HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Silfverberg-Zibanejad vs Tarasenko-Schwartz vs Coyle-Granlund

View Poll Results: who do you want?
Zibanejad-Silfverberg 42 19.00%
Schwartz-Tarasenko 116 52.49%
Coyle-Granlund 63 28.51%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-23-2012, 09:17 PM
  #26
Juxtaposer
Window: Closed
 
Juxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bay Area
Country: United States
Posts: 33,474
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdasman04 View Post
To say he went from a mans league to a boys league and that hes only dominating 17 year olds when you're talking about any CHL league vs US college hockey is ridiculous. You're really not gonna win an argument with many ppl by saying NCAA>CHL ffs lol

I respect your opinion, but I too have seen them both a lot. My opinion happens to be Coyle>>Schwartz
I don't know how that's ridiculous at all. It's much easier to play against teenagers when you're a 6'2'' 205 than it is to play against 22 year olds.

So tell me, what changed between him going to the CHL from BU. Tell me, why his he playing so well all of a sudden?

Juxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:20 PM
  #27
cdasman04
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Orillia, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 520
vCash: 500
So theres only 17 year old teenagers in the CHL and theres only 22 year olds in college?

Lets forget who produces more straight to the NHL talent for a second and focus on that stupid short sighted comment lol

Really man, I don't want to argue this with you because to me its beyond insane.

cdasman04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:26 PM
  #28
Sensation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cary, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,444
vCash: 500
Tarasenko-Schwartz
Zibanejad-Silfverberg
Coyle-Granlund

Sensation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:35 PM
  #29
Juxtaposer
Window: Closed
 
Juxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bay Area
Country: United States
Posts: 33,474
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdasman04 View Post
So theres only 17 year old teenagers in the CHL and theres only 22 year olds in college?

Lets forget who produces more straight to the NHL talent for a second and focus on that stupid short sighted comment lol

Really man, I don't want to argue this with you because to me its beyond insane.
Did I say that there are only 17 year olds in the CHL and only 22 year olds in the NCAA? I didn't. I specifically said "teenagers" in the CHL a couple of times. And as far as the NCAA go, many of the top players are 21 and 22.

Please, I just want to hear your argument for why Coyle's production exploded when he went to the CHL.

Juxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:39 PM
  #30
3 Minute Minor
Registered User
 
3 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Denmark
Posts: 4,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I watched a ton of Coyle when he was at BU. I know who I'm talking about. It just doesn't impress me to see him go from a man's team to a boy's team and dominate everyone, let alone a QMJHL team that was already the consensus powerhouse. He's 20 years old and strong as an ox, if he weren't dominating 17 year old kids, I'd be worried.

I disagree that he's NHL-ready. He needs a year in the AHL. yes, he definitely has 2nd line potential. But I see him just as easily being a good tweener.



As I said, I watched a lot of him in college. I don't have access to viewing him in the Q, but like I said, dominating teenagers on an amazing junior team doesn't impress me like if he were putting up even half of those numbers at BU.
The only thing I get from this is that you think NCAA players are better than CHL players. Seems like Boston had a lot of off-ice distractions that might have affected his play... the fact that he left the school pretty much confirms my assumption.

3 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:42 PM
  #31
3 Minute Minor
Registered User
 
3 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Denmark
Posts: 4,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Did I say that there are only 17 year olds in the CHL and only 22 year olds in the NCAA? I didn't. I specifically said "teenagers" in the CHL a couple of times. And as far as the NCAA go, many of the top players are 21 and 22.

Please, I just want to hear your argument for why Coyle's production exploded when he went to the CHL.
Quote:
if he weren't dominating 17 year old kids, I'd be worried
You specifically said 17 year old kids in the above quote to try to prove your point... You were trying to discredit the league because of it's age group. We get it, you don't like the CHL but that doesn't make Charlie Coyle any less impressive. Believe it or the CHL gets way more quality NHL prospects than the NCAA so maybe impressive play here can be impressive.

3 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:42 PM
  #32
Juxtaposer
Window: Closed
 
Juxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bay Area
Country: United States
Posts: 33,474
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Thilander View Post
The only thing I get from this is that you think NCAA players are better than CHL players. Seems like Boston had a lot of off-ice distractions that might have affected his play... the fact that he left the school pretty much confirms my assumption.
That's not the case at all. You're reading far too much into my words. What I'm saying is that compared to his peers at BU (specifically Alex Chiasson and Matt Nieto), Coyle didn't look like the powerhouse you all describe him as.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Thilander View Post
You specifically said 17 year old kids in the above quote to try to prove your point... You were trying to discredit the league because of it's age group. We get it, you don't like the CHL but that doesn't make Charlie Coyle any less impressive. Believe it or not the quality of prospects that come through the CHL have been way better than the NCAA so maybe impressive play here can be impressive.
That doesn't imply that there are only 17 year olds. It implies that there are 17 year olds, and you are conveniently ignoring the fact that I said in other posts "teenagers", which is clearly acknowledging the existence of 19 year olds.

Juxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:44 PM
  #33
3 Minute Minor
Registered User
 
3 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Denmark
Posts: 4,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
That's not the case at all. You're reading far too much into my words. What I'm saying is that compared to his peers at BU (specifically Alex Chiasson and Matt Nieto), Coyle didn't look like the powerhouse you all describe him as.
So you can compare to Coyle to Chiasson and Nieto and say he isn't good but we can't compare him to Huberdeau (3rd overall pick and considered one of the top NHL prospects, reigning Mem Cup MVP.) and say he is good? Seems fair

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
That doesn't imply that there are only 17 year olds. It implies that there are 17 year olds, and you are conveniently ignoring the fact that I said in other posts "teenagers", which is clearly acknowledging the existence of 19 year olds.

You specifically said 17 years old for a reason. You can say what you want now but it was pretty obvious what you were trying to imply. The number of 17 year olds in the CHL are pretty low. The majority of players are 18 & 19 by this time of year and there are 20 year olds on each team as well, which Coyle is typically matched up against.

3 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:50 PM
  #34
cdasman04
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Orillia, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 520
vCash: 500
Well first off, I never thought he was being used properly at BU. Judging by some comments made by the coach, I get the feeling they weren't on the same wave length. Not to even mention some rumored off ice stuff with that team..

Nonetheless, I agree NCAA can in a sense play tighter (Coyle was still producing near the top of his team on a very short season... and certain NCAA leagues play much tighter than others)... now, as for him moving to the Q... do I think he's a 2.4 ppg player? No. But I think he's stepped onto a team, with a ton of leadership and skill and outshone every single player on the ice. Yes, he's been much better than Jonathan Huberdeau even since he got there. That's probably what has caught Canada's eye the most. He has taken over a team that was so obviously Huberdeau's it was insane to think anyone could step in and outdo him. You use his size as an example as to why? So what... his size is what makes him a power forward. He JUST turned 20. He'll still fill out even more, to upgrade from a CHL power forward to an NHL power forward. Mix that with his scoring ability in an around the net and to me its not even close with Schwartz, sorry. Schwartz is a good scoring player. But he's small and he doesn't do the little things overly well.

cdasman04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:52 PM
  #35
Juxtaposer
Window: Closed
 
Juxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bay Area
Country: United States
Posts: 33,474
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Thilander View Post
So you can compare to Coyle to Chiasson and Nieto and say he isn't good but we can't compare him to Huberdeau (3rd overall pick and considered one of the top NHL prospects, reigning Mem Cup MVP.) and say he is good? Seems fair
I'm just looking for an explanation for why Coyle went off as soon as he went to the Q. Nobody wants to answer me, it seems.

(Nieto and Chiasson are about Coyle's age, Huberdeau is more than a year younger, just as an aside )

EDIT: Okay, thank you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cdasman04 View Post
Well first off, I never thought he was being used properly at BU. Judging by some comments made by the coach, I get the feeling they weren't on the same wave length. Not to even mention some rumored off ice stuff with that team..

Nonetheless, I agree NCAA can in a sense play tighter (Coyle was still producing near the top of his team on a very short season... and certain NCAA leagues play much tighter than others)... now, as for him moving to the Q... do I think he's a 2.4 ppg player? No. But I think he's stepped onto a team, with a ton of leadership and skill and outshone every single player on the ice. Yes, he's been much better than Jonathan Huberdeau even since he got there. That's probably what has caught Canada's eye the most. He has taken over a team that was so obviously Huberdeau's it was insane to think anyone could step in and outdo him. You use his size as an example as to why? So what... his size is what makes him a power forward. He JUST turned 20. He'll still fill out even more, to upgrade from a CHL power forward to an NHL power forward. Mix that with his scoring ability in an around the net and to me its not even close with Schwartz, sorry. Schwartz is a good scoring player. But he's small and he doesn't do the little things overly well.

Juxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:54 PM
  #36
cdasman04
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Orillia, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I'm just looking for an explanation for why Coyle went off as soon as he went to the Q. Nobody wants to answer me, it seems.

(Nieto and Chiasson are about Coyle's age, Huberdeau is more than a year younger, just as an aside )

EDIT: Okay, thank you.
so Nieto and Chiasson are better than Huberdeau is right now as we speak? Had nothing to do with the system and problems going on at BU....

cdasman04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:08 PM
  #37
BabyJagrov
Registered User
 
BabyJagrov's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Under the Sunshine
Country: St Pierre and Miquelon
Posts: 3,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Thilander View Post
Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. He's 19 and he could already hold his own on an NHL third line... He'll crack Minnesota's top 6 pretty quickly.
You understand Coyle is currently putting up 2.4 points per game in the playoffs with Saint John and making it look effortless? When he came over from Boston College, I didn't really think much of it. I was blown away at how big and strong this kid is already. He's probably the most NHL ready of this group, physically. I'm not saying he's going to go and produce more points than the rest of the guys in this grouping. Simply saying he's the one guy who looks like he'll have no problem playing an 82 schedule against grown men.
Just to play devil's advocate here... And I have nothing against coyle, I'm a big Sea Dogs fan... But I saw you were comparing him to Huberdeau or something like that !

Coyle has 24 points in 10 playoffs games... He had TWO 6-points game to start his playoffs against arguably the worst team in the Q... That's half of his points in the playoffs in two small games.

But I still agree he looks dominant and one heck of a prospect... He is no Cam Neely though and no Minnesota's savior... That title belongs to Mikael Granlund !

BabyJagrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:32 PM
  #38
HalbertGil*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: mongolia
Country: Laos
Posts: 767
vCash: 500
Tarasenko
Granlund
Silfverberg
Coyle
Zibenejad
Schwartz

HalbertGil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:35 PM
  #39
Mike Liut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 8,504
vCash: 50
Some of you guys are really selling Schwartz short. The dude will fill out and he is loaded with hockey smarts. Very, very smart player. He looks like a PPG player to me. Similar to Amac.

Mike Liut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:59 PM
  #40
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord
 
Minnesota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Country: United States
Posts: 21,061
vCash: 750
Seems like there is a lot of Coyle and Schwartz talk in this thread... But what about Granlund?

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:04 PM
  #41
usernam*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 4,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Seems like there is a lot of Coyle and Schwartz talk in this thread... But what about Granlund?
Who?

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:05 PM
  #42
Poundcake
Esquire
 
Poundcake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 14,710
vCash: 50
Hall-Hopkins-Yakupov?

Poundcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:16 PM
  #43
usernam*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 4,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohaj View Post
Hall-Hopkins-Yakupov?
Yeah because that would make this poll fair and interesting.

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:20 PM
  #44
Victorious Secret
Torchetti 4 Prez
 
Victorious Secret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Country: Ireland
Posts: 13,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohaj View Post
Hall-Hopkins-Yakupov?
Who invited this guy?

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:36 PM
  #45
Meatwagon
Blues=Overrated
 
Meatwagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bi-polar Express
Country: United States
Posts: 2,108
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohaj View Post
Hall-Hopkins-Yakupov?

The only player on the list that's a prospect is Yakupov.

And it's not a forgone conclusion that Edmonton drafts him, they'd be stupid not too, but stranger things have happened.

Meatwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:46 PM
  #46
RipCityPuckers
Registered User
 
RipCityPuckers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwagon View Post
The only player on the list that's a prospect is Yakupov.

And it's not a forgone conclusion that Edmonton drafts him, they'd be stupid not too, but stranger things have happened.
If they stay at 1 I would bet everything I own that they take Yakupov

RipCityPuckers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 12:07 AM
  #47
Victorious Secret
Torchetti 4 Prez
 
Victorious Secret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Country: Ireland
Posts: 13,639
vCash: 500
They'd trade waaaaaaaaaaaaaay before taking someone other than Yakupov.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 01:39 AM
  #48
Manny*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,200
vCash: 500
St. Louis

Ottawa
Minnesota

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 04:59 AM
  #49
JAS 39 Gripen
Registered User
 
JAS 39 Gripen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohaj View Post
Hall-Hopkins-Yakupov?
go hide beneth a rock or something

JAS 39 Gripen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 05:29 AM
  #50
TerminatorBlue
Registered User
 
TerminatorBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,672
vCash: 500
I'm divided, I Live in Saint John and the Blues are my favorite team I can say Coyle is the real deal though. I will say Tarasenko-Schwartz but only if Tarasenko can meet his potential.

TerminatorBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.