HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Recommendations from Shanny's summit

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2004, 08:45 PM
Laches

vCash: 500
Recommendations from Shanny's summit

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...56&hubName=nhl

Some interesting ideas, kudos to Shanny for doing something constructive during the lockout.

Old
12-08-2004, 09:55 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

I hate the concept of a shootout and want nothing to do with it. The rest of the recommendations are nothing new and most would help the game. I would also add having to serve a full minor penalty to the list. Power plays have become less and less important in the age of defense. Being down a man for the full two minutes will give that much more time in the offensive zone.

Old
12-08-2004, 10:34 PM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
I hate the concept of a shootout and want nothing to do with it.
I agree that it seems too gimmicky and "arcadish", but I have to believe that they'll become apart of the game once the lockout is settled. The general sports public likes the shootout and the NHL needs to do anything they can to kiss some major fan ass after all this.

Old
12-08-2004, 10:41 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

why not 10 minute overtime than a shootout? if teams are playing 4-4 hockey for 10 minutes a winner should be scored if not than the shootout.

Old
12-08-2004, 11:06 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Ten minute overtimes would be too long. Too long for players who have to play 3 games in 4 nights over a never ending season and too long for fans who have to work early the next day.

Although, I suspect the writing is on the wall about shootouts. Doesn't mean I'll ever like it.

Old
12-08-2004, 11:16 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Ten minute overtimes would be too long. Too long for players who have to play 3 games in 4 nights over a never ending season and too long for fans who have to work early the next day.

Although, I suspect the writing is on the wall about shootouts. Doesn't mean I'll ever like it.

I dont think 5 minutes more would make a huge difference on the players...its only 4 on 4 anyway..so what each player will play another 1 or 2 minutes more then they would with a regular 5 minute overtime.

Old
12-09-2004, 12:01 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:

i was looking for a way to make shootouts just as rare as penalty shots.

Old
12-09-2004, 12:43 AM
Chief

Maybe I'm just jaded but in the midst of a lockout that's jeopardizing the season, I really don't want to hear about a player holding a conference on how to make the game better.

Old
12-09-2004, 01:13 AM
nyr5186

Quote:
I disagree. Compared to other sports, a season hockey game is actually pretty short. Most games dont pass the 3 hour mark, unlike in baseball and football where just about every game is 3 hours plus. I dont think adding an extra 5 minutes to some of the games will make that big of a difference from a fan's perspective. In fact, it'll probably do only good by increasing the 4-on-4 action and result in less ties.

From a player's perspective, its not too much of a burden considering only a portion of the games go to OT in the first place. And you could still rest the players by having a television timeout after the 5-minute mark.

But I agree on the season being way too long and tiring. I would consider shortening it by 8-10 games.

Old
12-09-2004, 05:42 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
extra 5 in OT would be perfect

simply because the first 5 go by so damn quickly now.

Before you know it, the OT is over be it a team scoring, or time running out. And with the teams skating 4 on 4 it would make for a very entertaining 10 minutes.

I think the extra 5 would be sweet.

As for the 3 games in 4 nights, I don't think that the extra 5 minutes will be that detrimental. These guys are conditioned, alot of these guys ride the stationary bikes after games anyway, having an extra 5 would also allow the HC's the ability to expand his bench as well.

Old
12-09-2004, 06:37 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I hate the concept of a shootout and want nothing to do with it. The rest of the recommendations are nothing new and most would help the game. I would also add having to serve a full minor penalty to the list. Power plays have become less and less important in the age of defense. Being down a man for the full two minutes will give that much more time in the offensive zone.

I would lose OT altogether. Save it for the playoffs when its the most exciting anyway.

Old
12-09-2004, 08:30 AM
Fletch

Nothing real new...

but if someone lobbies to get these changes through, that would obviously be a good thing.

Old
12-09-2004, 09:21 AM
Nich

it is all about marketing. and when it comes down to it, a shootout will pull people into the building. which will in turn undo the concept of hockey not being exciting due to the god foresaken camera angles we use here in the states.

which i believe should be the first change. screw changin the net size, or goalie pad equipment. and change the red and blue lines like they have in the ahl.

anyway, i'm a new poster around here. been reading this site for about a year or more now, so i finally decided to contribute.

Old
12-09-2004, 09:22 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
it is all about marketing. and when it comes down to it, a shootout will pull people into the building. which will in turn undo the concept of hockey not being exciting due to the god foresaken camera angles we use here in the states.

which i believe should be the first change. screw changin the net size, or goalie pad equipment. and change the red and blue lines like they have in the ahl.

anyway, i'm a new poster around here. been reading this site for about a year or more now, so i finally decided to contribute.
Welcome to the board!

Old
12-09-2004, 09:23 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

What no one has addressed is the fact that a game tied

after regulation is worth more total points than a game settled in regulation. They need to go to 3 points for a win and in games settled in OT, the winner gets 2 points, the loser 1. A win in regulation has to be worth more than an OT win. When you play non conference games its like watching pond hockey in OT. Exciting yes, but it diminishes the integrity of the because you don't care if you lose as the opponent is not going to get an "extra point" from your own conference.

Old
12-09-2004, 09:28 AM
Fletch

Nich...

why would a shootout pull people into the building exactly? In reality, how many games actually go into overtime? 1/3? So people would be coming to games for that 33% chance there's a shootout? Honestly, four-on-four OT hockey is more exciting than a shootout because it involves more than a skater, a puck and a goalie. It involves action, often end-to-end, and it ivolves other member of each team. Plays develop. People get hit. Saves are made. If at the end it's tie, who really cares? Do you ever leave a hard-fought contest saying, wow, netiher team deserved to lose? I have. And that's a tie.

Old
12-09-2004, 10:06 AM
Nich

see that's the thing Fletch, to me and you, we know this. but to people who aren't fans, a penalty shot is one of the most exciting plays in sports.

you can't look at it at as a fan. you are a fan, and that won't change. but to everyday people, hockey is a boring sport they don't understand. and a 1/3 chance of overtime would still give some good exposure to the casual fan.

Old
12-09-2004, 10:09 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
see that's the thing Fletch, to me and you, we know this. but to people who aren't fans, a penalty shot is one of the most exciting plays in sports.

you can't look at it at as a fan. you are a fan, and that won't change. but to everyday people, hockey is a boring sport they don't understand. and a 1/3 chance of overtime would still give some good exposure to the casual fan.
I think the penalty shot is so exciting because it's a novelty. They are very rare.

Personally, I would like to get rid of OT altogether. And I want no part of a game being decided by penalty shots.

Old
12-09-2004, 10:19 AM
Nich

which is understandable. i personally think golden goal ot, but that's just me.

but this isn't about us, it is about being able to market a sport seen as a 5th sport (yes behind nascar), which we all know to be one of the best sports around.

Old
12-09-2004, 10:49 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
But Bettman's plan is to have hockey become a game for the masses. One that relies on gimmicks to draw in the marginal fan. If the health of the game is measured in TV ratings and attendance in expansion markets, which it appearently is, then these marginal fans become the driving force behind the way the game evolves.

Old
12-09-2004, 11:07 AM
Fletch

Nich...

I do understand (and we'll see how the experiment works in the AHL), but again, how many more people will come out if they thought that there would be a shootout, even though odds were against a shootout (if after OT, it's probably less than 20% - I don't have exact numbers, but I think these round #'s are good enough to make the point). Before shootouts, there's so many other things to try - like calling penalties, normal-sized goalie equipment, offsides, etc.

Closed Thread