HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

All NHL/Anti-Rangers Officiating Discussion

Old
04-22-2012, 10:01 PM
js10

vCash: 500
All NHL/Anti-Rangers Officiating Discussion

(!!this thread is not criticizing coach John Tortorella!!)

This kind of idea just hit me. Torts is just very opinionated and vocal coach. (And I admit I like it). He speaks against the referees that made very questionable decisions in the game and basically speaks what all other are afraid to say. Yes, sometimes he goes overboard, but lot of time he hits the nail on the head. This year he was complaining quite a lot and basically everything what he says is not liked by directors running the NHL because it is saying that things are not right and they are not doing their job right, from directors down to referees. In my personal view, this first round, NHL is just not treating both teams equally when suspensions are skewed only one way for same kind of consequences.

So is there any chance, they do not want Rangers to go to second round because they just don't want to have Torts around speaking his mind pointing at their own incompetence? Would it be beneficial for NHL if Rangers lost in the first round? Or, if situation is unclear, is it possible that they rather make a decision in favor of Ottawa?

(please keep in mind I realize that game 5 loss was totally Ranger's fault, I am not blaming referees.)

js10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 10:03 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Its the nhl, who knows what extreme they will go to now that their god, crosby, is out early.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 10:04 PM
Rangers2319

rangers are a big market team so i would have to disagree. It would attract more ppl to watch hockey bc a "ny" team is in plus ratings nbc would get

Rangers2319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 10:04 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

No professional sports league roots against New York.

Stop grasping at straws. C'mon man.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 10:06 PM
js10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers2319 View Post
rangers are a big market team so i would have to disagree. It would attract more ppl to watch hockey bc a "ny" team is in plus ratings nbc would get
But at the same time they would like to save one Canadian team in the playoff run...

Old
04-22-2012, 10:07 PM
BigDaddyNYR
Calgary Flames GM

Why wouldnt the NHL want a New York team to succeed???

HUGE market. A stanley cup appearance would do wonders for ratings if a New York team was in it.

BigDaddyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 10:07 PM
Dimz92

These threads get better and better each day... Remember the ratings for hockey in 94 when rangers reached finals? NYC would go insane if rangers won, NHL wouldn't want that?

Dimz92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 10:08 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Yeah this is just silly.

New York Rangers are a flagship franchise. NBC would be doing cartwheels if we were to go deep in the playoffs.

This league is not against the NYR. Maybe some issues or bias with certain individuals but not the franchise.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 10:10 PM
js10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyNYR View Post
Why wouldnt the NHL want a New York team to succeed???

HUGE market. A stanley cup appearance would do wonders for ratings if a New York team was in it.
from the same (vague) reason I stated above.. Torts is pointing at things a lot and having him around is for them a recipe for PR disaster

Old
04-22-2012, 10:10 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by js10 View Post
But at the same time they would like to save one Canadian team in the playoff run...
Because....?

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 10:13 PM
js10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimz92 View Post
These threads get better and better each day... Remember the ratings for hockey in 94 when rangers reached finals? NYC would go insane if rangers won, NHL wouldn't want that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Yeah this is just silly.

New York Rangers are a flagship franchise. NBC would be doing cartwheels if we were to go deep in the playoffs.

This league is not against the NYR. Maybe some issues or bias with certain individuals but not the franchise.
thanks guys for your opinions.. yes, it might sound silly but one never knows these days.

Old
04-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

The only organization that seemingly doesn't want the Rangers to succeed is....the Rangers.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 11:05 PM
dynamoovechkin

The only team the league does not want to see succeed is whomever is playing the penguins. The Flyers can expect a nice steaming pile of poo on their doorstep courtesy of Bettman and Co.

By the way, it was the wierdest thing, I found myself rooting for Philadelphia! I feel so dirty. Never saw that coming.

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 11:09 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Forget Torts. Everyone forgets that the Rangers outright defied the NHL over the website issue. I love how people think that the league just forgot our "insolence."

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 11:22 PM
nyrmetros

The nhl needs 1 Canadian team in the playoffs. The rangers are not as important for the league if all the Canadian teams are not out..

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 11:34 PM
McDunna with Fries

Everyone wants NY to succeed becuase it's such a huge market. What doesnt make sense is why the NHL isn't protecting the rangers like they are with the pens. They shouldn't play favorites, period, but if you are, why not protect NY?

McDunna with Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 11:50 PM
machphantom

The only thing I will say is that I wish the NHL rewarded investing in prospects more in terms of the salary cap. It would have saved us from all those horrible trades and allowed for this Rangers Renaissance to occur years ago. That being said the NHL is not rooting against the Rangers.

machphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 11:56 PM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

ridiculous. the only thing preventing the rangers from winning is their offense

Ryan McDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:08 AM
rickyrod

It's not the NHL's fault that we haven't had an answer for Karlsson, Konopka or Neil this series, nor that we don't know how to move the puck on the power play. Unless there was a stand still and count to three before shooting edict that I didn't hear about.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:36 AM
satrabyk

No Ott has been the better team and they are ahead in the series, its that simple. Now put ourselves in a tough spot, even if we play good in tomorrows game, if Anderson stands on his head, we can be in trouble in a must win situation.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:37 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

The only one to blame for the Rangers bump in the road here is Craig Anderson.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:38 AM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrod View Post
It's not the NHL's fault that we haven't had an answer for Karlsson, Konopka or Neil this series, nor that we don't know how to move the puck on the power play. Unless there was a stand still and count to three before shooting edict that I didn't hear about.
YOu have to put the blame largely on Richards he slows it down way too much and kills any flow on the PP. He looking for a one shot one play, when the way to work a PP is get as many quality chances as you can by constantly moving on and off the puck and always give threats for a shot. We dont do this. Plus we are weak in Gaborik down low in protecting and retrieving pucks.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:54 AM
rickyrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
YOu have to put the blame largely on Richards he slows it down way too much and kills any flow on the PP. He looking for a one shot one play, when the way to work a PP is get as many quality chances as you can by constantly moving on and off the puck and always give threats for a shot. We dont do this. Plus we are weak in Gaborik down low in protecting and retrieving pucks.
Richards is part of the problem, but it's a whole team problem. We can't even get into the zone against Ottawa because they stand us up at the blue line and we don't have the awareness to dump and chase with any kind of speed or urgency. Every dump goes right to Anderson or the retrieving DMan who can clear it right out. We used to cross ice dump against trap teams all the time. Can't remember the last time we did that. Very slow passing, no movement on either unit. When we do get a shot in, there is often no traffic (or too much traffic) and no one to put in a rebound or deflect. We almost never take one timers, instead opting to count to three before shooting which is probably the thing that annoys me the most about the power play. It's frustrating because it seems to be something that haunts the club as a whole, regardless of who the coaches or players are.

The players can do it. We've seen them do it. When they move their feet and pass quickly, it's a successful power play. They had a few runs this season and then go right back to standing still and trying to force low percentage passes and shots through. And for some reason it gets even worse with 5-on-3.

I think when we look back on this season, it'll be Carkner's 5 minute major that we barely got into the zone during that really hurt us the most (and the fact that they scored -- a dirty one at the end, which hurts even more -- on Hagelin's 5 minute major).

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:58 AM
Vidic15

Lots of random posters in this thread that don't usually post. The NHL definitely has a bias, but the Rangers have been beating themselves. All the random posters need to go back the NHL offices.

Vidic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 02:11 AM
Cake or Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Yeah this is just silly.

It really, really is.

Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote