HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Series Talk - WCSF - #3 Phoenix Coyotes 4 vs #4 Nashville Predators 1

Old
04-29-2012, 12:57 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Yip gets hated on because people think he's just another interchangeable 4th liner that doesn't "show promise", isn't "a prospect", doesn't "need playing time", etc. My take on him is he doesn't really do anything that truly hurts us when he plays. To an extent, the majority of 4th liners are interchangeable in some way or another I just feel like some people think Yip isn't a great choice because he doesn't get people excited (although he's often a solid player) when we have guys like Wilson and Smith who aren't playing.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 01:11 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
My take on him is he doesn't really do anything that truly hurts us when he plays.
Safe is death.

I'd much rather see Tootoo or Halishuck in lieu of Yip. Tootoo has been VERY effective for us in the past in the playoffs.

Our bigger problem lies on our scoring lines-- after all these are the guys eating significant ice time. I can't believe we are still waiting for SK and Fisher to get their act together. It's been 20 games of virtually nothing. At least in Fishers case his compete level is high-- it's just his offensive confidence is shot right now.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Safe is death.

I'd much rather see Tootoo or Halishuck in lieu of Yip. Tootoo has been VERY effective for us in the past in the playoffs.

Our bigger problem lies on our scoring lines-- after all these are the guys eating significant ice time. I can't believe we are still waiting for SK and Fisher to get their act together. It's been 20 games of virtually nothing. At least in Fishers case his compete level is high-- it's just his offensive confidence is shot right now.
I won't disagree that our 4th line is the least of our problems, but I'm going to assume Tootoo isn't playing because he hasn't deserved it for whatever reason (obviously). He has been good in the playoffs in the recent past, but apparently that's not good enough compared to what he's been doing in games and practices recently. I trust the staff is making the right decisions regarding who to put on the ice and who to sit.

As far as "safe is death": It doesn't kill us to be safe with 4th liners.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 01:52 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
As far as "safe is death": It doesn't kill us to be safe with 4th liners.
It could if you're 1st and 2nd line players aren't producing.

See Joel Ward last year or Brad Marchant. 3rd/4th liners who had a major impact.

Yip has no chance of having that type of impact. Halishuk does. Tootoo had a huge impact vs Anaheim last year.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 01:58 PM
predwings

We need to come out and establish the tempo this game and get PHX down a goal or two early. Once they are playing from behind..they just aren't as hard to beat.

predwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 02:03 PM
glenngineer

Imagine what happens if we play like we did in the third and OT and win some more faceoffs? We should win the series if that happens. Not going to panic or freak out just yet. We played great the other night once we got our legs back. Things will fall into place.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 02:03 PM
cleangene

Quote:
Originally Posted by predwings View Post
We need to come out and establish the tempo this game and get PHX down a goal or two early. Once they are playing from behind..they just aren't as hard to beat.
THIS. Preds HAVE to score first. That is all.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 04:16 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
It could if you're 1st and 2nd line players aren't producing.

See Joel Ward last year or Brad Marchant. 3rd/4th liners who had a major impact.

Yip has no chance of having that type of impact. Halishuk does. Tootoo had a huge impact vs Anaheim last year.
this.

I would have halischuk and wilson in tonight. if wilson doesn't meet trotz's style of play, go with tootoo in game 3 at home. energy purposes alone.. I think toots could be very effective against phoenix. if toots wets the bed, then go with smith/yip. regardless, I think halischuk should be in every game.

if sk struggles tonight, maybe scratch him in game 3 (won't ever happen) .. I just hate seeing our "top" line struggle game in game out. its imperative they start getting on the score sheet.

NoNecksCurse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 09:59 PM
MrMariusz

Alright, shake it off, and win at home.

MrMariusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 10:01 PM
Legionnaire11

Preds have 5 lines of depth... please, please, please when we're back home and Trotz gets line matchups, please roll 4 lines!!!! having this kind of depth is useless if you shorten the bench, and it also means you're more often rolling two lines (Fisher, Legwand) who haven't been getting anything done since before the playoffs even started.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 10:30 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
THIS. Preds HAVE to score first. That is all.
Yes, this is imperative. Yotes scored that first one, I looked over at my wife and said 'Well, this one's over.' The first goal seems to be vital for this team, which is one of many humps they are going to need to get over if they want to have any real shot at the Cup.

Iron Duke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 10:40 PM
predfan24

Preds are getting outworked and that is the difference. For a franchise that has prided itself on hard work since it's inception that is sad. Full marks to the Yotes they are beating us at our own game.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 10:43 PM
AEM6729

Big fail by the 1st and 2nd lines tonight. WTF are we going to do about them?!

LOL @ Trotz dropping SK to the 4th line and putting Yip in his spot. Not sure if Trotz really thinks Yip deserves that line, or if he was just trying to slap SK in the face as hard as possible...

...but if we're opening up spots on the first couple lines, maybe some more offensively-minded players (like Smith or Wilson) would be decent there.

Also, Trotz already alluded to the fact that we may see Ellis soon. After tonight you have to think he'll change the D lineup too.

Wonder what the lineup will look like for Game 3...and is all this lineup shuffling/uncertainty a good or bad thing for the team?

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 10:52 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
Yes, this is imperative. Yotes scored that first one, I looked over at my wife and said 'Well, this one's over.' The first goal seems to be vital for this team, which is one of many humps they are going to need to get over if they want to have any real shot at the Cup.
I had a sinking feeling when they scored as well. The problem is we're always playing catch up. If we could score 2 straight, that would be one thing. But we're matching their goals, then they score again to take the lead. We have yet to lead a second in this series. That is not good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
LOL @ Trotz dropping SK to the 4th line and putting Yip in his spot. Not sure if Trotz really thinks Yip deserves that line, or if he was just trying to slap SK in the face as hard as possible...
It looked like Trotz was just doing his typical line mash-up when we're struggling. I doubt it's permanent. Probably just trying to test to see if there would be a spark between certain players. I didn't see anything promising.

Yip isn't going to see 1st line minutes.

I'm really hoping that Peter Horacek scares these guys into winning game 3. I mean, the dude scares the crap out of me...on TV. Can't imagine what he's like in person.

BourqueBourqueBork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 11:01 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by BourqueBourqueBork View Post
I'm really hoping that Peter Horacek scares these guys into winning game 3. I mean, the dude scares the crap out of me...on TV. Can't imagine what he's like in person.
His interview before the 3rd period during Game 4 (I think that's when it was) was amazing. He was PISSED. And it was awesome/terrifying.

I remember a story from a few years ago that he flipped out in the locker room and broke a door. Dude is scary.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 11:03 PM
INDhockeyfan

If Trotz puts Klein and Josi together again then he should be fired. They have been on the ice for 5 of the 8 even strength goals. Leggy line was -3 that line definitely needs a shakeup. Our top line has been ineffective for over a month and Trotz should have broken them up a long time ago. SK and Rads have been ineffective. Move them to the 4th line and see if that wakes them up. Tootoo plays on Wednesday. We need some kind of spark and maybe Toots can do it.

INDhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 11:04 PM
NoNecksCurse

yip taking sk's spot is a complete joke. my lord, trotz is pretty much on his knees for ol' yip at this point. if tootoo had taken the penalty yip did, he wouldn't see the ice the rest of the series... yip gets put on the 1st line... hmm..

speaking of I expect toots in on wednesday

Old
04-29-2012, 11:07 PM
predfan24

SK74 should be scratched period. He hasn't been good since weeks before the season ended. Wilson comes in tonight and had live legs. Scratch SK74 and Yip, put in Wilson and Tootoo next game.

Old
04-29-2012, 11:08 PM
PredsHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
SK74 should be scratched period. He hasn't been good since weeks before the season ended. Wilson comes in tonight and had live legs. Scratch SK74 and Yip, put in Wilson and Tootoo next game.
Tootoo should NOT touch the ice for the rest of the playoffs.

PredsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 11:09 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 11:10 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsHockey View Post
Why? Because of what he said in the paper last week? He would come in with a lot of energy especially at home. He would likely run around and make a few big hits and get the building going. That in itself is worth more than anything Yip brings especially when the team is getting outworked right now.

Old
04-29-2012, 11:10 PM
PredsHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcend View Post
HAHAHA THIS! I'm still super pissed and its been a while since the game ended. Honestly, I cant talk to anyone without yelling.

Old
04-29-2012, 11:14 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsHockey View Post
disagree.

have you watched the first 2 games? phoenix is on fire. maybe toots can get under their skin and get them off their game.

sk, fisher, legwand, yip, radulov, spaling have all looked crap some to alot of the times. nothing wrong in trying something different. we are getting owned at our own game.

Old
04-29-2012, 11:15 PM
PredsHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Why? Because of what he said in the paper last week? He would come in with a lot of energy especially at home. He would likely run around and make a few big hits and get the building going. That in itself is worth more than anything Yip brings especially when the team is getting outworked right now.
No, not that at all....while I agree Yip isnt the greatest of choices I would want out there, I don't think Toots brings much to the table at this point. It's obviously very angry he isn't playing and has a chip on his shoulder and while that could work in giving a spark to the team, I see it going the other way and Jordin taking too many chances and stupid penalties. I think he would be wanting to prove too much, and would hurt the team. I'd keep Yip over Toots at this point, but I wouldnt be surprised if Trotz decided to call his number this wednesday....I just don't like it

Old
04-29-2012, 11:18 PM
INDhockeyfan

All is not lost. We are down 2-0 but it could be worse we could have lost both at home. We need to get behind this team when they come home as the crowd could get them going again.

INDhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote