produces more straight to the NHL talent for a second and focus on that stupid short sighted comment lol

Really man, I don't want to argue this with you because to me its beyond insane.

cdasman04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:26 PM
Sensation

Tarasenko-Schwartz
Zibanejad-Silfverberg
Coyle-Granlund

Sensation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:35 PM
Juxtaposer

Quote:
So theres only 17 year old teenagers in the CHL and theres only 22 year olds in college?

Lets forget who produces more straight to the NHL talent for a second and focus on that stupid short sighted comment lol

Really man, I don't want to argue this with you because to me its beyond insane.
Did I say that there are only 17 year olds in the CHL and only 22 year olds in the NCAA? I didn't. I specifically said "teenagers" in the CHL a couple of times. And as far as the NCAA go, many of the top players are 21 and 22.

Please, I just want to hear your argument for why Coyle's production exploded when he went to the CHL.

Old
04-23-2012, 09:39 PM
3 Minute Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I watched a ton of Coyle when he was at BU. I know who I'm talking about. It just doesn't impress me to see him go from a man's team to a boy's team and dominate everyone, let alone a QMJHL team that was already the consensus powerhouse. He's 20 years old and strong as an ox, if he weren't dominating 17 year old kids, I'd be worried.

I disagree that he's NHL-ready. He needs a year in the AHL. yes, he definitely has 2nd line potential. But I see him just as easily being a good tweener.

As I said, I watched a lot of him in college. I don't have access to viewing him in the Q, but like I said, dominating teenagers on an amazing junior team doesn't impress me like if he were putting up even half of those numbers at BU.
The only thing I get from this is that you think NCAA players are better than CHL players. Seems like Boston had a lot of off-ice distractions that might have affected his play... the fact that he left the school pretty much confirms my assumption.

3 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:42 PM
3 Minute Minor

Quote:
Did I say that there are only 17 year olds in the CHL and only 22 year olds in the NCAA? I didn't. I specifically said "teenagers" in the CHL a couple of times. And as far as the NCAA go, many of the top players are 21 and 22.

Please, I just want to hear your argument for why Coyle's production exploded when he went to the CHL.
Quote:
if he weren't dominating 17 year old kids, I'd be worried
You specifically said 17 year old kids in the above quote to try to prove your point... You were trying to discredit the league because of it's age group. We get it, you don't like the CHL but that doesn't make Charlie Coyle any less impressive. Believe it or the CHL gets way more quality NHL prospects than the NCAA so maybe impressive play here can be impressive.

Old
04-23-2012, 09:42 PM
Juxtaposer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Thilander View Post
The only thing I get from this is that you think NCAA players are better than CHL players. Seems like Boston had a lot of off-ice distractions that might have affected his play... the fact that he left the school pretty much confirms my assumption.
That's not the case at all. You're reading far too much into my words. What I'm saying is that compared to his peers at BU (specifically Alex Chiasson and Matt Nieto), Coyle didn't look like the powerhouse you all describe him as.

Quote:
You specifically said 17 year old kids in the above quote to try to prove your point... You were trying to discredit the league because of it's age group. We get it, you don't like the CHL but that doesn't make Charlie Coyle any less impressive. Believe it or not the quality of prospects that come through the CHL have been way better than the NCAA so maybe impressive play here can be impressive.
That doesn't imply that there are only 17 year olds. It implies that there are 17 year olds, and you are conveniently ignoring the fact that I said in other posts "teenagers", which is clearly acknowledging the existence of 19 year olds.

Old
04-23-2012, 09:44 PM
3 Minute Minor

Quote:
That's not the case at all. You're reading far too much into my words. What I'm saying is that compared to his peers at BU (specifically Alex Chiasson and Matt Nieto), Coyle didn't look like the powerhouse you all describe him as.
So you can compare to Coyle to Chiasson and Nieto and say he isn't good but we can't compare him to Huberdeau (3rd overall pick and considered one of the top NHL prospects, reigning Mem Cup MVP.) and say he is good? Seems fair

Quote:
That doesn't imply that there are only 17 year olds. It implies that there are 17 year olds, and you are conveniently ignoring the fact that I said in other posts "teenagers", which is clearly acknowledging the existence of 19 year olds.

You specifically said 17 years old for a reason. You can say what you want now but it was pretty obvious what you were trying to imply. The number of 17 year olds in the CHL are pretty low. The majority of players are 18 & 19 by this time of year and there are 20 year olds on each team as well, which Coyle is typically matched up against.

Old
04-23-2012, 09:50 PM
cdasman04

Well first off, I never thought he was being used properly at BU. Judging by some comments made by the coach, I get the feeling they weren't on the same wave length. Not to even mention some rumored off ice stuff with that team..

Nonetheless, I agree NCAA can in a sense play tighter (Coyle was still producing near the top of his team on a very short season... and certain NCAA leagues play much tighter than others)... now, as for him moving to the Q... do I think he's a 2.4 ppg player? No. But I think he's stepped onto a team, with a ton of leadership and skill and outshone every single player on the ice. Yes, he's been much better than Jonathan Huberdeau even since he got there. That's probably what has caught Canada's eye the most. He has taken over a team that was so obviously Huberdeau's it was insane to think anyone could step in and outdo him. You use his size as an example as to why? So what... his size is what makes him a power forward. He JUST turned 20. He'll still fill out even more, to upgrade from a CHL power forward to an NHL power forward. Mix that with his scoring ability in an around the net and to me its not even close with Schwartz, sorry. Schwartz is a good scoring player. But he's small and he doesn't do the little things overly well.

Old
04-23-2012, 09:52 PM
Juxtaposer

Quote:
So you can compare to Coyle to Chiasson and Nieto and say he isn't good but we can't compare him to Huberdeau (3rd overall pick and considered one of the top NHL prospects, reigning Mem Cup MVP.) and say he is good? Seems fair
I'm just looking for an explanation for why Coyle went off as soon as he went to the Q. Nobody wants to answer me, it seems.

(Nieto and Chiasson are about Coyle's age, Huberdeau is more than a year younger, just as an aside )

EDIT: Okay, thank you.

Quote:
Well first off, I never thought he was being used properly at BU. Judging by some comments made by the coach, I get the feeling they weren't on the same wave length. Not to even mention some rumored off ice stuff with that team..

Nonetheless, I agree NCAA can in a sense play tighter (Coyle was still producing near the top of his team on a very short season... and certain NCAA leagues play much tighter than others)... now, as for him moving to the Q... do I think he's a 2.4 ppg player? No. But I think he's stepped onto a team, with a ton of leadership and skill and outshone every single player on the ice. Yes, he's been much better than Jonathan Huberdeau even since he got there. That's probably what has caught Canada's eye the most. He has taken over a team that was so obviously Huberdeau's it was insane to think anyone could step in and outdo him. You use his size as an example as to why? So what... his size is what makes him a power forward. He JUST turned 20. He'll still fill out even more, to upgrade from a CHL power forward to an NHL power forward. Mix that with his scoring ability in an around the net and to me its not even close with Schwartz, sorry. Schwartz is a good scoring player. But he's small and he doesn't do the little things overly well.

Old
04-23-2012, 09:54 PM
cdasman04

Quote:
I'm just looking for an explanation for why Coyle went off as soon as he went to the Q. Nobody wants to answer me, it seems.

(Nieto and Chiasson are about Coyle's age, Huberdeau is more than a year younger, just as an aside )

EDIT: Okay, thank you.
so Nieto and Chiasson are better than Huberdeau is right now as we speak? Had nothing to do with the system and problems going on at BU....

Old
04-23-2012, 10:08 PM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. He's 19 and he could already hold his own on an NHL third line... He'll crack Minnesota's top 6 pretty quickly.
You understand Coyle is currently putting up 2.4 points per game in the playoffs with Saint John and making it look effortless? When he came over from Boston College, I didn't really think much of it. I was blown away at how big and strong this kid is already. He's probably the most NHL ready of this group, physically. I'm not saying he's going to go and produce more points than the rest of the guys in this grouping. Simply saying he's the one guy who looks like he'll have no problem playing an 82 schedule against grown men.
Just to play devil's advocate here... And I have nothing against coyle, I'm a big Sea Dogs fan... But I saw you were comparing him to Huberdeau or something like that !

Coyle has 24 points in 10 playoffs games... He had TWO 6-points game to start his playoffs against arguably the worst team in the Q... That's half of his points in the playoffs in two small games.

But I still agree he looks dominant and one heck of a prospect... He is no Cam Neely though and no Minnesota's savior... That title belongs to Mikael Granlund !

BabyJagrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:32 PM
HalbertGil*

Tarasenko
Granlund
Silfverberg
Coyle
Zibenejad
Schwartz

HalbertGil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:35 PM
Mike Liut

Some of you guys are really selling Schwartz short. The dude will fill out and he is loaded with hockey smarts. Very, very smart player. He looks like a PPG player to me. Similar to Amac.

Mike Liut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:59 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 750
Seems like there is a lot of Coyle and Schwartz talk in this thread... But what about Granlund?

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:04 PM
usernam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Seems like there is a lot of Coyle and Schwartz talk in this thread... But what about Granlund?
Who?

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:05 PM
Poundcake
Esquire

Hall-Hopkins-Yakupov?

Poundcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:16 PM
usernam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohaj View Post
Hall-Hopkins-Yakupov?
Yeah because that would make this poll fair and interesting.

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:20 PM
Victorious Secret
Torchetti 4 Prez

Quote:
Hall-Hopkins-Yakupov?
Who invited this guy?

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:36 PM
Meatwagon
Blues=Overrated

Quote:
Hall-Hopkins-Yakupov?

The only player on the list that's a prospect is Yakupov.

And it's not a forgone conclusion that Edmonton drafts him, they'd be stupid not too, but stranger things have happened.

Meatwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:46 PM
RipCityPuckers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwagon View Post
The only player on the list that's a prospect is Yakupov.

And it's not a forgone conclusion that Edmonton drafts him, they'd be stupid not too, but stranger things have happened.
If they stay at 1 I would bet everything I own that they take Yakupov

RipCityPuckers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 12:07 AM
Victorious Secret
Torchetti 4 Prez

They'd trade waaaaaaaaaaaaaay before taking someone other than Yakupov.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 01:39 AM
Manny*

St. Louis

Ottawa
Minnesota

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 04:59 AM
JAS 39 Gripen

Quote:
Hall-Hopkins-Yakupov?
go hide beneth a rock or something

JAS 39 Gripen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 05:29 AM
TerminatorBlue

I'm divided, I Live in Saint John and the Blues are my favorite team I can say Coyle is the real deal though. I will say Tarasenko-Schwartz but only if Tarasenko can meet his potential.

TerminatorBlue is offline   Reply With Quote